The New, But Not Improved Firmware Thread: 4.00 Currently Available

I'm glad I resisted the temptation to replace my 52XBR4 with something bigger. I'm getting the 60LX900 the day it drops.

I bet there's a lot of fanfare for the firmware upgrade, and then we don't see any practical uses of it for at least another 6 months to a year. And even then, no one will have those expensive-ass TVs. I know I sure as hell won't.

[quote name='jh6269']
I think you'll have to pry his SDTV from his cold, dead hands.

Looks like he got HD, so maybe it will only be 10 years before he goes to 3D.[/QUOTE]

DD is right though. He will still complain about the firmware update!

What is the point of this thread? We've known about the update since CES over a month ago and there's nothing added in the article, so I'm guessing the OP works for that site.

Oh god I hope not, how useless with that update be? First off I just want to play the games without updating with this nonsense. Second if HD isn't good enough for the price I don't hold much hope 3D will be better. Because not only will the TV's be thousands you need special equipment and glasses to use it. No thanks.

I'm just hoping my trick will still let me play online at that time or this update becomes optional. Right now I'm on 3.01 because GH5 made me.

[quote name='DPsx7']Oh god I hope not, how useless with that update be? First off I just want to play the games without updating with this nonsense. Second if HD isn't good enough for the price I don't hold much hope 3D will be better. Because not only will the TV's be thousands you need special equipment and glasses to use it. No thanks.

I'm just hoping my trick will still let me play online at that time or this update becomes optional. Right now I'm on 3.01 because GH5 made me.[/QUOTE]

Thankfully companies are working on glassesless 3D TV! I believe Samsung had a working prototype at CES. Although that could be in my head!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What is the point of this thread? We've known about the update since CES over a month ago and there's nothing added in the article, so I'm guessing the OP works for that site.[/QUOTE]

You would guess wrong.

[quote name='Koggit']why is a new TV necessary? if it's glasses-based 3D then why cant we have it on current sets?[/QUOTE]

You will need more than glasses for the sony and samsung tv's coming out soon.

Samsung
SAMSUNG
main

what is 3d?

samsung 3-d ready dlps

support

accessories
Introduction

The DDD 3-D DLP Starter Pack

The 3-D DLP Starter Pack is now available for purchase at www.ddd.com. This pack includes the TriDef 3-D Experience software, which is the latest consumer 3-D content solution from DDD that enables a full range of popular 3-D entertainment from PC games to the latest high definition 3-D movies to be enjoyed on the new 3-D enabled DLP HDTVs. Features include:

* Playing the latest PC games in 3-D
* Watching the latest 3-D Hollywood movies that are available in 3-D
* Converting your favorite 2-D DVDs into 3-D automatically
* Enjoying family photographs in 3-D
* Exploring Google Earth in 3-D

To enjoy this awesome 3-D content on their new Samsung 3-D ready DLP® HDTV, consumers can purchase the DDD accessory pack for $199.99 that includes two pairs of active 3-D glasses, 1 3-D IR Emitter and the TriDef 3-D Experience software. The TriDef 3-D Experience software is compatible with Windows XP and Vista PCs and the latest graphics cards from nVIDIA and ATI capable of delivering the high-resolution HDTV images to the 3-D enabled DLP.

The 3-D DLP Starter Packs are currently available through the online stores of DDD, i-O Displays and their resellers and will shortly be available from major US retailers. The Samsung 3-D ready DLP HDTVs can be experienced at the Samsung Experience Center in New York City and in the Circuit City World Cyber Games Mobile Tour, currently touring major cities around the United States.

How does it work?

Unlock the 3-D capability of the latest Samsung DLP® HDTVs by purchasing the 3-D DLP Starter Pack!

After connecting a suitable PC or home media center to a Samsung 3-D DLP HDTV and plugging the transmitter into the HDTV, install DDD's software, the TriDef® 3-D Experience, put on the lightweight wireless 3-D glasses, and you're ready to enjoy a wide range of 3-D content.

The 3-D DLP Starter pack includes software that enables any 2-D DVD to be viewed in 3-D in real-time, with controls that allow the amount of 3-D to be adjusted.

What's included?

The 3-D DLP® Starter Pack includes:

* 2 pairs of wireless 3-D glasses
* 1 wireless 3-D transmitter
* TriDef 3-D Experience software:
o Watch any 2-D DVD in 3-D
o View 2-D media files in 3-D
o Enjoy 3-D photo & video content
o See Google Earth in 3-D
o Play a PC game in 3-D
* Links to purchase the latest 3-D content

Price: $199.99

Options:

* Additional 3-D game drivers for the Top 10 PC games
* 3D game drivers are available at http://www.ddd.com/store/3dgames.html

Price: $4.99 ea.

