The New, But Not Improved Firmware Thread: 4.00 Currently Available

While I'm not currently using OtherOS it's been something I've been meaning to set up and see how things work, as well as get some of the expanded emulation/media playback available through it. I was mostly trying to hold off until I got a bigger HD for my 60GB system to make up for the partitioning space loss and the like.

So while this doesn't affect me TODAY, the fact that Sony will remotely disable advertised functionality under the guise of "security" (hint: this isn't about YOUR security, it's about Sony's) REALLY pisses me off. What happens if someone finds a hack via the PS2 BC? Or SACD playback? Will they disable that feature?

I paid $500 (bought at first price drop, thanks Speedy for the warning ;) ) for my PS3 specifically so I'd have a fully functional PS3 that did everything the PS3 was capable of. It ended up being a really good move since so many nice touches on the PS3 have been removed-- it doesn't affect me that the Slim only has 2 USB ports or can't play SACDs-- but now this DOES affect me. And where will it end?

Instead of fixing the problem at the hypervisor level, Sony just removes a feature. It's lazy and arrogant, and is a horrible precedent for what may happen in the future.

Mark my words-- you will see MUCH more activity in breaking the PS3 open if Sony goes ahead with this boneheaded 3.21 firmware than you would have without it, as now the hackers will have all the incentive/cover they need-- "We're just putting back functionality Sony removed!"

They can have the power to remove the BC and Im thinking there is a chance that might happend so that they can try to get us to buy ps2>ps3 re-issue games sony removing this is bad even though I havent used the OS install feature(I have a 80Gb SBC model)
i think removing things is just bad (OS Installer and ps2 BC) and hackers are to blame. KOFFING SMOG ATTACK!!!!!

Removing the Other OS feature? Two words: slippery slope. I actually had Linux installed on my PS3 for a time. Came in real handy. I only uninstalled it because I got another computer and needed the hard drive space on my 60gig PS3.

This is not the kind of update Sony, Micro$oft, Nintendo, or anybody else should be forcing down our throats.

I tried Linux way back in '07 just to see what it was like, but the WiFi didn't work, so that was the end of that experiment. Even though I never would've used it, I still don't like features getting disabled. :(

If the Linux patch is an April Fools joke, it's a pretty strange one that gets Sony nothing other than ill will from their customers and potential customers.

It doesn't seem like smart business. Why Sony intentionally incite rage from current PS3 owners for a "ha ha, just kidding"? Even if they theoretically were going to announce software BC for all PS3 models on the 1st, they would get an equally positive response from a straightforward press release.

The patch is likely real, and is an attempt to combat piracy at the expense of already existing functionality.. which sucks for those who use it.

Edit: Some seem to be blaming the hacker who found the exploit. Why? Thats like finding a leaky pipe in your bathroom sink and deciding to fix it by filling the room with cement. There was a more delicate, appropriate way for Sony to fix this problem; They chose the easy way rather than the right one.

[quote name='Justin42']Mark my words-- you will see MUCH more activity in breaking the PS3 open if Sony goes ahead with this boneheaded 3.21 firmware than you would have without it, as now the hackers will have all the incentive/cover they need-- "We're just putting back functionality Sony removed!"[/QUOTE]

1. the PS3 is the last console to remain unbreakable, of course people are going to continue to try and crack it.

2. ^^They can try all they want, but Sony has (or will) made it even harder now by removing the OtherOS option.

I get why people are pissed, no one likes a feature being removed. But this is a clear case where removing said feature is necessary not only for Sony but for users as well. What if someone is able to hack the PS3 and somehow get into the PSN system (somehow)? There are a lot of what-ifs that Sony is trying to plug up right now, and I applaud them :)

[quote name='BattleChicken']Edit: Some seem to be blaming the hacker who found the exploit. Why? Thats like finding a leaky pipe in your bathroom sink and deciding to fix it by filling the room with cement. There was a more delicate, appropriate way for Sony to fix this problem; They chose the easy way rather than the right one.[/QUOTE]

If you could remove that leaky pipe so that it would never leak again...wouldn't you? Sony aren't being lazy they are completely removing the problem, which is the right way to go about this. We aren't talking about a leaky pipe that can be fixed, we're talking about a console that could be hacked and cost Sony, Publishers, and Developers A LOT of money and could potentially jeopardize PSN and everyone that uses it.

