The New, But Not Improved Firmware Thread: 4.00 Currently Available

[quote name='blitz6speed']Like anyone here believes you'd spend money on a flight. You'd probably put yourself in a box with some crackers and tap water and ship yourself to japan instead.[/QUOTE]
Is that not the cheapass way to do things though?:D:booty:

Future cloud save feature sounds like Sony taking away a feature from non-Plus members to me. Just watch Sony force game developers to copy protect every game save so that only way for gamers to backup saves are to become Plus members.

[quote name='laaj']Future cloud save feature sounds like Sony taking away a feature from non-Plus members to me. Just watch Sony force game developers to copy protect every game save so that only way for gamers to backup saves are to become Plus members.[/QUOTE]

This is there intention.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Like anyone here believes you'd spend money on a flight. You'd probably put yourself in a box with some crackers and tap water and ship yourself to japan instead.[/QUOTE]

Crackers are kinda ritzy don't you think? Wouldn't he just take some complimentary meat samples at a grocery store, take some free peanuts then go in the box?

Or he might even just go snail mail by boat because he won't even pay the gas to go to the airport.

[quote name='laaj']Future cloud save feature sounds like Sony taking away a feature from non-Plus members to me. Just watch Sony force game developers to copy protect every game save so that only way for gamers to backup saves are to become Plus members.[/QUOTE]
EA already copy protects some game saves, like Mercenaries 2 which I had just completed the one really hard mission on and went to copy my save off my HDD, only to find out it was copy protected.

But apparently Sony likes shooting themselves in the foot this gen. Hopefully if they keep on their present course they will join Sega, as I'd rather play their games on a console I won't have to mortgage my soul to buy next gen.

Awesome, Bluray drive died on me conveniently the day after the update. Since I have absolutely no clue how to replace it or know anyone who does, looks like I'm getting a new console.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Awesome, Bluray drive died on me conveniently the day after the update. Since I have absolutely no clue how to replace it or know anyone who does, looks like I'm getting a new console.[/QUOTE]

theyre not hard to replace at all you just need to find a replacement.

[quote name='Wolfkin']they probably have youtube videos on how to do it. watch those and see if that's in your range of electrical expertise[/QUOTE]

I looked at a few Youtube videos and thats pretty far out of my range. Knowing me I'll probably snap something trying to do it.

Don't remember where, but I think I read that the newer models (160GB) come with a better Bluray drive, so hopefully a new one should last me more.

fair enough but i hate to see you waste money if it's fixable. consider looking on craigslist for someone to fix it.. if they can try for cheap money it might be worth the risk.

If the PS3's are anything like the PS2's from last gen, it should be fairly simple to do if you take your time and mark down where each screw/part goes that you're not sure you can remember the location of.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually if I were to 'omg be a hacker on my PS3' I would only be doing so to load my games off of a HDD rather than using the Blu-Ray drive and risking that dying on me. It'd be cheaper to replace an external HDD than to replace the BR drive, unless the price to buy a replacement lens has dropped significantly since I first looked into it for the fat model systems.[/QUOTE]

I used to think that this was a complete bullshit excuse to pirate games, but given the rate at which I've been replacing PS3 lasers lately, maybe it's not such a bad idea.

Having a hard time getting on the Playstation Store today. It takes forever to load, and it won't let me download anything.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/03/09/online-storage-for-game-saves-coming-to-playstation-plus/

New update (3.60) coming tomorrow with cloud saves for PS+:

Included in the system software update (v3.60) coming tomorrow to PS3, PlayStation Network’s new online storage for game saves feature gives PlayStation Plus subscribers the capability to back up game save data to the cloud. Online storage for game saves is a great way for PlayStation Plus subscribers to ensure that their data files are secure and also for users who wish to access their files from other PS3 systems.

The new online storage feature allows gamers to store up to 150MB of game save data and a maximum of 1000 data files per PSN account. Users also have the ability to back-up “copy-prohibited save data,” and all previously saved data may be restored once per 24 hour period. When the new feature launches, most PS3 titles will be compatible with online storage for game saves, and moving forward, all new titles will have the capability to offer the storage option.

As I mentioned before, online storage for game saves functionality is included automatically for PlayStation Plus subscribers with system software update (v3.60), which will be available on March 10, 2011, and users can access their stored data on the XMB at any time. Additionally, users who save their files to the cloud can access their data on any PS3, using their PSN sign-in ID.

