CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
New Thread:

This thread has been replaced by TSDT v11 :wave:

Daily Deal:
Please check the Steam homepage.

Weeklong Deals:
Steam usually has week-long deals that change on Mondays at 6PM UTC. They mostly feature indie games, and may not run every week.

Sale summary lists:

Key:
⤷ indicates DLC, — specifies part of a pack, + shows alternative versions, ⚠ highlights things worth knowing, ♫ is obvious, and ... denotes a multi-pack.

Holiday Sale 2013 | 19/12/13 through 3/1/14:
Days 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-14.

Spring/Autumn Sale 2013 | 27/11/13 through 3/12/13:
All days.

Steam deals on other stores: (Related threads on CAG.)

Indie* bundle threads: (*Not always indie, nor always a bundle.)

Free stuff:
There are quite a few free games (mostly Free to Play) and mods available via the Steam platform, a comprehensive list of which can be found in this thread on the SPUF.
(NOTE: free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.)

Past Steam Deals Threads:

Last edited by a moderator:
It definitely did help, thank you :)

I think starting on Normal was where I went wrong. There's only so much you can achieve with the early character(s) and items.

As I mentioned above, there's a warning when you select Easy mode which says something like "Progress will not be saved" so I assumed it was more like a practice mode or something. I was a little surprised to find out that I could unlock stuff.
I thought the same as well so I avoided Easy. I had no idea you could unlock things on Easy. It almost seemed like the devs went out of their way make you not want to use the Easy mode.

Also I kind of feel like games should do away with using the word "Easy". A lot of people won't use it because of that word. You might as well call it Pantywaste mode. ;) I've seen games call it "normal" (and bump the rest up a notch) or even "adventure mode". There's also "casual" but that has negative connotations outside of Facebook and Big Fish I think. :lol:

The whole thing is silly psychological stuff, like labeling clothing smaller than it really is to make people feel smaller and want to buy it, but it would get more people playing that mode and I think more people enjoying the game ultimately instead of complaining it was too hard. I've seen other games where people complained it was too hard and when questioned if they played on Easy they said no and acted almost offended.

Funny thing is I normally got no shame about playing on Easy myself but the whole 'doesn't save your progress' thing with RoR made me feel like what's the point.

I agree with the descriptions thing. RoR would be better described as Normal/Hard/Hardcore or something, calling the entry level "Easy" is kinda misleading.

For the record, I've beaten FTL a handful of times on Pantywaste mode, but have never come close on Normal (FTL only has two difficulties). It didn't affect my sense of achievement in the slightest.

:whee:

Agree on Nexus Mod Manager. Not so much on SkyUI. I'm a pretty light modder, and the last time I looked at SkyUI, it involved faffing about with installing other files just so you could run it. I stuck with the unofficial patches and Interesting NPCs (and I probably could have skipped that one).
And that 5 minutes of work will save you hundreds of minutes in game. SkyUI is a must have for Skyrim, regardless of if you play with a kb+m or a controller. I just can't imagine playing the game without it any more.

And that 5 minutes of work will save you hundreds of minutes in game. SkyUI is a must have for Skyrim, regardless of if you play with a kb+m or a controller. I just can't imagine playing the game without it any more.
SkyUI is the only 100% needed mod out there, until there is a better UI mod available. Sure it needs SKSE, but that takes a minute to install (there is an installer) and you can even use the workshop to install SkyUI instead of the terrible nexus site. You'll never go back.

I thought the same as well so I avoided Easy. I had no idea you could unlock things on Easy. It almost seemed like the devs went out of their way make you not want to use the Easy mode.

Also I kind of feel like games should do away with using the word "Easy". A lot of people won't use it because of that word. You might as well call it Pantywaste mode. ;) I've seen games call it "normal" (and bump the rest up a notch) or even "adventure mode". There's also "casual" but that has negative connotations outside of Facebook and Big Fish I think. :lol:

The whole thing is silly psychological stuff, like labeling clothing smaller than it really is to make people feel smaller and want to buy it, but it would get more people playing that mode and I think more people enjoying the game ultimately instead of complaining it was too hard. I've seen other games where people complained it was too hard and when questioned if they played on Easy they said no and acted almost offended.