* Extra pair of 3-D Glasses

Price: $59.00

For best results:

The 3-D DLP® Starter Pack is now available online at www.DDD.com and will be available at major retailers soon.

Recommended System Requirements:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo or Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core CPU or higher
Memory: 1GB of RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce 6600 or ATI Radeon™ X800
Hard Drive: 100MB Free disk space
Other: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card, DVD-ROM drive, InterVideo, WinDVD or XPack, Google Earth, Internet connection.

those are the ugliest fucking glasses i've ever seen... unfortunately, they are also the only ones that you can really find anywhere.

Samsung has a set on their site that looked pretty nice (which i think are back up there now), but they are expensive. you get 1 pair of glasses and a sensor for 130 (no indication of the option to buy individual glasses). I figure by the time some of these big movies get set to release on Blu we will see some pretty, cheaper glasses.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...etype=acc_detail&subsubtype=3d-kit&returnurl=

They will also soon maybe this year offer ps2 emulation/backwards compatiablility they just want to sell those ps2s in the store.

mwynn, no offense man i appreciate the info, but that doesnt address my question...

my reasoning is, if we can already separate the two perspectives (left eye / right eye) and release bluray / DVD, even VHS, with the 3D transfer of the film(s), then why can't developers make their games output similar video, with the same 3D tech we've been using for decades? why do we need new TVs for this? i can buy Coraline on bluray in 3D and watch it on my TV right now... why can't video game developers just output video that works with existing 3D glasses (or, theoretically, even have the PS3 do post-processing to accomplish the same effect on all games -- though I understand realistically this isn't possible because most games are already utilizing a large portion of the PS3's resources)...

it all seems like a con. a big con. it seems like we should be able to get 3D on our existing sets.

[quote name='Koggit']mwynn, no offense man i appreciate the info, but that doesnt address my question...

my reasoning is, if we can already separate the two perspectives (left eye / right eye) and release bluray / DVD, even VHS, with the 3D transfer of the film(s), then why can't developers make their games output similar video, with the same 3D tech we've been using for decades? why do we need new TVs for this? i can buy Coraline on bluray in 3D and watch it on my TV right now... why can't video game developers just output video that works with existing 3D glasses (or, theoretically, even have the PS3 do post-processing to accomplish the same effect on all games -- though I understand realistically this isn't possible because most games are already utilizing a large portion of the PS3's resources)...

it all seems like a con. a big con. it seems like we should be able to get 3D on our existing sets.[/QUOTE]

You are asking the wrong person. All I can do is provide the info that is available.

[quote name='Koggit']why is a new TV necessary? if it's glasses-based 3D then why cant we have it on current sets?[/QUOTE]

Coraline on Blu-Ray uses the standard paper 3D glasses that everyone has had for years. The glasses distort the color of the image on the screen. These are different than the ones used in theaters which work because the projection system is beaming 2 distinct feeds of what is essentially an encoded light that gets reinterpreted by your glasses.

The new glasses that they are being sold for Home Theater set-ups use a "shutter lens" system that actually obscures the image that 1 eye sees for every other frame. The shuttering happens so fast that your eye can't see it happening, and the brain composites the left and right images together causing the 3D effect.

Because this needs to happen faster than the human I can detect (or the illusion is destroyed), the system needs to be able to deliver more frames a second to the eye than it can comprehend- which is somewhere around 60-100. Because of this, the TV offering the 3D features needs to have 120Hz to 240Hz refresh rate.

The standard tube television does not offer a refresh rate nearly that high (nor do early Plasma, or LCD models).

Additionally-- my understanding is that Sony can't patch in universal 3D because the 3D technique involves the use of 2 cameras set at slightly different angles to capture the 3D effect. Essentially this means that everything would need to be rendered out 2 times in order for this to function. While some games could probably handle that amount of stress, I bet a lot couldn't and would start to run slower.

I saw a 3D TV in action over at my local Sony store and it was just amazing. They had clips of PS3 games, some soccor game and random shots. But it was truly amazing. I know I can not afford it now... so I hope the price drops fast lol.

my next projector will probably be 3d. the tech is too young. in a few years we'll have a better understanding of where this is at.
at this point I think its foolish to invest. it is tempting after seeing demos.