The more i think about it, the more i am supporting sony in their decision. Obviously it is not a widely used feature, and in fact, in the past 2 years i havent read the term OtherOS on the internet even once. No one cared about it.

My main concern is stuff that is happening on Xbox 360 with the JTAG consoles and the MW2 hacks. If you guys are unfamiliar with it, JTAG 360s can run unsigned code and once you go online with the hacked MW2, the hacks stay in the cache of everyone who was in the game, and spread over to other games and people as they play. Its insanely bad and ruining MW2 online for most people on the 360. Thankfully we only have to deal with IW glitches on the PS3 end, and of course lag switchers but every system has and will always have those.

If removing a useless feature will prevent the online gaming to remain in tip top shape, i say go for it. Last think we need is nuke care packages on PSN.

[quote name='blitz6speed']The more i think about it, the more i am supporting sony in their decision. Obviously it is not a widely used feature, and in fact, in the past 2 years i havent read the term OtherOS on the internet even once. No one cared about it.[/QUOTE]

Read: FOR YOUR PROTECTION.

Seriously, this is crap. I paid to be able to use OtherOS, and Sony shouldn't be able to take it away.

[quote name='billyrox']This is an April Fool's Joke. people relax.[/QUOTE]

That's what I think too... I mean, it's on April 1st, and the firmware is 3.21. 3, 2, 1... just sounds like a fake versions for some reason.

Of course, if this is true, I honestly don't care. I highly doubt most PS3 owners even used the Other OS feature.

It's a (currently) developer-only build that enables 3d output. Likely they had to rush out 3.21 for this "fix" "for our protection". They couldn't name it the same thing and have different functionality.

[quote name='SynGamer']If you could remove that leaky pipe so that it would never leak again...wouldn't you? Sony aren't being lazy they are completely removing the problem, which is the right way to go about this. We aren't talking about a leaky pipe that can be fixed, we're talking about a console that could be hacked and cost Sony, Publishers, and Developers A LOT of money and could potentially jeopardize PSN and everyone that uses it.[/QUOTE]

OK. Remove the pipe. Now you have no water in your bathroom, which reduces the utility of your bathroom.

"The Problem" as you call it, is a feature that they tried to sell the console on. The userbase is pretty slim for Linux on the PS3, but there is at least some non-trivial number of people who are upset by the change.

Sony is deciding to remove once-advertised features retroactively - there is no positive to that, especially since they didn't seem to try anything other than nuking it from orbit.

Really, though.. I think Linux only existed on the PS2 and PS3 to try and avoid European taxes... as computers were/are taxed differently than entertainment devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BattleChicken']
Really, though.. Linux only existed on the PS2 and PS3 to try and avoid European taxes... as computers were/are taxed differently than entertainment devices.[/QUOTE]

I had always thought it was an anti piracy measure in itself, as many of the enthusiasts who crack various hardware platforms, do so just to get Linux to run on it.

I run Linux on a few of my machines and TBH this is not a big loss. Since the distro couldnt access the RSX chip performance wasnt all that great. If I recall, it couldnt even support HD video, which meant for streaming media it wasnt any better than an original XBox running XBMC.

It sucks to have features removed, but I cant say Ill really miss this.

I am curious if theyll provide a way to downgrade your firmware so that anyone purchasing these in the future for the purpose of running another OS that they will still be able to do so.

[quote name='mykevermin']That IAmTheCheapest dude still bitch up a storm about updates?

I'll give him the floor for this update - even though the 4/1 release has me crazy skeptical.[/QUOTE]

Since I have a slim PS3 and thus don't have the 'other OS' thing on my PS3, I assume(probably incorrectly)that I won't have to download this shit, right?

