The New, But Not Improved Firmware Thread: 4.00 Currently Available

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The main change it offers besides the cloud save storage is pushing the power save settings (auto-off for the system and controllers) into its own category, though I can't remember if you had time options for either option (1, 2, 3, and 5 hours for the system and 10, 20, and 30 minutes for controllers).[/QUOTE]I know they had time options for the system... almost certain they did for controllers but I wouldn't bet on it.

[quote name='Trace17']My update took longer to install than download. And I don't have any sort of fast internet anyway.

This update sucks ass though. Now the friends list is sorted like this:

Friend1
Friend3
friend2
friend4

So all lower cases that are online are below all upper cases online. What a complete, stupid thing to change.[/QUOTE]OHHHHH.. is THAT what happened to my friendslist. wow man thank you I thought something was wrong. This is a dumber move than when everything started sorting number at the bottom. (looking at you iTunes.) Cheapest.. we call upon you to rage against the machine.

[quote name='Wolfkin']I know they had time options for the system... almost certain they did for controllers but I wouldn't bet on it.

OHHHHH.. is THAT what happened to my friendslist. wow man thank you I thought something was wrong. This is a dumber move than when everything started sorting number at the bottom. (looking at you iTunes.) Cheapest.. we call upon you to rage against the machine.[/QUOTE]
I usually do at least once per FW update, but it never gets anything but the fanboys on the PS Blog saying the same as people on here(sell your system if you don't like the updates).

Of course, that's between 1000 posts saying 'OMG gimme cross game chat'.:whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I usually do at least once per FW update, but it never gets anything but the fanboys on the PS Blog saying the same as people on here(sell your system if you don't like the updates).

Of course, that's between 1000 posts saying 'OMG gimme cross game chat'.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

I never used cross game chat on 360 and don't need it on ps3,but that's just me. I play games it isn't time to chat. :lol:

[quote name='jman619']I never used cross game chat on 360 and don't need it on ps3,but that's just me. I play games it isn't time to chat. :lol:[/QUOTE]
I use it all the time on 360, it's mainly the reason I pay for LIVE.

I don't really mind not having it on PS3 though.

I don't talk to people unless they're in the same game I am. Anything else is a distraction or it's just pointless conversations about nothing.

This is how I imagine a typically cross game chat goes down.
WhatchaThinkinAbout-Nothin-JustBearStuffs.jpg

i really need to make some friends or something because I must see what XBL is like. While it would have been helpful to talk to MINXOTIC when I was trying to teach her Fat Princess (but we were on different teams) outside of a few rare scenarios like that I don't get why you wouldn't want to talk to the people you're currently playing with

[quote name='GTmaster39']I don't talk to people unless they're in the same game I am.[/QUOTE]I would be happy to at least have same game chat. The great thing about party chat on 360 was playing through New Vegas on release day with friends, and sharing our experiences as we went along.

[quote name='TimPV3']I would be happy to at least have same game chat. The great thing about party chat on 360 was playing through New Vegas on release day with friends, and sharing our experiences as we went along.[/QUOTE]
see that's what i'm talking about even if i were interested in that. that's a very rare situation. I don't buy ANY game on release day so if I'm playing the same game as anyone else we're most likely doing different things (me usually way behind).

Most of the time when I'm playing a game, I don't want to talk to anyone. Either because it's a game like say Uncharted and I'm trying to follow the story or it's a game like Fallout and I'm trying to concentrate on my activity. If i'm playing something like say Resistance or Red Faction I'm only interested in talking if I'm doing the MP. The only other examples already support MP co-op like maybe 50 Cent:BotS.

Maybe a game like Pac-Man might make more sense. The more appealing hypothetical someone once brought up was if I'm playing a game and I get invited to say a SingStar Battle or Resistance Party it would be nice to be able to talk to them and let them know I'm coming or not, or chat while I'm shutting down my current game and switching discs.

[quote name='Wolfkin']see that's what i'm talking about even if i were interested in that. that's a very rare situation. I don't buy ANY game on release day so if I'm playing the same game as anyone else we're most likely doing different things (me usually way behind).

Most of the time when I'm playing a game, I don't want to talk to anyone. Either because it's a game like say Uncharted and I'm trying to follow the story or it's a game like Fallout and I'm trying to concentrate on my activity. If i'm playing something like say Resistance or Red Faction I'm only interested in talking if I'm doing the MP. The only other examples already support MP co-op like maybe 50 Cent:BotS.

Maybe a game like Pac-Man might make more sense. The more appealing hypothetical someone once brought up was if I'm playing a game and I get invited to say a SingStar Battle or Resistance Party it would be nice to be able to talk to them and let them know I'm coming or not, or chat while I'm shutting down my current game and switching discs.[/QUOTE]

It really depends on the age group. The younger Facebook crowd need constant attention, so chatting while playing video games online makes a lot of sense to them since they have ADD or something similar. Older players actually play the games to enjoy them, not to use them as an excuse to conversate with people online. When i go online to play, its to play the game in the disc drive, not find out if so and so did this or that today while just grinding away at achievements.

