The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V5! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

This is a Wiki post. Please read this
We appreciate you helping keep this thread up to date. The sales change virtually every day so no one person has the time to update them all. If you notice a game is no longer on sale, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see a game is on sale, add it to the list. Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.
for instructions on updating the thread.

Steam Games and DLC on Sale - Updated 12/16

Daily Deal(s)

Midweek Madness Deal(s) Weekend Deal(s)

Other Deals

Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 9/23

Amazon
  • Amazon - Preorders

• Amazon - Current Deals

GamersGate

Greenman Gaming

Preorder Deals - Updated 10/28
Group Buys - Updated 8/14

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff - Updated 4/3

There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card.
The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Which retail CD Keys are accepted on Steam?

All retail Valve games and a number of third-party games can be registered to your Steam account. All of the following games can be registered through Steam:
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • AI War CD Keys in various formats
  • Aliens vs. Predator (2010 Release) CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Alpha Prime CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Audiosurf CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • BRINK CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is not accepted on Steam
  • Cities in Motion CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Civilization V CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Cricket Revolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys may also have been printed incorrectly, please see the Dark Messiah article
  • Darksiders CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: The number 2 and letter Z may look very similar.
  • Dawn of War II CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dawn of War II - Retribution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Defense Grid CD Keys in this format (Direct2Drive only): 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Duke Nukem Forever CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Empire: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-DDEFGH3-IJK4L-MNOPQ-RST56
  • F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • F.E.A.R. 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Fallout: New Vegas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2010 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2011 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Front Mission Evolved CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Global Agenda CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Keys purchased directly from the Global Agenda website cannot be registered on Steam.
  • GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • GTR Evolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Homefront CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Humble Indie Bundle in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 2 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 3 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Just Cause 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Please input all O's and 0's as Q's for Just Cause 2
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Killing Floor CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Last Remnant CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lionheart: Kings' Crusade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Extreme Condition CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Colonies Edition CD Keys are not accepted on Steam
  • Mafia 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Magicka CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Metro 2033 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • MLB Front Office Manager CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: Warband CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • NBA 2K9 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Napoleon: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Order of War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
  • R.U.S.E. CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam
  • RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • RACE 07 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Railworks CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Rogue Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Saint's Row 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Serious Sam HD CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Shattered Horizon CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ship Simulator Extremes CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Silent Hill Homecoming CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Space Trader CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Speedball 2 - Tournament in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Star Trek: D-A-C CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • STCC - The Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Super Meat Boy CD keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Supreme Commander 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Torchlight CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Note: Only keys purchased directly from Runic Games or Perfect World prior to May 19th, 2010 can be registered on Steam.
  • Total War: SHOGUN 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Unreal Tournament 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-3FGH-456I-K8LM
  • Velvet Assassin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings in this format: AB-1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM
  • Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • X3: Terran Conflict CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Zeno Clash CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
Opposing Force CD-keys cannot be registered through Steam. Opposing Force was included in a retail Half-Life package. The Half-Life CD-key included in the package will unlock all of the games in that package, including Opposing Force.
Note: Only the retail games listed above can be registered through Steam. No other retail games can be registered and downloaded using Steam.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

The Ball (bought @D2D and tested by voken)
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon and tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, yeah, I see that. I had seen that earlier but I guess I forgot about it so quickly because non-Steam DRM is a dealbreaker for me.

Still looking for opinions on MP3 DLC though. Any of it worth it?

[quote name='Genocidal']Amazon is price-matching the $15, and Steam has the complete pack with DLC for $20. If you don't have credit at one or the other, I'd grab it at Amazon for the $5 January coupon.[/QUOTE]

Oh, good call. I forgot about the $5 coupon. I might do that.

[quote name='Umair56']Oh, yeah, I see that. I had seen that earlier but I guess I forgot about it so quickly because non-Steam DRM is a dealbreaker for me.

Still looking for opinions on MP3 DLC though. Any of it worth it?[/QUOTE]

MP3 DLC is all multiplayer stuff, so if you're just interested in single player there's really no point.

It's all multiplayer DLC, and everything points to the PC multiplayer being more or less dead. Grab a Steam key for the base game from Amazon for $15.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']Oooo, Max Payne Bundle (1 & 2) for $3.74...yeah, I like.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I saw this as well. Great price for 2 classic games that anyone should have in their library.

I don't know why people expect Steam to be the trend setter in bargains now given their relative market share/popularity. Other places are going to have lower prices because they need to expand their customer base.