Of course not. I'm sure Sony will make this mandatory for EVERYONE, like always.:roll:

[quote name='BattleChicken']OK. Remove the pipe. Now you have no water in your bathroom, which reduces the utility of your bathroom.

"The Problem" as you call it, is a feature that they tried to sell the console on. The userbase is pretty slim for Linux on the PS3, but there is at least some non-trivial number of people who are upset by the change.

Sony is deciding to remove once-advertised features retroactively - there is no positive to that, especially since they didn't seem to try anything other than nuking it from orbit.

Really, though.. I think Linux only existed on the PS2 and PS3 to try and avoid European taxes... as computers were/are taxed differently than entertainment devices.[/QUOTE]

Go back and read my post, I said "If you could", the keyword there being 'could'. I never said the pipe was integral to the plumbing system, just like OtherOS isn't integral to the PS3...get it?

@BattleChicken and others who are not blaming the hacker,

It most certainly is the hacker's fault. If he wouldn't have tried to crack the PS3, the Other OS option would have stayed. The guy created a maintenance nightmare for Sony, so they're cutting the option out completely before the pirates and the scammers try to use it to create root kits and phishing scams for PS3s.

Anyway, you aren't forced to update, you just can't access PSN if you don't do the update. Sony just doesn't want compromised systems on their network--and rightfully so.

This is how life always is, some small group of individuals has to ruin it for everyone--this is no different. Maybe people will finally learn not to do this kind of crap. If the hacker wanted to mod his system, fine, but he didn't have to publicize it. The guy is just an irresponsible douche, so if you want to blame someone, blame the hacker.

[quote name='phantasyx']OP or whoever has commented. Is this thread specifically for the April 1st update or all updates in general? (the impression I got was this was for all updates)

If you would like to save this thread from possible shutdown please continue here for the April 1 OS shutdown:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7019706#post7019706

Otherwise please change your title OP so I am not miss lead by creating a similar thread.[/QUOTE]

This thread has always served as the thread for ALL updates. But the OP may not be online or may not be monitoring it right this millisecond. People have lives outside of updating the threads they create. Shocking, I know.

But whatever you do, don't critique the useless crap in these updates in here or you'll be told to 'only game offline if you don't like it', among other things.:roll:

I couldn't care less about this update. Now, if this had something to do with creating better games for PSN, and putting some actual good psone games up on the store, I'd say go ahead and do whatever the heck you want with the updates.

If it creates one less distraction for the developers, then I'm all for it. Focus on the games.

I won't blame the hacker for being a hacker. That said, they're not giving you a choice. It's their network, and they can lock you out if you don't update. MS has been doing it for years...the only difference is that MS never gave the illusion of actually letting in developers, and their box has been hacked to death.

[quote name='phantasyx']OP or whoever has commented. Is this thread specifically for the April 1st update or all updates in general? (the impression I got was this was for all updates)

If you would like to save this thread from possible shutdown please continue here for the April 1 OS shutdown:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7019706#post7019706

Otherwise please change your title OP so I am not miss lead by creating a similar thread.[/QUOTE]
This is a general firmware thread. If people want to talk about upcoming changes in upcoming firmware updates, that's fine. If you want to make a separate thread for the otherOS issue, that's fine too. But there's no reason for me to change the thread title.

[quote name='jh6269']@BattleChicken and others who are not blaming the hacker,

It most certainly is the hacker's fault. If he wouldn't have tried to crack the PS3, the Other OS option would have stayed. The guy created a maintenance nightmare for Sony, so they're cutting the option out completely before the pirates and the scammers try to use it to create root kits and phishing scams for PS3s.

Anyway, you aren't forced to update, you just can't access PSN if you don't do the update. Sony just doesn't want compromised systems on their network--and rightfully so.

This is how life always is, some small group of individuals has to ruin it for everyone--this is no different. Maybe people will finally learn not to do this kind of crap. If the hacker wanted to mod his system, fine, but he didn't have to publicize it. The guy is just an irresponsible douche, so if you want to blame someone, blame the hacker.[/QUOTE]

You're not going to get "rootkits and phishing scams" because of OtherOS. What is ironic is you COULD get a rootkit courtesy of SONY if you played one of their CDs in your computer back a few years ago! So trying to pretend that Sony is some white knight on a horse here is really missing the mark.

