The Walking Dead

Well, it's the same idea as the Mass Effect series; it's less about actually branching the story based on your choices and more about making you feel like the story is branching based on your choices. Of course the illusion gets shattered a little bit when you replay and find out that what seemed to be the dramatic consequences of your individual choice also happened to everyone else. But the first time through, before you've taken a look behind the curtain, is quite a ride.

Regarding the "fake choice" choices and episode 3:
Does Katja still be the one to go kill duck even if you choose to do it yourself?

[quote name='Bezerker']Regarding the "fake choice" choices and episode 3:
Does Katja still be the one to go kill duck even if you choose to do it yourself?
.[/QUOTE]

Yep. The final decision is hers regardless of your choice due to her intention to commit suicide. The only meaningful variance I can recall is Kenny accompanying her and he still can't stop her from doing it.

My point of view on the ending of Episode 3:
-Omid is a pedo.
-The guy on the walkie talkie who has been talking to Clem, either plans on cornholing Clem or Lee.

Episode 4 is going to be very dark. Could even be more dark than 3.

[quote name='8bitArtist']no thats what im talking about though. for instance in episode 1
with duck and hershels son, if you save hershels son, he still dies and duck lives. if you save duck, hershels son still dies. so really the choice is pretty irrevelant. same thing in episode 3, whoever you saved in episode 2, whether it is carly or doug, they will both die at the same scene no matter what choices you choose.

point being if you choose to not kill someone, another character in the game will or if a character dies, theres basically nothing you could have done to save that character.

i get why telltale is doing this. having the story branch out too much would be a ton of work and they cant even get these out on time like they said they would the way it is (thinking episode 4 will come out in sept and 5 in october is a damn long shot). so in order to keep the story simpler for them, they are just going to completely cut off branches of the story no matter what.[/QUOTE]

Not really. If you save Duck, Kenny is your boy forever. Well until you do something he doesn't like. If you try to save Hershel's son, he doesn't look at you the same throughout the episode.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Well, it's the same idea as the Mass Effect series; it's less about actually branching the story based on your choices and more about making you feel like the story is branching based on your choices. Of course the illusion gets shattered a little bit when you replay and find out that what seemed to be the dramatic consequences of your individual choice also happened to everyone else. But the first time through, before you've taken a look behind the curtain, is quite a ride.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Unless you know all the spoilers and read the different decisions.....your first walk through from Episode 1 to 3.....makes it feel your decisions DO matter. That's the whole point. Doing a reply nullifies that feeling, but your first complete walkthrough gives you a satisifed feeling that your choices do have some consequences.

[quote name='8bitArtist']no thats what im talking about though. for instance in episode 1
with duck and hershels son, if you save hershels son, he still dies and duck lives. if you save duck, hershels son still dies. so really the choice is pretty irrevelant. same thing in episode 3, whoever you saved in episode 2, whether it is carly or doug, they will both die at the same scene no matter what choices you choose.

point being if you choose to not kill someone, another character in the game will or if a character dies, theres basically nothing you could have done to save that character.

i get why telltale is doing this. having the story branch out too much would be a ton of work and they cant even get these out on time like they said they would the way it is (thinking episode 4 will come out in sept and 5 in october is a damn long shot). so in order to keep the story simpler for them, they are just going to completely cut off branches of the story no matter what.[/QUOTE]

My point was you still develop a different feeling about the characters that do survive, hence when something happens with them you feel differently. My comparison being Carly and Doug.

[quote name='Calipso']My point of view on the ending of Episode 3:
-Omid is a pedo.

[/QUOTE]

The most popular/plausible theory for his excitement is
Christa is pregnant with his child thus the argument you overheard on the way up to them. It would also explain her harshness toward Lee concerning Clem's well being.

I'm so day one-ing that disc. I absolutely need a physical copy of a game of this caliber. Its release date also gives us some small reassurance that we'll get the final two episodes on schedule not that I'm holding my breath.

With the way this game chugs when you're playing it off the HDD, I can't imagine how it will perform playing it from the optical drive.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']With the way this game chugs when you're playing it off the HDD, I can't imagine how it will perform playing it from the optical drive.[/QUOTE]

I do have that issue as well. The FPS comes to a stand still at certain sections.

If this was an online game or a serious $59.99 game, I'd be pissed. However, with the connections I've made with this game.....I can deal with the slow chugging of the boring scenes.

