The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

Haha, you and your Gridrunner Revolution! I should probably try the damn thing if you like it that much instead of just saying I don't like grid-running (Is that the x/y coordinate plane?) or revolving (you say you want a revolution? weeeeeell, you know...).

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Just got finished with all 5 campaigns of L4D2, I'm still incredulous that this game only took them a year to make.[/QUOTE]

I saw Valve underlings at the crossroads at midnight.

I'm still enjoying Altitude from that Steam sale a while back ($2).

It's really, really fun if you want something completely different from the norm. It takes FPS-like stuff into 2D airplanes.

Oh, and I just realized Mount & Blade CD keys are now Steam-able, hooray! Now I can add my Direct2Drive-purchase into my Steam account.

Now, if they only did this for games like Crayon Physics Deluxe, Aaaa! A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, And Yet it Moves, and Aquaria (basically games I bought in D2D from a past sale), it would be great.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']
I bought Sanitarium and Longest Journey, too. Sometimes I prefer GoG for older games, because they make sure the damn things work. Sometimes Steam is flaky about that.
[/QUOTE]

Not always.

Divine Divinity was horribly bugged (to the point of it crashing frequently and being unplayable) upon release, but the developers later fixed it... while GOG kept selling a game they *knew* was a broken mess in the months it took for a patch to come out.

Likewise, Interstate 76 is still broken, only fixable involving third party CPU limiters and fans on GOG's forums.

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/interstate_76_arsenal/contacted_gog_support

I guess GOG finished it, but some people even have problems finishing the first mission since Taurus drives like he's drunk and won't go at the correct speed. Likewise, flamethrowers and mortars are unusable because of the frame rate, so maybe GOG just never tested that because everything has had that problem.

I like GOG for the most part, but the reputation they have of "making sure the games work" is really hit or miss lately. Steam, imo, gets a pass because they are making no such claims about fixing up old titles, that is on the developer / publishers part, while GOG claims loudly all of their games should work no problem. I guess I got unlucky and have bought two games from GOG now, that I highly anticipated since the site arrived, that were not as advertised.

I make sure to give each game at least a week to see if it works as advertised and if people are having a problem.

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/gog_games_missing_content_incomplete_etc

Here is a thread on GOG's forums with incomplete / broken games. I know this is the Steam thread, but I figured I could help enlighten some people because I know a few people who choose GOG over Steam simply because of the claim they make it work, and it's not always the case.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Bah, Torchlight 75% off for weekend deal so $5. Great game at great price but have it already.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I noticed you post on the Steam forums a few times! Read a post and said, "That name looks familiar..."

[quote name='kilm']Hey, I noticed you post on the Steam forums a few times! Read a post and said, "That name looks familiar..."[/QUOTE]

hehe yeah, I post there sometimes when I have the time and am bored

you can usually go to the general forum once a week and it is the same topics just reworded since no one searches haha

Have to see what GOG has this weekend. They just got Syberia on there and signed Atari on and their games will be coming on in April it says so that is cool.

Gah, every time I click Install Demo (for anything) nothing happens. I'm pretty sure it was working before, is there a solution to this? I'd tried reinstalling steam, but last time I did that it deleted all my saves.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Gah, every time I click Install Demo (for anything) nothing happens. I'm pretty sure it was working before, is there a solution to this? I'd tried reinstalling steam, but last time I did that it deleted all my saves.[/QUOTE]

I find that usually restarting Steam fixes that.

Nope that doesnt work, I find this is the only thing that works for me. Here it is if someone else has the problem:
Original post explains my problem with that, anyways I found a way around this. Thanks to PhyreFal for the fix.

"This isn't pretty, but it works.

I don't know what the problem is, or why is doesn't work even after all the registry editing etc, but this method works for me 100% of the time now.

After looking around for some time for an answer to the same problem, I did some research and testing and worked this out.

When installing/downloading something from steam, right-click on the "Install" or "Download" button and click on "Properties" from the pop up menu.

Copy the "URL Address" (usually looks like "steam://install/xxxxx")

Goto "Start" (windows button for Vista) in the bottom left corner of your screen, then click on "Run ..."

From the prompt box that pops up, click on "Browse" and find your "steam.exe" (normally in C:\program files\Steam folder), select it and click "OK".

You should now see the "Run..." pompt box with "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" in the line. Paste in the URL you copied before AFTER that.

So you should see;
"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe"steam://install/xxxxx

Now click "OK" and start downloading and playing your games!

I know its not pretty, but this is pretty much the only way I can download demos, gift passes, games etc. But it works.

Let me know if you have any problems."

Midweek sale is up, Quake 1-3+ expansions 50% off, there's a pack with them all for $14.99
Meh imo especially since the iD pack was on sale during the holidays for $23

Also, AI Wars Fleet Command + expansion are on sale for 50% off for the week.

I really recommend AI Wars, there is a demo on Steam so give it a shot to see if it is your cup of tea.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Have any of you heard an exact release date for the Mac version of steam?[/QUOTE]

They haven't said anything more specific than "April."

