The Thrift Store Thread 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='juangrande386']this is more towards NaturalHatTrick's post but $7 for NES game WOW i thought my GW was crazy with $4 games[/QUOTE]

Meh, this VV charges 4.99 for PC demo discs from 1999, and I've seen cart-only games go upwards to 20$. Only reason I got this one was because I've been looking for it for a while and it goes for twice as much on ebay.

Also this is Canada so everything is more expensive here.

I got Battle Arena Toshinden URA for Saturn today for $3. It didn't have a price, so I asked the manager, and she originally said $5. I would have paid that, because the game and case are in great condition, but she asked what system it was for. I only said "Sega" because I though she wouldn't know what I was talking about had I said "Sega Saturn". She then told me it was $3. All the Genesis games were $3 :lol:

Went to one today to pick up a rock band mic (knew they had it yesterday but didn't have the cash on hand) for $10, and ended up also getting Guitar Hero: World Tour for $10.

I picked up Joust (2600) and Sharp Shot (intellivison) for 25 cents. Incredible Hulk(genesis), Klax (nes), and Tom and Jerry (nes) for a buck each.

Picked up Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri: Alien Crossfire expansion pack at a local Goodwill for $3. It's a Jewel Case w/ disc, but it's still a tough disc to find.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Picked up Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri: Alien Crossfire expansion pack at a local Goodwill for $3. It's a Jewel Case w/ disc, but it's still a tough disc to find.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is. Good find.

I hit the local thrift store. The one I found the $10 N64. Today, they had a Sega Genesis type 1 with controlelr and AC adaptor. A bit dirty and with no TV hookup whatsoever. The price?

$50.

Fifty mother fucking dollars.

It was at this point I concluded that the woman who runs the place is going senile and walked out. $50 for a Genesis is absurd. I've seen PS2s going for that much on craigslist lately and in no way should a Genesis cost more than $15 in the wild.

man $50 for a Genesis, so far the highest price ive seen on a system Dreamcast or older is a $30 Atari (that someone actually bought ). most of the time theyre $10-$20 depending on cables or controllers included. ive been lucky where they marked the system like $6 cause the rest of the stuff got separated then I find the cables for $1 apiece and the controllers for $2 apiece.

Todd McFarlane's Spawn The Video Game for $4. First snes game ive seen besides NHLPA 93 at my GW in over a month. Thought it was weird just seeing one new SNES game sitting there, hopefully others just werent out yet and didnt get sold. I miss the old days when I first starting going to GW and could find the good Nintendo games for $2 apiece. I think I ruined it by going just about everyday and the employees seeing me buy these old games all the time.

All they ever put out at mine is sports titles. Most likely they cherry pick or you have some competition in your area. I haven't been to a SA or GW in a while. May check it out again if I'm bored.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']All they ever put out at mine is sports titles. Most likely they cherry pick or you have some competition in your area. I haven't been to a SA or GW in a while. May check it out again if I'm bored.[/QUOTE]

This is the main problem with thrifts. You really need to be there right after stuff is put out . . . at least in my area.

Now that rummage sales have ended, I want to participate here but I rarely find anything.

Last week I saw an N64 system at a local St. Vinnies. It was marked $15 . . . so I looked it over. Hookups but no controller . . . its still sitting there. Yesterday they had another and I could see that this one has the hookups and a controller and Mario 64! As I moved in for the kill, I saw it was marked $25 . . . damn.

gonna go tomorrow just for the hell of it, outside flea markets are closing doors for the winter and yard sales are just about over, so thrift stores are all thats left

On a couple of a visits to random thrift stores around my area
DSC03386.jpg

Marko $1.91
Wheel of Fortune: .99

DSC03375.jpg

Astro Boy: $2.99
Disney Golf: $2.99

DSC03292.jpg

6-Pak: $1.99

DSC03394.jpg

Micro Machines: $2.99
ATV Off Road Fury 2: $2.99

Went in today. Had the usual stuff, old lamps, vcr's, couple of decent tape decks (good condition but too much $ for something untested), and I spotted a few green cases (original xbox games), upon inspection they were all sports games. They had a huge new stock of CD's, looked through but didn't find any ps1 games or anything. I know that's where they usually put them.

I ended up picking up a couple vinyl records for .99 each. That's about it.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']They had a huge new stock of CD's, looked through but didn't find any ps1 games or anything. I know that's where they usually put them.[/QUOTE]

That drives me so crazy. Look through the usual section then spot some old sports game for the playstation in the CD section, then I have to dig through ten thousand copies of a pirated Kenny Rogers CD to find another.

[quote name='ohram']That drives me so crazy. Look through the usual section then spot some old sports game for the playstation in the CD section, then I have to dig through ten thousand copies of a pirated Kenny Rogers CD to find another.[/QUOTE]

On the plus side, games mixed in with CDs might last a little longer on the shelf (if other game buyers don't notice).

Found at my GW:
N64 system, with AV cable and power adapter - $14.99
Dreamcast, with AV cable, power adapter, one controller, and one mem card - $12.99
PS1 Phat, no cables with controller - was not marked

also saw tons of PS1 games, mainly greatest hits. The best of the bunch was the original gran turismo. There were a couple Saturn games, but I don't remember which ones. Also saw a Mortal Kombat for SNES.