[quote name='paz9x']my next projector will probably be 3d. the tech is too young. in a few years we'll have a better understanding of where this is at.
at this point I think its foolish to invest. it is tempting after seeing demos.[/QUOTE]

I bought a big Samsung DLP over a year ago. I wanted an HDTV, but the deciding factor in getting that one was to a large degree the 3D mode. Now there are TVs running 240Hz, and they are still using the same technology that mine uses (the glasses / sensor combo), but i know now that I adapted too early.

I'm not mad about it though. Even if I never use the TV for 3D stuff, it was still a great set at a great price. DLPs are a great deal once you get past a certain screen size.

[quote name='nbballard']Coraline on Blu-Ray uses the standard paper 3D glasses that everyone has had for years. The glasses distort the color of the image on the screen. These are different than the ones used in theaters which work because the projection system is beaming 2 distinct feeds of what is essentially an encoded light that gets reinterpreted by your glasses.

The new glasses that they are being sold for Home Theater set-ups use a "shutter lens" system that actually obscures the image that 1 eye sees for every other frame. The shuttering happens so fast that your eye can't see it happening, and the brain composites the left and right images together causing the 3D effect.

Because this needs to happen faster than the human I can detect (or the illusion is destroyed), the system needs to be able to deliver more frames a second to the eye than it can comprehend- which is somewhere around 60-100. Because of this, the TV offering the 3D features needs to have 120Hz to 240Hz refresh rate.

The standard tube television does not offer a refresh rate nearly that high (nor do early Plasma, or LCD models).

Additionally-- my understanding is that Sony can't patch in universal 3D because the 3D technique involves the use of 2 cameras set at slightly different angles to capture the 3D effect. Essentially this means that everything would need to be rendered out 2 times in order for this to function. While some games could probably handle that amount of stress, I bet a lot couldn't and would start to run slower.[/QUOTE]

You seem better informed than most, so I have another 3D question for you.

A few weeks ago, I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D at an AMC theater. The provided glasses had lenses that were tinted two different colors (red & yellow, I believe). The color of the video, viewed through the glasses, was really great -- it looked just as if I weren't wearing the glasses, the colors were spot on.

Yesterday, I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D at a Regal theater. The provided glasses had lenses that were both tinted gray. The color of the movie was terrible. It was like watching the movie through lightly-tinted sunglasses (whites were gray, the night scene near the beginning had very little detail, etc). I'd have rathered watch it in 2D than deal with the terrible color.

Do you know anything about these differences? Did the Regal theater give me the wrong (non-IMAX) glasses? Or is it just a crap-shoot, and there's no way to know if the glasses will suck until buying the ticket? It was very disappointing and I'd like to avoid the gray-tinted glasses in the future, but since they were both just billed as "IMAX 3D" I'm not sure what I should be avoiding.

[quote name='Serpentor']So, err, correct me if i'm wrong... all you need is a tv with 120hz and up + a pair of 3D glasses?[/QUOTE]

You need a TV that has a "3d adaptor" port on the back. It's kind of like a Wii sensor bar. you sit it on top of the TV, and it sends a signal to the glasses. But yea-- 3D Ready TV, Glasses, Sensor.

I'm going to take a guess here and assume that most TVs outputting that high are going to support the technology because that's a relatively high level of performance, and there really aren't that many practical reasons to have it refresh that high.

[quote name='Koggit']You seem better informed than most, so I have another 3D question for you.

A few weeks ago, I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D at an AMC theater. The provided glasses had lenses that were tinted two different colors (red & yellow, I believe). The color of the video, viewed through the glasses, was really great -- it looked just as if I weren't wearing the glasses, the colors were spot on.

Yesterday, I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D at a Regal theater. The provided glasses had lenses that were both tinted gray. The color of the movie was terrible. It was like watching the movie through lightly-tinted sunglasses (whites were gray, the night scene near the beginning had very little detail, etc). I'd have rathered watch it in 2D than deal with the terrible color.

Do you know anything about these differences? Did the Regal theater give me the wrong (non-IMAX) glasses? Or is it just a crap-shoot, and there's no way to know if the glasses will suck until buying the ticket? It was very disappointing and I'd like to avoid the gray-tinted glasses in the future, but since they were both just billed as "IMAX 3D" I'm not sure what I should be avoiding.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure for certain. All the theaters around here use "Real-D" instead of IMAX 3D (our only IMAX is in a museum, so it just shows the educational stuff).

