The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

[quote name='elessar123']I don't have a problem paying $40 for a handheld game. I do, however, have a massive problem paying $30 for 3 tracks/5 cars, and $30 for 13 Katamari levels.

Me and My Katamari was short, and it had 20 levels. Katamari Forever had 34.[/QUOTE]

I've never played a Katamari game but I agree about Ridge Racer but supposedly there will be free DLC.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']3 tracks/5 cars? Is that Wipeout or Modnation Racers?[/QUOTE]
Ridge Racer. They've basically said nothing about this version and whether they've added anything to it or if it's the same as the Japanese version, so the silence probably means the latter.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Ridge Racer. They've basically said nothing about this version and whether they've added anything to it or if it's the same as the Japanese version, so the silence probably means the latter.[/QUOTE]

Except there are news stories out that free DLC for RR will be available for early adopters adding 3 more tracks, 5 more cars, and additional music.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Except there are news stories out that free DLC for RR will be available for early adopters adding 3 more tracks, 5 more cars, and additional music.[/QUOTE]
I guess it's a little better, but it still pales in comparison to the PSP Ridge Racer's 24 courses (12 normal, 12 reversed) and 54 cars. Asking for $30 for three tracks and five cars, plus a few more of each if you buy it before April, is a big step backwards for the series.

[quote name='mykevermin']The one title worth a fuck at launch is $50, so it's quite clear that they're testing the waters for an across the board $10 premium.

$40 for the *quality* of launch titles available is pretty bloody laughable. It's not what the games are, it's not how much the games are, it's *both*.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma? A remake of a 2006 remake of a 2004 Xbox1 game? You *really* want to release that? Fine. But for $40? Christ.

So, yeah, they're $40 for some spectacularly underwhelming titles, $50 for the most original of the bunch. So I don't find that appealing.

You know who else didn't find it appealing? PSP consumers. One of the biggest mistakes of the PSP (which led to a third party exodus over time) was when it occurred to publishers that consumers weren't buying console games at console prices for a portable system. That is, with few exceptions (Mortal Kombat Unchained and a few others, I believe), PSP releases of games available for PS2/Xbox did not sell well.

Now they're trying it again.

Tell me about that $239 deal. PM if necessary. I may jump on it if it's really good.[/QUOTE]

What site are we on?

When did MSRP ever matter?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Ridge Racer. They've basically said nothing about this version and whether they've added anything to it or if it's the same as the Japanese version, so the silence probably means the latter.[/QUOTE]
Do they put out an underwhelming Ridge Racer release at like every system's launch? I seem to remember there being another Ridge Racer near the release of something.

[quote name='JG5253']You're mistaking your opinions as facts. I'm pretty sure don't think Uncharted is the title worth getting.[/QUOTE]

No, I'm stating my opinion as an opinion. If you'll gladly hand over $40 for a port of a remake that can be had for $24, I'm not stopping you. I'll call you a fool, but by no means do I see that as fact.

But, as far as people misplacing opinions as facts, I found some dude posting something earlier:

[quote name='JG5253']Most games are $40 which is normal for handheld games and some are $30.[/QUOTE]

Note, this guy says "handheld games" and not "PSP games." This claim is demonstrably false, as while there are some PSP titles that release at $40, the *vast* majority are $30, others still $20. $40 is the new normal in small part due to the 3DS, but that system is 9 months or so old.

Find me recently released PSP titles that are still $40 that aren't "Limited Edition" (since that necessarily implies a cost premium). I'll wait right here for you.

Now, as far as memory cards being overpriced are concerned, I hope you're not thick-skulled enough to deny that.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']What site are we on?

When did MSRP ever matter?[/QUOTE]

Since this is a launch system with games that will likely be sold for MSRP.

You're getting one...right?

[quote name='mykevermin']
Find me recently released PSP titles that are still $40 that aren't "Limited Edition" (since that necessarily implies a cost premium). I'll wait right here for you..[/QUOTE]

Hold the phone. There are still PSP Games being released? Isn't it like 1, maybe 2 games a month? When was the last "big" PSP game in America?

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Do they put out an underwhelming Ridge Racer release at like every system's launch? I seem to remember there being another Ridge Racer near the release of something.[/QUOTE]
Underwhelming? Not necessarily since the PSP game was good. They've put out Ridge Racers at the launch of the PS1, PS2, DS, PSP, Xbox 360, PS3, 3DS, and Vita.

