The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
my steam crashed around one am pacific time and now i cant actually log into steam online.  I was halfway through installing left 4 dead 2, and says there is no internet connection.   Google and firefox say otherwise.  Whats going on?

Surely Expedition was competing against two other games, most likely with bigger name recognition, in that vote just like all the others, right?  I don't understand the reaction to it being 50% off 2 months after release just because it didn't win a community vote and go cheaper for 8 hours during the biggest sale of the year.

But then, I haven't bought a game on Steam since December and I'm really into tactical RPGs right now so I'm way easier to convince.

re: backlogs, I'm trying out a new tactic with the 3DS XL I bought this week - pick up a couple games, and play one to its logical conclusion (beating it, getting tired of it) before buying any more.  With Steam, I'm way past that point and will just install something that looks interesting at the time or boot up a game for a second run (see: XCOM) despite not having ever touched 200 others. Not like they're going anywhere, right?

Finished Shadowrun Returns last night. Loved it with a few caveats.

Pros: great writing, interesting characters, perfect introduction to Shadowrun setting, combat is satisfying, decking + meatspace dual combat is amazing, can't wait for steam workshop content.

Cons: needs more optional side-content, no way to end combat when all nearby enemies are dead (so you have to roam in combat mode to find the others halfway across the level), not enough equipment variety, no controller support

The checkpoint save system didn't bother me. It kept me from annoying myself with a lot of mid combat save and reloads, so I actually think it's a good thing.

I'd say it deserves the 80%-85% reviews it got.

Have they translated the other 4 novels, or do you read Polish?

(Though, having read the original short story collection, I can confirm that one is a very entertaining read.)
I should have specified, but there are full fan translations available here: http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/20967-our-community-fan-translations/

Obviously not quite professional quality but they get the job done and then some. Personally I thought they were rather well done and managed to convey a pretty consistent tone with the few official transactions released so far. (And coming from a background of reading dreadful manga scanlations, these were a joy to get through in comparison!)

Just popping in to say anyone tempted to get Realms of Arkania, Wait. Seriously. It's a Hot German Mess right now and they're needing to do multiple patches. Also it looks like Gothic 1 and yet inexplicably still runs like ass on my PC that runs everything else just fine including some graphically intensive newer games.

Wait for a sale and then check back to see what the general consensus regarding the state of the game at that point.

I should know better and yet somehow my curiosity gets the better of me.
That is sad news. I really had high hopes on that game... Love Arkania games :(

Here is what I have gathered from the community on backlogs:

1 - Getting games cheap (>75% off) is its own reward.

2 - Having a large backlog is its own reward.

3 - Playing a game on the backlog = Gravy.

P.S. Try not to stress over the games you're not playing and enjoy the ones you do.

Extra Credit: Families interfere with gaming.  Try not to have one, although having a family may provide other non-gaming related benefits.

Thank you all for your input.

American Mcgee's Grimm is on Greenlight. Please vote this up for me guys, I fucking love this game.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=163244574&searchtext=grimm
I played the demo for one of these episodes back when they were released and honestly the only thing the game really had going for it IMO was the aesthetic of the artwork. From what I could see, it was just running about recoloring landscapes, which is less of a game and more of a tutorial for Microsoft Paint. Even the stories appeared to be paper-thin.

anyone played Expeditions: Conquistador? It looks kinda interesting. A turn based RPG set in that time period as a conquistador. The only thing is $10 isn't much of a sale. Im tempted to wait for 75% off or so. ANyone played it, is it any fun? Worth 10 bucks?
I believe Mooby bought it from a guy who was selling keys out of the trunk of his car in an alley behind an abandoned A&P. But I'm not sure whether he's played it.

Just popping in to say anyone tempted to get Realms of Arkania, Wait. Seriously. It's a Hot German Mess right now and they're needing to do multiple patches. Also it looks like Gothic 1 and yet inexplicably still runs like ass on my PC that runs everything else just fine including some graphically intensive newer games.

Wait for a sale and then check back to see what the general consensus regarding the state of the game at that point.

I should know better and yet somehow my curiosity gets the better of me.
I had a bad feeling about this because of the way it suddenly appeared a few months ago with little press or fanfare. That's unfortunate but maybe it'll be patched up to a playable state in the next few months.