Even if it was cracked wide open, IT WOULD NOT AFFECT YOUR SECURITY ONE BIT UNLESS YOU INSTALLED SOMETHING. There is so much misunderstanding of what is happening-- and therefore "Sony is awesome, please protect me!" attitudes-- it's really frustrating. YOUR unhacked PS3 would continue to not run unsigned code, so nothing written by a hacker would ever run. It would only run on hacked PS3s. That's the whole point of hacking.

ALL OtherOS does is open up your system to allow you to install another OS. This is the FIRST STEP-- it won't allow you to run Linux in the background while you're running PS3 games, it's not an attack vector in and of itself for malicious code to run. OtherOS basically sets up your PS3 to be a dual-boot computer, with a PS3 mode and an OtherOS mode. They're entirely separate. Sony extremely limits what can be done in OtherOS mode-- no access to the graphics chip, for example. This also prevents developers from using OtherOS to be a super cheap dev kit and keep their real dev kits really expensive.

This hack STILL REQUIRES you to open your PS3, solder in some additional equipment, and does not (at this time) allow you to play games. Sony, instead of fixing whatever vulnerability exists, just goes and turns off the feature, pats itself on the back, and makes up a bunch of total BS about "security" and "bogeymen" and stuff to scare people.

And if Sony thinks the problem is bad now, when it's basically an unexploitable and untouchable hack for all but the most super dedicated, they've opened the barn door with this idiotic reponse. Hackers try to hack systems to do what they want them to do-- like tweaking a car to get more MPG or go faster or whatever. Pirates then come in and take what the hackers did and make it run pirated stuff. The problem is, without the hackers paving the way, the other groups would have no clue what to do.

So what happens now? Hackers were more or less staying away from the PS3 as a hacking platform-- it already ran Linux, could do what they wanted, and there wasn't much of a need to do anything. However, now that Sony is closing up the option, it's the perfect excuse to hack the hell out of the PS3 and prove their superiority to Sony. And I have no doubt who is going to win, and it won't be pretty for Sony. They've pissed off the very people who understand their hardware, probably better than they do, and are in a position to really embarrass Sony.

And if you don't update, it's not just you "can't access PSN" -- you eventually won't be able to play new games that require newer firmware. You eventually won't be able to play new Bluray discs that need newer firmware. Your system basically becomes a relic, frozen in time with what the PS3 was capable of playing on March 31, 2010. Thanks to content producers becoming obsessed with DRM and preventing LEGAL owners from doing what they want (because the pirates have pirated copies they can distribute, copy, etc), PS3 owners who WANT TO KEEP THE FEATURES THE SYSTEM SHIPPED WITH won't be able to also use the system into the future. Sony is forcing people to decide now-- for once and for all, since we all know you can't downgrade-- what they want to do. And if you choose the wrong answer and decide you wanted to do the other path, sorry, tough.

Again, this has nothing to do with YOUR security. That's a complete line of BS fed to you by Sony. This has EVERYTHING to do with Sony's corporate paranoia. Someone, somewhere, somehow is possibly doing something that may or may not be something Sony feels is acceptable. And Sony's going to nuke millions of PS3s' capabilities, instead of FIXING THE PROBLEM.

This is sort of like demolishing one room in your house when the room needs painting-- too much hassle to paint, so let's just tear it down and forget it ever existed.

by the way, for everyone saying "This is not an important feature", read http://kotaku.com/235049/20-questions-with-phil-harrison-at-dice . Phil Harrison (then the President of Sony Computer Entertainment) says "One of the most powerful things about the PS3 is the "Install Other OS" option. "

When you have the high level execs at Sony talking up a feature, they know it's there, they know it'll sell machines.