[quote name='mykevermin']No, I'm stating my opinion as an opinion. If you'll gladly hand over $40 for a port of a remake that can be had for $24, I'm not stopping you. I'll call you a fool, but by no means do I see that as fact.

But, as far as people misplacing opinions as facts, I found some dude posting something earlier:

Note, this guy says "handheld games" and not "PSP games." This claim is demonstrably false, as while there are some PSP titles that release at $40, the *vast* majority are $30, others still $20. $40 is the new normal in small part due to the 3DS, but that system is 9 months or so old.

Find me recently released PSP titles that are still $40 that aren't "Limited Edition" (since that necessarily implies a cost premium). I'll wait right here for you.

Now, as far as memory cards being overpriced are concerned, I hope you're not thick-skulled enough to deny that.[/QUOTE]

Um, the PSP came out 6 years ago, why are you trying to use it as a reference? That's some pretty lame logic, seriously.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Since this is a launch system with games that will likely be sold for MSRP.

You're getting one...right?[/QUOTE]

Yes, and one Vita game that I got for $25. I'll wait for price drops/sales on the rest like I do for every other video game I buy nowadays.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Um, the PSP came out 6 years ago, why are you trying to use it as a reference? That's some pretty lame logic, seriously.[/QUOTE]

I like how he wants to use the PSP as a reference and completely dismisses the 3DS comparison even though that is the best comparison for handheld prices.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Yes, and one Vita game that I got for $25. I'll wait for price drops/sales on the rest like I do for every other video game I buy nowadays.

I like how he wants to use the PSP as a reference and completely dismisses the 3DS comparison even though that is the best comparison for handheld prices.[/QUOTE]

You mean how the 3DS bombed at $250 and had to drop to $170 4 months later? All while the vanilla Vita is $250 and requires at least a $30 memory card purchase?

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Yes, and one Vita game that I got for $25. I'll wait for price drops/sales on the rest like I do for every other video game I buy nowadays.[/QUOTE]

So you're going to shell out at least $250 on a new system, but then stop at 1 $25 game? Isn't launch the one time you don't really worry about MSRP and get a few titles to play on your new system?

[quote name='omyard']So you're going to shell out at least $250 on a new system, but then stop at 1 $25 game? Isn't launch the one time you don't really worry about MSRP and get a few titles to play on your new system?[/QUOTE]
You don't ever not worry about MSRP.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Is it bad that I'm almost willing to shell out $300 to get trophies on the shitter?[/QUOTE]

Lol, now I'm tempted to buy a Vita at launch again.

[quote name='mykevermin']No, I'm stating my opinion as an opinion. If you'll gladly hand over $40 for a port of a remake that can be had for $24, I'm not stopping you. I'll call you a fool, but by no means do I see that as fact.

Now, as far as memory cards being overpriced are concerned, I hope you're not thick-skulled enough to deny that.[/QUOTE]

When did I say I was going to buy Ninja Gaiden?

Why does it matter if the 3DS is 9 months old. If you want play some cheaper games you could play minis too.

As for PSP games that retail at $40 here is some

http://www.gamestop.com/psp/games/harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince/71333
http://www.gamestop.com/psp/games/madden-nfl-12/90700
http://www.gamestop.com/psp/games/naruto-shippuden-ultimate-ninja-impact/92566
http://www.gamestop.com/psp/games/shin-megami-tensei-persona-2-innocent-sin/91185

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JG5253']When did I say I was going to buy Ninja Gaiden?

Why does it matter if the 3DS is 9 months old. If you want play some cheaper games you could play minis too.

http://www.gamestop.com/psp/games/shin-megami-tensei-persona-2-innocent-sin/91185[/QUOTE]

I understand your point, but who on CAG buys games new at Gamestop at full retail price, unless they have trade-in credit? If you shop even just the Sunday ads, you can routinely buy just about any release for $10-20 less at other B&M retailers, leaving aside Amazon and Newegg. Persona 2 went for $19.99 for well over a week-and-a-half back in late December/early January, and it will be that price again if P3P is any guide.

[quote name='omyard']So you're going to shell out at least $250 on a new system, but then stop at 1 $25 game? Isn't launch the one time you don't really worry about MSRP and get a few titles to play on your new system?[/QUOTE]

Yep and nope.

