The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

[quote name='halfbent']Anyone know if Chaos Rising is available to activate through Steam with a retail cd-key?[/QUOTE]

I'd say to assume so for a few reasons. DoW2 can be activated through steam and CR is able to be played with people that don't have it and just have DoW2, also from what I read CR installs itself into the DoW2 directory as well.

Is the new UI worth checking out? Just wondering if it's relatively bug free and informative about connection status with downloads. For the latter, I find Steam to be a bit wonky...sometimes it just says "Download Starting" forever...

Idk, the new UI ran real sluggish for me, and some other people. Meanwhile other people didn't have the problem. I'm currently on the old one now.

[quote name='KaOTiK']I'd say to assume so for a few reasons. DoW2 can be activated through steam and CR is able to be played with people that don't have it and just have DoW2, also from what I read CR installs itself into the DoW2 directory as well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's what I figured, but Steam is so odd on what it allows for retail>steam conversion I figured I'd ask before I plunked down the $30 credit I still have after giving Gamestop all my extra accesories that were collecting dust. =P

Just a followup; the retail key definitely activates with Steam. Here's maybe an oddball question now tho. Can I share the DoW2 key like I can my Fallout 3 key and have two people on live at the same time playing the game? When I activated with Steam, it now displays a completely new cd key is why I was curious.

[quote name='halfbent']Just a followup; the retail key definitely activates with Steam. Here's maybe an oddball question now tho. Can I share the DoW2 key like I can my Fallout 3 key and have two people on live at the same time playing the game? When I activated with Steam, it now displays a completely new cd key is why I was curious.[/QUOTE]

Tell your cheap friends to go buy it :p

[quote name='KaOTiK']Tell your cheap friends to go buy it :p[/QUOTE]

+1

You can of course try it yourself, there's probably no real consequences to trying the scam

It was more me giving it to someone else to play. The friend I called at gamestop sold to me over the phone with my giftcard and gave me the key. I told him to take the game and try it himself. =P

[quote name='halfbent']It was more me giving it to someone else to play. The friend I called at gamestop sold to me over the phone with my giftcard and gave me the key. I told him to take the game and try it himself. =P[/QUOTE]

It won't work. Installation requires activating the CD-key to a Steam account, and this activation is permanent, and limited to one account.

And they ended with a thud, Arkham and Just cause at 50% off, get both for 60% off and FF11 online complete for 7.50...

zcVhZ.png

What is this about using the Fallout 3 key? I know it doesn't work on Steam, but if it does, someone let me know.

Incidentally, does anyone remember when PC games had "hint books" instead of strategy guides? They came with a little red film strip which you laid over the scrambled text to read it. You could get a small hint, medium hint, or an outright spoiler.

I loved those damn hintbooks, even after they stopped using the red strip. I never cared about spoilers as a kid, though, sadly, and just brought the hint books to school and read them joyously, excited to go home and play my face off.

Nostalgia is such a funny thing. I know at least someone here will feel me...

Jesse, it doesn't work, but Fallout 3 and Gears of War the retail versions can have their cd-keys used multiple times. I shared mine with my brother, and we were both on live (and playing together in Gears case) with the same key.

[quote name='scarhawk']Meh. Today's deals aren't too good and they're mainly on games that have been on sale in the past.[/QUOTE]

Considering the whole Eidos collection has been on sale at an incredible price, it's very unsurprising they would have smaller bundles at comparable or better prices.

sorry to beat what I"m sure is a dead horse, but yet another opportunity to get into FFXI, I'm wondering if it's "worth it" to get into this still? $7.50 doesn't seem bad...wondering if FFXI is still one of the most grindy games, and if it's at all accessible to play starting up 5+ (or more, forget when it was released) years from release.

[quote name='VGmnk']sorry to beat what I"m sure is a dead horse, but yet another opportunity to get into FFXI, I'm wondering if it's "worth it" to get into this still? $7.50 doesn't seem bad...wondering if FFXI is still one of the most grindy games, and if it's at all accessible to play starting up 5+ (or more, forget when it was released) years from release.[/QUOTE]

You know you can hit their forums and ask some of the newbie sections to send you a invite and get the game for free with no purchase.

[quote name='VGmnk']sorry to beat what I"m sure is a dead horse, but yet another opportunity to get into FFXI, I'm wondering if it's "worth it" to get into this still? $7.50 doesn't seem bad...wondering if FFXI is still one of the most grindy games, and if it's at all accessible to play starting up 5+ (or more, forget when it was released) years from release.[/QUOTE]

Just use the free trial to see if you like it. I wouldn't mind going back to it if they changed it so you can solo all the way to max level, but I am pretty sure it's still the same group-fest that it was at release.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Sniper Elite is $2 for the week, any comments on it?[/QUOTE]

I personally loved this game but sniper games like this are right up my alley. I have a boxed copy in storage so I may bite to play again and see if it holds up.

