The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I fear, want a unique gun/mission/piece of dlc better craft a foil badge then or get rank 5, though it may help the cards values I feel its the wrong way to take them. Though with developers getting a 1% cut from card sells I bet badges unlocking dlc will become more common.

That's true.
10% cut

hmmm... basically having micro-transactions within already paid-for games. I'll rather have plummeting card values than requiring collection of cards to unlock certain aspects of games I already paid for. Grrrr.... 

I have a feeling that this won't be the only game that does it and it is going to open a can of worms.

How many devs want to create something new for their old games though? Would it be as easy as making 2 Beat Hazard sprites?

Are the developers making the cards and cosmetics?

It-burns-when-I-pee questions...

Very slippery slope they're going down here. It will be interesting to see where this leads and if there will be any backlash.

How many devs want to create something new for their old games though? Would it be as easy as making 2 Beat Hazard sprites?

Are the people making the cards and cosmetics the developers themselves?

Depends on the RoI?

You pay an artist to come up with some cards, backgrounds, emoticons, and the sprite change out for the gold/dragon ship. Pay a programmer to update the game to enable all of that. Getting a badge is simply read similar to an achievement I think, so it unlocks it via Steam pretty easily. Figure what, maybe a couple hundred bucks in artist/programmer time?

Dev then gets 10% of every card sold . . . forever. Doing this may drive prices up or at least keep them stable. At 30 cents a card for normals, maybe a buck for foils with the new incentives, around 5k cards would have to be sold to break even.

edit: Dev gets 10%, Steam gets 5%, seller gets 85%.

Are the developers making the cards and cosmetics?

Newer games like Tomb Raider with countless cosmetics dlcs or those paradox games with microtransactions in games, I won't be too surprise if they follow suit.

Devs don't get 10%. The fee is split between the dev and Valve. I think it was 6% each initially.

My card drops have been coming in at 30 minutes or less. I just got 2 Payday drops in .7 hours.

Here are some of my recent drop times:
ETS2 - 4 drops, 1.2 hours
Torchlight 2 - 3 drops, 1.1 hours
Organ Trail - 6 drops, 2.2 hours

I could go on and on listing similar numbers. Are the people getting slow drops using SAM?

Devs don't get 10%. The fee is split between the dev and Valve. I think it was 6% each initially.

My card drops have been coming in at 30 minutes or less. I just got 2 Payday drops in .7 hours.

I could go on and on listing similar numbers. Are the people getting slow drops using SAM?
Every card on the market says 10% Valve and 10% devs, why would the fee be split?

Drops have been really slow for me too using SAM

Out of interest, what's happened to Beat Hazard card prices? This is a game that's been bundled several times over and will be widely owned. Furthermore, I don't see myself playing it seriously for any length of time (I've had my fun out of it).

Logic: if cards unlock rewards then more people will craft, supply will reduce, price will rise. Isn't that what you want?

I think it's a very interesting and profitably development. This is just DLC, and cosmetic DLC at that. A dev isn't going to waste tons of cash on "decent" content that can only be obtained by crafting when they can just sell their DLC on the Steam store.

The question we're asking is this: who is vain enough to craft a level 5 badge just to show off a sparkly ship for a game they barely play?

Disclaimer: Flowette, Steam level 33

Every card on the market says 10% Valve and 10% devs, why would the fee be split?
The fee on cards is definitely not 20% total. I can't list cards on mobile to check, but if you try listing a card at $1 buy price you can easily see the total percentage fee and that is split.

eversion1_zpsfa6d62f1.png

eversion2_zps2e508462.png

etc.

You guys need to start paying attention when you BUY stuff.  It clearly states the split.  Devs get 10% and Valve tacks on 5%.  TOTAL of 15% to your purchase.  Go look at your Market receipts.  Jesus, I wish people fact checked themselves before confusing a discussion.

