The New, But Not Improved Firmware Thread: 4.00 Currently Available

[quote name='shadowkast']It seems 3.70 was automatically downloaded while I was at work ( at least that's what it said when I booted it up). Then I couldn't get online with psn. So I restarted the system and now is prompting me to download 3.70 ?!?!?

Ok, so psn+ did download the update for me. It just didn't install it. Weird?[/QUOTE]

It does the same thing with downloaded games and demos too so it isn't that surprising, really. I can see the logic of not auto-installing downloaded programs on a computer, but on a console with only one legitimate path to access downloaded content? Not so much.

As long as online play itself remains free, i dont give a crap what they add that is PS+ exclusive, im with them all the way. If they decide one day to charge for online, i'll drop them in a moments notice. Luckily it seems sony realized that and is just adding fluff the fools seem to love and are willing to pay for, and good for them. Thats all free money for doing nothing different then before. I see no benefit to it personally, so ill remain non PS+ and not complain, since online for free is all i care about.

Man, this sucks so bad right now. I'm drunk and want to play online but now I gotta wait for this update and come on CAG to bitch about it. By the time it's done, I'll probably be passed out.

They have to do that for every update, which is why it never auto-installs since there would be legal issues if they didn't give you the chance to decline the update.

[quote name='retro.elite']Needing PSN+ for auto update is retarded, and now auto sync. It takes Sony programmers 3 years to figure out how get auto sync for trophies. Paying for a feature that is 3 years late what the fuck Sony.[/QUOTE]The auto sync does NOT automatically happen because the PSN account and PS3 user accounts are both separate. This auto synching only works the same way automatic downloads work, where it turns on the PS3 console at a certain time (not being used) to download and now sync trophies.

PS3 MUST be in standby for this to work though.

yay more shit nobody wants. not to sound like cheapest but when was the last time an update had anything in it remotely useful or entertaining?still hoping one day they allow you to view more media types on the ps3 but yeah itll never happen.

[quote name='lokizz']yay more shit nobody wants. not to sound like cheapest but when was the last time an update had anything in it remotely useful or entertaining?still hoping one day they allow you to view more media types on the ps3 but yeah itll never happen.[/QUOTE]

I thought you were cheapest at first.

Seriously, guys. Get over it.

[quote name='lokizz']still hoping one day they allow you to view more media types on the ps3 but yeah itll never happen.[/QUOTE]

Native Matroska support would be so wonderful as using media servers for 720p/1080p streams is not ideal.

Such a wonderful file format but oh what a pipe dream.:cry:

I'm on the opposite end of the updates debate in that I wish that the console makers would support full-on alpha/beta channels so the tech-savvy could opt-in and receive daily/nightly builds.(save files be damned!)

i love ps3 but damn. this update is going soooooo slow. i guess everyone needs to do it to play online but it is taking forever. I even canceled and reset my router and started again and it's only going slower. damn. i deleted 7 more gig thinking maybe it was slow due to space but nope, just slow. ugh.
and this is after i got the damn 14% installation error/corrupt data with a psn download earlier. i hope my ps3 isn't going to die. hoping it just needs a system file restore or delete/redownload. argh

[quote name='Velo214']i love ps3 but damn. this update is going soooooo slow. i guess everyone needs to do it to play online but it is taking forever. I even canceled and reset my router and started again and it's only going slower. damn. i deleted 7 more gig thinking maybe it was slow due to space but nope, just slow. ugh.
and this is after i got the damn 14% installation error/corrupt data with a psn download earlier. i hope my ps3 isn't going to die. hoping it just needs a system file restore or delete/redownload. argh[/QUOTE]

I did the whole thing in about 4 minutes. Mustve snuck in or something.

Thankfully I was already online playing a game last night when they decided to mandate this new firmware update. But now that I just wanted to pop on to tell a buddy of mine about the $21 GTA Complete on Amazon's Gold Box deals....BOOM....shitware update required.

Hopefully one of these FW updates will actually make the XMB load in faster while in a game cuz sometimes it seems to take forfuckinever.:roll:

"system stability during use of PS3 format software" probably means they fixed the issue I ran into when swapping out for a new hard drive recently. Used to be you could put in a new hard drive and start formatting, but one of the last few firmware updates broke that so that you had to plug in a flash drive with the current firmware in order to format a new hard drive.