[quote name='Justin42']by the way, for everyone saying "This is not an important feature", read http://kotaku.com/235049/20-questions-with-phil-harrison-at-dice . Phil Harrison (then the President of Sony Computer Entertainment) says "One of the most powerful things about the PS3 is the "Install Other OS" option. "

When you have the high level execs at Sony talking up a feature, they know it's there, they know it'll sell machines.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, high level execs are dickheads and 99% of the time talk out of their ass sideways. He probably saw "install other OS" in a bullet point in a Powerpoint presentation and randomly latched onto it.

[quote name='Justin42']by the way, for everyone saying "This is not an important feature", read http://kotaku.com/235049/20-questions-with-phil-harrison-at-dice . Phil Harrison (then the President of Sony Computer Entertainment) says "One of the most powerful things about the PS3 is the "Install Other OS" option. "
[/QUOTE]

And Jack Tretton said the Wii/Wii remote was a lollipop. And we all know what Sony's next "big thing" is going to be...

I read an article on this yesterday and I was wondering how long it would take to get this thread buzzing. I love how they keep saying it's "optional" but if you don't download it you won't be able to access the PSN, play newer Bluray movies, or newer games that require the update.

I dont see the big deal. Why is everyone so interested in having Linux on their PS3 if they aren't running some type of hack/pirated games/cheats?

[quote name='lordopus99']I dont see the big deal. Why is everyone so interested in having Linux on their PS3 if they aren't running some type of hack/pirated games/cheats?[/QUOTE]

First, there are no hacks or pirated games running on the PS3, Linux or otherwise.

The problem is Sony is remotely disabling advertised functionality from the PS3 instead of fixing the security issue.

What if playing PS2 games on a BC PS3 was found to be a security risk? (And honestly, I bet it is, since often times systems are hacked when they "change modes" into compatibility modes, the DS was only hacked because of the Gameboy compatibility IIRC, and many of the PS2 hacks relied on the PS1 compatibility) Would it be ok for Sony to say "Well, no one REALLY uses this, so we're just going to turn it off tomorrow-- it's totally optional to upgrade, as long as you don't mind ever playing online again, or playing any new games or movies that come out!"

It's a very, very slippery slope. Just because it's not a feature that you use, it should concern you that Sony is too lazy to fix problems with their system and just goes and disables functionality in a way that makes you decide which portion of your FULLY functional PS3 you wish to continue to use, knowing that whichever decision you make, you won't get back the previously functional aspects of your system that worked fine.

Imagine if a car company said "Hey, we found a problem with 5th gear on our cars. The car might burst into flames. We know not many people drive that fast, so for your security we're just going to shut down 5th gear. Now, you don't need to come in for this upgrade, but if you don't, you won't be able to put on your turn signals or use the radio." It's turning off a feature that not many use, but then calling it optional and telling people who don't upgrade they lose OTHER functionality totally unrelated to the feature they turned off. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

[quote name='Chitown021']I read an article on this yesterday and I was wondering how long it would take to get this thread buzzing. I love how they keep saying it's "optional" but if you don't download it you won't be able to access the PSN, play newer Bluray movies, or newer games that require the update.[/QUOTE]
That's how it is for every system if you don't want to update.

[quote name='SynGamer']Go back and read my post, I said "If you could", the keyword there being 'could'. I never said the pipe was integral to the plumbing system, just like OtherOS isn't integral to the PS3...get it?[/QUOTE]

Who says it isn't integral to someone's purchase of a the PS3? Getting a linux based computer, which can do a number of things the PS3 proper cannot, WAS a selling point both by the company and by many people who purchased the device. Just because you don't value the feature doesn't mean it has no value.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...tm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

Hackers are now becoming more interested in the platform.. looks like plans for custom firmware are in the works now, where nobody had the interest before the announcement. Hackers will find a way to hack anything - this update won't change that.

Finally, Hacking does not equal Piracy. Hacking does not equal a security risk.

I can understand Sony's rationale behind a release of this firmware, but not the way in which they're doing it. They are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I bought a fat ps3 because it had the OtherOS feature and that inherent flexibility (and I like the aesthetics of the fat models better than the slims). Yes, Linux users on PS3 are a small group, but it's the principle of the thing, Sony's been retroactively removing features ever since the first gen, citing price and now security.

