The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's because I remember them fondly from back in the day or know I will actually play them but I'm fine with 66% on the Ys games vs 75%. They're quality games. And they very likely won't be indie bundled, unless you count the Steam Indie bundles which aren't that great of a deal anyway.

OTOH someone asked me why I didn't buy Surgeon Simulator because it's weird and seemed right up my alley. (Me like weird games? No idea what gave him that idea :mrgreen: ) I cited the 66% sale and waiting for 75% as the reason.

I guess we all have our games we'll cave at 66% for and those we'll keep waiting for 75%.

Ys probably would get a few more cheapasses at 66% though if they added those damned cards aka free microrebates.

Oh and for those wondering, they are looking into cards but XSeed has a lot on their plate at the moment so it may not happen for a while.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/207350/discussions/0/846957366738990678/#c846957366854601263

Sara [developer] Jul 2, 2013 @ 8:37am
We are looking into this but we are completely swamped with other projects at the moment. When we have some free time, you can be sure we'll do something.

I've figured it out, I just won't have the OP updated the exact moment deals switch every single day, especially on days they add Midweek deals and such.
They meant the guy posting news on Steam. The announcement was posted at 10 AM CST, and the deal doesn't flip until noon.

The announcement usually isn't posted until the deal flips.

74 cents to upgrade my Trine 2 Regular Edition up to Complete Story Edition?

Sure, why not!

{shoulder shrug}

{smile}

:D

74 cents to upgrade my Trine 2 Regular Edition up to Complete Story Edition?

Sure, why not!

{shoulder shrug}

{smile}

:D
How do you know if you have the complete story? It says I own the complete story on the store page but I never remember buying any of the dlc for the game and dosnt show I own any either.

Anyone have good things to say about Ys? They look interesting, but I'm not sure which would be the first to get, or if they're even my kind of game.

I just realized I have Trine 1 on Steam. Should I bother playing through that before I start 2? Is this one of those games where the sequel is so improved that makes it original obsolete, like Assassin's Creed 2?

Anyone have good things to say about Ys? They look interesting, but I'm not sure which would be the first to get, or if they're even my kind of game.

I generally don't like RPGs or whatever YS is. I won it in a giveaway and played it and I think I put close to 10 hours into it and had fun. I still haven't gone back to finish it, but it is a fun game.

The one I got is YS Oath and it's basically like a hack n slash platforming RPG. It can get a little repetitive at times and difficult at times so there is some level grinding which I don't like. Saving before boss battles is important too, otherwise you can get stuck in impossible to win boss battles. Nothing I would gush over, but being something I usually do not like, I actually did have fun with it.

They meant the guy posting news on Steam. The announcement was posted at 10 AM CST, and the deal doesn't flip until noon.

The announcement usually isn't posted until the deal flips.
Ah, my bad. I never check the news section and saw the word "post" and assumed it was about this thread.

221435NothingtodoHereGifMadethiscuzIwas2479d82822723.gif

How do you know if you have the complete story? It says I own the complete story on the store page but I never remember buying any of the dlc for the game and dosnt show I own any either.
Trine 2 + Goblin Menace DLC = Trine 2: Complete Story Edition.

We'll have to check to see if you have bought Goblin Menace DLC.

Hop on Steam; get into your Game Library; right click on Trine 2; then left-click on View Downloadable Content; and then go see if Goblin Menace DLC is there in your DLC List.

If Goblin Menace DLC is NOT there - you're missing it.

Then, you can go buy the Upgrade To Complete Story Edition - if you want to upgrade.

(Doing this upgrade adds Goblin Menace to your DLC List)

If you have Goblin Menace DLC and it IS there - you're all set. You don't need to do anything.

Those who own Trine 2 + Goblin Menace are automatically full-blown owners of Trine 2: Complete Story.

I generally don't like RPGs or whatever YS is. I won it in a giveaway and played it and I think I put close to 10 hours into it and had fun. I still haven't gone back to finish it, but it is a fun game.

The one I got is YS Oath and it's basically like a hack n slash platforming RPG. It can get a little repetitive at times and difficult at times so there is some level grinding which I don't like. Saving before boss battles is important too, otherwise you can get stuck in impossible to win boss battles. Nothing I would gush over, but being something I usually do not like, I actually did have fun with it.
Yeah it's more hack and slash than pure RPG. As long as you have enough patience to learn the boss strategies, I think most people would enjoy them. For anyone new to the series, I'd suggest getting Ys Origin first.

Trine 2 + Goblin Menace DLC = Trine 2: Complete Story Edition.

