The Official 2007/2008 NBA thread

capt.5275748293774f58abaf7dd41be9ae85.nba_finals_basketball_bxg2.jpg

Michael Wilbon just argued that this Celtics team had the best defense since the 96 Bulls. T-Mac said its the best D he's ever seen, D-Wade said its the best he's ever seen. Even Pippen went out of his way to laud this defense.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Ummm.....didnt the Lakers get Gasol for fucking Kwame Brown?

No room to talk my friend...no room to talk.

Bye bye lakers. I knew you would lose this entire time..the only reason you won any games was solely do to the refs. It was clear from the start that Boston was 3 levels higher than you ever could be.

And to completely completely fall apart at the end is the best thing I have ever seen. You were embarrassed in each and every game you played. Even the games you won you were embarrassed. Boston completely owned you.

The only thing that makes this bad....is an interview by stephen a fucking smith. I hate this guy and wish he would get fired...he is such a dumbass. He is almost always wrong with his predictions and I still dont know why he needs to hell so god damn much all the time.[/quote]

"I mean shit he gave away KG for nothing, when other offers were on the table, but got the shittiest offer from the Celtics and accepted it? Wack. Ditto, with the Gasol trade. "

Need to learn how to read my friend.

Here's Kobe's post-game press conference:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=81D1TD1nkFg

Try and refrain from saying "fuck Kobe" "Rapist" etc...

The whole interview you could see him holding back almost wanting to yell. The question about "How would you evaluate the young talent on the team" "I don't know man". Obviously frustrated. But, no doubt he'll come back and the Lakers have to be favorites.

Congrats to boston. Looks like they can take pretty much every sport except hockey, and maybe football now that they can't cheat anymore ;)

Anyone else heard KG say Mother fucker and ABC cut it before people could hear the end of it? At least that is what I thought he said. He was quite emotional at the end of the game.

I am happy PJ Brown and all the other veteran Celtics finally won a championship.

Lakers will have the opportunity to win next year and for many years to come. They have a solid young team.

I absolutely despise the Lakers (for many reasons, but not as much as the Knicks or Pacers), so I was glad to see the Celtics win (I'm also more of an Eastern Conference person, since that's where my NBA team is). I watched the game and very glad to see many players on the Celtics get their first championship. Rondo played very impressive too.

[quote name='ananag112']Anyone else heard KG say Mother fucker and ABC cut it before people could hear the end of it? At least that is what I thought he said. He was quite emotional at the end of the game.[/QUOTE]

Yeap, they cut the audio a number of times, too.

[quote name='ph33r m3']"I mean shit he gave away KG for nothing, when other offers were on the table, but got the shittiest offer from the Celtics and accepted it? Wack. Ditto, with the Gasol trade. "

Need to learn how to read my friend.[/quote]

Yeah I knew what you meant. And thanks for the pre school..learn how to read comment.

Your just bitching about nothing. Boston got KG but you got Gasol for fucking nothing also so shut your mouth about it.

I dont see how you can bitch about Boston getting KG how ever they got him when you traded a bag of rocks and a stump in Kwame Brown to get Gasol.

Which I might add was the only reason you even made it to the god damn finals......because you were gifted a center the very second Bynum went down. Lets not forget the Lakers went 5-5 without Bynum and didnt look no where near the same team.

Honestly...how many excuses can you laker guys go through before realizing your team just simply wasnt that good. Do you realize how stupid that sounds to complain about how Boston got KG when Memphis simply gave you their best player for one of the worst players in the NBA. :roll:

yea, i was wondering if my TV conveniently lost sound for a bit or if it was intentional...because it happened a few other times but they seemed like non-cursing moments when it cut off earlier

[quote name='Demolition Man']Sadly I was working when the game was on live. I knew the game would be reaired tonight therefore I did everything to advoid knowing the outcome so I could enjoy the game no differently then I would have live.

Sadly I have not been following the South American WC Qualifier. Tommorow alone between two Euro games at the same time along with the Revs vs Red Bulls MLS game.... yep, I got plenty of soccer to enjoy for sure. :bouncy:[/quote]

Heh, I've been catching highlights of most of the games, I'mma be looking out for the Russia v. Sweden game, Russia's gotta win to avoid elimination.