Surely Expedition was competing against two other games, most likely with bigger name recognition, in that vote just like all the others, right? I don't understand the reaction to it being 50% off 2 months after release just because it didn't win a community vote and go cheaper for 8 hours during the biggest sale of the year.
People are irritated because the fact that it was even being offered at a potential 75% discount means that the dev was willing to sell it at that pricepoint but for some bizarre reason chose not to when the daily came around. It's not as though he's holding out and waiting for a year or two to drop to a 75% discount--he potentially would have had it at this price two weeks ago if the votes had gone his way. And many people think Expeditions would have gotten the nod if it had been available in more countries--the other two games had been on sale many times before (not that that necessarily bothers Steam voters).

There are actually two short story collections, but the publisher skipped translating the Sword of Destiny because they didn't think it would sell well. Blood of Elves is out and Time of Contempt paperback comes out next month. I assume if Time of Contempt sells well we'll get the other 3 translated sometime in the future.

I'm sure there's probably fan translations of all of them around the internet somewhere though.
Dude, thanks for pointing out the new one! Gonna go pre-order that. I read the first two as they came out and loved 'em. I keep forcing myself into repressing the fact that the books exist after I finish one though because I know there are more out there in Polish just waiting to be translated and it hurts me on the inside.

Any thoughts on Still LIfe?  Looks interesting, heard great things about Syberia, and this doesn't seem to be quite up to that level, but might it still be worth it?  I know it's only $3 for Still Life 1 & 2 + Post Mortem on the Indie Gala store, so considering picking them up from there...

Amen, brother. And don't feel like you have to enjoy something just because it's critically acclaimed either. After about seven hours with Spec Ops I was bored so I haven't returned to it since, but to my great embarrassment I lost twelve hours to Triple Town the first weekend I installed it. The great thing about the current state of PC gaming is that with console crossover, the indie market, and more than anything else, the incredibly low price of games, we have this huge variety and quality of entertainment to choose from at unprecedented prices. There really is something for everyone now.
Did you get stuck somewhere and keep dying? I would figure by the seven hour mark you would be close to or finished with the first playthrough.

There are actually two short story collections, but the publisher skipped translating the Sword of Destiny because they didn't think it would sell well. Blood of Elves is out and Time of Contempt paperback comes out next month. I assume if Time of Contempt sells well we'll get the other 3 translated sometime in the future.

I'm sure there's probably fan translations of all of them around the internet somewhere though.
Wow, next month. I kinda forgot about it since it's been delayed so many times...preorder, ho!

And yeah, there are fan translations, I linked 'em on the last page.

GamersGate has Driver: San Francisco for $5 as one of their Summer Sale promotions. (The DRM is UPlay.)

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DSF/driver-san-francisco

It's nice to finally see the game go below $7.50. Any thoughts?
I absolutely loved Driver: SF. I've mentioned before, but I'm generally not a fan of racing games (probably because I am generally atrocious at driving), but D:SF was much more than racing game to me. I originally thought the swapping was a "gimmick", but it was used in novel and interesting ways all the way to the end of the game. The story, side missions and characters are non-sensical yet entertaining, and you can tell it never takes itself too seriously.

I thought it was a great game and one of my favorite memories last year. It didn't have much, if any, replay value for me, but there is stuff to do around the city even after you finish the game... I was just more interested in the ridiculous stories and events you find yourself in.

I absolutely loved Driver: SF. I've mentioned before, but I'm generally not a fan of racing games
I contend that that Driver SF is -not- a racing game. I thought it was fine/decent... I would have thought better of it if I wasn't expecting a racing game. The shift mechanic is enjoyable.

A

GamersGate has Driver: San Francisco for $5 as one of their Summer Sale promotions.
Check the GG thread, save another buck or so. If you have access to a time machine, go back ~14 months and grab it for $1 on the Uplay sale.

I contend that that Driver SF is -not- a racing game. I thought it was fine/decent... I would have thought better of it if I wasn't expecting a racing game. The shift mechanic is enjoyable.

A

Check the GG thread, save another buck or so. If you have access to a time machine, go back ~14 months and grab it for $1 on the Uplay sale.
Or pick up the higher res holo remake in Uplay's 2022 5th Anniversary of Glorious Chinese Megapower Founding sale for 35 credits.