For once the new firmware actually seemed to do something to benefit me. My automatic download feature had been broken since the update that added trophy auto-sync. After this week's update, my system is now correctly autodownloading once again.

While I am happy, I doubt this was an actual "fix" in the firmware. It seems more likely that the previous firmware corrupted something on install, and it was overwritten with the correct code when I installed the new firmware.

Now if only they would add the ability to for both of my PS3s to auto-update/auto-cloud sync.

I'm just going to throw this out there; has anyone else had odd network issues since the most recent firmware update?

The timing of the random disconnects and the date my wife applied the update match up, but I figure it might be coincidence.

Do you guys think the Ps3 can possibly have skype compatibility sometime in the future? I think its interesting that the PSP has it but the PS3 doesn't

[quote name='BattleChicken']I'm just going to throw this out there; has anyone else had odd network issues since the most recent firmware update?[/QUOTE]

People have been mentioning network issues in general post-3.72 and wireless issues in specific post-3.72. But grain of salt, anecdotal, and so forth.

If you use wireless then switch to wired if you can and always leave the media server stuff disabled in settings when you aren't actively using it.

Other than that there was the whole unscheduled maintenance bit which supposedly addressed something horrible which we mere customer plebes are too dumb to comprehend in a proper changelog.:booty:

[quote name='Narcisstalker']People have been mentioning network issues in general post-3.72 and wireless issues in specific post-3.72. But grain of salt, anecdotal, and so forth.

If you use wireless then switch to wired if you can and always leave the media server stuff disabled in settings when you aren't actively using it.

Other than that there was the whole unscheduled maintenance bit which supposedly addressed something horrible which we mere customer plebes are too dumb to comprehend in a proper changelog.:booty:[/QUOTE]

My issue is global to my whole network, from my research - when Netflix streaming dies, for example, EVERYTHING connected to the network at the same time dies as well. I converted my router from stock firmware to DD-WRT and the issue still persists.

It's either a router hardware issue, a connection issue (which was 'ruled out by my ISP'.. not that they haven't been wrong in the past), or a device on my network that's now sending packets in the wrong order that's breaking my network. The most recent device to get updated was my PS3, so naturally I'm suspicious since immediately after the firmware update, my network starts acting wonky.

I'll be ruling out my router this evening because I'm going to pick up a new router.. after that, I guess i'll take my PS3 out of the network entirely and see if the problem goes away.

It's an annoying problem.. since it's interrupting anything with a persistent connection - so i can't use steam, xbox360, chat clients, etc... reliably.

Yeah that sounds like either a saturation issue (hardware on your end) or a throttling because of saturation issue (ISP's end and they'll usually lie about it).

I'm sure that you've power-cycled the lot and so forth as you are already testing different hardware but don't rule-out the cables either as a bad cable in the right place can bring the whole thing to a crawl and/or cause sporadic instability.

[quote name='Narcisstalker']Yeah that sounds like either a saturation issue (hardware on your end) or a throttling because of saturation issue (ISP's end and they'll usually lie about it).

I'm sure that you've power-cycled the lot and so forth as you are already testing different hardware but don't rule-out the cables either as a bad cable in the right place can bring the whole thing to a crawl and/or cause sporadic instability.[/QUOTE]

I'm less apt to think it's the cables because they've been working fine for a very long time, but because of the way the network is behaving - global failures - it's either the cable from the modem to the router or it's a hardware issue on the router or modem.

I'll get it sussed out by the end of the weekend I'm sure.

[quote name='Jasonofindy']For once the new firmware actually seemed to do something to benefit me. My automatic download feature had been broken since the update that added trophy auto-sync. After this week's update, my system is now correctly autodownloading once again.

While I am happy, I doubt this was an actual "fix" in the firmware. It seems more likely that the previous firmware corrupted something on install, and it was overwritten with the correct code when I installed the new firmware.

Now if only they would add the ability to for both of my PS3s to auto-update/auto-cloud sync.[/QUOTE]
It worked in the last update, but the fix required syncing trophies on all accounts and resetting Auto Update to get it to work. This probably fixes that bug.