By the way guys, Shattered Horizon is running a contest. Meet certain ingame criteria and be entered to win PC gear. This is the last week of the contest running unfortunately (I just caught wind of this) so if you're interested, get the requirments done by the 22nd.

Here's a bunch of games that I can confirm (not guess; confirm) are coming to Steam at some point in the future, but that aren't listed in the "Coming Soon" tab on the Steam storefront yet. I've added some links to relevant sites for some of the lesser-known games on this list:
- Alien Breed Evolution (has Steamworks features; also, this may be renamed to "Alien Breed Impact")
- Axel and Pixel
- Bloody Good Time (this is the sequel to The Ship, from the same developer, and published by Ubisoft)
- Coniclysm
- Descent: FreeSpace - The Great War
- Freespace 2
- Fallout: New Vegas
- Final Fantasy VII
- Final Fantasy VIII
- Fortix
- Front Mission Evolved
- Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West (has Steamworks features)
- MLB 2K10
- Mole Control
- Moon Base Alpha (the NASA mmo)
- Natural Selection 2
- Overgrowth
- PAC-MAN (unknown what version of the game this will be)
- Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
- Professor FizzWhizzle and the Molten Mystery
- Pulse
- Rocket Knight (has Steamworks features)
- SAW 2 (this sequel isn't even announced at all, if I'm not mistaken)
- Saira
- Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (has Steamworks features)
- The Legends of Arkanoid (these guys don't seem to have legally licensed the name "Arkanoid" from Taito/Square-Enix, so, I don't know why they haven't been sued yet)
- The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
- The Oddbox (this is a collection of all four Oddworld games; this will be the first time that Munch's Oddysee and Stranger's Wrath will be available on PC)
- Worms Reloaded (has Steamworks features)

And here's a bunch more crap that should be on the way, as well. This section includes a bunch of casual games (Diner Dash, hidden item games, that kind of thing), as well as a few oddities: some of these games were SUPPOSED to come out on Steam already, but for one reason or another, haven't, and possibly never will (for instance, Neverwinter Nights 2, which is caught up in licensing hell, and Equinox, which seems to have died mid-development, and Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault and The Lord of the Rings Online, which simply aren't up, for reasons totally unknown). Spoiler'd because long list is loooooooooong:
1nsane
2XL Supercross
A Vampyre Story
Achtung Panzer Kharkov 1943
Atlantis Sky Patrol
Azada
Babblix
Beat Hazard
Cesar Millan's Dog Whisperer
Crashday
Dark Fall Lost Souls
Dimensity
DinerTown Detective Agency
Elements
Equinox
Europa 1400: The Guild - Gold Edition
Faerie Solitaire
Fairway Solitaire
Fitness Dash
Flotilla
Fluttabyes
Garden Defense
Gemini Lost
GridBuster
Hazen: The Dark Whispers
Hidden Expedition Amazon
Hidden Expedition Everest
Hidden Expedition Titanic
Hotel Dash
Ironclads American Civil War
Ironclads High Seas
Jo Jo's Fashion Show
Jo Jo's Fashion Show 2
KrissX
Mahjong Roadshow
Mahjong Towers Eternity
Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault
My Tribe
Mystery Case Files: Huntsville
Mystery Case Files: Madame Fate
Mystery Case Files: Prime Suspects
Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst
Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst
Neverwinter Nights 2
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
NightShift Legacy
Nightshift Code
Panzer Killer
Parking Dash
Patrician III
Prisoner of War
Rise of Nations Gold
Sensible Soccer 2006
Simplz Zoo
SpongeBob SquarePants: Nighty Nightmares
StoneLoops
Stronghold
Stronghold 2
Stronghold Crusader + Extreme
Stronghold Legends
The Lord of the Rings Online
The Scourge Project
Trijinx
Unwell Mel
Valerie Porter
Xylophone

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CoffeeEdge']The Ship, from the same developer[/QUOTE]
:applause:

[quote name='CoffeeEdge'] and published by Ubisoft[/I])[/QUOTE]
:bomb:

Do they apply their silly phone home DRM if they're only the publisher?

Aside from that, kick ass list. In for a few of those if the price is right.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
- Final Fantasy VII
- Final Fantasy VIII
[/QUOTE]

Definite buys right there, assuming $10 like the PSN versions.

Some stuff on there I'm really interested in! Tho... I forgot already which. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, for one. Never got a chance to play that as I never had an Xbox and it doesn't work on the 360's crappy backward compatibility (or lack there of).

My guess is that he just put the games in a list. I know that at least Worms and Lead & Gold was confirmed by the dev's in some statement and/or video.

Anyway I might get worms, oddbox and lead & gold if the prices aint to high. I hope that the new worms is just more then a digital version of worms: armageddon which I already own... but on CD and i'm to lazy to plug in the DVD player again...