Edit:  Added PROOF

60770_10201699848323145_962046671_n.jpg

Eversion devs:

wikihow_zps8c4af5bf.png

wikihow2_zpsf4f122a1.png

This has me laughing like I'm baked right now. :rofl:

you lookin' good today gurl :cool:

damn B when'd you get so good at sayin' I look good? :shock:

Vince, Tracy, Dave: Meet my new friend. :wave: He has sickle cell so obviously he really needed this. :grouphug:

You guys need to start paying attention when you BUY stuff. It clearly states the split. Devs get 10% and Valve tacks on 5%. TOTAL of 15% to your purchase. Go look at your Market receipts. Jesus, I wish people fact checked themselves before confusing a discussion.

Edit: Added PROOF
It used to be 12% split in half. I never noticed because I don't buy stuff. No need to get all worked up.

You guys need to start paying attention when you BUY stuff. It clearly states the split. Devs get 10% and Valve tacks on 5%. TOTAL of 15% to your purchase. Go look at your Market receipts. Jesus, I wish people fact checked themselves before confusing a discussion.

Edit: Added PROOF

Ah right, that was it. Messed up the Steam part of it. Just knew I remembered the 10% fee for the dev's, which if you think about it, is probably a pretty sweet extra income for attaching some emoticons/backgrounds. Not to mention it made their games more wanted because of it.

Don't think of it as cards, think of it as an investment. These Steam badges will put your Brawny Gent through college.

Flowette: financial advisor to the rich and famous and gullible.
College...I can't wait for him to stop peeing in his own face when I change a diaper. I'm not a very good diaper changer and he pays the price for it.

Really tempted to get Giana for this price but this sale screams Indie Bundle. I'll pass, already getting my fair amount of plataforming with Fly'N... no regrets on getting it during the summer sale, what a damn nice cute looking challenging game it is.

For anyone who's interested in Beat Hazard ships-for-badges developments, here's a thread where the developer is commenting on it: thread.

So far, it sounds like he doesn't understand much about the cards (especially about foils and their price.)

For anyone who's interested in Beat Hazard ships-for-badges developments, here's a thread where the developer is commenting on it: thread.

So far, it sounds like he doesn't understand much about the cards (especially about foils and their price.)
Their price is all determined by the people who buy it though, foils could've been 10 cent each if people didn't spend more money on it.

bought

FTL

Just Cause 1

and steam wallet went from about 5$ to 18 something, due to finally bothering with cards.

Played a ton of FTL already, beaten it on easy and normal.

ooo an excuse to go back to S.P.A.Z.

I agree. It reads like he just tossed this in without doing any kind of research about how the trading cards actually work. And yet he seems curiously committed to these changes despite essentially having admitted that he knew virtually nothing about the mechanics of the system.

IMO, even asking for a level 5 badge for an in-game bonus is excessive. I can't think of any game at all that I ever liked enough to want to spend the time, money, and energy involved in a crafting a level 2 badge, let alone a level 5 one. Crafting a level 5 badge absolutely demands spending some real-world money to do, unless, as you stated previously, you trade cards for upwards of 10 other games to get enough Gaben $ to do it. Frankly I don't know who has the resources to do that, but that person should probably have his name emblazoned in flashing neon colors on the title screen for that kind of effort.

Anyone here know if you can idle multiple games in SAM at once? Like, I know you can do it in the SAM program, but does Steam actually register that two games are being played thus you'll get card drops for both?

Daily Deal - Kentucky Route Zero, 50% Off
I guess the guy in charge of posting News hasn't quite figured out how to program posts.

I'm really tempted by this, it looks very interesting and even though it can be future bundle material, it's a way to support the devs.

Anyone here know if you can idle multiple games in SAM at once? Like, I know you can do it in the SAM program, but does Steam actually register that two games are being played thus you'll get card drops for both?
I've done it before. But I don't reccomend it. I've noticed whenever I idle multiple games at once it just murders my card drop rate.

Don't know about SAM, but you can leave more than one game running on Steam at the same time and you'll get card drops for all of them.

