The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

[quote name='nbballard']
I enjoyed it for what it is- a direct to handheld release. I kept thinking to myself the whole time that if it had come to the PS3 a few years ago as a direct sequel to uncharted 2, I would have thought it was the best thing ever. It does everything U1 did better (minus the characters), but misses out of the huge action that U2 & U3 do.

I'd definitely play a sequel, and I like the fact that it's set so far before the other games.

Aside from the supporting cast not being developed/likeable my only big complaint was this - I wish it had come out later in the Vita's life so they wouldn't have forced all those tilt sensor / motion fights on us. They weren't awful- but as someone who didn't want to use them (as originally advertised) it pulled me out of the game.[/QUOTE]

I actually just finished this yesterday and felt it was a much better game than Uncharted 3. Uncharted 3 wasn't terrible, but story wise it is the weakest of all of the Uncharted games and just too unbelievable to fully enjoy. Naughty Dog tried pushing Drake through too many areas and too many impossible events. Something just didn't flow right with that game.

Golden Abyss is a big improvement over U3 and the other Uncharted games in many ways. The story is actually really good and I enjoyed the new characters (especially Chase). The dialog between the characters is hilarious and kept me engaged, something U3 did not do well. Shooting wise, it is a weaker game than U2 and U3, but better than UC1. The thing it does best though is that it puts such a huge emphasis on exploration and interaction. I actually felt like I was part of the world, and not just watching it.

I am really hoping Bend is going to work on a 2nd game, as it will definitely be a day one purchase for me :)

Glad to hear some liked it more. Bend is REALLY good from their PSP work, like they just made high end games, not high end portable games, so if this suffers a little I'd guess it's only because it was either rushed, or just what happens the first time out.

The lack of supernatural elements made me dig golden abyss more than I normally would have. It doesnt touch the first half of uncharted 2 but it was solid, particularly the last ten chapters. The next one should be better if they focus on making a game and not a tech demo.

I echo the sentiment of whoever said it a while back... the only problem I have with Uncharted is that it's out now. It's very reminiscent of the inital DS line-up, where they kept shoehorning in the new tech whether it made sense or not. If they added the option to use normal controls for everything, I'd think it was great.

Plus, as already stated, you have to go into it realizing it's not a console game. Once you get past that, it's pretty great.

[quote name='iamthekiller']It's plastic. Super scratchy, not glass... plastic.[/QUOTE]

Yes... I'm well aware that it's not glass. It doesn't seem all that "super scratchy" though. I've been giving the thing a fairly vigorous daily workout, and other than smudging, I haven't noticed even the slightest scratch.

[quote name='nbballard']^Do the PSPs deactivate remotely through the PS3 or push out of activation as new ones are given access?[/QUOTE]
No, you can't activate a new handheld if you've already reached the limit.

At the SEN site, you can remotely deactivate all systems though, in case you don't have access to that particular system anymore.
You can only do this once every 6 months or so I believe.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']I actually just finished this yesterday and felt it was a much better game than Uncharted 3. Uncharted 3 wasn't terrible, but story wise it is the weakest of all of the Uncharted games and just too unbelievable to fully enjoy. Naughty Dog tried pushing Drake through too many areas and too many impossible events. Something just didn't flow right with that game.

Golden Abyss is a big improvement over U3 and the other Uncharted games in many ways. The story is actually really good and I enjoyed the new characters (especially Chase). The dialog between the characters is hilarious and kept me engaged, something U3 did not do well. Shooting wise, it is a weaker game than U2 and U3, but better than UC1. The thing it does best though is that it puts such a huge emphasis on exploration and interaction. I actually felt like I was part of the world, and not just watching it.

I am really hoping Bend is going to work on a 2nd game, as it will definitely be a day one purchase for me :)[/QUOTE]
Some thoughts that spoil U2, and a few comments that might upset people who haven't played U:GA- but not what I'd call a spoiler -
I just didn't like the Dante character or how he was handled mainly. I mean, with Flynn, you liked him and then he turned on you and it was kind of upsetting. By the end of U2, you hated him. It was a bit of a journey.

They could have done the same thing with Dante- but instead the game STARTS with them exposing him as a bad guy, and flashes back to where you have to hang out with him for the first quarter of the game.

Chase was a good character- but I think she could have been much more likeable if they had fleshed out the relationship with her Grandfather a bit more on screen. It was hard to care about him being missing because I'd never met him.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']The lack of supernatural elements made me dig golden abyss more than I normally would have. It doesnt touch the first half of uncharted 2 but it was solid, particularly the last ten chapters. The next one should be better if they focus on making a game and not a tech demo.[/QUOTE]

I'm not far in, but I like GA so far. Even though it isn't naughty dog, it feels like I could be. I also agree with you on uncharted 2. Best in the series and the train sequence may be the best I've ever played in a game.