Steam friend's take on MP3:

I tried so hard to like this game. It's a bad Max Payne sequel and it's a really boring third person shooter with a fever dream story based on 'feeling' more than anything interesting or even fully coherent. I see what they were going for but the game isn't fun to play, the story is more depressing than cool, and the awesome euphoria physics get in the way more than they look cool.

Pass.

[quote name='DeliveryPizza']When? I don't remember seeing it as a flash deal.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure Fallout 3 GotY was $5 for a while yesterday. I nearly picked it up but I've just heard too many stories about the game running poorly on Windows 7, so I passed. Now I'm hoping for New Vegas to have a similar deal.

[quote name='dfg']Steam friend's take on MP3:[/QUOTE]

This is why I follow a couple of gaming sites and get a good sense of the opinions and thoughts of a bunch of reviewers. Whether I mostly agree or disagree with them, knowing what they like/dislike is extremely helpful in figuring out whether or not I'll like a game.

I can't think of anything more useless than the opinion some random person who doesn't even have a name that happens to be on the friends list of a person who posts on a forum that I visit.

[quote name='DeliveryPizza']When? I don't remember seeing it as a flash deal.[/QUOTE]

A lot of the flash deals are not posted on the front store page. Either search or go here for an updating list of sales. (FYI: Firefox doesn't like that page for me, but Chrome does.)

[quote name='Mooby']I don't know why people expect Steam to be the trend setter in bargains now given their relative market share/popularity. Other places are going to have lower prices because they need to expand their customer base.[/QUOTE]

Economics of volume. If Steam has the largest fan base / market share, then they can afford to take smaller cuts on higher volume, IE Amazon.

Amazon has a massive market share and can make pennies on the dollar because of volume.

If you rest on your laurels and let other people fragment your market (more so, when people use your DRM, so you have customers give their money to other places and then using your service for free...), that's a poor decision.

Steam got to their size because of trendsetting. Stop setting trends leads to stagnation; leads to demise.

When your possibly leading competitor, Amazon, can match your dailies and blow others out of the water (See Prototype bundle for $10, 1+2 vs. Steam Prototype 2 for $20(!)...), you're going to start getting eroded.

I came to Steam because they have the best deals, but that doesn't stop me from buying from GOG, Origin, GMG, Amazon for the lowest price. Hell, GOG has an amazing deal right now (pick 5, pay $10). Make your own cheap ass indie bundle? Yes please!

TL;DR: PC gaming, in the digital sphere, is still the wild west of a free market. Steam is the big kid, but by no means can lock it all down unless they continue the trends that got them there.

[quote name='BNoyes']I'm pretty sure Fallout 3 GotY was $5 for a while yesterday. I nearly picked it up but I've just heard too many stories about the game running poorly on Windows 7, so I passed. Now I'm hoping for New Vegas to have a similar deal.[/QUOTE]

Oh alright. I played it on 360, and just borrowed the GOTY content disc from a friend and installed it on my 360. At the time, I didn't have much of a gaming PC.

Any possibility of Scribblenauts Unlimited going on sale this week? Just came out Tuesday, so I doubt it.

Also, what price do you guys expect Skyrim to show up at, if it is a sale?

[quote name='dfg']Steam friend's take on MP3:[/QUOTE]

I will say this...I bought MP3 (well pre-ordered) when it was released and thought it was a good game, but not necessarily what I thought it was going to be based on the previous two. HOWEVER, being diagnosed with a migraine disorder, I found the game unplayable due to the chaotic cutscene imagery. It was cool and all, but I'm visually sensitive to that kind of stuff (I get motion sickness when I'm a passenger in a car) and this is the first and only game I could not play. Which is sad...

[quote name='louiedog']This is why I follow a couple of gaming sites and get a good sense of the opinions and thoughts of a bunch of reviewers. Whether I mostly agree or disagree with them, knowing what they like/dislike is extremely helpful in figuring out whether or not I'll like a game.

I can't think of anything more useless than the opinion some random person who doesn't even have a name that happens to be on the friends list of a person who posts on a forum that I visit.[/QUOTE]
So biased or paid opinions are good with you?

This is like taking Apple product reviews from Engadget seriously. :lol:

[quote name='cRodz']So biased or paid opinions are good with you?

This is like taking Apple product reviews from Engadget seriously. :lol:[/QUOTE]

The Bombcast crew is pretty much spot on with my opinions most of the time. They stated it was wholly competent, but Max Payne it was not and it's not sounding like it's in their Top 10 for the year.

$5 purchase in my books given my Backlog of Insane Density™ and my other time sucking hobbies. Other people may really enjoy it, though.

Oh, and XCOM!

