The Thrift Store Thread 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Goodwill and almost crapped my pants (good place to be, though, on account of the cheap pants). They had complete copies of Res Evil 2 and Perfect Dark N64 for $3.99 each, but someone stole the carts from the boxes.

TONS of solid Genesis games (Mortal Kombat 1-3, NBA Jam and Jam TE, Kid Chameleon, Quackshot) all complete for $4.99 each.

That's one thing that really pisses me off about Goodwill, they leave the cases out unsealed for anyone to swipe what's inside. Found an AC/DC album I wanted, but there was no CD in the case because they're just tossed into a bin and left unprotected. Even one of the games in the glass case when I bought Evolution & SC was missing the game disc.

Last edited by a moderator:
JJSP, hope you offered them a quarter or two to take the empty cases. you can always find the games cart-only for cheap later on, and have a complete copy in no time.

I already have a RE2 cart from the classic plastic GC sale, which is why I was totally okay with taking just the boxes. ;)

[quote name='JJSP']I already have a RE2 cart from the classic plastic GC sale, which is why I was totally okay with taking just the boxes. ;)[/QUOTE]

did you tell them what you'd pay or did they offer a price? or did you just pay full price for them? my Goodwill will sell me bits and pieces like that, but i have to be aggressive with them or they won't sell them.

I saw a bunch of Bootleg CD's today at SA. Even the cover art was printed out from a computer. That was weird. Anyway snagged.....

Star Wars Rebel Assault (windows 98 - CIB) - $2
Bases Loaded (NES) - $1
Golf (NES) - $1
WWF the music volume 5 - $2
About Schmidt (VHS sealed) - $1

[quote name='BlueSwim']That's one thing that really pisses me off about Goodwill, they leave the cases out unsealed for anyone to swipe what's inside. Found an AC/DC album I wanted, but there was no CD in the case because they're just tossed into a bin and left unprotected. Even one of the games in the glass case when I bought Evolution & SC was missing the game disc.[/QUOTE]

man that sucks. the goodwill here puts all cds/dvds/games in a glass case and they leave the boxes out.

Went to Value Village today, which is always an experience. They had a copy of a 007 game (NOT Goldeneye) behind the glass case for $2, and a few PC games in with the CDs. I almost bought Risk and Risk 2 for $2 each, but I thought better of it.

Picked up Vegas Stakes for the Super Nintendo(cartridge appears mint) with the box(okay condition), manual(near-mint condition), an ad for Nintendo Power(mint) & a fold-out mini-poster for the Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past(mint) for $5. Haven't tested the game itself yet, but I will this evening.

Great Goodwill day-
NES-$4
2 Controllers-$4
Grey Zapper-$2
Rf adapter-$1
Dreamcast Controller-$3
Never opened soldering iron/ wood burning pen with tips-$6 (had a $20 walmart sticker crossed out)

Mr. Beer Deluxe Home Brewing Kit - $7.99
Kid Chameleon (Genesis) - $1.99
Smackdown vs Raw 2008 (360) - $9.99

Lately all I've found at my SA is some random CDs. Gaming wise they have a flood of Guitar Hero 3 for the 360 (game only). I'm thinking they'll have a few Wii Sports Resorts turn up within the next month or two since I vividly remember that happening with Wii Play.

Found a CIB Alpha Centauri for PC at the local Goodwill a few days ago for $4.06.

It comes with everything... big box, manual, tech tree, even all the original advertisements like "Coming Soon in 1999!!!" booklet. All in great shape, pretty odd find considering it was in the section with all the VCR's and such and not in with the rest of the games.

Best Goodwill find in a while for me. Picked up a cart-only Ogre Battle SNES for $2.99. My Goodwill has been great this year (top loader NES for $24.99).

Just got back from the Goodwill.

I picked up F-15 Desert Strike II for .97 and Mutant Fighter Mazin Saga for $1.97. The latter is in a pretty haggard case with no instructions.

Besides that, I got The Stone Cold Truth VHS tape for .97 to add to my Wrestling collection, as well as a Puma 7-Up bandana.

Finally, I found a Palm III (Palm Pilot) for $2.97. In the box with the manuals, charger and case and looking brand new and possibly never used. I sold it to my dad for $5 when I got home. He was looking at buying a II used, but decided not to as he plans on just getting a better cell phone when his current plan expires.

Hit up the American Rescue Worker's thrift store today. I snagged the Dreamcast Web 2.0 disc, still sealed for $1.50 (my friend wants it), and a sweet brown leather bomber jacket for $12. It's not a great brand, but it's in great shape... worn in just enough.

