The "You're F**king Out, I'm F**king In" OTT

Status
Not open for further replies.
ODU is pretty unimpressive compared to many campuses. It's the only university where someone can get shot on campus and it doesn't make national news.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'm mostly most .hack games, but don't think I'll collect them. Only SMT games I'm missing are Devil Summoner games. I'm considering them.[/QUOTE]

I don't have the Devil Summoner games. And out of curiosity, what type of work do you do? If memory serves me right, you got a BSEE degree.

[quote name='Eviltude']ODU is pretty unimpressive compared to many campuses. It's the only university where someone can get shot on campus and it doesn't make national news.[/QUOTE]I had no idea what happened at ODU until I watched local news last Summer. People who went to ODU (who were also at the same interview session as me) discussed all that happened. I just went there for Raising Cane's. It didn't seem bad to me, partially because I've walked around the worst areas of Baltimore and DC a few times.

[quote name='Dkellar']I don't have the Devil Summoner games. And out of curiosity, what type of work do you do? If memory serves me right, you got a BSEE degree.[/QUOTE]I do Systems type of Engineering (more so mechanical, even if I'm electrical, lol).

No it's fine, but it's sort of a strange area for a university and by no means the safest. I've never been to Raising Cane's, but there is a chik fila inside one of the main buildings.

The Georgia Tech campus is unsafe. During one summer people were getting mugged all around the campus. I think it was 6+ incidents in only a few weeks. I always chuckled at the stories where the student was walking around at 3 am in a dark ally.

LOL, I was just about to say Georgia Tech as well.

It's actually better now since they demo'ed the adjacent Techwood Housing Projects. Pre-Olympics it was dangerous as hell, especially around towers dorm and that side of campus.

My freshman year there a guy tried to sell me a Mac-10 from under his overcoat- like in a bad movie, a chick we hung out with was brutally raped at the entrance to the I-75 pedestrian tunnel (on the Varsity side) and the guy broke her arm holding her down and slapping her around, and my car was broken into 3 times- all within my first 2 quarters there.

I was like, "fuck INTA, the Sam Nunn school, and GT. I'm going to UGA to major in MIS, Poly Sci or something."

The Tech campus police wore those HD kevlar vests and some walked around with slung shotguns along with their pistols.

Of my 9 HS classmates who went there 6 of us transferred to other universities and one went to jail for possession with intent to distribute.

Good times.

There were incidents similar to that at ODU. Students walking back from bars at 2am, stupid stuff that makes you a target no matter where you are. There were also things that happen just because of the area including a handful of break-ins where a female would knock on a door saying she was in trouble and needed help, then when the door was opened a group would follow her in and sack the place. There was also an incident my last semester there where a senators nephew or some shit got shot and killed at his home on campus. Turns out he was selling coke and refused to sell to a dude, the guy said something along the lines of "I'm going to come back and kill you." and was true to his word.

All in all, it wasn't bad as long as you weren't doing shit you shouldn't be doing.

This was meant as a response to walking home in the dark alleys, not getting brutally raped.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']I sell stuff to my dad as well, albeit at much less than I would somebody else, but still...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='seanr1221']Yeah me too. 250.00 for a 32GB iPad.[/QUOTE]

In early 2004, after I bought a 5 speed standard car to learn on, I gave my mom my 1998 Nissan Altima (automatic, less than 80k miles, power everything). She deserved a nice car and it was the best I could do. :3

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Southern Gothic hilariousness.[/QUOTE]

That was the weirdest episode to date. So fucking odd but full of great one liners.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Because it's not possible to fuck bitches and get money.[/QUOTE]

hahaha wow

wait i did that wrong but whatever
i meant to go 'hahahaha' at the tmk twitter thing
but somehow this happened and i don't want to change it

i ruined it

Morning, Mak...Morning, OTT.
___

Is there any links to the info on the Georgia Tech you guys were talking about? My co worker and her daughter visited there last weekend and absolutely loved it. I'd like to send them the links. I'd hate for them not to be totally informed...especially because her daugthter is very pretty and not very street smart.

[quote name='Maklershed']We're 1 week away from Mass Effect 3 SFxT![/QUOTE]

More accurate for me! :p
But your excitement for ME3 is understandable. It's going to be fun trying to remain spoiler free on that until the price hits my buying point.

I also don't plan on buying ME3 right away. Not to say it won't be worth it, but I bought the first two cheap so makes me wonder how quick this one will drop as well.

ME3 is Day 1 for me...big surprise, I know.
___

I think what's ultimately holding me up from a Vita is not being able to port my PSP UMD collection over...once they provide a vehicle to do that, I'm all in (including buying how many memory cards that are necessary to do so).