Last full game I caught was USA v. Barbados, and they demolished Barbados 8-0

[quote name='Soodmeg']What the duce? There are many soccer fans in CAG?

I constantly talk about soccer and no one response. We should make a soccer thread.

The worst thing about the ending of the finals is that there is a huge void from now till the begining of football season where baseball dominates every sports outlet. Its not that I dislike baseball...its just suck complete ass that you cant go or do anything without it being there. I am all about soccer during these times.[/quote]
I got more into soccer starting from the FIFA world cup in 2006. I just started paying more attention to it and I just got sucked in. The cool thing about soccer is it's practically a year-round sport, it never seems to stop :p

I hate baseball, period, unless it's some highlights, ditto with golf.

My sports viewing goes NFL/NCAA FB/NCAA BB ---> NHL/NBA ---> Futbol
I'll also throw Rugby in there whenever I get a chance to watch a game.

I'm a sports nut, I'm just hoping Russel Crowe can actually succeed in bringing over Rugby to the US.

Congrats to Boston, they really outplayed the Lakers for most of the series. Their defense was so much better. They really deserve to win it after their performance against the Lakers.

Hopefully the Lakers will take this experience and bounce back next season with a championship of their own. It was a good season for them with a lot of ups and downs, but I'm proud that the Lakers got this far when everyone was writing them out at the beginning of the season.

[quote name='ananag112']Anyone else heard KG say Mother fucker and ABC cut it before people could hear the end of it? At least that is what I thought he said. He was quite emotional at the end of the game.

I am happy PJ Brown and all the other veteran Celtics finally won a championship.

Lakers will have the opportunity to win next year and for many years to come. They have a solid young team.[/quote]

KG had a potty mouth the whole game. I was watching it in HD and the had to blank out a lot. I lip read pretty well and KG has done this years, but someone needs to tell him that with HD and surround sound he needs to tone it down on national television. Who does he think he is, Ozzie Guillen? :lol:

Seriously though, its pretty classless when any athlete does that live, not just KG.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']KG had a potty mouth the whole game. I was watching it in HD and the had to blank out a lot. I lip read pretty well and KG has done this years, but someone needs to tell him that with HD and surround sound he needs to tone it down on national television. Who does he think he is, Ozzie Guillen? :lol:

Seriously though, its pretty classless when any athlete does that live, not just KG.[/quote]

Have you ever played a sport?

Swearing and contact sports go hand and hand. When you are voluntarily getting your body smashed by other people then you have a right to let out a couple swear words. Plus as an athlete you are not worrying about people sitting at home or people in the stands. Networks have a 10 second delay for a reason.

The NBA makes billions of these guys (though most make a good chunk back) they have the right to swear as much as they want.

He just won a championship achieving something he has wished his whole life, let him swear. Like athletics are the only people on the planet that swear.

You want classless look op San Antonio Spurs and then get back to us.

[quote name='ph33r m3']"I mean shit he gave away KG for nothing, when other offers were on the table, but got the shittiest offer from the Celtics and accepted it? Wack. Ditto, with the Gasol trade. "

Need to learn how to read my friend.[/QUOTE]
They got Al Jefferson, a young big who is going to be a star in this league. He's better than Bynum, and even if you want to argue that, look at it from the context of last offseason, without what Bynum did this year.

They also got their own 1st round pick back, 3rd overall, along with the Celtics' 1st in 09. Ryan Gomes has been a 12/6 guy the last 2 years. And Theo Ratliff's expiring contract gives them cap room.

Ryan Gomes > Javaris Crittenton
3rd overall pick in 08, Celtics 1st in 09 > 28th overall pick in 08 and Lakers 1st in 2010.
Theo Ratliff's expiring 11.66, Telfair's expiring 2.56 > Kwame Brown's expiring 9.075

Plus AL JEFFERSON. The Celtics actually had to give up a young big who is averaging 21/11 at 22/23 years old. Minnesota is building their whole team around him. Nobody else had a young big that Kevin McHale felt would be a legit star to build a team around.