Funny thing is I normally got no shame about playing on Easy myself but the whole 'doesn't save your progress' thing with RoR made me feel like what's the point.
I almost always start a game on easy as I kind-of suck, especially on fps. I would rather make progress in a game and feel like I actually got to play it rather than die every 5 seconds just trying to walk away from the starting point in the first level.

How to survive is better than Lost Planet
See above for the definition of "Damning with faint praise".

Also, a review: How to survive kinda sucks. I did get my two fiddy out of it doe......but I didn't really have a lot of fun doing it....and I don't really want to go back to continue playing it...I'm sure this helps everyone....

Another review: Ass Creed IV is better than "How To Survive".

See above for the definition of "Damning with faint praise".

Also, a review: How to survive kinda sucks. I did get my two fiddy out of it doe......but I didn't really have a lot of fun doing it....and I don't really want to go back to continue playing it...I'm sure this helps everyone....

Another review: Ass Creed IV is better than "How To Survive".
Lost Planet is better than this review.

SkyUI is the only 100% needed mod out there, until there is a better UI mod available. Sure it needs SKSE, but that takes a minute to install (there is an installer) and you can even use the workshop to install SkyUI instead of the terrible nexus site. You'll never go back.
In addition to also recommending Skyui, I would also like to comment that Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE) is a small file that is not resource intensive, easy to install and run and absolutely safe. There's a number of mods that use it, not just SkyUI.

The script extenders have been around since the Morrowind days and they really are a godsend to the modding community because it lets modders overcome shortcomings of the games and let them do things they otherwise would not be able to do with out accessing Bethesda's tools or modifying the game exe.

If someone doesn't want to use it that's completely their choice so not meaning to browbeat anyone here. I knew people who just wanted a pure vanilla experience in ES, which I never understood because there were always things I found wrong and wanted to tinker with, but hey to each his own.

I guess I just wanted to put it out there that in the grand scheme of things SKSE really doesn't take much effort, it's a great lightweight program and if you end up trying out other mods you'll probably run into something else that needs it sooner or later, not just SkyUI, which itself is a good mod.

Hm. Okay, I may have to try it, then.

Easy modes are for wussies =P

I agree with the descriptions thing. RoR would be better described as Normal/Hard/Hardcore or something, calling the entry level "Easy" is kinda misleading.

For the record, I've beaten FTL a handful of times on Pantywaste mode, but have never come close on Normal (FTL only has two difficulties). It didn't affect my sense of achievement in the slightest.

:whee:
It should have =P

Steam was telling me Feb. 11 2014 now it just says the games original release date of 1995. I don't get it steam being steam i guess. Edit: Ugh I fail to perceive the sarcasm font again. Edit, Edit: Oh what the hell!
That's fine the sarcasm font was there for the benefit of others -- so they'd just think I was joking with you. I knew however you'd know that I meant exactly what I wrote... congrats, your "just released" comment lies got more traction than my "it was released on steam 6 months ago" comment. How does that make you feel?

That's fine the sarcasm font was there for the benefit of others -- so they'd just think I was joking with you. I knew however you'd know that I meant exactly what I wrote... congrats, your "just released" comment lies got more traction than my "it was released on steam 6 months ago" comment. How does that make you feel?
Hungry. Now I need to go grab a burger or something.

I'm afraid to ask about the wheat in the bun, or the lettuce, or tomato.
Too grim to speak of. To this day I still get night terrors. I wake up screaming CEASAR SALAD. By the way why is there nothing but blank space between "the" and "in the bun"?