The thing is, I think they've blown Geohot's hack way out of proportion. It's an extremely crude, dirty hardware hack that only is successful under 50% of the time and only would be attempted by real tech-heads. All it does is open a door to the hypervisor a crack. That's it. The chasm between that and running unsigned code or burned Blurays is a damn long one.

[quote name='BattleChicken']Who says it isn't integral to someone's purchase of a the PS3? Getting a linux based computer, which can do a number of things the PS3 proper cannot, WAS a selling point both by the company and by many people who purchased the device. Just because you don't value the feature doesn't mean it has no value.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...tm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

Hackers are now becoming more interested in the platform.. looks like plans for custom firmware are in the works now, where nobody had the interest before the announcement. Hackers will find a way to hack anything - this update won't change that.

Finally, Hacking does not equal Piracy. Hacking does not equal a security risk.[/QUOTE]

Where have you been for the last 20+ years? Hack most certainly equals a security risk. Because like anything else in life, there will be people who want to abuse what the hackers have done and therein lies the problem. Sony may not be able to stop hackers, but this is a way of slowing them down...

[quote name='SynGamer']Where have you been for the last 20+ years? Hack most certainly equals a security risk. Because like anything else in life, there will be people who want to abuse what the hackers have done and therein lies the problem. Sony may not be able to stop hackers, but this is a way of slowing them down...[/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_(computer_security)#Hacker_attitudes

Not all hackers are created equal, not all hackers are bad people. Most security researchers would be called hackers.

http://dvlabs.tippingpoint.com/blog/2010/02/15/pwn2own-2010

Pwn2own is a good example. Hackers from all over broke security on browsers, phones, and operating systems. All those exploits were reported to the companies, so they can fix the holes. Really, what happened with Linux on the PS3 gave Sony the same opportunity.

The hole was made evident because someone was curious and found an obscure way to beat the system. Sony learned of the hole because it was made public, and had a chance to fix it. Instead, they removed the functionality; which is lazy. Any OS's security is a constant struggle with new holes being found that have to get patched.. but I don't see Microsoft or Apple remove CD drive support because a security flaw might let someone do something sketchy with the computer.

The PS3 hacker, Geohot, is the same guy who jailbroke the iPhone. Some people used it to pirate software, others used it to expand the capabilities of their phones, allowing them to do things Apple won't allow them to do out of the box. The ability to circumvent a device's security to let a user do things the manufacturer doesn't want them to isn't evil -- It is potential.

Hacking has taken on a more negative connotation than it had originally, though.. so really we're talking about entirely different things.. so I'll agree with you that using the modern, media definition of hacker, it is almost always bad. I don't think this is one of those cases -- This specific hack is so difficult to pull off, and Sony's reaction to it is way overblown.

[quote name='BattleChicken']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_%28computer_security%29#Hacker_attitudes

Not all hackers are created equal, not all hackers are bad people. Most security researchers would be called hackers.

http://dvlabs.tippingpoint.com/blog/2010/02/15/pwn2own-2010

Pwn2own is a good example. Hackers from all over broke security on browsers, phones, and operating systems. All those exploits were reported to the companies, so they can fix the holes. Really, what happened with Linux on the PS3 gave Sony the same opportunity.

The hole was made evident because someone was curious and found an obscure way to beat the system. Sony learned of the hole because it was made public, and had a chance to fix it. Instead, they removed the functionality; which is lazy. Any OS's security is a constant struggle with new holes being found that have to get patched.. but I don't see Microsoft or Apple remove CD drive support because a security flaw might let someone do something sketchy with the computer.

The PS3 hacker, Geohot, is the same guy who jailbroke the iPhone. Some people used it to pirate software, others used it to expand the capabilities of their phones, allowing them to do things Apple won't allow them to do out of the box. The ability to circumvent a device's security to let a user do things the manufacturer doesn't want them to isn't evil -- It is potential.