PlayStation Plus subscribers should turn on the auto-download feature to ensure that the update will begin downloading as soon as it’s available, so you can start backing up your game saves right away. If you aren’t already a PlayStation Plus subscriber, be sure to check out our bi-weekly post highlighting the free games, discounts and exciting exclusives we offer, in addition to the upcoming online storage for game saves feature.

Other minor features will also be added via system software update (v3.60). For more information please visit http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/ once the update is live.

I hope cloud storage for + members isn't the only thing here (besides futile anti-piracy measures). Still on 3.55, no reason for 3.56 and currently no reason for 3.60...:roll:

The cloud system actually sounds pretty cool. Being able to access save data from any PS3 via log-in is definitely awesome, especially if your system crashes. Games can be re-downloaded but losing all your saves is a miserable thing.

So PSN is down until the update likely goes live, huh? Good going, Sony. I guess they figure no one would want to play a game online until they get this great update of theirs.:roll:

As for the 'cloud' thing in the update, it better not lock ALL of my game saves to my PS3's HDD and make them unable to be moved via USB flash drive unless I subscribe to the highway robbery of PS+ for $50 a year.:bomb:

Why would they do that? You'll have all the same options of backing up and moving saves around as you had before. This is just another option for those that want it.

[quote name='johnnypark']The cloud system actually sounds pretty cool. Being able to access save data from any PS3 via log-in is definitely awesome, especially if your system crashes. Games can be re-downloaded but losing all your saves is a miserable thing.[/QUOTE]

could have used that before my 80gb died that way i wouldnt have lost my ac2 save file. i got my plat for it thankfully but i was thinking about getting the dlc.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Why would they do that? You'll have all the same options of backing up and moving saves around as you had before. This is just another option for those that want it.[/QUOTE]
This is Sony we're talking about, remember? The same company that jacked their console prices up $200-300 from one gen to the next. I just wish there was a way to know in advance which games would have locked/copy protected saves and which would not, since there were a few I lost because I couldn't copy everything on my HDD when I went from my 40gb PS3 to my 120 gb slim.:bomb:

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You could've just looked at the saves themselves. They mention whether they're locked or not in the details.[/QUOTE]
I did, which is when I found out that some saves were LOCKED.:bomb: I can understand why they do it(to prevent trophy whores from copying someone else's save file to their system and getting trophies they don't deserve to), but for those of us who don't give two shits about them they should provide a way to unlock those saves.

It's annoying when it's a choice between copying a handful of saves that're mere kilobytes each versus copying 10gb of shit because some fuckwad at a developer decided to lock the saves.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So PSN is down until the update likely goes live, huh? Good going, Sony. I guess they figure no one would want to play a game online until they get this great update of theirs.:roll:

As for the 'cloud' thing in the update, it better not lock ALL of my game saves to my PS3's HDD and make them unable to be moved via USB flash drive unless I subscribe to the highway robbery of PS+ for $50 a year.:bomb:[/QUOTE]

With all the free stuff they give you, you call it highway robbery?

Let me guess, you think the 45 a year for live with nothing free is worth it right?

[quote name='dmdragon']With all the free stuff they give you, you call it highway robbery?

Let me guess, you think the 45 a year for live with nothing free is worth it right?[/QUOTE]
You forgot the 'if you keep your PS+ subscription active you can keep all this "free" stuff' part of your sentence there.;)

As for XBL, I don't have any intention of paying for it as I only want to play the Xbox exclusives snd not online.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You forgot the 'if you keep your PS+ subscription active you can keep all this "free" stuff' part of your sentence there.;)

As for XBL, I don't have any intention of paying for it as I only want to play the Xbox exclusives snd not online.[/QUOTE]

Still a hell of a lot better than live if even for the discounts. I saved an extra 6 bucks today on castle crashers and dead nation

If I've bought $30 worth of shit from the PSN store since getting a PS3 3 years ago it's a miracle. Even then I only buy stuff when I have discounted PSN cards(from $10 off coupons from Kmart, Best Buy Reward Zone certificates, etc).

But for some I can see the service being well worth it since they buy tons of stuff.

The main change it offers besides the cloud save storage is pushing the power save settings (auto-off for the system and controllers) into its own category, though I can't remember if you had time options for either option (1, 2, 3, and 5 hours for the system and 10, 20, and 30 minutes for controllers).