Hit up the Goodwill again as well as my sister wanted some Nascar tape. Ended up snagging a ton of Power Rangers VHS and DVD tapes. One is signed by Topper, who was the local Fox kid's host.

Found a complete in box Aftershock racing wheel for playstation for two dollars at my thrift store. That's about it. I also picked up Mario Brothers and haunted house for the Atari 2600. And Sword of Sodan for the Sega Genesis because it had a weird case. Adding it all together, I spent six dollars. I love thrift stores.

I just recently discovered our Goodwill... other than the previous find, the rest of the stock was pretty crappy.

How often is it worth it to check Goodwill for new items? I'm not sure if they just restock when they get new stuff, or if there is a certain day and time. I was thinking once a week, but I wasn't sure if there was a definitive good day to go.

Also, is it worth to just check generic thrift stores?

[quote name='animalspinners']I just recently discovered our Goodwill... other than the previous find, the rest of the stock was pretty crappy.

How often is it worth it to check Goodwill for new items? I'm not sure if they just restock when they get new stuff, or if there is a certain day and time. I was thinking once a week, but I wasn't sure if there was a definitive good day to go.

Also, is it worth to just check generic thrift stores?[/QUOTE]

It's worth it to check every thrift store. You never know what they have. Also, there is no set time or day to check a store. It's a given that if you don't check every single day, you're gonna miss out on something. Obviously, that's not possible for most people, but it adds to the fun of thrift store shopping.

my local Goodwill usually always has something gaming related there but man they jacked the prices up hard. before i picked up (2) PS1 for $10 each. now they have PS1's for 20 bucks a piece, gotta be kidding me. they had a dreamcast with no wires for $35!!! crazyyy. i never owned an N64 and saw one at goodwill for $25!!?? no f'n way.

on the flip side ive gotten some sweet deals to though, grabbed The Bourne Conspiracy for the 360 sealed for $10. Zelda 2 on the NES full package $2.

im going to take a trip there later today see if i can find any deals. hopefully they lowered some of the prices on there consoles.

Sweet finds at some thrift stores today. Posting pics in a minute

DSCF0032-1.jpg

Torin's Passage
Lords of Magic Special Edition
The Role Playing Software System
Sim Farm
Final Fantasy VII Guide
Elder Scrolls Oblivion Game of The Year Guide

DSCF0033.jpg

Sim Town
Sim Park
Pool of Radiance Ruins of Myth Drannor
X-Com UFO Defense
Caesar

DSCF0035.jpg

Centurion Defender of Rome
King's Quest II Romancing The Throne
King's Quest III To Heir is Human
King's Quest IV The Perils of Rosella
Conquest of Camelot Search for the Grail
Hero's Quest So You Want To Be A Hero
Quest For Glory II Trial By Fire

All are complete

Today at my local goodwill i found
GBA SP (missing charger does power on)
GBA SP carrying case
GBA Tony Hawks Underground
NES Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (CIB i think?)
All for $7.18
was this a good deal?

[quote name='rtooby']From SA today:

Ultima VII - The Black Gate ($1.99)
http://tinypic.com/r/ixfla8/3

Looks to be complete, the map is in perfect condition I'd say.

Ultima VIII Pagan ($1.99)
http://tinypic.com/r/53qlnq/3

Same deal with this one, map is in great condition.

Also picked up the two Bratz gamecube games for $0.99 each, not a scratch on them. Hopefully the niece still likes them.[/QUOTE]

I had an Ultima VII Black Gate like that several months ago and it went $40+ on auction. Buy it Now (if you are looking to sell you could probably get more than that.

Edit:

Nevermind. Mine was all 3 1/4 (?) discs (the smaller hard ones like Forge Of Virtue).