Hacking has taken on a more negative connotation than it had originally, though.. so really we're talking about entirely different things.. so I'll agree with you that using the modern, media definition of hacker, it is almost always bad. I don't think this is one of those cases -- This specific hack is so difficult to pull off, and Sony's reaction to it is way overblown.[/QUOTE]

Geohot didn't crack the iPhone. He made the loader easy so any idiot could use it. He's the glory hound that let other people do the heavy lifting while he made the thing idiot proof which essentially launched him into the limelight.

And it's easier to remove something outright then to patch it and possibly make another security breach. Also keep in mind that Geohot said that the PS3 exploit was with the hardware itself so Sony could most likely NOT patch it via firmware. If that's the case, Sony did the right thing.

nolinux.jpg

Well, I just went to sign in and got prompted to update. It's downloading an apparently hugeass update now...

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's up now, so pick your poison.[/QUOTE]

I suppose EVERYONE has to update, even those of us with slim PS3's without the 'other OS' function on our systems?:roll: If true, then this is total bullshit.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I suppose EVERYONE has to update, even those of us with slim PS3's without the 'other OS' function on our systems?:roll: If true, then this is total bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I have a slim and you HAVE to update regardless.

[quote name='Megiddo_CAG']Yep, I have a slim and you HAVE to update regardless.[/QUOTE]

Really? Oh for fuck's sake. The update is for people with the systems with the 'other OS' thing, yet even the slim owners have to update. fuck Sony and the horse they rode in on.

I hate losing gaming time(which I do around this time of day/night)when I'm forced to update with these bullshit firmware updates.

At least if they added in something useful and valuable it wouldn't be so bad. But 90 Playstation Store icons, Facebook icon, etc, etc=not valuable(to me).

Again, fuck Sony. I hope someone hacks their damned network and crashes them for good. They deserve to end up like Sega, only making games for other companies' consoles after pounding consumers in the cornhole this gen thus far.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Really? Oh for fuck's sake. The update is for people with the systems with the 'other OS' thing, yet even the slim owners have to update. fuck Sony and the horse they rode in on.

I hate losing gaming time(which I do around this time of day/night)when I'm forced to update with these bullshit firmware updates.

At least if they added in something useful and valuable it wouldn't be so bad. But 90 Playstation Store icons, Facebook icon, etc, etc=not valuable(to me).

Again, fuck Sony. I hope someone hacks their damned network and crashes them for good. They deserve to end up like Sega, only making games for other companies' consoles after pounding consumers in the cornhole this gen thus far.[/QUOTE]

Time for words of wisdom

NO U

[quote name='Paco']Time for words of wisdom

NO U[/QUOTE]
:razz: I'm shocked more haven't said 'it only takes 10 minutes' and the usual bevy of 'you're whining about an update' responses like usual.

But I think I(as a PS3 slim owner) have a real reason to this time, since this update does nothing for me because I have a system without the other OS thing on it. So why do we ALL have to download this update again?:roll:

Again, I hope Sony enjoys joining Sega in being only a game developer/publisher, since from the responses I've seen thus far online they have pissed off many gamers with this downgrade of an update.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:razz: I'm shocked more haven't said 'it only takes 10 minutes' and the usual bevy of 'you're whining about an update' responses like usual.

But I think I(as a PS3 slim owner) have a real reason to this time, since this update does nothing for me because I have a system without the other OS thing on it. So why do we ALL have to download this update again?:roll:

Again, I hope Sony enjoys joining Sega in being only a game developer/publisher, since from the responses I've seen thus far online they have pissed off many gamers with this downgrade of an update.[/QUOTE]

You must be psychic. I just read your other post and I was about to say it only took me 5 mins to download/install. Stop your bitching. ;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:razz: I'm shocked more haven't said 'it only takes 10 minutes' and the usual bevy of 'you're whining about an update' responses like usual.

Again, I hope Sony enjoys joining Sega in being only a game developer/publisher, since from the responses I've seen thus far online they have pissed off many gamers with this downgrade of an update.[/QUOTE]
Except that you do this every single time like updates somehow work differently than before. It's like clockwork every single time.

bread's done
Back