My update took longer to install than download. And I don't have any sort of fast internet anyway.

This update sucks ass though. Now the friends list is sorted like this:

Friend1
Friend3
friend2
friend4

So all lower cases that are online are below all upper cases online. What a complete, stupid thing to change.

[quote name='Trace17']This update sucks ass though. Now the friends list is sorted like this:

Friend1
Friend3
friend2
friend4

So all lower cases that are online are below all upper cases online. What a complete, stupid thing to change.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's incredibly stupid. That's got to be an oversight.

Downloaded and installed all in about 5min. Download was the fastest part. Install was like a 3min creep :) That's a lot faster then normal.

Then again my ISP did bump my speed up to 20Mbps.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Trace17']My update took longer to install than download. And I don't have any sort of fast internet anyway.

This update sucks ass though. Now the friends list is sorted like this:

Friend1
Friend3
friend2
friend4

So all lower cases that are online are below all upper cases online. What a complete, stupid thing to change.[/QUOTE]

Why aren't you sorting your friends list by Status? Do you send a lot of messages, is that why you like it sorted by name?

[quote name='GTmaster39']Why aren't you sorting your friends list by Status? Do you send a lot of messages, is that why you like it sorted by name?[/QUOTE]

It is sorted by status. With the latest update, it takes everyone online and splits them into two categories - users with first letter upper case and user with first letter lower case. Then it alphabatizes those online users within those two groups.

So:

User123
Xx0retardednamewithxX
alphafail
user234
xXanotherretardednamewithXx

Why they did this is beyond me. At first I thought it was just me and a sorting error but I saw a few other people mention it on various web sites so it can't be just me.

Great job effin up something that wasn't broken Sony :applause:

heh... And the cheaters are back online. v3.60 spoofer is out already. Hope it was good while it lasted, guys.

There are currently three ways to be on PSN still if you are on CFW, despite the 3.60 "security measures". Sony is fighting a losing battle. They should just embrace homebrew and the guys who actually know how to hack would (mostly) lay off. The pirates are generally just dummies who couldn't create a hack to save their life...

[quote name='MorPhiend']heh... And the cheaters are back online. v3.60 spoofer is out already. Hope it was good while it lasted, guys.

There are currently three ways to be on PSN still if you are on CFW, despite the 3.60 "security measures". Sony is fighting a losing battle. They should just embrace homebrew and the guys who actually know how to hack would (mostly) lay off. The pirates are generally just dummies who couldn't create a hack to save their life...[/QUOTE]

Um....who cares?

Who is bragging? Sony is wasting all this money developing "fixes" instead of better upgrades to the system and it's accomplishing nothing. SONY are the ones who bragged about the openness of their console, then took that away.

Honestly, I'm not on either side. I don't play games online and I hate cheaters. I'm just pointing out that the majority of folks who have the ability to actually hack aren't in it for pirating.

And as to who cares? Not me. I don't like online. But it seems that a hell of a lot of people on these forums are constantly bitching about cheaters. So I was just letting people know, you jerk.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Who is bragging? Sony is wasting all this money developing "fixes" instead of better upgrades to the system and it's accomplishing nothing. SONY are the ones who bragged about the openness of their console, then took that away.

Honestly, I'm not on either side. I don't play games online and I hate cheaters. I'm just pointing out that the majority of folks who have the ability to actually hack aren't in it for pirating.

And as to who cares? Not me. I don't like online. But it seems that a hell of a lot of people on these forums are constantly bitching about cheaters. So I was just letting people know, you jerk.[/QUOTE]

You're a pirate, if you didn't pirate you wouldn't be bringing up stupid shit like this. Moving forward.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Who is bragging? Sony is wasting all this money developing "fixes" instead of better upgrades to the system and it's accomplishing nothing. SONY are the ones who bragged about the openness of their console, then took that away.

And as to who cares? Not me. I don't like online. But it seems that a hell of a lot of people on these forums are constantly bitching about cheaters. So I was just letting people know, you jerk.[/QUOTE]
The person that was talking shit to a non-existent person in this thread, so you're just trolling for no reason. You seem to care a lot since you're talking a lot of shit right now.

@MorPhiend relax dude there are the stupid hackers and there are the stupid complainers Both have their differences but both are stupid like you dude. Enough of this nonsense about that shick lets enjoy the console we paid money for and do what we do game on!!!

bread's done
Back