We'll have to check to see if you have bought Goblin Menace DLC.

Hop on Steam; get into your Game Library; right click on Trine 2; then left-click on View Downloadable Content; and then go see if Goblin Menace DLC is there in your DLC List.

If Goblin Menace DLC is NOT there - you're missing it.

Then, you can go buy the Upgrade To Complete Story Edition - if you want to upgrade.

If you have Goblin Menace DLC and it IS there - you're all set. You don't need to do anything.

Those who own Trine 2 + Goblin Menace are automatically full-blown owners of Trine 2: Complete Story.
Ah kay thanks!, What I thought, I knew I had no dlc in the tab so thought something was fishy with the whole"you own the complete story" i'll have to upgrade then before the sale ends.

meh only 37 pages late.... NEW THREAD...

Wonder how long it will take for the steam summer cards to get up to .35 a piece... Skyrim was at .40 last night.

Kind of pissed I sold the one foil drop I got for 1.50 :whistle2:(

I just realized I have Trine 1 on Steam. Should I bother playing through that before I start 2? Is this one of those games where the sequel is so improved that makes it original obsolete, like Assassin's Creed 2?
To me 2 felt like just more of the same, with the only huge improvements being the visuals and online coop. You should definitely play in coop though if you can, makes it a lot more fun and gives you more options on how to solve some of the puzzles.

Nothing could ever make me sell my Fleshpound and Uranus cards.

I demand that you buy condom cards because of the thing you just said. A Gary Coleman card, too, for all the fetishes he covers.

OTOH someone asked me why I didn't buy Surgeon Simulator because it's weird and seemed right up my alley. (Me like weird games? No idea what gave him that idea :mrgreen: ) I cited the 66% sale and waiting for 75% as the reason.

I guess we all have our games we'll cave at 66% for and those we'll keep waiting for 75%.
Surgeon Simulator looked, to me, like one of those games you fire up one time and laugh a little at the mess you're making... then never go back. Ys, even though I'm not a die-hard RPG guy, is something I can play for an extended amount of time. In fact, I played through it one time on my SNES and I would definitely go back.

It shouldn't make a difference. Play whichever you want first as they're largely the same. There's no critical plot point you'll miss either. I can't recall the plot for 1. I'm in the middle of 2 right now and, to be honest, I can't recall the plot for it either.

Seems like they're rotating the failed votes as dailies so maybe Conquistador will get up there for $5.  Of course I already grabbed it for $5.50ish black market pricing~

meh only 37 pages late.... NEW THREAD...

Wonder how long it will take for the steam summer cards to get up to .35 a piece... Skyrim was at .40 last night.

Kind of pissed I sold the one foil drop I got for 1.50 :whistle2:(

Yeah, I almost sold my Tomb Raider foil for the same price but decided to wait. Now it's just a matter of how long.....

Got a Pay Day Heist foil today too! I think that makes 5 since this whole thing started. Mmmmm, patience...

Yeah it's more hack and slash than pure RPG. As long as you have enough patience to learn the boss strategies, I think most people would enjoy them. For anyone new to the series, I'd suggest getting Ys Origin first.
I dunno, I'd recommend getting Oath first. That way you're introduced to Adol and the series, without spoiling what happens in 1&2 if you play Origins first.

I dunno, I'd recommend getting Oath first. That way you're introduced to Adol and the series, without spoiling what happens in 1&2 if you play Origins first.
I thought Ys Origin is the prequel to the entire series.. it spoils 1 & 2?

EDIT: Ok.. found an informative post from one of the XSEED guys on SPUF.

"Yeah, you should have no problem. Since it is a prequel, it's technically the earliest point in the story, meaning there's absolutely NOTHING you need to know going into it.

The worst case scenario is that some very minor plot points from Ys I & II will be spoiled for you by playing Ys Origin first -- but as with most Ys titles, it works both ways: if you play Ys I & II before playing Ys Origin, it'll almost feel like those same plot points are spoiled for you in Ys Origin. In other words, whether you learn about, say, the Devil's Corridor in Ys Origin or Ys I & II, it's still just as cool -- and when you encounter that same area in the other game, you'll get that exact same sense of, "oh, hey, I remember this place!"

-Tom "

So you technically get "spoiled" either way, no matter if you play Origin or 1&2 first.

I just read the Ys entry on Wikipedia to understand the chronology. My brain is a souffle...

When I was idling 6 at a time I was getting 3 card drops an hour. So take that as you'd like. Anything you read on a forum is pure speculation and drop rates vary by person, time, game, etc. I'm sure there's some algorithm behind it, but it's probably meant to be unpredictable enough for us not to find a pattern.