I'll probably go back next week to pick up the dreamcast, since mine just stopped working.

Today I found a sealed copy of 'Ape Escape" for $1.99 at GW.
Does anyone have any idea of how much a new greatest hits version of "Ape Escape" is worth? Ebay was not helpful, and I think Amazon's cheapest is around $84. I know it is supposed to be a good game, but 84 bucks?!

Phantasy star II for genesis from a thrift that I shall not name, price was 2.98, loose cart but looks like pretty good condition.

I picked up a maple story VHS from another store for .99. I don't know if that is notable but I like collecting 80s VHS tapes.

Been a while since I posted my finds. I scope the dvds/games but never find anything. Though I do find a lot of board games.

Picked up a few board games. Everything is complete
1. Clue - Electronic FX (Everything is there) - 4.99
2. Game of Life (Like New - two pegs were off those plastic things and sitting in a car) - 2.99
3. Pictionary (New - was still sealed) - 4.99
4. Taboo (Missing the timer, oh well) - 4.99
5. Uno Attack (I can't tell. The box is beat to crap, but the machine looks great and the cards are sealed) - 7.99
So all in all ~26.00 for 5 board games.

Saw Simpsons Scrabble (disliked the plastic feel) and Scrabble in Espanol (was tempted)

[quote name='Ace_Defective']Today I found a sealed copy of 'Ape Escape" for $1.99 at GW.
Does anyone have any idea of how much a new greatest hits version of "Ape Escape" is worth? Ebay was not helpful, and I think Amazon's cheapest is around $84. I know it is supposed to be a good game, but 84 bucks?![/QUOTE]

The question would be how long is it going to take (if ever) for a sealed copy to sell on Amazon? Given the sale's rank (which means, in a sense, that 8000 games are more popular) and the fact that you can get complete copies for $10 (it'd be better if used copies were going for $30) . . . I think $80 is a longshot.

If I had it, I would list it on Amazon for $50 . . . I bet it would sell this holiday season.

[quote name='Ace_Defective']Today I found a sealed copy of 'Ape Escape" for $1.99 at GW.
Does anyone have any idea of how much a new greatest hits version of "Ape Escape" is worth? Ebay was not helpful, and I think Amazon's cheapest is around $84. I know it is supposed to be a good game, but 84 bucks?![/QUOTE]

That's because people on Amazon and Half.com put up those ridiculous prices hoping some sucker will pay the inflated prices for their stuff.:roll::lol:

But if you get someone who actually WILL pay, go for it.

I don't suppose you need a guide to go with that sealed copy of the game? I just happen to have one on my TL....which I'll sell....for $83. :D

I hit 4 thrifts today and came up empty on games. Then as I was leaving the last one I spotted a Dreamcast (not with the electronics). Working system in box with 3 Sega controllers, AV hookup and power cord. Box also contained one game . . . Virtual Tennis. It was priced $9 . . . so I snagged it.

first time to Goodwill in over a week. Passed on a model 1 Genesis and a model 2 Genesis for $15 apiece. Obviously passed on 3 $25 PS1s. Saw about 10 Gamegear games but nothing id pay $4 for (thought about asking if theyd do $1 apiece if I bought them all). Might go back tomorrow for the Gamegear battery pack and Star Wars Battle for Naboo for N64.

Salvation Army finds

Paperboy 2 (Genesis CIB) - $.50
Parappa the Rapper (PS1 complete) - $2
The Living End - Roll On (CD) - $2

Yesterday I went back to the Goodwill that I found Ape Escape, and picked up Super Mario World & Drakkhen for $1.99 each... Oh and a sealed copy of Ape Escape seems to be worth around $30(according to recent Ebay completed listings).

My Goodwill has been raising the prices on their gaming stuff. One pink N64 that's been there for several weeks is marked $20 and yet a recently added gray N64 is priced $25. I can't remember if the gray one had a power cord or not.

The NES games have also gone up--their $5 now(not $3) and a gold Zelda II cart was priced at $7(same price as the N64 games I saw tonight). Either they've gotten a gamer on staff or they've started marking this shit up cause it sells.:mad:

I did come away with X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse for the SNES though, so it wasn't a total waste of time.

I hope mine doesnt bump prices up cause $4 is already high for most games. I REALLY hope they dont start pricing games based on what system the games are for. Also all the Gamegear games I saw the other day were gone so somebody else must be getting games there. I assumed those were $4 apiece so it doesnt really bother me that someone spent $40 for some GG games cause I wasnt.

It seemed like they were going by what system it was, or at least how new the games were. PS2 & Cube games were $10, N64 games were $7 and NES & SNES games were $5. Dick move, Goodwill. Dick move.

[quote name='BlueSwim']Dick move.[/QUOTE]

Over a year ago my GW started removing discs from cases . . . the discs are stored in back. So, if you want to buy something you have to get in line, get to the cashier and then wait for someone who is called to find the disc. Then you can finally check condition. This is such a pain that I don't even want to go in there anymore.