Always thought the abe games looked so cool but i sucked at them when i was a kid so perhaps I might do better, I think i only played abes Oddysee or was it Exoddus... oh well im looking forward to grab the oddbox.

And lead & gold... I just wanna try that out since the dev's are swedes :p

[quote name='dfg']Cool. How did you confirm? A little bit of an inside job, nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more, say no more?[/QUOTE]
Some of them are games I was already following via their own websites or news releases, where the developers officially announced that they'd be on Steam (Overgrowth, Natural Selection 2, Rocket Knight, Pulse, The Oddbox, Alien Breed, Worms Reloaded, etc). So, anyone who just happened to be keeping up with those games would have seen the announcements. As for the dozens of others...yeah, sorry, it's "say no more."

Just in case anyone was doubting the validity of my list...notice how Saira, one of the games I listed, went live on Steam just a few minutes ago? Check the game's official site: there is no mention of a Steam release (as of the time of this post), nor is there any early mention of a Steam release anywhere else on the internet (well, until now, of course).

[quote name='freddy_']My guess is that he just put the games in a list.[/quote]
Hmm? Well, like I said, it's a legit list. See the note about Saira directly above.

And lead & gold... I just wanna try that out since the dev's are swedes :p
It should go into beta via Steam sometime in the next week or two.

Midweek madness is DAO for 33% off.

Great game, not so great deal, should have been at least 50% off to match what how much you can get it for retail now bah

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Hmm? Well, like I said, it's a legit list. See the note about Saira directly above.[/QUOTE]
It wasn't meant to make people doubt if the list was legit. I just meant that there wasnt any "insider" stuff just stuff thats already been confirmed and put into one list but seeing what you wrot about saira, i dunno.
Anyway it wasnt to make people doubt if the list is legit or not :)

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It should go into beta via Steam sometime in the next week or two.[/QUOTE]
Neat, I'll keep my eyes open for that.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It should go into beta via Steam sometime in the next week or two.[/QUOTE]

Will that be a buy-in like TF2 or a freebie like R.U.S.E.?

That EQ1 deal is sweet, that is still my fav MMO ever. $2.50 for it and all the expansions? Yes please! Only downside can't get the free 30 days on my old account, that's ok though, I'll just make a new one hehe

If anyone else is planning on picking up EQ1, I will likely be for $2.50. I'll probably just play casually, but it'd be nice to have some folks to group with. I traditionally play healing classes (I've played Cleric and Monks in EQ in the past), and will likely go for a hybrid healer like a druid or shaman this time.

I coulda swore I read/heard somewhere that Blur will be on Steam. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that? Google didn't really help.

[quote name='Spyder187']Is there a fee to play EQ1 online still or did they make that one free yet? if its free to play online ill hit it up.[/QUOTE]

No still has the $14.99 sub rate to it, though the first month is free at least with this $2.50 pack.

[quote name='Spyder187']Is there a fee to play EQ1 online still or did they make that one free yet? if its free to play online ill hit it up.[/QUOTE]

If you can find an old PC Gamer disc that had a version of it that had a free trial...that's the only way I know to play the game 100% for 30 days.

That was how I played it years ago.

[quote name='lordwow']If anyone else is planning on picking up EQ1, I will likely be for $2.50. I'll probably just play casually, but it'd be nice to have some folks to group with. I traditionally play healing classes (I've played Cleric and Monks in EQ in the past), and will likely go for a hybrid healer like a druid or shaman this time.[/QUOTE]

I already picked this up at the Christmas sale when it was $5. Its just been sitting there ever since. If a few of you guys are picking it up and playing it then id be interested in playing. Just message me if some of you are looking to play, I havnt activated it yet and dont want to till I find someone to play with that way my 30 free days dont start ticking down. Id love to create a char that we only play with each other.

heh, eq1 players: sounds like you guys almost have a full party....tempted to play this again now, as well....
Bought the some kind of platinum pack years ago, but transitioning back from WoW (what I played at the time) to EQ, I couldn't even remember how to play my monk....
It wasn't the graphics that put me off, it was the difficulty of controlling the game that did....I wondered how I played it so many years ago.

Ya, I would like to play a character with everyone else. We should probably work out what area of the world we want to start in? It's kind of a pain to get across the world (at least it was when I played) at an early level. Any thoughts? I think playing on the good side is generally easier.

[quote name='craven_fiend']I may pick up the EQ pack, even if it's only for the month of playing.[/QUOTE]

I wish I could pick up a second copy! Like I said I bought one during the $5 sale for that very reason. Every few months I get the urge for an MMO and I buy a new copy of EQ, WoW or EQ2 for $10-$15 then jump back in just to be bored in 2 weeks since I tend to solo(since I dont have friends that play). Buying a copy at $5 just meant next time I get the itch I could meet it for a lot less.

heh, can't say I know the races all that well, but when I last played *waaay* back when (played from start/classic through PoP) humans had the most class options

bread's done
Back