When the Real-D stuff started, I went to see Chicken Little and they gave everyone a pair of glasses that looked like the ones the character wears in the movie. You got to keep them after the movie too. They were cheap and tinted like you described. A few months later they had upgraded to the big fancy ones with the colorful lenses that you have to give back after the film. My assumption is that it's the same technology just using poorer equipment.

Be aware that a lot of 120hz TVs aren't really 120hz. Most of them just take a 60hz input and blink twice as fast, but aren't true 120. It's just a marketing gimmick, really.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What is the point of this thread? We've known about the update since CES over a month ago and there's nothing added in the article, so I'm guessing the OP works for that site.[/QUOTE]

You see what the other people are doing in this thread that arent complaining? They are what we call "conversing", that means they are discussing a certain topic with eachother. Its what is generally done on a forum.

Talking about things is nice to do sometimes, it beats looking around just for things to complain about for absolutely no reason at all.

I mean in the deals section people are still talking about god of war 3 ultimate edition being 90 bucks on amazon, does that mean they all work for amazon to since the deal isnt considered brand new to you?

If you dont like a thread then just leave it, it really is that easy.

[quote name='gargus']You see what the other people are doing in this thread that arent complaining? They are what we call "conversing", that means they are discussing a certain topic with eachother. Its what is generally done on a forum.

Talking about things is nice to do sometimes, it beats looking around just for things to complain about for absolutely no reason at all.

I mean in the deals section people are still talking about god of war 3 ultimate edition being 90 bucks on amazon, does that mean they all work for amazon to since the deal isnt considered brand new to you?

If you dont like a thread then just leave it, it really is that easy.[/QUOTE]
The thing here is that we already have a thread to discuss firmware updates that could've easily been bumped for this breaking news. I know that it must be hard to believe that it might be better to have one thread discussing a topic rather than multiple that pop up because people don't know where to post the "news."

Just look at how many threads have been made about Xbox Live on the original Xbox being shut down that should be pushed into one centralized thread rather than four threads spread out over multiple forums having the same conversations. I know the assumption I made here was wrong, but nine times out or ten, it's a safe assumption to make that this kind of thread is spam. Just to be nice and end this unnecessary conversation, I'll ask a mod to merge it into the appropriate thread so this thread serves some purpose after all.

Also, I'm not sure what talking about deals has to do with this since I was making a point about a repost of old news, not everyday discussions. Bad assumption on your part.

I have a question about 3.15 if anyone is willing to indulge me. Has your game folder changed to 'Unknown'? Can't remember what it was pre-update, but it wasn't that.

It's been bugging me ever since and I don't know how to rename it - if that's even possible.

Thanks.

edirt: I pressed square to get it back to the separate PS3 and PSP folders, but I still want to know if you can edit the name when it's all lumped into the single folder.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Hibiwa']I have a question about 3.15 if anyone is willing to indulge me. Has your game folder changed to 'Unknown'? Can't remember what it was pre-update, but it wasn't that.

It's been bugging me ever since and I don't know how to rename it - if that's even possible.

Thanks.

edirt: I pressed square to get it back to the separate PS3 and PSP folders, but I still want to know if you can edit the name when it's all lumped into the single folder.[/QUOTE]

Just set up Albums for your games.

Hover over Game -> Triangle -> Information -> Album -> and then give it an album name (like 'Demo', 'Game', 'Whatever') then you can sort by album.

I Personally have Albums entitled
Demo
Demoscene (containing Detuned and Linger)
Game (has most of my PSN downloads)
PSEye (containing my Eyegames.)
PSOne (with all of my psone downloads)
and Utility (with Adhock Party and other non games)

[quote name='jonlubbe']Just set up Albums for your games.

Hover over Game -> Triangle -> Information -> Album -> and then give it an album name (like 'Demo', 'Game', 'Whatever') then you can sort by album.

Demo
and Utility (with Adhock Party and other non games)[/QUOTE]

I have similar folders: All (games), non-game (QORE and stuff), EyeToy, PSone, and the catch-all for demos.

[quote name='jonlubbe']Just set up Albums for your games.

Demo
and Utility (with Adhock Party and other non games)[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much! I'm going to label one album as 'Sadistic' - for messed up games that bring out the worst in human nature.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']If the new (kinda new) Firmware update (which came out when, sorry?) doesn't need to be used to play, why would I update?[/QUOTE]

You'll have update to if you want to be able to go online for anything (PSN store, internet surfing, etc.)