Oh gee I got a Strike Suit Zero booster pack. Well they're only selling for $1.15 and the cards are about $.50 each so I might as well open it, might even craft the badge.

DRYQW5N.png

OH COME ON

And there's the deal on Recettear at last.

Carpe Fulgur games are all 75% off, individually and packaged.  As such, buying them individually saves you two cents over the collection.

Chantelise - A Tale of Two Sisters $2.49

Fortune Summoners $4.99

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale $4.99

People are irritated because the fact that it was even being offered at a potential 75% discount means that the dev was willing to sell it at that pricepoint but for some bizarre reason chose not to when the daily came around. It's not as though he's holding out and waiting for a year or two to drop to a 75% discount--he potentially would have had it at this price two weeks ago if the votes had gone his way. And many people think Expeditions would have gotten the nod if it had been available in more countries--the other two games had been on sale many times before (not that that necessarily bothers Steam voters).
Oh I understand the why, but I would contend (without knowing anything about the publisher) that during the summer sale, when millions of people are compulsively checking the site/client every few hours for deals, is the best time to heavily discount for maximum number of purchases. Outside that particular instance, who knows if it would have gone to 75% this early. I just think it's childish to punish them - especially if you think the game is interesting - because of that. I haven't bought it yet, but I'm still considering it.

Any thoughts on Still LIfe? Looks interesting, heard great things about Syberia, and this doesn't seem to be quite up to that level, but might it still be worth it? I know it's only $3 for Still Life 1 & 2 + Post Mortem on the Indie Gala store, so considering picking them up from there...
Still Life 1 is a fantastic adventure game with a fun cop/serial killer story that you could compare to something like Seven.

Post Mortem is styled totally differently (it's first person screen-to-screen, whereas Still Life is third person like Syberia), but is the prequel and deals with one of the characters of Still LIfe 1. It's nice backstory and a pretty decent adventure game, but definitely dated and nothing essential storywise to the Still Life games.

Still Life 2 is a mess, buggy, has terrible puzzles, and ties up only the most obvious loose end from the first game in a mostly unsatisfying way (It's otherwise a fully new story, which starts out great and wears out its welcome by halfway through.) It has some great CG cutscenes, though.

Still Life > Post Mortem > Still Life 2.

But if you're into one you'll probably play them all, because it's a story thing, and they're adventure games so they aren't that long. Still LIfe 2 is, to be fair, way longer than it needs to be, though.

Yeah, passing on Recettear knowing they were willing to go 80% off.

That said, GLITCH on Rising Storm!

75% off when it is supposed to only be 50% off (according to the graphic).

Got a 4 pack and the digital deluxe upgrade for $2.50.

Looks like the entire Tripwire Interactive Bundle is 75% off as well, bringing it down to $24.99. Is that supposed to be the case?

Thanks. Snagged the Deluxe for a friend who's been wanting it.

It's not a glitch, it's a loyalty discount. 25% (loyalty discount for owning RO2) + 50%.

Zeno Clash 2 @ 60% off... I think that was 50% off during the summer sale.  So weird... so Steam sets lower discounts on Recettear and Conquistador's after summer sale, but higher discount on Zeno Clash 2?  

I am considering that Tripwire bundle... I still haven't played Killing Floor yet but I know many CAGs love it...

Did you get stuck somewhere and keep dying? I would figure by the seven hour mark you would be close to or finished with the first playthrough.
Whoops, I was confused. I think I got to chapter seven. According to Steam I only logged three hours. That sounds right.

Hearts of Iron III and Lords of Football have cards now.

EDIT: Zeno Clash 2 also has cards.
Thanks for the heads up. Does anybody know why Steam Achievement Manager appears not to support certain games? I don't really feel like installing HOI on my family's computer just to idle cards today.

Whoops, I was confused. I think I got to chapter seven. According to Steam I only logged three hours. That sounds right.

Thanks for the heads up. Does anybody know why Steam Achievement Manager appears not to support certain games? I don't really feel like installing HOI on my family's computer just to idle cards today.
You have to manually add some games. Find the app ID and put it in the add game box at the top.

Kudos to Tripwire for offering Rising Storm at $4.99 after I have suffered through their numerous issues the past year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back