[quote name='guardian_owl']but one of the last few firmware updates broke that so that you had to plug in a flash drive with the current firmware in order to format a new hard drive.[/QUOTE]

That's the only way I do firmware updates, I wouldn't trust my internet connection (or anyone else's) to grab it, I'm surprised more people don't do it that way, its safer honestly. A bit more hassle, but if you're bothered by THAT much little extra effort, then God help you.

I think it downloads the entire update before installing, so if your connection dies during the download it won't brick your console or anything. You'd only have a problem if your power went out while it was applying the update.

Since the last update I've noticed, when streaming from my pc, that I'm getting a crapload of media server connection issues. The video just freezes after a few minutes of play, then the error comes up. And it did actually completely freeze up last night, and had to restart the system.

Before this update had zero issues. And no issues whatsoever streaming the same shows from the 360.

[quote name='Nogib']So what does 3.73 do?[/QUOTE]

It delays the GT5 DLC but it makes PAYDAY finally come out ;)

Security and stability like always. :roll:

I did find this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31917575&postcount=929
Just quickly after updating to 3.73 I noticed that FF (Fast Forward) now works with all videos using DLNA. Before it used to lock up with some videos when trying FF or REW.

So either DLNA or the Gstreamer player or both have been upgraded.

Browser is still Netfront and I'll have to play with the PS3 to see if I can find any other differences. It seems the videos accessed with Netfront on-line play faster/start faster cleaner. Again I can be imagining that. To test the browser I've been going to Google.com, it will not display correctly with the Netfront browser.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how long before they force you to download this one cuz usually it seems like the optional updates end up becoming mandatory many times.

Either way, there better be something useful(to me) in the next mandatory update.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/11/29/ps3-system-software-update-v-4-00/
A new system software update (v4.00) will be released this week. In preparation for the launch of PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) in Japan, this update will prepare PlayStation 3 (PS3) to serve as a content management device. It will allow users to copy their digital content such as games, music, photos, and videos between PS Vita and PS3, back up PS Vita game games including save data to your PS3 hard drive, and update the system software for your PS Vita system using the network features of your PS3.

Other changes to take effect with this update include:

PlayStation Plus members can now choose to enable or disable each automatic update feature:
Game patches
System software
Recommended games and videos
Sync trophy information

New PlayStation Network settings for filtering friend requests and messages

You can find more details after the firmware goes live here. We look forward to your feedback.
Some nice additions, though I don't know why it deserves to be 4.0.

Hopefully this one is optional like 3.73 was(till I went to load in some recent game n it updated from the disc:roll:), since there's nothing in that update for me because I'll never buy into PS+ or a Vita.

^ not sure, just popped up for me. Signed me out. You may be S.O.L.

Also, had no clue we updated along side Japan, seems way early for a vita update

Then I'm glad I'm already on PSN for the night. It shouldn't pop up for me now unless I shut down and then restart the system.

Either way, there's still NOTHING for me in this stupid update. Yet I still have to download/install it for no good reason. I still stand by my original statement from way back. Thanks a lot(for wasting my gaming time downloading shitty fuckin' updates), Sony!

Not optional.

Bitter, party of 1 to Cheapest. Sorry, but you could go grab a Xbox....wait, they make you do the same thing don't they? Guess it's a Wii then......wait....wait for it...

[quote name='jmbreci']Not optional.

Bitter, party of 1 to Cheapest. Sorry, but you could go grab a Xbox....wait, they make you do the same thing don't they? Guess it's a Wii then......wait....wait for it...[/QUOTE]
It's called I value my gaming time and downloading updates that do shit for me personally cuts into that. How many times we gotta go on this not so merry go round? I guess I'm still not allowed to have a differing opinion on the PS3 board?

Now if they added something USEFUL(speeding up how quickly the XMB loads while in a game, etc), then I might not bitch about shitware updates so much.

You have no reason to bitch about this update. It took me literally 2 seconds to download, and under 2 minutes to install.

[quote name='Buuhan1']You have no reason to bitch about this update. It took me literally 2 seconds to download, and under 2 minutes to install.[/QUOTE]
Well there is the stupid health warning now EVERY time you turn on the PS3

[quote name='Buuhan1']You have no reason to bitch about this update. It took me literally 2 seconds to download, and under 2 minutes to install.[/QUOTE]
But it adds NOTHING(for me) on my system, so those 'two seconds'(more like 10-20 minutes on my connection) are time I want back.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But it adds NOTHING(for me) on my system, so those 'two seconds'(more like 10-20 minutes on my connection) are time I want back.;)[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know your life centered around gaming for your every waking moment, and thus you lost 10-20 minutes of your precious life.