They say they started this because of missing discs . . . presumably this is because of theft (why steal a $2.99 CD? . . . If you're going to bother to steal the disc . . . why not taked the case?) but I think they were just getting the occasional donated case (discs get separated) and they didn't catch it in the intake.

Anyway, they will open sealed games to get the discs out . . . its like shopping at Gamestop.

I saw a little stack of Rockband Track Pack (PS2) . . . in the past, they would have just left them sealed and put them out for $1.99 or $2.99 and I'd snap them up and sell them for $10 each. Now, they have gutted them and priced them at $19.99.

So very sad.

I saw two copies of Goldeneye and one Zelda LttP all marked at 20$ this week. I don't know if I should be more ashamed of Value Village for putting up those prices, or of the people that actually bought them. You'd think that people that shop at thrift stores would have more important things to spend money on than 20$ videogames that they could get on ebay for 8$.

I also saw a Blu-Ray for the first time at a thrift, it was Twilight and marked 10$.

Yeah, I agree with you guys, you have to wonder who is buying this stuff at these prices. Especially considering the games most likely do not work without a good cleaning, so the person is buying them, putting in the effort to clean them, and then reselling them? Most parents with children who play older video games don't have any inkling on how to clean a game. How much could they possibly be making considering the effort and time put in here, and the fact that many games just don't sell that well on ebay, you can't make a profit on just anything. It takes a pretty long time to clean batches of games, and I can vouch for that. I could see if they were cherry picking and leaving the crappy stuff, but if they were paying $5-6 per game and the game is selling for $4-$6 shipped on ebay plus fees, it doesn't really make any sense.

This is assuming that people who are reselling are buying the stuff in the thrifts, because I assume that the uninformed parent doesn't know how to take apart and clean games, which is necessary to make them work when you buy them from thrifts or other unknown source. If the parent is informed enough to know how to clean a game, then they are informed enough to check ebay's completed listings and probably know better than to buy an overpriced game.

I find that very few games I get these days clean up with just alcohol as well, they are just too dirty, you really have to have the proper tools to clean the games which means sourcing the proper bits to open them up.

At least if you bought the game on ebay for $8 (vs $20 on the shelf of the thrift) you know you are getting a working copy, but your buying stuff that is in very unknown condition from these stores, and paying more than what ebay costs. It just doesn't make sense.

Hit up the local Salvation Army.

They're new set up is sort of weird, but I did find a copy of Battle Tanx for the Gameboy Color laying by some toys for $3. I left it sit. Just checked online and it looks like it stinks.

[quote name='SaraAB']Yeah, I agree with you guys, you have to wonder who is buying this stuff at these prices. Especially considering the games most likely do not work without a good cleaning, so the person is buying them, putting in the effort to clean them, and then reselling them? Most parents with children who play older video games don't have any inkling on how to clean a game. How much could they possibly be making considering the effort and time put in here, and the fact that many games just don't sell that well on ebay, you can't make a profit on just anything. It takes a pretty long time to clean batches of games, and I can vouch for that. I could see if they were cherry picking and leaving the crappy stuff, but if they were paying $5-6 per game and the game is selling for $4-$6 shipped on ebay plus fees, it doesn't really make any sense.

This is assuming that people who are reselling are buying the stuff in the thrifts, because I assume that the uninformed parent doesn't know how to take apart and clean games, which is necessary to make them work when you buy them from thrifts or other unknown source. If the parent is informed enough to know how to clean a game, then they are informed enough to check ebay's completed listings and probably know better than to buy an overpriced game.

I find that very few games I get these days clean up with just alcohol as well, they are just too dirty, you really have to have the proper tools to clean the games which means sourcing the proper bits to open them up.

At least if you bought the game on ebay for $8 (vs $20 on the shelf of the thrift) you know you are getting a working copy, but your buying stuff that is in very unknown condition from these stores, and paying more than what ebay costs. It just doesn't make sense.[/QUOTE]

I found out that several of the people I thought were resellers around here are just hoarders, they buy up any old games they see not caring what the price is, they seem to think if they hold onto them they will be worth more someday. I'm guessing there are alot of people like that around.

Picked up the following at Goodwill today:

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (PC) - $4.99
NFL Blitz 2001 (N64) - $3

Now if only I could find an N64. I've got like 6-7 games and nothing to play them on.

I also found out that there are two Salvation Army's in my town that I had no idea existed. Went and checked them out but there was absolutely nothing video game related.

Snagged a Sega Genesis without cords or cables for $1 at a thrift shop
:)

I don't find much stuff so meh.

got Zelda Majoras Mask with the holographic label and Super Mario World for $3.24. talked the guy into including my 2 games into the 50% off cds and movies sale they were having.

I've given up on finding anything worthwhile at Goodwill stores.

Likewise, the two local thrift stores that opened near me are under personal boycott. I have to assume the one that wanted $50 for a Genesis is run by someone with mental problems.

The other one? Well, I would assume this place has no shoplifting problem because they have nothing worth shoplifting. A $30 PS1 covered in dirt. A $40 Dreamcast in dirty condition. Transformers toys with missing limbs at almost new prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back