Just opened it up on Ebay and it was all discs and went for $42.30 with 6 shipping. Back in June it sold.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']That's not bad. Does Indiana Jones have a little piece of Styrofoam at the bottom of the box?[/QUOTE]

nope, guess that means not complete? lol at least whoever had it before kept the cardboard, none of my games from when i was a kid have those, most of mine don't even have the black plastic cover

[quote name='orcafan8']nope, guess that means not complete? lol at least whoever had it before kept the cardboard, none of my games from when i was a kid have those, most of mine don't even have the black plastic cover[/QUOTE]

I was just wondering. There are some people who will say the game isn't "complete" without the Styrofoam block. I'm not one of those people :lol:

Goodwill- Dreamcast av cable and a basically new Dreamcast controller (its still got the foam rubberbanded to the plug and looks unused)-$3.33... wonder where the system or games are cause thats my 2nd DC controller in a week from there

also got a $5 giftcard with my copy of Madden 2010, definately worth buying those $1 reservation cards at Target if your planning on getting the game anyways why not get a giftcard outta the deal as well

[quote name='juangrande386']
also got a $5 giftcard with my copy of Madden 2010, definately worth buying those $1 reservation cards at Target if your planning on getting the game anyways why not get a giftcard outta the deal as well[/QUOTE]Do you have to pick up the game to get the gift card?

I hit up a sweet new thrift store in a neighboring town yesterday. I didn't find anything, but some Atari nut dropped off a ton of stuff... the AV built in games cable deck, the built in games controller and Pac Man controller as well as a bunch of old 2600 and some 5200 games. Also a handful of mediocre Genesis games and Videomation for the NES. The games were $3, the controllers $10 (too steep) and the "system" $20 (again, too steep).

Hopefully someone drops off some better stuff, but the place is pretty big with a really nice overall collection, with reasonable prices for the most part. They had a ton of .99 board games, but sadly... Happy Days has eluded me once more.

[quote name='darkslime']Do you have to pick up the game to get the gift card?[/QUOTE]

Yes, and if you return it, they take the value of the gift card off of the return, so you only get $55 back.

Just got back from Goodwill with Jack Nicholas Golf for the NES for $3 and the self-titled album from Dirty Vegas with "Days Go By" on it for $3.

The also had a TON of sealed official Sony Multi-Tap 4-player adapters for the PS1 at $5 a pop.

Found some NES games at a Goodwill recently.

Super Mario 2, Punch Out, Tetris, and Track and Field 2.

$2 each.

I wonder if I made out good today,
I found:
N64 with power cord only, for $6.99 + tax
bare SNES (yellowed bad), for $4.99 + tax

I havent have time to test them yet but the N64 powers on.

[quote name='juangrande386']ha Blueswim i found my copy of Jack Nicholas Golf at a Goodwill. is yours complete too?[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, it wasn't. I found it just plopped onto the VHS rack all by itself. I did find a complete copy(with ad inserts and Zelda:LttP poster) of Vegas Stakes for the SNES a few weeks ago though. I have to congratulate you on both finding a complete copy and your excellent taste in games in general. Anyone who buys a Jack Nicholas golf game gets a thumbs-up from me.
picture.php

The goodwills in Toronto had a 50% off everything sale on everything yesterday. I found Shinobi and Robotnik's mean bean machine (both for the Game Gear) for 1.50 each, and a Dreamcast for 3 bucks. My friend's luckier than I am, he's found Super Mario RPG for a buck back in June and a boxed NES for 10 just two days ago -.-.

[quote name='ivanwijaya']I wonder if I made out good today,
I found:
N64 with power cord only, for $6.99 + tax
bare SNES (yellowed bad), for $4.99 + tax

I havent have time to test them yet but the N64 powers on.[/QUOTE]

If both work, it's a good grab.

Last Friday I picked up

Empire Earth II PC - Brand New
Quest For Glory Collection - PC
Space Quest 6 - PC
Sonic Adventure - Dreamcast
Marvel vs Capcom - Dreamcast

$2 each.

Not bad, QFG collection seems to be a pretty good find.

just got Guitar Hero: World Tour PS3 for $10 at a goodwill, still factory sealed, woohoo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/juangrande386/CIMG8723.jpg

Sega Dreamcast, great condition box, coffin box with top, av cable, power cable, 2 controllers, blue vmu, virtual tennis disk only.-$30

4 rechargable batteries with charger- $3

Yoshi rc car complete- $6 (our new kittens are lovin this thing)

boxed POG set- $2

Pretty good Goodwill day, everything except the battery stuff came from my first Goodwill. Saw the DC controller then kept walking left and everything was lying around like someone looked at it and left it so needing a DC to go with the 2 $3 controllers I found last week i scooped everything in the box and shut it. Picked up the POG box cause it was only $2, has probably 100 pogs with it, and the box is in way better condition then the one ive had for like 14 years. $6 for the Yoshi car wasnt too bad i did a quick google on my phone and saw they were over $15 new plus watching little kittens chase it is really funny. And last you just cant get much better than $3 for 4 working batteries and a charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back