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Gah, every time I click Install Demo (for anything) nothing happens. I'm pretty sure it was working before, is there a solution to this? I'd tried reinstalling steam, but last time I did that it deleted all my saves.[/QUOTE]

Came across the same problem a few months back. What prevented me from installing anything was due to one of the game/applications exe. running in compatibility mode, or something like that. Check your steam app folders and see if there is something out of whack with your installed game, or with the Steam.exe file.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Damn, I think I'll have to do Boarderlands if I can get in on a 4pack[/QUOTE]

If you can wait to play it, you might as well wait for a bundle pack with all the DLC included, especially the last one, General Knoxx.

[quote name='kilm']If you can wait to play it, you might as well wait for a bundle pack with all the DLC included, especially the last one, General Knoxx.[/QUOTE]

This this this a thousand times this. Their current asking price is more than all the DLC combined.

Also, totally bummed at no DLC sale. Would've picked up Knoxx for $5.

[quote name='kilm']If you can wait to play it, you might as well wait for a bundle pack with all the DLC included, especially the last one, General Knoxx.[/QUOTE]

This is what I am doing, though admittedly if I had more free time I would be really tempted at the price of a 4-pack.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Also, totally bummed at no DLC sale. Would've picked up Knoxx for $5.[/QUOTE]

Ditto to this. Been wanting to play Knoxx since it came out, but not for $10.

I'm kinda disappointed at the Borderlands price. Their normal price is $50? :( I got it for $20 when it first came out (which was a great deal, but I don't want to pay it again just to have it on Steam).

I'm hoping to get the inevitable "GotY!!!!WOW!!GOLD!" edition with all the DLC for $15 or less at the Christmas sale. :)

Yea, I don't much care about a GOTY edition because Zombie Island imo wasn't that strong (over too fast, not really that interesting, no new weapons) and I have zero interest in ever getting Moxxi after reading reviews.

So for me just getting Borderlands for $18.75 (as part of a 4 pack) and Knoxx for $10 is a great deal.

I do agree they should have knocked 50% off all the DLC, however, or even 33% like during the holiday sale.

When Gordon Freeman won IGN's "All Time Greatest Hero" contest Valve discounted the entire Half Life series by 55.8%.

So I'm guessing they'll do the same for The Escapists "March Madness". I kind of want 3 more copies of TF2. But I'd want it lower than $10.

[quote name='Clarke']When Gordon Freeman won IGN's "All Time Greatest Hero" contest Valve discounted the entire Half Life series by 55.8%.

So I'm guessing they'll do the same for The Escapists "March Madness". I kind of want 3 more copies of TF2. But I'd want it lower than $10.[/QUOTE]

3 more? Wtf?

Besides having them for a personal LAN, only other reason I can imagine is if you cheat and get VAC banned.

[quote name='KaOTiK']3 more? Wtf?

Besides having them for a personal LAN, only other reason I can imagine is if you cheat and get VAC banned.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that sounds super sketchy.

Unless you're using them for a personal LAN, buying them for friends, or just have a number of steam accounts on standby for your friends to use.

But if you ARE a hacker and want backup copies in case you get banned, then you suck.

Well I guess the big game of the week is Plain Sight. I played it a bit and it's pretty fun. It took me a while to get used to the lock on system though.

There weren't many games in play. The first one I joined just had bots playing but a few people joined after a while. Bots in online multiplayer kinda dilutes the experience. But I got the 4 pack so this should be fun in a LAN.

Bought Just Cause 2 today, demo ran fine like 3-4 times. Launched the game a couple of times for like 50 mins total game time, worked perfectly. I launch it again and now it lags like crazy on the start screen/menu and it wont load any game of mine.

So I don't know what is up, all I know is the game has bugs that many people are having.

[quote name='Mike UFC']Hmmm, and still no Midweek deal.[/QUOTE]

Rarely they have put it up on Wednesday and run a shortened deal.

Probably just nothing on tap this week. GoG is late on their release as well!

The speculation is that they're holding out for the results of the Escapist Magazine's developer showdown votes to do something big.

Or maybe something normal tomorrow and they're slow about it.

[quote name='kilm']The speculation is that they're holding out for the results of the Escapist Magazine's developer showdown votes to do something big.

Or maybe something normal tomorrow and they're slow about it.[/QUOTE]

Only thing that sucks about that is, I own everything from Valve that I want :p

I remember when Gordon Freeman won IGN's game hero thing and Steam had like 55% off all HL games.

So I was checking my account tab in the Steam client cause my friend had asked how much I paid for a certain game during the holiday sale, and what do I see on the very top?

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend - April 2010 (ROW) Complimentary

Right above the new extended RUSE Open Beta.

Looks like CoD MW2 is gonna have a free weekend, probably this weekend I imagine.

Not that I really give a shit cause even if the game was 50% off I still wont touch it due to no dedicated servers and BFBC2

If Valve is gonna do a Valve sale, I'd love TFC or the classic counter strike for dirt cheap. The only older game they have that they ever mark down is the original HL.