[quote name='Calipso']
Not really. If you save Duck, Kenny is your boy forever. Well until you do something he doesn't like. If you try to save Hershel's son, he doesn't look at you the same throughout the episode.
[/QUOTE]

yes but having kenny by your side really doesnt change anything.

[quote name='8bitArtist']yes but having kenny by your side really doesnt change anything.[/QUOTE]

Well. In theory he is by your side until....well you know. So your choices in the long run....are pretty moot.

ok i got over some pc issues was able to play ep 3. to say it was batshit crazy is an understatement. this is going to be long winded so bare with me.

im going to try and hit some key points of EP 3 that really made me feel something. this game does a really good job making me forget everything is scripted, at certain points i feel like im really having an impact and thats amazing for a video game.

the start.
lily was starting to get on my nerves because shes 2 seconds away from being insane at certain points. the bandit raid was like oh shit!!!!! this was the first point where i thought.....i hope no one gets killed , it was a perfect set up. i made sure to stay on point and save everyone.

next
the girl on the street. i ended up shooting her putting her out of her missery but drawing attention to me and kenny. it was stupid but i fell for it.

now it gets f'n crazy
lily's paranoid ass knows someones stealing so lee and duck get to the bottom of it..sort of. i was trying to remain level headed and cool when lily is certain carley is the traitor and i really enjoy having carley in the group (doug for you other crazies who saved him) and when lily shoots her in the head i literally said "what the fuck!!!" i honestly didnt see that coming. so you can bet i didnt think twice to leave lily's ass on the side of the road.

this is really happening?
we find out duck got bit and its getting bad now. kenny is in denial but kat knows the inevitable. i talk kenny into stoppinf the train i see hes mentally destroyed by the fact his son is going to die. kat seemed really level headed so i talk kenny into letting her go do the deed. you hear the gunshot. lee and kenny make the journey to see how kats doing (at this point i remember thinking i bet she killed herself instead of killing her son) and what do you know. i then talk kenny into putting duck out of his misery because after all its his son not lee's. if this shit was real id want to be responsible for my own flesh and blood. so at this point kenny raises the gun and puts one in ducks head. i was like wow im not sure ive ever seen a kid get killed in a video game and it just goes to show NO ONE is safe in this universe. to be 100% honest i was sad that duck got killed the part that was sad was seeing his parents in complete heart ache knowing they had to kill there little boy.

the plot thickens.
you meet these other 2 smack off's omid and whatever her name is i couldnt care less about these 2 as of right now. im looking forward to ep4 but this crew isnt my favorite. its just all for clem now. the bum seems ok but again i dont care about him .....yet.

sorry for wall of text but this game just does alot of things for me that games dont do. especially the so called choose your own path games.

I know were my Wednesday night is headed. Can't wait to play Episode 4.

I also heard a rumor TT is making another season of Walking Dead adventure games. Hope that's true.

[quote name='Rodimus']I know were my Wednesday night is headed. Can't wait to play Episode 4.

I also heard a rumor TT is making another season of Walking Dead adventure games. Hope that's true.[/QUOTE]

it is true. they stated early on in season 1 that a season 2 will happen. i mean, its prob their most well received game so i dont see why not.

the real question is, who will you play as in season 2.

Yeah! I love the series so much that, after getting eps. 1 & 2 free from PlayStation Plus (and having a few $10 PSN cards lying around) I've been replaying the game on PS3 being a complete selfish asshole rather than the goody-two-shoes I have played as on the 360.

I wasn't intrested in Adventure games until recently thanks to Back to the Future and Walking Dead. I played a few for the PC as a kid and a couple during the PS1 era but never really got into them. I'm a BttF fan and after seeing videos and interviews I was pleased to see how they were handling the franchise and decided to give it a try. But I have to admit I was sceptical hearing about the idea of Telltale making a zombie adventure game based on WD. I didn't even try it till episode 1&2 came up for free on Playstation Plus. My concern couldn't be more misplaced.

I can't wait to hear more news about Fables. It seems TT is handling a bunch of my favorite franchises and I couldn't be more happy.

[quote name='Rodimus']I wasn't intrested in Adventure games until recently thanks to Back to the Future and Walking Dead.[/QUOTE]

Did BTTF ever come out on 360?

Separate Q, is Jurassic Park worth picking up?

[quote name='Corvin']Did BTTF ever come out on 360?[/QUOTE]

No it didn't, and no plans of it going to. Seems like it came out for everything else.

Also curious about the Jurassic Park game. The reviews have been scattered, mostly fair.