[quote name='dafoomie']They got Al Jefferson, a young big who is going to be a star in this league. He's better than Bynum, and even if you want to argue that, look at it from the context of last offseason, without what Bynum did this year.

They also got their own 1st round pick back, 3rd overall, along with the Celtics' 1st in 09. Ryan Gomes has been a 12/6 guy the last 2 years. And Theo Ratliff's expiring contract gives them cap room.

Ryan Gomes > Javaris Crittenton
3rd overall pick in 08, Celtics 1st in 09 > 28th overall pick in 08 and Lakers 1st in 2010.
Theo Ratliff's expiring 11.66, Telfair's expiring 2.56 > Kwame Brown's expiring 9.075

Plus AL JEFFERSON. The Celtics actually had to give up a young big who is averaging 21/11 at 22/23 years old. Minnesota is building their whole team around him. Nobody else had a young big that Kevin McHale felt would be a legit star to build a team around.[/quote]

I'm not saying Al Jefferson isn't going to be a star, if I remember this year he averaged like 20/10. But, that's on a horrible fuckin' team, only option. I mean shit, Brewer is a bust already, Foye is their 2nd best option? McCants can't ball either.

McHale got the offer from the Warriors and declined...which maybe i'm just bias but i'd saye Biedrins/Ellis/Wright is a lot better than the offer they got. I'm glad the Warriors didn't make the trade seeing as how Ellis is going to be a stud.

[quote name='primetime']What did she do?[/QUOTE]
She said rooting for the Celtics was like saying Hitler was a victim, and like wanting Gorbachev to reach the blinking red button first before Reagan. She brought up racism too, like she always does.

She's a Pistons homer who likes to bring up the race card in everything she does.

[quote name='primetime']What did she do?[/quote]
She was suspended because of this

[quote name='dafoomie']She said rooting for the Celtics was like saying Hitler was a victim, and like wanting Gorbachev to reach the blinking red button first before Reagan. She brought up racism too, like she always does.

She's a Pistons homer who likes to bring up the race card in everything she does.[/quote]
I find it odd that she says that, seeing how she is african american and just about the whole Celtics team is of the same race.

The whole thing just boggles my mind

[quote name='dafoomie']She said rooting for the Celtics was like saying Hitler was a victim, and like wanting Gorbachev to reach the blinking red button first before Reagan. She brought up racism too, like she always does.

She's a Pistons homer who likes to bring up the race card in everything she does.[/quote]
I find it odd that she says that, seeing how she is african american and just about the whole Celtics team is of the same race.

[quote name='primetime']What did she do?[/quote]

Compared Boston to Hilter for some reason.

Yeah it was stupid.

I think the quote was.

Cheering for Boston is like making Hilter out to be the bad guy.

Something like that.

[quote name='ph33r m3']I'm not saying Al Jefferson isn't going to be a star, if I remember this year he averaged like 20/10. But, that's on a horrible fuckin' team, only option. I mean shit, Brewer is a bust already, Foye is their 2nd best option? McCants can't ball either.

McHale got the offer from the Warriors and declined...which maybe i'm just bias but i'd saye Biedrins/Ellis/Wright is a lot better than the offer they got. I'm glad the Warriors didn't make the trade seeing as how Ellis is going to be a stud.[/QUOTE]
Jefferson + Mayo or whoever they draft at #3 is better than that.

Ellis is an undersized combo guard who plays no D. Skilled bigs are harder to find.

She should be fired, dumb bitch called for the firing of Don Imus. Ditto should happen to her.

I understand what she was trying to say, but she's phrased it totalllly wrong.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']She was suspended because of this

The whole thing just boggles my mind[/quote]

Well its because....her..like many of the ESPN analyst...are just fucking stupid.

She rarely makes sense and tries to hard to be like Jim Rome in her columns...always trying to bring up hot topic conversation when there really is none.