Go outside and get some air.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know your life centered around gaming for your every waking moment, and thus you lost 10-20 minutes of your precious life.

Go outside and get some air.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I doubt he plays straight. Last night it was around 5 mins for me to download and install it which isn't bad. Sometimes its a little slower and sometimes its faster. I got it when it first went up. He complains for no reason. He just likes to hear himself complain.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know your life centered around gaming for your every waking moment, and thus you lost 10-20 minutes of your precious life.

Go outside and get some air.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Lost_In_Shadows']Seriously, I doubt he plays straight. Last night it was around 5 mins for me to download and install it which isn't bad. Sometimes its a little slower and sometimes its faster. I got it when it first went up. He complains for no reason. He just likes to hear himself complain.[/QUOTE]
I honestly would have NO problems with these updates if they let you choose JUST the system improvement portion of them and opt out of the rest of it if it had nothing of use to you.

I will say that they DID improve these updates in that they DO download quicker than before on my slower speed DSL connection and that they now give you a description of what is in the actual update before you install it.

But again, if they could just let you forgo portions for functions you'll never use then I would be eternally happy and stop bitching as much. But I still would miss out on the gaming time lost while waiting for that portion of the update and it would still annoy me.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I honestly would have NO problems with these updates if they let you choose JUST the system improvement portion of them and opt out of the rest of it if it had nothing of use to you.

I will say that they DID improve these updates in that they DO download quicker than before on my slower speed DSL connection and that they now give you a description of what is in the actual update before you install it.

But again, if they could just let you forgo portions for functions you'll never use then I would be eternally happy and stop bitching as much. But I still would miss out on the gaming time lost while waiting for that portion of the update and it would still annoy me.[/QUOTE]

That wouldn't save you time, it'd only make it a longer process. These updates aren't huge in filesize at all, any download time you'd save would be negated by the time it took to sort through and check which parts of the update you wanted. This also would allow people to basically have their own configuration of updates on their PS3, which would become a mess for future updates as they'd have to be made compatible with tons of different combination of updates.

Just download and install the update, go take a piss or make a sandwich if it is taking too long for your liking. If firmware updates piss you off this much I don't wanna imagine how game data installs would make you. Metal Gear Solid 4 would probably bring you to put a gun in your mouth.

Or maybe time isn't the factor at all, maybe you just don't like something, a game console no less, telling you what you can and cannot do at any given time.

Yikes! Here we go again! Every time there's a firmware update Cheapest complains about it, someone "pokes the bear" by telling him shut up and just deal with it, and this whole debate sparks up once again...

[quote name='Buuhan1']That wouldn't save you time, it'd only make it a longer process. These updates aren't huge in filesize at all, any download time you'd save would be negated by the time it took to sort through and check which parts of the update you wanted. This also would allow people to basically have their own configuration of updates on their PS3, which would become a mess for future updates as they'd have to be made compatible with tons of different combination of updates.

Just download and install the update, go take a piss or make a sandwich if it is taking too long for your liking. If firmware updates piss you off this much I don't wanna imagine how game data installs would make you. Metal Gear Solid 4 would probably bring you to put a gun in your mouth.

Or maybe time isn't the factor at all, maybe you just don't like something, a game console no less, telling you what you can and cannot do at any given time.[/QUOTE]
Considering I don't like the MGS series in the first place, I wouldn't spend the time to install the files even for a second.:razz: But as I said, I do like that they seem to have shrunk the size of the files so it doesn't take forever anymore to download them. I just wish they'd put something useful for those of us who only use their PS3 console for playing PS3 games for once.:cry:
[quote name='Chitown021']Yikes! Here we go again! Every time there's a firmware update Cheapest complains about it, someone "pokes the bear" by telling him shut up and just deal with it, and this whole debate sparks up once again...[/QUOTE]
:D;)I've told the folks who 'poke the bear' to hit the ignore button numerous times to no avail, but people always gotta point out how it's a 'minor inconvenience'(still an inconvenience) and say how I must 'hate' the PS3 because I complain about it so much.

bread's done
Back