[quote name='TheKbob']Economics of volume.
[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they run the numbers on this and conclude the number of sales relative to the prices they charge reap in the most money. If not, as a for-profit business, they would adjust their prices.

Obviously individuals (particularly those who regularly post on a forum dedicated to cheap prices!) will seek the best prices but as crazy as it may sounds there are probably thousands if not tens of thousands if not more people out there that simply don't know about GMG, Gamer's Gate, Amazon Digital, or even the concept that a Steamworks game will activate anywhere.

[quote name='CronO_O']Are the indie deals changing? Or are they just switching the headline ones around[/QUOTE]

They are just switching the headline ones. I'm trying to figure out how Serious Sam 3 is considered indie though. Well known franchise and it had a lot of press when it was coming out and such.

[quote name='louiedog']This is why I follow a couple of gaming sites and get a good sense of the opinions and thoughts of a bunch of reviewers. Whether I mostly agree or disagree with them, knowing what they like/dislike is extremely helpful in figuring out whether or not I'll like a game.

I can't think of anything more useless than the opinion some random person who doesn't even have a name that happens to be on the friends list of a person who posts on a forum that I visit.[/QUOTE]

In hindsight, yes, I know this person's tastes while they're Greek to every other CAG (save one or two).

I stopped reading professional reviews because it's a huge pain to separate the wheat from the chaff these days, and I don't trust their objectivity when it comes to the big publishers. Who would you recommend to a cynic like me?

[quote name='CronO_O']Are the indie deals changing? Or are they just switching the headline ones around[/QUOTE]

Just switching them. The prices are the same.

[quote name='dfg']
I stopped reading professional reviews because it's a huge pain to separate the wheat from the chaff these days, and I don't trust their objectivity when it comes to the big publishers.[/QUOTE]

This, moreover I think the whole game 'journalism' industry is a joke. It's about as useful as those political pundits who opine on elections. You don't really need any specialized knowledge or education or experience to determine whether or not you'd enjoy a game. At most I just watch a few Let's Play videos just to see the mechanics of the game in action.

[quote name='Mooby']I'm sure they run the numbers on this and conclude the number of sales relative to the prices they charge reap in the most money. If not, as a for-profit business, they would adjust their prices.

Obviously individuals (particularly those who regularly post on a forum dedicated to cheap prices!) will seek the best prices but as crazy as it may sounds there are probably thousands if not tens of thousands if not more people out there that simply don't know about GMG, Gamer's Gate, Amazon Digital, or even the concept that a Steamworks game will activate anywhere.[/QUOTE]

There's major truth to consumer ignorance, but my friends on Facebook all expect me to always post the best or interesting deals because I am a CAG/packrat.

It's just sad that we know and that they could do better.

Edit: Eff it, I'm getting Dead Island. I have passed on RAGE many times thus far, so I'm not getting it.

As the legend goes ugg will come from the term unsightly and the time period UGG boots intended hideous boots. These boots originated in Australia they have fleece on the inside and are built out of sheepskin. These boots normally have artificial sole and their outer surface area is tanned. In the course of the time of their origin, these boots may well have looked unsightly but over the years they have acquired reputation and are now a terrific strike with trendsetters and famous people too. These exceptionally gentle and heat boots are offered in both equally tall and small variations. They also arrive in several colors like purple, pink, brown and other neutral colours.

Through Entire world War one aviators made use of to have on fug boots which were being related to the modern UGG boots. As early as the thirties Australian farmers who needed to maintain their feet warm wore like boots. In the sixties Australian surfers also wore these types of boots to continue to keep their toes hot. In moderate winters, Australians don very similar boots and go around their properties.

The sheepskin boots are normally flat heeled slip ons, some even have laces and chunky heels. These extraordinary boots are out there for each men and ladies and can be worn without socks. These boots have thermostatic attributes since they are manufactured of sheepskin. As the internal elements of the boots are crafted of fleece, they make it easy for flow of air and also wicks absent humidity, as a result maintaining the entire body temperature of the ft.

Earlier ugg was a generic term which referred to Australian sheepskin boots but now UGG boots is ugg boots sale a popular brand ugg sale identify for boots. There are different styles of boots underneath this brand that are a large strike with vogue conscious persons. These boots lasts very long and can be worn for even 10 extended a long time. Flat slippers, boots with heels and sheepskin cuffs, boots with attractive laces, basic boots and several much more styles are readily available. The measurements vary and so does the color. They fit very well and are exceptionally cozy.