She always pitched a bitch about how black people are always portrayed like animals on the cover of magazines because they are often seen screaming or something. This was the cover she was referring to. She compared Lebron to King Kong.
37138245.jpg
Clearly Bron Bron posed for this cover and approved it so he doesnt feel it disgraces him in anyway. He is also always seen in really nice suits.

Most ESPN people are just retarded half the time. They are wrong in most of their predictions, they bash all the easy targets and praise even easier targets.

The network just kinda sucks.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Well its because....her..like many of the ESPN analyst...are just fucking stupid.

She rarely makes sense and tries to hard to be like Jim Rome in her columns...always trying to bring up hot topic conversation when there really is none.

She always pitched a bitch about how black people are always portrayed like animals on the cover of magazines because they are often seen screaming or something. This was the cover she was referring to. She compared Lebron to King Kong.
37138245.jpg
Clearly Bron Bron posed for this cover and approved it so he doesnt feel it disgraces him in anyway. He is also always seen in really nice suits.

Most ESPN people are just retarded half the time. They are wrong in most of their predictions, they bash all the easy targets and praise even easier targets.

The network just kinda sucks.[/quote]

I'm familiar with her a little bit and I do remember that discussion. I think I actually agree with her on that one, but that's a wayyy different discussion. Let's not go down that road.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Well its because....her..like many of the ESPN analyst...are just fucking stupid.

37138245.jpg

The network just kinda sucks.[/quote]

Actually, Hill wasn't the only one to bring up that cover, on the Bob Costas now, Michael Wilbon who's a great journalist/commentator said "You wouldn't see Tom Brady or Peyton Manning doing that".

Which is totally true, not going to get into some big race arguement but would you see Carson Palmer or Eli doing that? No.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Have you ever played a sport?

Swearing and contact sports go hand and hand. When you are voluntarily getting your body smashed by other people then you have a right to let out a couple swear words. Plus as an athlete you are not worrying about people sitting at home or people in the stands. Networks have a 10 second delay for a reason.

The NBA makes billions of these guys (though most make a good chunk back) they have the right to swear as much as they want.

He just won a championship achieving something he has wished his whole life, let him swear. Like athletics are the only people on the planet that swear.

You want classless look op San Antonio Spurs and then get back to us.[/quote]

Yes, I played played basketball from 4th grade to college. I played high school ball in North Dakota, Maryland and Virginia. I was a state all-tournament player in the VCCS. I took the Tim Duncan route in everything I did. No cursing, no showboating, and respect for your opponent. Granted, I know I wasn't on the NBA stage however....

It is one thing to swear on a court after a hard foul or play. That is understandable. It is entirely another thing to do so after the game is over and you are being interviewed on national TV.

*edit* I just realized I failed to put that underlined part in my original post. My bad.

I have never seen anyone other than KG swear like that after winning the Finals. I could be wrong, but I don't ever recall Jordan, Bird, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe or whoever else you want to name drop an f-bomb in that particular situation (after winning the title). That is the main reason I had issue with it. Doc Rivers didn't do it, Ray Allen didn't do it, and Paul Pierce didn't do it either. They knew they were being interviewed on national TV and kept a dignity about themselves.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Yes, I played played basketball from 4th grade to college. I played high school ball in North Dakota, Maryland and Virginia. I was a state all-tournament player in the VCCS. I took the Tim Duncan route in everything I did. No cursing, no showboating, and respect for your opponent. Granted, I know I wasn't on the NBA stage however....

It is one thing to swear on a court after a hard foul or play. That is understandable. It is entirely another thing to do so after the game is over and you are being interviewed on national TV.

I have never seen anyone other than KG swear like that after winning the Finals. I could be wrong, but I don't ever recall Jordan, Bird, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe or whoever else you want to name drop an f-bomb in that particular situation (after winning the title). That is the main reason I had issue with it. Doc Rivers didn't do it, Ray Allen didn't do it, and Paul Pierce didn't do it either. They knew they were being interviewed on national TV and kept a dignity about themselves.[/quote]

Didn't you get the memo though bro? KG's actually crazy.....