Trying to get the Wipeout 2048 platinum will take a long time. With that, my PS3, and my PSP backlog, I can wait on price drops.

Stardust will be one of the games that may make me purchase a Vita even if remote and cross play dont work out well. What a great game. $10 makes it a no brainer for anyone who does buy a Vita.

[quote name='wrencrest']Stardust will be one of the games that may make me purchase a Vita even if remote and cross play dont work out well. What a great game. $10 makes it a no brainer for anyone who does buy a Vita.[/QUOTE]
yeah, i have it bought and downloaded already

[quote name='JG5253']When did I say I was going to buy Ninja Gaiden?

http://www.gamestop.com/psp/games/shin-megami-tensei-persona-2-innocent-sin/91185[/QUOTE]

Unlike the 3DS with DS, you can't go out and buy cheaper PSP games. Since the Vita won't use UMDs, you are stuck to buying either Vita games at launch, or over priced digital PSP ones (from a select library)

[quote name='GizmoGC']Unlike the 3DS with DS, you can't go out and buy cheaper PSP games. Since the Vita won't use UMDs, you are stuck to buying either Vita games at launch, or over priced digital PSP ones (from a select library)[/QUOTE]

Too bad DS games look like crap on the 3DS. They're either fuzzy and washed out at fullscreen, or they run in a tiny postage-stamp sized screen. Nintendo's bizarre design for the top 3DS screen, including rectangular pixels, ruins the DS emulation. Certainly nothing to brag about!

[quote name='dallow']Thanks, here's some shortcuts.

Uncharted - 8.5
Wipeout 2048 - 7.0
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 - 8.0
Super Stardust Delta - 9.5
Reality Fighers - 4.5
Modnation Racers: Road Trip - 7.0
Little Deviants - 6.0
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational - pending online mode review
FIFA Soccer - 8.0[/QUOTE]

Was hoping to see escape plan review.

[quote name='dallow']Very nicely done buyers guide:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/13/2794368/playstation-vita-buyers-guide[/QUOTE]

How could they not mention Resistance as one of the anticipated upcoming games?

[quote name='chimpmeister']Too bad DS games look like crap on the 3DS. They're either fuzzy and washed out at fullscreen, or they run in a tiny postage-stamp sized screen. Nintendo's bizarre design for the top 3DS screen, including rectangular pixels, ruins the DS emulation. Certainly nothing to brag about![/QUOTE]

The 3DS has rectangular pixels? That's weird.

I hate the "3D", wish it has 5" screens and a second stick, but I do like lots of the games so far (I guess, I haven't played mine yet).

I'm toying with the idea of getting rid of my Nintendo handhelds though since they don't work with the battery pulled.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'm toying with the idea of getting rid of my Nintendo handhelds though since they don't work with the battery pulled.[/QUOTE]

I shouldn't ask since it has absolutely nothing to do with the Vita but what difference does working with the battery pulled make? Either way you would have to have it plugged in so I don't get at all what your issue is with that.

Man- Golden Abyss is taking a bit of a beating in these first few reviews. Strange how everyone was gushing about it for the past few months and after they got their hands on the full game seem a bit jaded.

[quote name='nbballard']Man- Golden Abyss is taking a bit of a beating in these first few reviews. Strange how everyone was gushing about it for the past few months and after they got their hands on the full game seem a bit jaded.[/QUOTE]

Really? I've seen mostly good reviews and they only complain about the touch screen only gameplay

[quote name='chriscolbert']I shouldn't ask since it has absolutely nothing to do with the Vita but what difference does working with the battery pulled make? Either way you would have to have it plugged in so I don't get at all what your issue is with that.[/QUOTE]

I'm concerned about investing in a ton of games that I may not have access to down the line once the battery goes. Not a problem for older portables, or for the PSP, but all the recent Nintendo handhelds don't work with the battery pulled.

Since no one seems to know for sure, I'm actually considering pulling apart my first Vita to test this, and then not bothering if it doesn't work without a battery.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'm concerned about investing in a ton of games that I may not have access to down the line once the battery goes. Not a problem for older portables, or for the PSP, but all the recent Nintendo handhelds don't work with the battery pulled.

Since no one seems to know for sure, I'm actually considering pulling apart my first Vita to test this, and then not bothering if it doesn't work without a battery.[/QUOTE]

Why does it matter? Just plug the charging cable in to play if the battery won't hold it's charge no more, it will still turn on.