[quote name='KaOTiK']So I was checking my account tab in the Steam client cause my friend had asked how much I paid for a certain game during the holiday sale, and what do I see on the very top?

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend - April 2010 (ROW) Complimentary

Right above the new extended RUSE Open Beta.

Looks like CoD MW2 is gonna have a free weekend, probably this weekend I imagine.

Not that I really give a shit cause even if the game was 50% off I still wont touch it due to no dedicated servers and BFBC2[/QUOTE]

Yep, you were right. MW2 free weekend. I might give it a go for an hour or two. Then probably just go back to BC2.

yeah I put in like 18 hours of MW2 multiplayer but haven't gone back to it in a couple months.. BC2 all the way.. same story with CoD4 after BC1 came out on consoles =) I give into hype too easily

[quote name='kilm']The speculation is that they're holding out for the results of the Escapist Magazine's developer showdown votes to do something big.
.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully not.

Whenever Valve's own games are a midweek / weekend deal it's a huge disappointment for me, since I own them and they have been deals many weeks over.

Chances are you are right. Maybe Bioware will win then =/

[quote name='animalspinners']Hopefully not.

Whenever Valve's own games are a midweek / weekend deal it's a huge disappointment for me, since I own them and they have been deals many weeks over.

Chances are you are right. Maybe Bioware will win then =/[/QUOTE]

If they are waiting for the results and Bioware wins, in a best case scenario, maybe EA and 2k games will allow Steam to sell a Bioware collection for cheap! Better yet, Atari gets into the party and brings Neverwinter Nights to Steam! Oh, speculation abound!

I'm kind of dreading the free MW2 weekend. Forums are going to blow up with people screaming "OMFG WTF NO DEDICATED SERVERS FOR THIS $60 LAGGY POS LOL BC2 RULEZ" Before, they were just saying it out of anger and now, they'll have the experience with the game to say these things =.=. Nov 2009 all over again sigh.

[quote name='kilm']If they are waiting for the results and Bioware wins, in a best case scenario, maybe EA and 2k games will allow Steam to sell a Bioware collection for cheap! Better yet, Atari gets into the party and brings Neverwinter Nights to Steam! Oh, speculation abound!

I'm kind of dreading the free MW2 weekend. Forums are going to blow up with people screaming "OMFG WTF NO DEDICATED SERVERS FOR THIS $60 LAGGY POS LOL BC2 RULEZ" Before, they were just saying it out of anger and now, they'll have the experience with the game to say these things =.=. Nov 2009 all over again sigh.[/QUOTE]

Which is why you don't go to SPUF.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Which is why you don't go to SPUF.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Ever go to the TF2 forums after a class update or a regular update? Yeah, I don't anymore, that's for sure.

[quote name='kilm']
I'm kind of dreading the free MW2 weekend. Forums are going to blow up with people screaming "OMFG WTF NO DEDICATED SERVERS FOR THIS $60 LAGGY POS LOL BC2 RULEZ" Before, they were just saying it out of anger and now, they'll have the experience with the game to say these things =.=. Nov 2009 all over again sigh.[/QUOTE]

Yea, it's weird, because Activision and free don't really go together.

It makes me think that Activision is worried about losing the PC scene, since everyone raves about BC 2 and shits all over MW 2 (specifically on the PC). It's almost like Activision wants people to play and have the opposite reaction to what you said - "Hey, this isn't as bad as people said it was... I like it". I'm expecting a sale to go with it, and 50% makes sense.

That puts the game at $30, at which people on Steam go "Well, I like it, it's $20 cheaper than BC 2, AND it has a single player as well!". If you mark it 25% off, you're at $45, which won't push people into buying it. And remember, your average buyer on Steam isn't the brighest bulb - Settlers 7 is on the top 10 sellers for a few days now, despite it having horrible DRM and the fact that a ton of people *can't even play it due to said DRM*. So a cheaper MW 2 means they will jump on.

Even though the game is on the top 10 selling list for months now, that's the only reason I can think of that Activision will offer up a free weekend.

As for a Bioware sale, I have everything they offer on Steam, but it sure would be better than Valve's catalog as a weekend deal again. There used to be a list of all the weekend deals Steam has had on their forums, and I think TF 2 was a midweek / weekend deal something like 8 times in 2009, followed only by some HL games.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Oh Activision, you are too kind with your whopping 15% off MW2. How can I afford not to buy it?

Meanwhile at Amazon marketplace (Scroll down a bit)[/QUOTE]

$50.99? Is this some sort of fucking joke, Activision?

I honest to god laughed out loud when I saw the "discount" for MW2. Not only did I really lol I laughed hard and for a good minute or two.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Oh Activision, you are too kind with your whopping 15% off MW2. How can I afford not to buy it?

Meanwhile at Amazon marketplace (Scroll down a bit)[/QUOTE]

hahaha did you scroll down and read the actual seller info area, the second one at $25 Vince Video or whatever has this:

"CD-keys were stolen from snap case. Never been installed; just need CD-key!"

fucking gold!

bread's done
Back