I can understand if you want to curse on the court after a bad foul/nice play, but no on television.

Shaq did curse, called some called bullshit, I don't have the video but I remember the announcer saying "Shaq were on TV" "I don't give a fuck"

[quote name='ph33r m3']Actually, Hill wasn't the only one to bring up that cover, on the Bob Costas now, Michael Wilbon who's a great journalist/commentator said "You wouldn't see Tom Brady or Peyton Manning doing that".

Which is totally true, not going to get into some big race arguement but would you see Carson Palmer or Eli doing that? No.[/quote]

Still wouldnt matter. Its a style that black people outwardly display all the time. You see it after KG dunks on a guy...after Lebron 360's jams on a guy...even after Mutumbo blocks a guy.

Black people do that all the time. Its how we act. In every sports outlet you will see blacks talking trash, grimming people, and just simply being outwardly aggressive to others.

White people do not. You wont see Tom Brady doing that on a cover because he doesnt do it in a game. Where has you will see McNabb moonwalking or culpepper doing his lets roll. I have yet to see Steve Nash shoot a contested shot over someone and then make sure that person knows what just happened like Kobe does, or Allen Iverson.

Black people have been doing this is sports since they were allowed to be in them, its nothing new.

Its very very hypocritical to say that having a black guy on a cover screaming is somehow bad when we do it all the god damn time in every single game. And lets not forget that these athletes approve the cover before it comes out. So its no surprise.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Still wouldnt matter. Its a style that black people outwardly display all the time. You see it after KG dunks on a guy...after Lebron 360's jams on a guy...even after Mutumbo blocks a guy.

Black people do that all the time. Its how we act. In every sports outlet you will see blacks talking trash, grimming people, and just simply being outwardly aggressive to others.

White people do not. You wont see Tom Brady doing that on a cover because he doesnt do it in a game. Where has you will see McNabb moonwalking or culpepper doing his lets roll. I have yet to see Steve Nash shoot a contested shot over someone and then make sure that person knows what just happened like Kobe does, or Allen Iverson.

Black people have been doing this is sports since they were allowed to be in them, its nothing new.

Its very very hypocritical to say that having a black guy on a cover screaming is somehow bad when we do it all the god damn time in every single game. And lets not forget that these athletes approve the cover before it comes out. So its no surprise.[/quote]

It's how black people act...got it.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Yes, I played played basketball from 4th grade to college. I played high school ball in North Dakota, Maryland and Virginia. I was a state all-tournament player in the VCCS. I took the Tim Duncan route in everything I did. No cursing, no showboating, and respect for your opponent. Granted, I know I wasn't on the NBA stage however....

*edit* I just realized I failed to put that underlined part in my original post. My bad.

I have never seen anyone other than KG swear like that after winning the Finals. I could be wrong, but I don't ever recall Jordan, Bird, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe or whoever else you want to name drop an f-bomb in that particular situation (after winning the title). That is the main reason I had issue with it. Doc Rivers didn't do it, Ray Allen didn't do it, and Paul Pierce didn't do it either. They knew they were being interviewed on national TV and kept a dignity about themselves.[/quote]

I still dont think its a big deal and I dont think its classless of him. He is a pretty class guy off the court all the time and I wont bash him for simply swearing. Just in his moment of glory he curse up a storm. Maybe he was lost in the moment. He sure looked like it. And it was a bad part on ESPN to try to get an interview like that. They should have cut away to something else until KG was more calm and ready to actually make sense instead they chose to show him forabout 30seconds mumbling to himself and not saying much but swear words.

I hate those interviews. From a guy who works in tv all the time. For one...swearing and tv go hand and hand. ALL THE TIME. Every single announcer, host, reporter swears constantly. More than KG ever could have. I have been behind the scenes on many a tv show and thats is all you hear.

Anyway those half time after the game on the spot interviews are stupid ass hell and I wish they would stop. Most of the players dont want to do them. And the usually ask really stupid questions that can only be answered one way. "Uhh I just think we need to play better in the second half...." They say it in every single interview.