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']If the new (kinda new) Firmware update (which came out when, sorry?) doesn't need to be used to play, why would I update?[/QUOTE]

Because Sony forces you to if you wanna play online. But if you use your PS3 only offline, then you're ok and don't have to do anything.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Because Sony forces you to if you wanna play online. But if you use your PS3 only offline, then you're ok and don't have to do anything.[/QUOTE]

Actually I recently discovered you have to update your firmware to play new games. I tried Fairytale Fights, but it wanted me to update to 3.01. I am currently at 2.76 I believe, since fallout 3 or borderlands required me to upgrade.

[quote name='slowdive21']Actually I recently discovered you have to update your firmware to play new games. I tried Fairytale Fights, but it wanted me to update to 3.01. I am currently at 2.76 I believe, since fallout 3 or borderlands required me to upgrade.[/QUOTE]
I think you don't have to update, but it will ask you everytime you put in that game to update if you never update, which is annoying. Also you definately won't be able to sign in while playing that game if you don't do the update.

Firmware 3.21 is releasing April 1st. One change revealed so far, and it only affects phat PS3s. Let's see, how to put this... PS3 Phat with Firmware 3.21: "It only does everything -- Except Linux."

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/28/ps3-firmware-v3-21-update/

PS3 Firmware (v3.21) Update

Posted by Patrick Seybold // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

The next system software update for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system will be released on April 1, 2010 (JST), and will disable the “Install Other OS” feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009. This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment will remove the functionality through the 3.21 system software update.

In addition, disabling the “Other OS” feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system.

Consumers and organizations that currently use the “Other OS” feature can choose not to upgrade their PS3 systems, although the following features will no longer be available;

* Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat
* Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later
* Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)
* Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later

For those PS3 users who are currently using the “Other OS” feature but choose to install the system software update, to avoid data loss they first need to back-up any data stored within the hard drive partition used by the “Other OS,” as they will not be able to access that data following the update.

Additional information about PS3 firmware updates, including v3.21 (once it becomes available), can be found here:
http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/index.htm

PS3 owners who have further questions should contact Consumer Services:
http://us.playstation.com/support/ask/
800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY)

That IAmTheCheapest dude still bitch up a storm about updates?

I'll give him the floor for this update - even though the 4/1 release has me crazy skeptical.

I'm a linux user, but frankly, I don't care that they're removing this (if they really are, and this isn't some April Fool's joke).

This makes sense anyway because, if you recall, a few months back a guy claimed to have cracked the PS3. I believe that his hack relied upon the Install Other OS feature (if I'm not mistaken).

So, if that's the case, you can thank douchebag hackers for ruining it for everyone.

EDIT:
Here's a random post from destructoid, but it seems to be the reason. I don't have time to click on the blog and look.

[geohotps3.blogspot.com]

Not last Thursday, but the one before, Geohot (the initial hacker of the fat PS3 back in January and the iPhone a few years back) has stated that he has been able to run custom themes on his fat PS3 and posted about how people can do this via the OtherOS hack (well at least those people with that hardware hacking contraption hooked up to their fat PS3s innards).

I was at first surprised at Sony's actions seeing as how I thought the hack was still useless, however now that firmware files have been flashed alarm bells are ringing at Sony HQ. Not to mention it sounds like the firmware files are very similar to the PSP, so those from the PSP scene may be able to jump in with a clue about what to do with the PS3.
Anyway, I hope that by locking these guys out of PSN, that they'll be able to secure our credit card info and all that stuff...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its dumb to take something away from a product.

I think the hax0rs are to blame for this.

I think its ok for this to happen, since maybe, MAYBE 0.00001% of PS3 users are using OtherOS and they're just a really loud and vocal community. Most of us would have nothing changed, and this helps sony fight off the hax0rs.

It is a big deal overall, taking away functionality, however i think it is one of those rare situations where it IS justified. Also, thank that geohot guy for this.

Ya this is kind of shitty. Its nice to know that if I am ever w/o a CPU, I can whip something up on PS3 in a few hours.

Well, hackers suck I guess. Unless they can deliver free PS3 games :)

[quote name='smiggity']Ya this is kind of shitty. Its nice to know that if I am ever w/o a CPU, I can whip something up on PS3 in a few hours.

Well, hackers suck I guess. Unless they can deliver free PS3 games :)[/QUOTE]

Yay for piracy?

I never planned on using Linux on my PS3, but this kinda sucks for people who used a bunch of PS3s as a supercomputer for cheap. Anyone think a PS3 without the firmware update will be worth more in the future?

bread's done
Back