[quote name='krashhole']I suppose the disc based version is good for those that haven't played the game yet.[/QUOTE]

Or love TWD so much they have to own a physical copy like myself.

Fantastic episode (as usual) but I knew
Lee wouldn't survive the season.

Oh, and don't click on that spoiler unless you seriously want to be spoiled. You were warned.

I think it shows how lost they are when it comes to pleasing Western audiences. They honestly have very little idea what we really want which is for Japanese developers to start making games for themselves again.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']I think it shows how lost they are when it comes to pleasing Western audiences. They honestly have very little idea what we really want which is for Japanese developers to start making games for themselves again.[/QUOTE]

When you say this I can't help but think of Deadly Premonition. It's a great horror thriller and it's major flaw was the sandbox wannabe western style of gameplay.

(and horrible controls)

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Or love TWD so much they have to own a physical copy like myself.

Fantastic episode (as usual) but I knew
Lee wouldn't survive the season.

Oh, and don't click on that spoiler unless you seriously want to be spoiled. You were warned.[/QUOTE]

man, i was seriously bummed when i saw what had happened. i hope it doesnt turn out the way it seems like it will, but if it doesnt, that isnt in typical walking dead fashion.

Just started playing... Ben can seriously go fuck himself.
First he put Carley in harm's way, now Clementine?! If I could do whatever I wanted, I'd ditch everyone but Clem and my bro Kenny.

Another amazing episode. My one minor complaint was that it was way too dark. I know a lot of it takes place indoors, in places where there's no power, but even with the brightness setting turned up to 10, there were times where I couldn't see a thing.

My choices for this ep:

I did not kill the boy in the attic
I did not lie to or threaten Vernon
I brought Clementine with me to Crawford
I pulled Ben up and saved him
I revealed the bite

[quote name='Danimal']Another amazing episode. My one minor complaint was that it was way too dark. I know a lot of it takes place indoors, in places where there's no power, but even with the brightness setting turned up to 10, there were times where I couldn't see a thing.

My choices for this ep:

I did not kill the boy in the attic
I did not lie to or threaten Vernon
I brought Clementine with me to Crawford
I pulled Ben up and saved him
I revealed the bite
[/QUOTE]

I did all of those except the first one.

but then

I got Omid, his girl, and Ben to follow me, Kenny stayed and basically told me to go fuck myself

This episode took a slight step backwards for me(IMO opinion eps. 1, 2 & 3 each got better and better so I epected a bit more
though the Lee reveal nearly filled this void
), but it was still great nonetheless.

My thing here though is,
Why do they have it to where bites/scratches kill you? That is not the case in every other TWD universe... I'd say they find out eventually and Lee won't die, but they already killed Duck off because of this. Or did they? Ugh, so confused. :lol:

[quote name='Corvin']Separate Q, is Jurassic Park worth picking up?[/QUOTE]

I played the first episode about a month or two ago and enjoyed it. I was interested in the story(quite a lot of throwbacks to the original movie) and was pleased over all. That being said, I never went back to finish off the remaining 3 eps., so take that for what you will.

Also, very much of of TT/Heavy Rain type of experience. If you do not like QTE's then this game if not for you.

[quote name='Mixer236']My thing here though is,
Why do they have it to where bites/scratches kill you? That is not the case in every other TWD universe... I'd say they find out eventually and Lee won't die, but they already killed Duck off because of this. Or did they? Ugh, so confused. :lol:
[/QUOTE]

Yes, any scracth or bite will turn you. At this point I thinks it's safe to say Lee will die by the end of the next episode.

I jumped at the chance to kill that little fucker Ben off. Also I decided to hide the bite. We'll compare notes and see what changes in the next episode.

[quote name='Mixer236'] My thing here though is,
[/QUOTE]
I can't recall any characters in the comic or TV show getting bitten and surviving. You don't need a bite or scratch to come back as a zombie if you die, but in every case I can remember, a bite or scratch is pretty much a death sentence. Technically, we didn't see Jim die in the TV show, but he was going downhill rapidly when they left him.

On a separate note, I found it very interesting
to see the breakdown of who goes with Lee at the end of the episode. Fairly even splits among all of the possible combinations. I ended up with Omid, Christa, and Ben, which I think 14% of players got. I think the lowest was Lee going alone, which was 6%, and the highest (can't remember which combo it was) had something like 18%.