[quote name='Anexanhume']I'm not far in, but I like GA so far. Even though it isn't naughty dog, it feels like I could be. I also agree with you on uncharted 2. Best in the series and the train sequence may be the best I've ever played in a game.[/QUOTE]

Hear, hear! That train sequence actually had me on the edge of my seat saying, "no, no, no...ahhhh! Whew!" when it was done! :lol:

[quote name='el swordo']wait gamesaves are stored on the game card? does that mean if you rent from gamefly and beat it then buy a copy you won't have your save?[/QUOTE]
Couldn't you back it up on your PC?

So a question about Near.

Does it work while the power is off? The reason I ask because it picked up a location that is quite a way from me and I haven't taken my Vita anywhere.

[quote name='jello44']So a question about Near.

Does it work while the power is off? The reason I ask because it picked up a location that is quite a way from me and I haven't taken my Vita anywhere.[/QUOTE]
Seems it will periodically grab location while asleep, but I don't think it does while completely off.

[quote name='jello44']So a question about Near.

Does it work while the power is off? The reason I ask because it picked up a location that is quite a way from me and I haven't taken my Vita anywhere.[/QUOTE]

off, no.

but there is setting for it to check every hour whether its running or jot.

Near is a lot more interesting than I expected - I've been trading uncharted stuff with someone down the street and someone else in my neighborhood keeps challenging me to katamari speed runs. Kinda fun.

Bought one on Amazon and have it arriving on the 29th with Uncharted, Hot Shots Golf and Rayman.

Do I really need a screen protector? I ask because I've always sucked at putting them on, and air bubbles drive me mad. I heard Hori made an easy to apply one. That true?

[quote name='Kidd.o']Bought one on Amazon and have it arriving on the 29th with Uncharted, Hot Shots Golf and Rayman.

Do I really need a screen protector? I ask because I've always sucked at putting them on, and air bubbles drive me mad. I heard Hori made an easy to apply one. That true?[/QUOTE]

I would advise you to get one, the Vita screen is plastic, not glass like the Kindle Fire. The Hori screen protector is supposed to be good, but will be harder to install because it covers the whole face of the Vita. The Sony 2-pack is very good, probably easier to install and you get an extra one which is nice. I put mine on and got 3 tiny dust motes under it, annoying but hardly noticeable when playing games.

I would avoid the screen protectors that require a liquid to spray on the item to have it stick; horrible to install.

[quote name='chimpmeister']I would advise you to get one, the Vita screen is plastic, not glass like the Kindle Fire. The Hori screen protector is supposed to be good, but will be harder to install because it covers the whole face of the Vita. The Sony 2-pack is very good, probably easier to install and you get an extra one which is nice. I put mine on and got 3 tiny dust motes under it, annoying but hardly noticeable when playing games.

I would avoid the screen protectors that require a liquid to spray on the item to have it stick; horrible to install.[/QUOTE]

I didn't use the Sony one, but the Hori protector was the easiest screen protector I've ever installed.

I think I bought Hori ones for a DS or something because people kept going on about how great they were. At least with whatever I bought, it seemed no better than the PDP or whatever ones.

I'm glad Sony sells ones, but I wish they'd have just made the screen glass like Apple does.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'm glad Sony sells ones, but I wish they'd have just made the screen glass like Apple does.[/QUOTE]
People would just bitch about the weight then.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I think I bought Hori ones for a DS or something because people kept going on about how great they were. At least with whatever I bought, it seemed no better than the PDP or whatever ones.

I'm glad Sony sells ones, but I wish they'd have just made the screen glass like Apple does.[/QUOTE]

It would have increased the weight, but I also wish Sony had used Gorilla Glass on the Vita; would have made it pretty tough. My Kindle Fire has it and I love the toughness of the screen, though the Fire itself is pretty heavy.

Eh, I've never used a screen protector on a touchscreen (gaming, phone, tablet, whatever) in my life, and I see no reason to start now.

Normal use, microfiber cloth to clean, case for travel... no problems.

[quote name='chimpmeister']It would have increased the weight, but I also wish Sony had used Gorilla Glass on the Vita; would have made it pretty tough. My Kindle Fire has it and I love the toughness of the screen, though the Fire itself is pretty heavy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, after having glass on iOS device, there's no way I'd want anything else for a touch screen. My screen protector on my DS/3DS gets scratched up...but at least I can theoretically toss it for a new one. Disappointed by that... how did I get the idea Vita used glass?

After noticing a nearly microscopic "scratch" on the lower left corner of my Vita's touchscreen, I decided to go out and pick up a set of screen protectors. Decided on the Sony brand, and glad I did. It was super-easy to apply, and left very few air bubbles, which were easily rubbed out with the cardboard insert that came with the protectors. The last experience I had with affixing a screen protector came several years ago when I attempted to apply the highly rated Hori protectors to my mom's DS Lite. After what seemed to be an eternity, I managed to get her protectors on with only one miniscule dust fragment.