[quote name='ph33r m3']It's how black people act...got it.[/quote]

Well obviously not all black people. God damn I hate when people do that.

Anyway. Like I said. You can find many clips of Lebron screaming in the same way that he was on that cover in a game. So I see no problem with it at all. And it make a problem about it would be just kinda stupid.

Until Steve Nash starts staring down people than I see no problem.

That would also make me assume that every black athlete on a cover is screaming. I dont ever remember Tiger doing that. I think its just a moot point. And one of the cases where I feel PC and people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson has screwed white people into thinking that everything they do can somehow be related to racism.

You ask a guy do pose, he agrees then poses, you release the photo and somehow your racist from it? I dont get it. Once again you watch an NBA game you will see people dunk and screaming at each other all the time. Here is a clip of Amare

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=cHYckm1bn5g&feature=related[/MEDIA]

Dunks then screams at malone. I simply do no see how taking a pic of that and putting it on a cover is somehow racism. Have you people ever heard of And 1? Is not 90% of that filled with that exact same thing?

Simply dont get it. And wont waste people times bringing it up when there are other way more important acts of racism going on all the time.

But i will admit right now. Maybe I am not looking far enough into it. But as a black guy...and a athlete far into my college years I never felt it was a problem.

Because if you didnt want to be on the cover in that pose all you had to do was say no. Obviously most blacks say yes. No one is forcing them to be on the cover like that. There are many black athletes that are not photographed in that manner and there are many whites who are.

Simply dont see a problem.

The whole thing with the LeBron cover: As I remember the situation (it happened a little while ago), it wasn't a matter of racism by its most common definition but rather a discussion about race in American society. The cover displays something about America from a racial standpoint, but I won't go into that any further. I don't think it's appropriate for this thread.

Also, link to Michael Wilbon article, PTI, or whatever. I cant find it anywhere.

But also note...that just because Wilbon thinks something is racist doesnt mean I have to just because he is on tv.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Also, link to Michael Wilbon article, PTI, or whatever. I cant find it anywhere.

But also note...that just because Wilbon thinks something is racist doesnt mean I have to just because he is on tv.[/quote]

Maybe check YouTube, if anyone saw it, it was the Costas Now episode discussing race in sports.

Not calling the cover racist, it's just how black people are portrayed in the media. Too much to cover, could write essay's about this topic.

Al Harrington + #14 pick for Elton Brand. Get er' Done Mullin.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Still wouldnt matter. Its a style that black people outwardly display all the time. You see it after KG dunks on a guy...after Lebron 360's jams on a guy...even after Mutumbo blocks a guy.

Its very very hypocritical to say that having a black guy on a cover screaming is somehow bad when we do it all the god damn time in every single game. And lets not forget that these athletes approve the cover before it comes out. So its no surprise.[/quote]

Not all black people are aggressive. I'm not, Tim Duncan isn't, Marvin Harrison isn't, Barry Sanders wasn't.

Also, you see more demonstrative white athletes. Jeremy Shockey, Chuck Lidell, Andre Agassi.

However I would agree that the majority of each group tend to be portrayed as you say in the media.

That LeBron cover was a non-issue as far as I am concerned. Way too much was trying to be interpreted from it.

I also agree with you about interviewers needing to give people some time to calm down. I noticed they didn't even go to KG after talking to Doc, Pierce and Allen on the podium.

[quote name='dafoomie']Best press conference ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UUBC8NoQgA&fmt=18[/quote]

I was laughin' so hard, I was hoping somebody would ask "Yo Scal, since you were such a big help this series, and get paid 3 million a year, what was your best moment of the series? When you dragged Pierce off the court or got Gatoradae for KG?"

What a tool.

[quote name='ph33r m3']I was laughin' so hard, I was hoping somebody would ask "Yo Scal, since you were such a big help this series, and get paid 3 million a year, what was your best moment of the series? When you dragged Pierce off the court or got Gatoradae for KG?"

What a tool.[/QUOTE]
The press was in on the joke, they were all clowning around. That he's the least significant player on the team is why it can be funny.

bread's done
Back