Last edited:
so what does everyone think about steam putting recently updated games on the storefront? will a game adding a new mode or fixing some bugs make you more inclined to purchase it? i know this is cag so it won't trump sale price, but still would be interesting to see some data on this...

so what does everyone think about steam putting recently updated games on the storefront? will a game adding a new mode or fixing some bugs make you more inclined to purchase it? i know this is cag so it won't trump sale price, but still would be interesting to see some data on this...
I don't know how to answer that honestly. I only really buy games that look good or fun to me or ones that have an interesting concept. If the game wasn't already on my radar I don't think knowing it now has one extra level than before or that it will crash less will suddenly make me care. Of course I've been wrong about my own thoughts at least once before.

That conversation is so days ago... we've moved on.

It's better than seeing 6 featured games I already own. To me, the true added benefit is seeing if a backlogged game got an interesting update to make me check it out.

NASCAR 4 if you want a cheap version, NASCAR SEASON 2002 if you want to spend a little bit more, NASCAR SEASON 2003 if money is no object to good gaming.

And, yes, I realize none of those are modern titles but you did specify that the game be good... and those old Papyrus titles still lap the EA titles.

Edit: NASCAR 4, maybe the others too, where DOS titles so expect some hoops to be jumped through to get them working on a modern system.
SUPER!!! Thanks for the info! I have no qualms getting in the Delorean to travel back in time for some good gaming depending on price. I forgot it was Papyrus who made them. As for the hoops, I've been making stuff work since the 1990s. Cheers!

Ok, I think I'm finally ready to talk to you all about Risk of Rain, which I've been simultaneously enjoying and hating for the past month.

It's a platforming shoot-em-up with rogue like elements. I think. I don't care for descriptions but I know that sentence will really piss somebody off. :whee:

It follows the trend of Binding of Isaac in that items and characters are gradually unlocked through achievements and multiple playthroughs. For some reason, this stuff really appeals to me. At first I unlocked a far few items and a new character class and all was going well. Then I'd consistently get to third level and die before I could finish it (it was made more frustrating as the second unlockable character class - the bandit - is a reward for beating level 3). I hit this progress wall for a couple of weeks and fell out of love with RoR.

Then I see forum regular and all-round-good-chap DrSasquatch* post a screenshot showing his progress. He'd collected WAY more than me. How so?

It turns out that, despite a Big Red Warning saying "Progress Will Not Be Saved", on the Easy game mode you can indeed unlock stuff. Characters, items, achievements, the lot.

I played my first game on Easy last night (I'd previously been failing on Normal mode) and I made it to the final level. On the way I got further than I'd ever been, unlocked four new items, and two new characters. Is this the way to play the game? Or do I just fail massively? No idea.

In short, it's hardhardhard (for me) but I enjoy it. There's a couple of mechanics to be aware of though;

1) time. Every five minutes you spend playing increases the difficulty a notch. This means monsters spawn more often and are harder to kill. After 70 minutes last night things were spawning so fast I couldn't deal with them in time and I was overwhelmed.

2) scale. Your character is tiny. Like, six pixels high. At first this really annoyed me but in retrospect it's a clear design choice - it makes you feel like a tiny little man running away from these giant beasts. (You can also fix the resolution to make the screen bigger than 640x400 or whatever it defaults to).

It isn't a perfect game but it's enjoyable and a challenge. Look out or a sale/bundle. This one could be around for a while (I gather it's popular on Twitch?). There's also co-op multiplayer but I haven't tried that yet as it's a bit faffy and doesn't offer a game-matching facility.

* - this doesn't mean to suggest that DrS played on Easy all the way through, I mean that it made me think I was doing something "wrong"
I also really enjoyed RoR, though I think the classes are terribly imbalanced. Melee characters are fun but mostly useless on hard and even later normal levels. Enforcer's slow walk speed is a huge handicap for later levels since enemies scale so quickly on hard and even later normal stages. Bandit isn't bad but gives me carpal tunnel and 2 of his abilities don't have great synergy. Engineer is ok at first but his drones don't scale well compared to difficulty and enemy damage. Sniper is good for bosses but his DPS doesn't scale well with items.

