The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']He's a gigantic attention whore who only writes articles to antagonize his readers to get the maximum page hits possible.

Some examples of his work here.[/QUOTE]

I never knew anything about Sterling's history but people probably shouldn't completely discount what he is saying about Modnation Racers. His review definitely isn't the only review that makes it sound like it is a pretty average launch game.

Looks like my FEB is ready for pickup tomorrow. Got it for $299 after the pricing fiasco with BBY last week. Between that and Hot Shots Golf, I should be good for a while.

Are there any physical retailers that will sell the barrier chief screen protectors? Id much rather get one of those or the matte Hori protector over the Sony ones

[quote name='chimpmeister']Too bad DS games look like crap on the 3DS. They're either fuzzy and washed out at fullscreen, or they run in a tiny postage-stamp sized screen. Nintendo's bizarre design for the top 3DS screen, including rectangular pixels, ruins the DS emulation. Certainly nothing to brag about![/QUOTE]

Is this true? I ask I was thinking about getting a DSi but then thought might as well get a 3DS for a little more.

[quote name='JG5253']Is this true? I ask I was thinking about getting a DSi but then thought might as well get a 3DS for a little more.[/QUOTE]Before you get an irrational trashy reply:

Depends on how much you care about that stuff.

They will look a little fuzzy due to the upscaling but most people can live with that. (i can't, i use an XL to play DS games)

This is solved though by holding select or start when booting a DS game which will make the game play at native resolution. Only issue is the screen size is about the size of a GB Micro.

EDIT: Oh, and at launch the color's were a bit off and washed out. That was fixed with a FW update though.

[quote name='JG5253']Is this true? I ask I was thinking about getting a DSi but then thought might as well get a 3DS for a little more.[/QUOTE]

I think there were some early issues with how they did the graphics for the DS games on the DSi, but I think they improved things with later updates.

That said, the 3DS screens are of a different resolution so there may be some black borders or image artifacts due to the differences, but personally I don't think it's that big of a deal. I switched between my DSi XL and 3DS a lot when playing Radiant Historia and can't remember any noticeable differences. Of course I was focused on playing the game rather than looking for reasons to hate on the 3DS, but maybe that's just me.

Alright thanks guys. I think I'm just going to get a DSi first since there $50 used on cowboom. Then I will probably get a 3DS later on. Has anybody heard any bad things about PSP emulation? I plan on buying some PSP games from PSN that I missed out on

[quote name='DarkonJohn']I think there were some early issues with how they did the graphics for the DS games on the DSi, but I think they improved things with later updates.

That said, the 3DS screens are of a different resolution so there may be some black borders or image artifacts due to the differences, but personally I don't think it's that big of a deal. I switched between my DSi XL and 3DS a lot when playing Radiant Historia and can't remember any noticeable differences. Of course I was focused on playing the game rather than looking for reasons to hate on the 3DS, but maybe that's just me.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. I've heard people complain, but I don't really see why. I've played a few DS games on my 3DS and didn't really notice any issues.

[quote name='whoknows']Pretty much. I've heard people complain, but I don't really see why. I've played a few DS games on my 3DS and didn't really notice any issues.[/QUOTE]

Some people notice certain things better. I can't stand scanlines and flickering, but have no problems with screen tear, for example.

[quote name='bg88']I never knew anything about Sterling's history but people probably shouldn't completely discount what he is saying about Modnation Racers. His review definitely isn't the only review that makes it sound like it is a pretty average launch game.[/QUOTE]
I'm not talking about the review, but noting the reviewer because he has a history of going way overboard with his work because he knows that it'll bring him a lot more attention and hits than it would otherwise. Believe me when I say that it's been proven over and over and over again, so the less attention paid to his work is better for everybody. I'm sure there are plenty of better reviews that get the job done.

I've played through plenty of DS games on my 3DS and have seen no issues, so it's perfectly fine unless you're anal about the most minute details that most people won't notice.

[quote name='JG5253']Alright thanks guys. I think I'm just going to get a DSi first since there $50 used on cowboom. Then I will probably get a 3DS later on. Has anybody heard any bad things about PSP emulation? I plan on buying some PSP games from PSN that I missed out on[/QUOTE]
The nice thing about PSP games on PSN vs DS on 3DS is that the screen has exactly 4x the pixel count so there won't be odd resolution issues.

By all accounts, the greatly improved screen clarity and controls make playing PSP games on Vita the best way.

This gif really illustrates how much better the screen is for motion.
Absolutely no ghosting of the image.

oled16j74.gif

BTW, good choice on DSi for playing DS games.
They look a lot sharper on that screen.

[quote name='dallow']The nice thing about PSP games on PSN vs DS on 3DS is that the screen has exactly 4x the pixel count so there won't be odd resolution issues.

By all accounts, the greatly improved screen clarity and controls make playing PSP games on Vita the best way.

They look a lot sharper on that screen.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know it was exactly 4x the pixel. I also been hearing that PSP games look better on the Vita. The gif really does show the big improvement on the Vita. Thanks guys you've been a lot of help and I'm just excited for the end of this month. My girlfriend is going to buy me the Vita and DSi for my birthday which is today. :D

[quote name='dallow']The nice thing about PSP games on PSN vs DS on 3DS is that the screen has exactly 4x the pixel count so there won't be odd resolution issues.