Its a generational gap thing imo.

[quote name='blitz6speed']It really depends on the age group. The younger Facebook crowd need constant attention, so chatting while playing video games online makes a lot of sense to them since they have ADD or something similar. Older players actually play the games to enjoy them, not to use them as an excuse to conversate with people online. When i go online to play, its to play the game in the disc drive, not find out if so and so did this or that today while just grinding away at achievements.

Its a generational gap thing imo.[/QUOTE]
Holy crap. I agree with you for once. Is it 2012 already?:lol:;)

[quote name='rcballer2123']Has anyone tried out the facebook features? Worth it?[/QUOTE]

I have. It's OK, nothing to get too excited about. It posts something to my account every time I earn a trophy or purchase a game from PSN.

Or at least it does so eventually. Sometimes the posts don't show up until several days later. I guess whenever PSN syncs and officially "registers" my new trophies.

Finally, that damn frisky gave me shit a couple weeks ago about firmware updating and asking to prove that they were going to release a firmware update. Now it is asking for an update. Probably security updates given the hacking that has been going on as of late.
Hmmm... need any more proof. Told ya!

[quote name='TheRock88']Got prompted for another update. No idea what it does.[/QUOTE]
Probably strips out ANOTHER feature, knowing Sony as of late.:roll::booty:

But at least it's not taking all fuckin' night to download for once, so it must be a small update.

Wikipedia says its suppose to improve system stability for some PS3 software and changes minis in the xmb to minis/psp

[quote name='xmbri']Finally, that damn frisky gave me shit a couple weeks ago about firmware updating and asking to prove that they were going to release a firmware update. Now it is asking for an update. Probably security updates given the hacking that has been going on as of late.
Hmmm... need any more proof. Told ya![/QUOTE]
You didn't predict that there would be a firmware update in the future. You specifically said the next update would be 6.38 or 6.39 and that developers were submitting games for that update because that's what the May 24 memo specifically said, which you had zero proof to back that up.
[quote name='xmbri']That was the date for the developers to have items ready for the new firmware 3.68 or 9 that is due to come up. That is what happens when these blog sites get a memo and run with it, like the media doesn't do that all the time:roll:[/QUOTE]
I don't know why you sent me a PM to brag about a PS3 firmware update being released either.

[quote name='200STM']Wikipedia says its suppose to improve system stability for some PS3 software and changes minis in the xmb to minis/psp[/QUOTE]
I'd be happier if it improved the speed at which the XMB loads in while in a game. That shit takes forfuckinever at times.

[quote name='smiggity']Id be happier if you sold your PS3 and left these forums[/QUOTE]
Did you see my new sig lately? I'd suggest you use it and ignore me, since it's apparent you don't like seeing what I have to say. It's called a differing opinion and last time I checked this wasn't a Communist nation, so I'm still entitled to it, comrade.:booty:;)

I see you still have never contributed to any sort of intelligent discussion on these forums, mainly just mindless rants and complaining like a ten year old.

[quote name='smiggity']I see you still have never contributed to any sort of intelligent discussion on these forums, mainly just mindless rants and complaining like a ten year old.[/QUOTE]
When was the last time you posted a deal thread to try and help get other CAG's a deal on a game? I post them all the time, albeit the usual snarky/sarcastic people come in to whine about shipping killing any deal or whatever.

It happens and it's annoying, but you MOVE ON. People have differing opinions. It's called free will.

So as I said, put me on ignore and don't click the lil link that says 'see post' and I'll do the same to you, since it's obvious we're never going to agree on this topic.

So good day...

oh... This might actually be the right thread to ask this: Is there an official word on what system version the Blops bundle ships with? If not, is there some way to tell without opening it?

Any idea what this firmware update does? I'm getting sick and tired of Sony pretty much forbidding you to get on PSN until you install something that they don't even tell you what the fuck it does BEFORE you install it.:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Any idea what this firmware update does? I'm getting sick and tired of Sony pretty much forbidding you to get on PSN until you install something that they don't even tell you what the fuck it does BEFORE you install it.:roll:[/QUOTE]

from what i googled its supposed to improve system stability during the use of ps3 format software and network services.

[quote name='lokizz']from what i googled its supposed to improve system stability during the use of ps3 format software and network services.[/QUOTE]

The last thing IATCC needs is stability.

[quote name='lokizz']from what i googled its supposed to improve system stability during the use of ps3 format software and network services.[/QUOTE]
That's good then. Although the only games that freeze my PS3 are the Rockstar titles, like GTA IV/Episodes.