So in the end, that leaves you with Commando (which surprisingly becomes incredibly awesome as you unlock the crazy items), Huntress (strafing is just too useful) and Acrid (melee but with incredibly powerful ranged abilities). I hope the developer improves the balance so the other classes are more viable at higher difficulties.

Also, I think RoR shines the most when playing with friends. I had fun playing solo, but it became a blast when playing with others. This is an area where better class viability will improve group enjoyment.

Ok, I think I'm finally ready to talk to you all about Risk of Rain, which I've been simultaneously enjoying and hating for the past month.

It's a platforming shoot-em-up with rogue like elements. I think. I don't care for descriptions but I know that sentence will really piss somebody off. :whee:

It follows the trend of Binding of Isaac in that items and characters are gradually unlocked through achievements and multiple playthroughs. For some reason, this stuff really appeals to me. At first I unlocked a far few items and a new character class and all was going well. Then I'd consistently get to third level and die before I could finish it (it was made more frustrating as the second unlockable character class - the bandit - is a reward for beating level 3). I hit this progress wall for a couple of weeks and fell out of love with RoR.

Then I see forum regular and all-round-good-chap DrSasquatch* post a screenshot showing his progress. He'd collected WAY more than me. How so?

-----

* - this doesn't mean to suggest that DrS played on Easy all the way through, I mean that it made me think I was doing something "wrong"
I probably would have posted about this game earlier, but every time I start to think about it, I want to play it more. It does start off very hard. Like a lot of these games, learning the enemies and your own items will help you a lot.

I felt pretty much the way you feel after failing to make any progress for a couple of weeks. Then I knocked the difficulty down a notch and instantly it became rewarding again. I'd really recommend trying it on Easy, you might find yourself enjoying it.

Or not. It's challenging bordering on too-hard in places. I can see why people are turned off by it.
I played a few times on easy. You can't get the monster logs on easy, though, and the Huntress, which you unlock with 15 monster logs, is my favorite character in the game. She basically has the attacks of the first guy, except she can shoot all of her abilities on the move.

I really enjoy Risk of Rain it was definitely a sleeper hit for me. The way I played initially was on easy mode to unlock some of the items and other characters. Once I unlocked about half the items I started playing on normal as only some items and characters can be unlocked on that mode. The more items you open the more you get to use throughout the game which helps you stay alive on the harder difficulties. There are also areas where you can farm items (boar beach). I haven't played the co-op for the game but I have heard you can also unlock items there which might help if you are having trouble beating the game. I've beaten the game about 6 times on normal and still have about 15-20 items to unlock and a few characters. The hardest difficulty is very punishing so until I unlock more items I think I'll stay on normal. I hope this helped you in some way.
Playing co-op is a lot of fun, but sometimes my co-op partner will get awesome items and I will be all, "Damn, I wanted that!" A bunch of the items actually work for both players, though, and getting to the teleport faster is always nice.

There are a few things you can't get on easy, but you can unlock the majority of the items and characters on easy.

Now I am going to play some more!

I actually think this is a pretty good sale by Capcom.  There have been many times where I was upset that a base game (that I already owned) was on sale but the DLC was still full price.  They probably did this because when the base game is on sale, it's not always immediately obvious whether the DLC will be on sale or not.  I don't really think this is that underhanded by them, but whatever.

I snagged the Remember Me Combo Lab DLC for a buck :)

3e3.jpg

I want DMC, I want Lost Planet, I want Resident Evil...But seriously, only DLC sale?

So I was just looking at the list of specials sorted by price and I see that a bunch of you have Space Trader Merchant Marine (on sale for 50 cents).  Why don't I have STMM?  I feel like I should but I don't.  Did everyone get this from the Groupees Meridian bundles?

So I was just looking at the list of specials sorted by price and I see that a bunch of you have Space Trader Merchant Marine (on sale for 50 cents). Why don't I have STMM? I feel like I should but I don't. Did everyone get this from the Groupees Meridian bundles?
That's how I got mine.. from Groupees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back