These Sony branded Vita protectors are incredibly easy to apply... only took approximately two minutes. They even come with cut-outs for the right analog controls to help you line up the screen appropriately. Nice x10.

2 questions:

1) Does the screen protector cover the entire face of the system, or just the screen?

2) How do i change the background on my lock screen? I only see how to change the regular background.

[quote name='pete5883']Seems it will periodically grab location while asleep, but I don't think it does while completely off.[/QUOTE]

Hm, strange. I'm still trying to figure out how it picked up a location that is roughly 45 minutes from me.

[quote name='nbballard']2 questions:

1) Does the screen protector cover the entire face of the system, or just the screen?

2) How do i change the background on my lock screen? I only see how to change the regular background.[/QUOTE]

The Hori one covers the entire face, the Sony and I think others just cover the screen.

I used the content manager to transfer over an image from my computer.

2) How do i change the background on my lock screen? I only see how to change the regular background.[/QUOTE]

You change the lock screen in the photo app. Select the photo you want as the lock screen then hit the bubble and it says apply to home screen, or something to that effect.

[/QUOTE]

The Sony protector only covers the screen.

As for availability of the Hori protectors at B&M locations, I have yet to see any. This is after I visited Walmart, Target, Best Buy and GameStop (~shudders~). Actually has quite the time trying to find the Sony branded protectors... hence the reason I ended up at GameStop. I had them ordered from Amazon, but decided I couldn't wait two days (plus I wanted an excuse to get out of the office).

hmm took the sim card out of my vita and it appears to be the same sim card as my android phone. wonder if after my contract expires for my phone if i could put the sim card from my vita into the phone and basically just use google voice for making calls and have 3gb of 3g for $30 a month?

[quote name='el swordo']hmm took the sim card out of my vita and it appears to be the same sim card as my android phone. wonder if after my contract expires for my phone if i could put the sim card from my vita into the phone and basically just use google voice for making calls and have 3gb of 3g for $30 a month?[/QUOTE]

SIM is a standard, so it would be the same (except mini SIM).

I would doubt you could do that, the SIM should have some sort of IMEI broadcasting what device is currently using it.

so they would know that my phone was using it and probably tack on voice to the data? it would be pretty sweet if i could ditch cell phone contracts altogether.

[quote name='whoknows']I use Virgin Mobile. No contracts.[/QUOTE]

do they have good service and pricing? i might switch when my contract expires and get something like the ipad with 3g for no commitment data on long trips.

They (and Boost) are Sprint now, so the coverage and service is pretty good (better than AT&T in my experience, though not as good as U.S. Cellular), but they use Qualcomm's CDMA like Verizon so no SIM cards :(

They do sell one of those hotspots though. I've thought if I ever actually need mobile wireless, I may get one of those instead of activating it on my iPad for a month.

[quote name='el swordo']do they have good service and pricing? i might switch when my contract expires and get something like the ipad with 3g for no commitment data on long trips.[/QUOTE]
Service is good in my area. If you don't talk a lot then they're great. $35/month for 300mins and unlimited data. Texting is also unlimited of course.

[quote name='whoknows']Service is good in my area. If you don't talk a lot then they're great. $35/month for 300mins and unlimited data. Texting is also unlimited of course.[/QUOTE]

and can you use any unlocked phone with them? that plan sounds awesome.

That's the downside, gotta buy a phone from them since they don't use sim cards.

I got the LG Optimus for $130 last year I believe. It's pretty great.

Wow, $25?!?

Of course the "paylo" prices are better than the ones for smartphones, but still.

Boost ends up $40 for unlimited everything on an Android phone, or $35 on a normal phone (or $45 on a blackberry)

Virgin Mobile's network is basically Sprint's network without any roaming. It's great when I'm in a city, non-existent when I visit friends off the beaten path.

[quote name='orntar']so, how does game sharing work? is it even worth it?[/QUOTE]
I didn't read through the whole thread but from my understanding of how Vita is implemented, there is no viable method for game sharing. Sony cut that pipe.

[quote name='jello44']Hm, strange. I'm still trying to figure out how it picked up a location that is roughly 45 minutes from me.[/QUOTE]
It doesn't always work very well.

The second day I turned Near on, it claimed my current location was somewhere in Michigan for most of the day. I'm in Pennsylvania.

So, yeah, sometimes it has... issues.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']Excuse me if I come across as a complete idiot, but I'm having trouble figuring out how the Uncharted Black Market trading system works.

Like... how do I trade things?![/QUOTE]

Some one correct me if I'm wrong- since it truly is pretty poorly designed.

I believe that you don't actively trade anything. You just need to be checking near and signing into it to see if you have any possible matches from friends or people in your area. They expire pretty quickly (3 hours I think), so you have to act pretty quickly once finding one. After seeing it in near, select the download arrow, and then go into U:GA and select the Black Market. It will automatically retrieve any items you have waiting from near.

bread's done
Back