I play those A LOT and I've had the system freeze on Episodes at least once a night the last couple of nights. I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling the game data, since I read that that may alleviate the issues.

I'm gonna have to jump on the Cheapest bandwagon for a minute here and complain about the FW updates for a minute. 3.65 was optional until sometime this week, so I grabbed it when I got home from work yesterday, went to sleep intending to put it on the system when I got back up, updated and wanted to see what was on the PSN store then I read....

A New System Update is Available I was like fuck ME!!! I just D/L'ed one earlier. Another 90 minutes pissed away for 3.66 and finally on the PSN to find a Sonic Generations Demo and the Ape Escape Demo on the UK store....:drool:

Makes me wish I wouldn't have bothered. But if they are going to do optional FW installs, then don't make them mandatory and then sling a newer one a few days later and have that be mandatory too. :bomb:

[quote name='uncle5555']I'm gonna have to jump on the Cheapest bandwagon for a minute here and complain about the FW updates for a minute. 3.65 was optional until sometime this week, so I grabbed it when I got home from work yesterday, went to sleep intending to put it on the system when I got back up, updated and wanted to see what was on the PSN store then I read....

A New System Update is Available I was like fuck ME!!! I just D/L'ed one earlier. Another 90 minutes pissed away for 3.66 and finally on the PSN to find a Sonic Generations Demo and the Ape Escape Demo on the UK store....:drool:

Makes me wish I wouldn't have bothered. But if they are going to do optional FW installs, then don't make them mandatory and then sling a newer one a few days later and have that be mandatory too. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

90 Minutes? What are you using, a 14.4K modem? It took me exactly 4 minutes over WiFi to download and install 3.66

[quote name='uncle5555']I'm gonna have to jump on the Cheapest bandwagon for a minute here and complain about the FW updates for a minute. 3.65 was optional until sometime this week, so I grabbed it when I got home from work yesterday, went to sleep intending to put it on the system when I got back up, updated and wanted to see what was on the PSN store then I read....

Makes me wish I wouldn't have bothered. But if they are going to do optional FW installs, then don't make them mandatory and then sling a newer one a few days later and have that be mandatory too. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't everyone have PS+ right now? My update downloaded overnight as I turned on background downloads.

[quote name='doubledown']Shouldn't everyone have PS+ right now? My update downloaded overnight as I turned on background downloads.[/QUOTE]
I don't like leaving my PS3 on unless I plan on playing something on it. So I can see why folks wouldn't want to do the same either.

The first time I did that recently I didn't realize the auto shutoff was still on and I came back to find my PS3 had shut down on it's own. I immediately though 'oh crap my PS3 is dead'. So yeah, unless I'm there to make sure shit downloads/installs right I don't like leaving my system on.

Automatic Download lets your PS3 turn on when you're not using it to download firmware and game updates for you so you're not dealing with them in person as much as before.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Automatic Download lets your PS3 turn on when you're not using it to download firmware and game updates for you so you're not dealing with them in person as much as before.[/QUOTE]
But that's only with PSN+, right?

[quote name='ssjmichael']90 Minutes? What are you using, a 14.4K modem? It took me exactly 4 minutes over WiFi to download and install 3.66[/QUOTE]

Only have DSL where I live....so can't do better than that. Sucks, but I use what I have and don't complain about the speed, I just don't like wasting time D/L'ing reiterative FW updates that they honestly could have skipped on until the new one was released and made mandatory.

[quote name='doubledown']Shouldn't everyone have PS+ right now? My update downloaded overnight as I turned on background downloads.[/QUOTE]

I don't trust my connection enough to do it overnight, since sometimes it likes to die on me for no good reason, and I don't want a corrupted FW because the update failed.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I don't like leaving my PS3 on unless I plan on playing something on it. So I can see why folks wouldn't want to do the same either.

The first time I did that recently I didn't realize the auto shutoff was still on and I came back to find my PS3 had shut down on it's own. I immediately though 'oh crap my PS3 is dead'. So yeah, unless I'm there to make sure shit downloads/installs right I don't like leaving my system on.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. ;)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/08/09/ps3-system-software-update-v3-70/

6027024489_5dc76cc708_z.jpg

PlayStation Plus Auto Update

Hi everyone! As we are continuously working toward providing the best gaming and entertainment experience on PlayStation 3, I wanted to give you all a heads up on the following new features and changes coming with the next system software update (v.3.70).

To make things easier for PlayStation Plus subscribers, we’ve added the option to automate two existing features. The [Automatic Download] feature will now be called [Automatic Update] as a result of these new options.

A new auto upload function for online save data back-up will be added to make it easier to back-up your game save data. Under (Game), select the game for which you want to automatically upload saved data, and then press the Triangle button.

Also, Trophies will now sync automatically at the timing of Auto Download.