Boots for fellas arrive in black, grey and chocolate colours. UGG boots for females arrive in pink, purple and other exciting colours. These boots are good to be worn in cold weather but will need to not be worn in excessively damp cheap ugg and muddy situations. These sheepskin boots can successfully wick away dampness but they also induce extreme perspiring of the toes. If the boots are worn devoid of socks, the sweat from the feet precisely impacts the fleece lining of the boot. Most of the men and women who have worn these boots for a longer interval with out socks have complained of sweaty toes and malodorous boots.

Some are also designed from kangaroo leather and fur. There are some identical synthetic boots which are thought to be to be pretend and are inexpensive. As these boots are one particular of the lots of items which are designed from animal epidermis they have been often subjected to criticism. A group of consumers who shaped the animal liberating movements demand these boots to be boycotted and to be changed by those people that are not crafted out of animal skin.

[quote name='TheKbob']
Edit: Eff it, I'm getting Dead Island. I have passed on RAGE many times thus far, so I'm not getting it.[/QUOTE]

Dead Island is certainly worth it. I was fairly disappointed in the world design and generic MMO style quests but the melee combat is probably some of the best I've seen in the 'zombie killing' genre.

[quote name='cRodz']uh Economics of Scale[/QUOTE]

Volume, scale; potato, patato... :roll:

Engineer, so all I know is cost effectiveness. Only started studying economics recently for MBA prep.

You're lucky I can spell :D

[quote name='Mooby']Dead Island is certainly worth it. I was fairly disappointed in the world design and generic MMO style quests but the melee combat is probably some of the best I've seen in the 'zombie killing' genre.[/QUOTE]

Yea, that's what I'm in it for. Should be fun for that alone I hope.

Anyone having trouble with isthereanydeal? Keep trying to signup using Steam login and it times out every time it asks for an email to finish registration.

Edit: Nevermind, according to their twitter "All of the sudden, everything stopped working."

[quote name='dfg']It's Chicagoflagguy's quoting a spoiler'd video. Quit it![/QUOTE]
Speaking of, I'm playing Hitman: Absolution and I noticed the cops had a Chicago flag patch on their sleeve. Ok, cool. But then they have standard Hollywood black & white police cars instead of Chicago police cars??

:bomb::bomb::bomb:

I could deal with the rocky cliffs of Lake Michigan and the random buildings in the skyline (from past experience, building a Chicago skyline is "Sears Tower, Hancock Building, random crap in between) but those black & white cop cars pushed all the wrong buttons.

[quote name='V878']MP3 DLC is all multiplayer stuff, so if you're just interested in single player there's really no point.[/QUOTE]

I do not have any interest in MP. Thank you, sir.

So far so good picked up kotor 2.50 and company of heroes 2.50(been delaying this one since it came out lol) I want xcom but i'll wait till winter i have tons of games to play same with walking dead. 45.02 left on my steam wallet budget [=

[quote name='Syntax Error']Speaking of, I'm playing Hitman: Absolution and I noticed the cops had a Chicago flag patch on their sleeve. Ok, cool. But then they have standard Hollywood black & white police cars instead of Chicago police cars??

:bomb::bomb::bomb:

I could deal with the rocky cliffs of Lake Michigan and the random buildings in the skyline (from past experience, building a Chicago skyline is "Sears Tower, Hancock Building, random crap in between) but those black & white cop cars pushed all the wrong buttons.[/QUOTE]

That probably would've bugged me as well. Might still once I play it. I remember watching the first Matrix movie and wondering why the streets names came from Chicago but it looked more Europe or Australia.

Anyone uncover any more hidden daily/flashes?

[quote name='dfg']I remember watching the first Matrix movie and wondering why the streets names came from Chicago but it looked more Europe or Australia.
[/QUOTE]
You got me thinking there, I always assumed that it was somewhere in the US.

Definitely wasn't Europe, we've got bendy roads over here and everything. And roundabouts!

It was actually filmed in
Australia

[quote name='Neuro5i5']If you go in knowing/expecting nothing, I'd say it's an average/above average FPS. If you go in believing all the marketing hype that surrounded it...it's disappointing. [/QUOTE]

That sums up my feelings on RAGE pretty well. It's not a horrible game as some will tell you, it's just your basic id shooter with lots of driving room in between corridors.

[quote name='Flowette']You got me thinking there, I always assumed that it was somewhere in the US.

Definitely wasn't Europe, we've got bendy roads over here and everything. And roundabouts!

It was actually filmed in
Australia
.[/QUOTE]

Living in the DC area, I'm used to it.

My pal has been trying to get me to pick up Awesomenauts. The question is, what do my CAGly pals think of the game?

Is Awesomenauts worth the $2.27? (At the 3-Pack price, that is.)