They look a lot sharper on that screen.[/QUOTE]

The Vita's (and OLED's) response time is so quick it isn't even worth mentioning the spec.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED#Advantages

If you're into Giant Bomb quick looks, they'll have archived parts of the big stream they had yesterday tonight for premium members with individual quick looks of each game for everybody.

The thing I'd worry about more with games on Vita, and 3DS for that matter, is input lag. For these games to be displaying at increased resolution some sort of upscaling has to be taking place. That Upscaling can add additional frames of lag.

There's no upscaling with Vita, the image is simply doubled in pixel count.

They're both emulating but have never heard about lag issues for either.

[quote name='dallow']There's no upscaling with Vita, the image is simply doubled in pixel count.

They're both emulating but have never heard about lag issues for either.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I've somehow misunderstood the meaning of "upscale" but if the pixels have to be doubled then by definition wouldn't that be upscaling?

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Perhaps I've somehow misunderstood the meaning of "upscale" but if the pixels have to be doubled then by definition wouldn't that be upscaling?[/QUOTE]

Technically, but it's like the simplest upscaling possible. Each pixel just needs to be drawn four times, without any fancy algorithm to figure out what it should be.

[quote name='bg88']I never knew anything about Sterling's history but people probably shouldn't completely discount what he is saying about Modnation Racers. His review definitely isn't the only review that makes it sound like it is a pretty average launch game.[/QUOTE]
Read a little more of Sterling's "work." You'll understand.

[quote name='pete5883']Read a little more of Sterling's "work." You'll understand.[/QUOTE]

He just uses the whole review scale. I'd rather see some 1-5s than IGN's everything is an 8.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']The thing I'd worry about more with games on Vita, and 3DS for that matter, is input lag. For these games to be displaying at increased resolution some sort of upscaling has to be taking place. That Upscaling can add additional frames of lag.[/QUOTE]

Gee, if only Sony had you on the development board. I'm sure they didn't even consider this thought. :roll:

And uh, looks like they messed up and the "trial" of Michael Jackson: The Experience for Vita is actually the full game. People are earning trophies in it.
Downloading!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']If you're into Giant Bomb quick looks, they'll have archived parts of the big stream they had yesterday tonight for premium members with individual quick looks of each game for everybody.[/QUOTE]

Buncha dicks, they even cut off UMVC3 way too soon. I almost got a glimpse of Spidey in the Iron Spidey suit. Overall they annoyed me and I stopped watching not long after. Also heard they were quit negative of the Vita and games.

Caved and got first edition bundle at gamestop tonight. i was getting off work at midnight anyway and gamestop is walking distance from where i work. they had 9 preorders and got 10 first editions in. figure i can always flip little deviants if i want.

[quote name='TheRock88']How do you download the MJ game from the PSN store on PS3. I dont see a Vita section on there.[/QUOTE]
Have to search for "Michael"
[quote name='el swordo']Caved and got first edition bundle at gamestop tonight. i was getting off work at midnight anyway and gamestop is walking distance from where i work. they had 9 preorders and got 10 first editions in. figure i can always flip little deviants if i want.[/QUOTE]
How many people were there?

[quote name='dallow']Have to search for "Michael"

How many people were there?[/QUOTE]

4 people picking them up at midnight including me. 1 of them a coworker of mine

[quote name='el swordo']wasn't it supposed to come with a code for a free month of 3g? i can't find out how to get it[/QUOTE]

I believe that that was only with the 3G model, not the FEB.

[quote name='YodaEXE']I believe that that was only with the 3G model, not the FEB.[/QUOTE]

No I believe the the FEB got upgraded too expect you still got the 4GB memory card. Also I don't think you get a code for a free month. I think you have to pay for the first month then you get the Super Star Dust Delta for free and then you get the next month for free.

Feb 15, 2012 12:18 PM
Delivered

Oh yeah![quote name='chicagocubsfan']is anyone going to get unit 13?[/QUOTE]
Surprisingly, all the hands on impressions from the media that I've seen have been very positive about the score attack nature of it. (like The Club)

I may do so.

Wait, so this thing is out TODAY? I thought it was coming 2/22??? Crap. I may need to go to GS this week and pick one up... also, what store is that 2 for 1 deal at? I only really want HSG but I'll take a freebie for buying another game.

[quote name='Javery']Wait, so this thing is out TODAY? I thought it was coming 2/22??? Crap. I may need to go to GS this week and pick one up... also, what store is that 2 for 1 deal at? I only really want HSG but I'll take a freebie for buying another game.[/QUOTE]Today is the "soft launch" for the First Edition Bundle which may or may not be appealing to you.

Next week is the full launch.
And Target will be doing the B2G1 on all Vita games the week of 2/19 to 2/25.

[quote name='dallow']Today is the "soft launch" for the First Edition Bundle which may or may not be appealing to you.

Next week is the full launch.
And Target will be doing the B2G1 on all Vita games the week of 2/19 to 2/25.[/QUOTE]

OK - looks like the bundle is 3G version only - PASS. I'll wait the week and save the $50 or whatever plus monthly fees. I've never ever wished I had that ability on my iPad so I doubt I'll miss 3G on the Vita either.

you can buy a pass for 1 month with no commitment and an allotment of data. besides if you get an 8gb card it's only $20 more for the 3g version. on a side note i bought stardust but it won't install anyone else have this problem?

[quote name='mykevermin']Was this order from the same place I ordered from?[/QUOTE]
No actually, I had credit to use on Amazon and ordered there.
From that particular site I've order a game an accessory but no word yet.

bread's done
Back