6026072785_b1e80be54f_z.jpg

A new recommendation function will be added that enables you to share your recommendations for PlayStation Store items, such as games and videos, with PlayStation Network friends. You will be able to send messages with a store link from the product pages within the PlayStation Store.

Due to the increase in video applications being offered on PS3, we are adding a new category on the XMB called TV/Video Services. This category will include video applications such as Netflix, Hulu PLUS, and VUDU.

You’ll be able to find and download all of the video applications available on PS3 directly from this new XMB category.

A folder labeled “My Channels” within this category will allow you to easily access your downloaded applications.

Any videos downloaded from the PlayStation store will continue to be placed in the existing Video category on the XMB

Two updates for all of you enjoying Blu-ray 3D movies on PS3:

3D support will now be available when accessing Java-based special features on Blu-Ray DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR decoding/bit stream output (or lossless audio) will be supported while playing Blu-ray 3D movies.
3D digital photos in MPO format can now be viewed in 3D on the XMB and in the Photo Gallery app.

The 3.70 update will be available soon; additional details will be available after the firmware goes live here. Separately, there will also be a minor PSP system software update (v. 6.60) launching soon.

As always, let us know of any feedback in the comments below.
I like the ability to finally automatically upload trophies to the server and having the ability to automatically upload saves to the cloud will be nice since I haven't kept up as much as I should, though I'd have preferred at least the trophies be for everybody.

The addition of the TV category on the XMB seems to be copying what's already been available on the XMB for foreign PSN accounts. I'd prefer the recommendation feature to be more like Steam's set-up than XBL, as it would probably be more encouraging to see a list of friends recommending a certain game or at the very least a list of ratings from friends on a game's page.

I was excited for a second there when I saw that the update was a 'PS+ Exclusive', kinda hoping that we normal non paying PSN members wouldn't have to download another fuckin' fluff update.
But that most likely won't be the case AS USUAL.
Yay for a function ONLY for those who wanna pay for PSN access having to be downloaded by EVERYONE and for auto trophy syncing, cuz ya know I loves me some trophies.....NOT. So I wonder how much slower these two additions will make the XMB in addition to how snail slow it is to load when in a game now.

Considering that it's usually an update with no real visible improvements or functionality/benefit for the end user, I think the updates for this one are pretty cool, although I'm not a PS+ subscriber and won't really benefit.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I was excited for a second there when I saw that the update was a 'PS+ Exclusive', kinda hoping that we normal non paying PSN members wouldn't have to download another fuckin' fluff update.
But that most likely won't be the case AS USUAL.
Yay for a function ONLY for those who wanna pay for PSN access having to be downloaded by EVERYONE and for auto trophy syncing, cuz ya know I loves me some trophies.....NOT. So I wonder how much slower these two additions will make the XMB in addition to how snail slow it is to load when in a game now.[/QUOTE]

You gotta be a troll, this post is too foolish to be sincere.

[quote name='johnnypark']Considering that it's usually an update with no real visible improvements or functionality/benefit for the end user, I think the updates for this one are pretty cool, although I'm not a PS+ subscriber and won't really benefit.[/QUOTE]

Eh. I'd be happier if they finally figured out a way to make it so the XMB doesn't take forfuckinever to load in when you're in a game and wanna check a message or something.[quote name='Buuhan1']You gotta be a troll, this post is too foolish to be sincere.[/QUOTE]

So yet again I'm being called a troll because I have a difference of opinion and didn't wanna waste 30 minutes of my life staring at the screen waiting for the progress bar to go up on an update that doesn't benefit me at all and never will? I'll never pay for PSN and I'll never give a shit about trophies, so both portions of this update were a huge waste of time for me.

Needing PSN+ for auto update is retarded, and now auto sync. It takes Sony programmers 3 years to figure out how get auto sync for trophies. Paying for a feature that is 3 years late what the fuck Sony.

I do not play online, so I am not sure if this is possible:

Can you guys just turn on your console when you get up and check for updates? I know there is a menu choice for it.

Then it can just download while you are eating, showering, etc.

Yeah, if you have it set to connect to PSN when you turn it on, it'll prompt you automatically. If not, there's a System Update option at the top of the Settings tab to start it up manually.

I like the way they handle auto-uploading of saves, as you can just press triangle on a specific game and turn it on from the menu. This makes it a lot easier for me since I pretty much only upload saves for PSN games since they're usually small enough to fit in the 150 MB cap. You can even set demos for auto-upload, which is only useful if the demo lets you export the save for the full game and even then, you'd only need it once at best.

It seems 3.70 was automatically downloaded while I was at work ( at least that's what it said when I booted it up). Then I couldn't get online with psn. So I restarted the system and now is prompting me to download 3.70 ?!?!?

Ok, so psn+ did download the update for me. It just didn't install it. Weird?

bread's done
Back