Idle a game while watching Investigation Discovery on TV gets you 1 card per 10 minutes...I tested it and it worked...
While your anecdote and sarcasm are appreciated, the original post in the forum was by Valve employee: http://steamcommunity.com/id/johnc.

I understand the words of a single employee are not gospel, but the correlation between the experiences of many and the statements of an employee would suggest that part of the mystical algorithm is how many games are operating at once.

While your anecdote and sarcasm are appreciated, the original post in the forum was by Valve employee: http://steamcommunity.com/id/johnc.

I understand the words of a single employee are not gospel, but the correlation between the experiences of many and the statements of an employee would suggest that part of the mystical algorithm is how many games are operating at once.

I'm sure it is and I never said it wasn't part of it, but until anybody actually knows what role it plays, it's just a guessing game. Some days I've gone hours between drops running a single game. Other days I've gotten a ton more drops idling multiple games than I ever have idling one game. Other times idling multiple games seems slow while idling one at a time seems to drop more often. There might even be a time component to it. Maybe some days/times/users will get better drop rates depending on the exact circumstances. For ME PERSONALLY it just seems silly trying to decipher the logic of it all and until John C wants to let us know the exact science I just don't pay too much credence to any "patterns" because even anecdotal evidence is skewed by the fact people most likely to post their experiences online are a certain subset of avid card idlers. Whose to say the more cards you get doesn't affect your drop rate positively or negatively?

I'm sure it is and I never said it wasn't part of it, but until anybody actually knows what role it plays, it's just a guessing game. Some days I've gone hours between drops running a single game. Other days I've gotten a ton more drops idling multiple games than I ever have idling one game. Other times idling multiple games seems slow while idling one at a time seems to drop more often. There might even be a time component to it. Maybe some days/times/users will get better drop rates depending on the exact circumstances. For ME PERSONALLY it just seems silly trying to decipher the logic of it all and until John C wants to let us know the exact science I just don't pay too much credence to any "patterns" because even anecdotal evidence is skewed by the fact people most likely to post their experiences online are a certain subset of avid card idlers. Whose to say the more cards you get doesn't affect your drop rate positively or negatively?
After I made my post asking about it earlier, I set it to idle five games. Within 20 minutes I had gotten a card for all five games. After that though, nothing dropped for like two straight hours until I stopped idling five and went down to one.

I think I'm gonna remove my PSN profile from my CAG sig. I wish you could select not to post the sig from within quick reply, I always used to choose No on the old CAG. What is the best site for making Steam profile pics?

I think I like this one. It's real slim. I feel bad when I use up too much space with a sig and feel like I'm annoying everyone. I'd like it if it displayed my Steam level though.

solid-snake-eyes.png

Steamsignature is good but not sure if its too fat. It's definitely better than what I've been using, think I'll keep this one. The Groups section is a real waste of space though, who cares how many groups I'm in?

76561197996799113.png

Kentucky Route Zero price is matched on dev's site through the humble store. It's DRM-free and a Steam key is included.
Thanks for that info louiedog. It's 50% off (which I know is not at the 75% or GTFO threshold) but in this case I do want to support the devs, and so I'll buy it through the Humble Store. (I noticed that most of the user reviews on Metacritic griped about the price, not the game itself; I wonder if they'd increase their score if they had bought it on sale)

And thanks to the CAG peeps who developed Enhanced Steam! I can tell right away what the previous low price was (about $18 during the Steam Summer Sale), which makes my decision easier (or at least more justifiable, until the Bundle/Flash Sale/75% Winter Sale discount). :bouncy:

Not sure if its been mentioned, but on the Steam boards, I saw mention that idling multiple games at once lowers the drop rate for every game that is running. Not sure if its linear, in which case it would be a wash or if the penalty is a little higher.
I call :bs: on the Valve employee, since I've idled two games at once many times (one in Steam, one in SAM) and gotten each game's drops simultaneously at reasonable intervals. I've also idled a single game and had no drops for 2 hours.

I just say "fucking totally random".

Yeah. Price mistake, going F2P, or development stopping 'cause the show has ended. That's a ridiculous price drop otherwise.
The second season is already scheduled, and the current in game event deals with putting a character from the game into the show next season.

My guess is that they saw how well the game sold at $10 during the Summer Sale and thought "Why don't we just set the MSRP at $10 all the time?", and perhaps sales will be few and far between now.

What the...

I can't get the "add friend" link to work in my sig. it seems to direct to my profile instead of using the steam command. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back