It's a fun game if you think you'd like a side scrolling/platform MOBA but the community is fairly small and you risk getting teamed with really bad players and pitted against premade teams.

[quote name='dfg']That probably would've bugged me as well. Might still once I play it. I remember watching the first Matrix movie and wondering why the streets names came from Chicago but it looked more Europe or Australia.[/QUOTE]The Wachowski Brothers (now the Wachowski Starship after Larry became Lana) are from Chicago and their first movie, Bound, was set there. As already noted, they shot The Matrix in Sydney, Australia, thus the unfamiliar skyline.

You want unrealistic, see how Detroit is usually portrayed in movies. Four Brothers is set at Thanksgiving, but the climatic scene is set on a frozen lake with Escalades on it. It's 63F now (unseasonably warm), but you couldn't put a Hot Wheels car on the ice here this time of year normally. We also don't have inner city hockey rinks; they shot the film in Hamilton, Ontario where they're common. They also got the skyline reversed in the final shot of the movie - that's the way it looks from the Windsor side of the Detroit River.

I agree about Steam being the trendsetter for digital distribution, but it's starting to stagnant a bit. When a game is consistently 75% off it stops becoming a deal. They have added more "gimmicks" to encourage repeat customers though: gifting, inventories, flash sales, constant daily deals, exclusive content, buy-this-get-that, etc.

Would be interesting to see if they do anything to combat Amazon.

I like when they do the achievement things for their big sales and you get stuff. I think the best setup was the Summer one with the prize booth because it really couldn't be exploited like the coal was last year.

Continuing the off-topic (as I'm struggling to get excited about today's dailies): the only film that I know of that was shot in Hull was Clockwise featuring John Cleese.

Whaddya mean you've never heard of it?

[quote name='EliotAndrews']My pal has been trying to get me to pick up Awesomenauts. The question is, what do my CAGly pals think of the game?

Is Awesomenauts worth the $2.27? (At the 3-Pack price, that is.)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mooby']It's a fun game if you think you'd like a side scrolling/platform MOBA but the community is fairly small and you risk getting teamed with really bad players and pitted against premade teams.[/QUOTE]

Do you think it's worth it taken strictly as a single player game or it is pretty much a game that needs to be done multiplayer?

[quote name='Eddy898']Do you think it's worth it taken strictly as a single player game or it is pretty much a game that needs to be done multiplayer?[/QUOTE]

Well, there really is no single player aside from offline practice. That said, often times in multiplayer you will be teamed with bots (although sometimes the games fill up) given the small player base. So, yes, there are fairly competent bots and it's still pretty fun mechanics wise. It would be like playing Dota with bots.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Could be a smaller download, Hitman was like 13GB download and installed to around 22GB. I recall Rage was probably at least 20 dl but with that new Steam content system, maybe it's more compressed?[/QUOTE]

The new steam stuff can be quite efficient. Yesterday I downloaded Silverfall Complete. Steam said the base game would take 20GB and the expansion 10GB. Well I only needed to download 10GB that took 21GB of hard drive. (The expansion download was only 250MB).

[quote name='dfg']Who would you recommend to a cynic like me?[/QUOTE]
Demos above all else. Recommendations from people you know or track on boards, e.g. MysteryD. Also learn to read between the lines on reviews. IGN reviews can be useful if you know how to read them.

[quote name='Syntax Error']Speaking of, I'm playing Hitman: Absolution and I noticed the cops had a Chicago flag patch on their sleeve. Ok, cool. But then they have standard Hollywood black & white police cars instead of I could deal with the rocky cliffs of Lake Michigan and the random buildings in the skyline (from past experience, building a Chicago skyline is "Sears Tower, Hancock Building, random crap in between) but those black & white cop cars pushed all the wrong buttons.[/QUOTE]

No No No NO NO NOO NOOO. The Chicago skyline is very important and unique. I could tell my location in Chicago very well by "reading" the skyline. Nowdays you could easily crib the skyline from google maps. Cliffs in Chicago? On the in the false raised bit at Wacker and the south end of River North, kinda, but it's concrete. Please tell me it at least includes the iconic racing under the L.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Living in the DC area, I'm used to it.[/QUOTE]

I lived in Santa Monica in the 80s. At the time, so much movie and film was shot there it wasn't funny. There was the stuff that used it as a convenient and pretty location, but the film industry was far more abusive. A prime example would be the A-Team (the TV series), tromping around to exotic locales all over the world, that all look exactly like SoCal.

[quote name='Mooby']Slightly more on-topic but still off topic: http://www.wolfire.com/desperate-gods[/QUOTE]
I cross between "Monopoly and Diablo"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back