[quote name='JG5253']Really? I've seen mostly good reviews and they only complain about the touch screen only gameplay[/QUOTE]
Kotaku's review was pretty negative, and a few others all complain about how it feels smaller and overall like a lesser experience than the franchise usually offers- smaller levels, not a lot of variety, bad writing, boring characters, etc.

Still playing it. Don't care.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'm concerned about investing in a ton of games that I may not have access to down the line once the battery goes. Not a problem for older portables, or for the PSP, but all the recent Nintendo handhelds don't work with the battery pulled.

Since no one seems to know for sure, I'm actually considering pulling apart my first Vita to test this, and then not bothering if it doesn't work without a battery.[/QUOTE]

One thing to keep in mind, if the Vita has an external AC adapter (like the PSP has, and which the 3DS does not have) then it is most likely that it will work with the battery pulled. The AC adapter supplies the current need to operate regardless of battery, if the battery is there it gets charged while the AC adapter is plugged in. This is an assumption, I don't know for sure but just thought I'd throw it out there.

BTW the Vita cradle would also act like an AC adapter, same deal, but of course once pulled from the cradle the system would not operate if no battery was installed.

[quote name='nbballard']Kotaku's review was pretty negative, and a few others all complain about how it feels smaller and overall like a lesser experience than the franchise usually offers- smaller levels, not a lot of variety, bad writing, boring characters, etc.

Still playing it. Don't care.[/QUOTE]

So far its a 78 on metacritc but you like said I don't care I'm still playing it.

I wasn't very exited about picking up my paid for Vita from Gamestop next week, but. Looks like F1 2011 is not a direct port of the 3ds version, am going to go on a limb and pick it up on day one and hope it is close to as good as the PS3 version I own. Hopefully I find some enjoyment until F1 2012 comes out. Fifa also looks pretty sweet.

[quote name='mykevermin']3G Launch Bundle + Uncharted for $307.

I bit.

Would have been $282, but I live in one of 4 states where sales tax applies.

Meh.[/QUOTE]
Gah! That sucks, I was crossing my fingers, ha.

Welp... welcome to the club.

[quote name='nbballard']Man- Golden Abyss is taking a bit of a beating in these first few reviews. Strange how everyone was gushing about it for the past few months and after they got their hands on the full game seem a bit jaded.[/QUOTE]

I had very "mediocre" feelings about my first play through of the game personally until mid way through. Then the game just clicked with me and I freaking loved it. Definitely a great Uncharted game. It has a strange ebb and flow in the first 20 chapters. The characters aren't as strong as the PS3 games until they grow on you.

I'm in my second play through right now and I'm just totally loving it. Being able to play a game of this quality on a handheld is just amazing. Plus there is so much to collect and find I'll be playing this until I platinum it and then maybe even afterwards.

I hope Bend Studio gets the reins for a portable version follow up and can't wait to see what they come up with next.

[quote name='Snap']I had very "mediocre" feelings about my first play through of the game personally until mid way through. Then the game just clicked with me and I freaking loved it. Definitely a great Uncharted game. It has a strange ebb and flow in the first 20 chapters. The characters aren't as strong as the PS3 games until they grow on you.

I'm in my second play through right now and I'm just totally loving it. Being able to play a game of this quality on a handheld is just amazing. Plus there is so much to collect and find I'll be playing this until I platinum it and then maybe even afterwards.

I hope Bend Studio gets the reins for a portable version follow up and can't wait to see what they come up with next.[/QUOTE]

That is good to hear. I plan on playing the shit out of it and get Platinum on it.

I really love the Uncharted series and its my favorite of this generation but I really hope Bend Studio doesn't do another Uncharted. I want them to do something different like a Borderlands type game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blueweltall']Why does it matter? Just plug the charging cable in to play if the battery won't hold it's charge no more, it will still turn on.[/QUOTE]

Well, presumably even with a dead battery in there it wouldn't work. It seems to need the battery even when it's plugged in, unlike the PSP :(

[quote name='mykevermin']3G Launch Bundle + Uncharted for $307.

I bit.

Would have been $282, but I live in one of 4 states where sales tax applies.

Meh.[/QUOTE]

Where did you find that?!? That sounds like a pretty good deal.

bread's done
Back