[quote name='Danimal']
I can't recall any characters in the comic or TV show getting bitten and surviving. You don't need a bite or scratch to come back as a zombie if you die, but in every case I can remember, a bite or scratch is pretty much a death sentence. Technically, we didn't see Jim die in the TV show, but he was going downhill rapidly when they left him.

On a separate note, I found it very interesting
to see the breakdown of who goes with Lee at the end of the episode. Fairly even splits among all of the possible combinations. I ended up with Omid, Christa, and Ben, which I think 14% of players got. I think the lowest was Lee going alone, which was 6%, and the highest (can't remember which combo it was) had something like 18%.
[/QUOTE]

Well...
In the books, Dale and Allen survive being bitten. I seem to remember Allen dying due to blood loss, but Dale makes a full recovery having part of his leg amputated. Nothing of the sort has happened yet in the show, but they've only just come to the realization that they're all already infected without being bitten. I guess I'll just assume that they don't know this in the game either... I suppose it makes more sense that way, but it's kinda silly knowing that Lee is probably going to die when he doesn't really need to.

[quote name='Rodimus']
Yes, any scracth or bite will turn you. At this point I thinks it's safe to say Lee will die by the end of the next episode.

I jumped at the chance to kill that little fucker Ben off. Also I decided to hide the bite. We'll compare notes and see what changes in the next episode.
[/QUOTE]

Any scratch or bite will not turn you, it only causes an infection in the body that eventually causes death. It is only then that the body reanimates, but only because all humans are already infected. If you die, you turn... It has nothing to do with any zombie interaction. As mentioned in my above post, it is possible to stop the infection by stopping it before it spreads via amputation and possibly other means.

[quote name='Mixer236']I played the first episode about a month or two ago and enjoyed it. I was interested in the story(quite a lot of throwbacks to the original movie) and was pleased over all. That being said, I never went back to finish off the remaining 3 eps., so take that for what you will.

Also, very much of of TT/Heavy Rain type of experience. If you do not like QTE's then this game if not for you.[/QUOTE]

It's a direct sequel to the movie from what I remember. If you can, try to find a used copy at GS or somewhere else as it was released on disk that way if you don't like it you can return it. Of all of Telltale's recent stuff (Sam and Max revival, BttF, JP, TWD, etc.) it is the least liked one among the general consensus.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']I think it shows how lost they are when it comes to pleasing Western audiences. They honestly have very little idea what we really want which is for Japanese developers to start making games for themselves again.[/QUOTE]

Problem with that is games cost so much to make now they can't just sell a few hundred thousand copies and be successful, like they did with JRPG's in the 80's and 90's, unless it's a downloadable title, so that's why they're trying to appease the Western crowd and also figure out what happened in the shift from the best games coming from Japan in the 80's/90's to Western studios in the late 90's/aughts. Console games aren't selling in Japan so that's why 90% of the Tokyo Game Show game on the floor were some type of mobile game (iOS, PSP, 3DS, etc.) Daemon Hatfield of IGN said every teenage to young adult playing a mobile game they noticed in Japan was either on PSP or IPhone. He said only little kids had 3DS's.

I forgot the show number, but listen to the Giant Bombcast episode after Capcom's Captivate from earlier this spring. Capcom took all the US/European journalists out to dinner and basically picked their brains as to what shooters they were playing/why certain games were popular in the West. It looks like Capcom just took all that info, dumped it on the RE 6 team and said cram all this into the game so it sells well.

[quote name='Mixer236']
Any scratch or bite will not turn you, it only causes an infection in the body that eventually causes death. It is only then that the body reanimates, but only because all humans are already infected. If you die, you turn... It has nothing to do with any zombie interaction. As mentioned in my above post, it is possible to stop the infection by stopping it before it spreads via amputation and possibly other means.
[/QUOTE]

Get scratched, get infected, die, zombie. What's the problem bro?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Rodimus']Get scratched, get infected, die, zombie. What's the problem bro?[/QUOTE]

Because in TWD it doesn't matter how you die, you become a zombie... Everyone's already infected with the virus. It's possible to still live from a bite or scratch in that universe, especially through amputation. So, bites or scratches do not cause you to become a zombie. They can only lead to death if not treated quickly enough.

[quote name='MSUHitman']It's a direct sequel to the movie from what I remember. If you can, try to find a used copy at GS or somewhere else as it was released on disk that way if you don't like it you can return it. Of all of Telltale's recent stuff (Sam and Max revival, BttF, JP, TWD, etc.) it is the least liked one among the general consensus.[/QUOTE]

You are correct, except episode one actually takes place during the first movie.

bread's done
Back