I've done it before. But I don't reccomend it. I've noticed whenever I idle multiple games at once it just murders my card drop rate.
This is why I was curious actually. I'm just idling Sol Survivor right now and it's drop times are horrendous. It's easily taking me 90-120 minutes for a single card to drop. I wanted to idle another game since it's going to take all damn day to get the five Sol Survivor cards.

It's weird because when I bought SART and actually played it, I got all five card drops in like 30-40 minutes.

I agree. It reads like he just tossed this in without doing any kind of research about how the trading cards actually work. And yet he seems curiously committed to these changes despite essentially having admitted that he knew virtually nothing about the mechanics of the system.

IMO, even asking for a level 5 badge for an in-game bonus is excessive. I can't think of any game at all that I ever liked enough to want to spend the time, money, and energy involved in a crafting a level 2 badge, let alone a level 5 one. Crafting a level 5 badge absolutely demands spending some real-world money to do, unless, as you stated previously, you trade cards for upwards of 10 other games to get enough Gaben $ to do it. Frankly I don't know who has the resources to do that, but that person should probably have his name emblazoned in flashing neon colors on the title screen for that kind of effort.
yes he may not know how crafting badges really works and the requirements to get those ships are way high but at least he tried, as someone who has several lvl. 5 badges and likes to collect cards/badges in general, I would like to see more developers add little bonuses like this to reward me for going through the trouble of actually collecting cards and crafting badges.

I've idled up to 5 I think at one time with SAM.  I tried 19 at a time yesterday, but that didn't work...lol

Also, I rather like the Beat Hazard thing.  I mean, I'll never do it, but for people crafting I really see nothing wrong with a tangible game object as a reward for crafting.  I guess some people who need to have everything for a game might not like it, but I don't see an issue with it.  If KF added something like that I would actually craft up even if it meant losing my totally awesome Horzine badge. 

Whoa KRZ!  Awesome!

50% off is the same discount as the failed community vote during summer sale right?  Maybe that means we'll start seeing other neglected votes like Conquistador, Recettear, etc :)

Also, I rather like the Beat Hazard thing. I mean, I'll never do it, but for people crafting I really see nothing wrong with a tangible game object as a reward for crafting. I guess some people who need to have everything for a game might not like it, but I don't see an issue with it.
I don't really have a problem with requiring level 5 for a game like that where cards are fairly cheap. It's the foil badge for a non-cosmetic ship that annoys me. (If it was the other way around, I wouldn't mind much at all.)

If KF added something like that I would actually craft up even if it meant losing my totally awesome Horzine badge.
Mine's better.

I don't really have a problem with requiring level 5 for a game like that where cards are fairly cheap. It's the foil badge for a non-cosmetic ship that annoys me. (If it was the other way around, I wouldn't mind much at all.)

Mine's better.

OMG! Horzine with fire? And the title of Fleshpound Pounder...I think Izod and I just found a reason to Level 5 the KF badge.

Well this is random, but looking through my inventory and checking some sale prices I found this somewhat hilarious:
LOL, maybe someone is laundering money through the sale of cards.

Edit: Is it true you have to put in your tax info if you sell to many cards?

LOL, maybe someone is laundering money through the sale of cards.

Edit: Is it true you have to put in your tax info if you sell to many cards?
Sadly yes

You have created 182 listings this year. Before you can sell or list more than 200 items in a calendar year, we are required to collect certain information from you. Please click here to provide the necessary information. To find out more about this requirement, please visit the FAQ.
Under Internal Revenue Code section 6050W, the U.S. Internal Revenue Service requires us to determine whether you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien before permitting you to sell more than 200 items in the community market in a single calendar year. If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the IRS also requires us to collect your Social Security number or other Taxpayer Identification Number. Please note that we are not required to report this information or information about your sales to the IRS under section 6050W of the Internal Revenue Code unless you engage in more than 200 sales in a single calendar year AND the gross sales proceeds from those sales exceeds $20,000 in a single calendar year. For more information, you can view the Community Market FAQ here.

To verify your citizenship status, and if required, to verify your taxpayer information, please respond below.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back