Not all at once mind you...that would be insane.

[quote name='JStryke']I also don't plan on buying ME3 right away. Not to say it won't be worth it, but I bought the first two cheap so makes me wonder how quick this one will drop as well.[/QUOTE]

ME2 was a good game... however, based on past experience and how fast games drop these days, I'm okay with waiting; especially if there ends up being a budget version down the line repackaged with all the DLC including the 'from ashes' dlc with
Soodmeg as your Prothean squadmate.
:lol:

[quote name='Eviltude']I loved ME2, but I have barely put a dent in Skyrim still, so there is no way buying ME3 at launch could be justified.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully Skyrim is performing better these days -- I know they patched it even more after I sold it.
--
I was so hyped for the possibility of character import in ME2 and watching the cool things that it would change in the game that I was really let down when I saw what was really affected by previous game's choices.

As a PS3 only player, I wonder how different you view the comic for the initial choices. It seems looking at it, that 360 players would have a higher attachment and expect more weight from the decisions in the first game, since they probably put 25+ hours into the character and universe where on PS3 it seems to me that it would just seem like a "you're filling out backstory for your character" with less expectation of it really changing the game world or the outcome.

Hopefully ME3 handles this better... it's part of the reason I want to take a "wait for it to drop" approach -- that and I have enough to play where I don't need another shooter at the moment, especially considering I just did an insanity run to finish my PS3 femShep for eventual import into ME3.

I was sort of disappointed by the comic book thing. I would have rather they just filled in some random shit and let you deal with it as opposed to giving the illusion of playing ME1. As deep as I went into ME2, it's easy to understand all the stuff that was missed by not being able to fully play #1. That doesn't take away from it being a great game, it was just a cop out at the very beginning of the game.

[quote name='Eviltude']I was sort of disappointed by the comic book thing. I would have rather they just filled in some random shit and let you deal with it as opposed to giving the illusion of playing ME1. As deep as I went into ME2, it's easy to understand all the stuff that was missed by not being able to fully play #1. That doesn't take away from it being a great game, it was just a cop out at the very beginning of the game.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't disagree more.

[quote name='Number83']Morning, Mak...Morning, OTT.
___

Is there any links to the info on the Georgia Tech you guys were talking about? My co worker and her daughter visited there last weekend and absolutely loved it. I'd like to send them the links. I'd hate for them not to be totally informed...especially because her daugthter is very pretty and not very street smart.[/QUOTE]

http://nique.net/news/2011/10/06/attacks-on-campus-lead-to-heightened-security/

Feel free to search that website. That is the student newspaper for the campus. I can't find the article that mentioned the rash of robberies over one summer when I was there. The campus is safe for the most part, but it is an open campus in the middle of Atlanta. I remember one story were a dude picked up a male prostitute in his car, and a GT officer approached the car as it appeared the driver was having a heart attack. Turns out, the prostitute was giving him head. I believe they found an unregistered gun in the car too.

Has anybody traded in an LE item to Amazon's trade in program that did not have everything that came with the LE? I am only missing a stupid plush figure and the game demo.

[quote name='Eviltude']I was sort of disappointed by the comic book thing. I would have rather they just filled in some random shit and let you deal with it as opposed to giving the illusion of playing ME1. As deep as I went into ME2, it's easy to understand all the stuff that was missed by not being able to fully play #1. That doesn't take away from it being a great game, it was just a cop out at the very beginning of the game.[/QUOTE]

I can see that from a PS3 only gamer.

Having played through it twice as a soldier male Shepard, I liked that the comic allowed me to quickly make a comparable female Shepard (infiltrator) on PS3. It's useful if you want to change some things without starting a new character on the original game.

However, given that none of the choices made actually really had an affect other than maybe getting a slightly different cut scene or dialogue option occasionally, it hasn't really mattered so far.

Hopefully, it will matter more in ME3 if you use the import.
I was searching for something I heard about in the ME3 demo on youtube the other day and ended up watching the E3 demo. I had to wonder if they're really going to give weight to decisions you make in ME2... for example:
The very first segment has you attacking a Geth base where you call in an orbital strike and a reaper looking geth colossus deal comes out of the ground and starts chasing you in an on-rails vehicular turrent section. I don't know how this plays into the story exactly, but it doesn't computer with what my femShep did. If I blew up the main Geth base during Legion's loyalty mission, there shouldn't be enough Geth to make a base that big and create what they did in the time it took from Legion's loyalty mission til the beginning of ME3. If I reprogrammed the Geth, none of them should be worshiping the reapers any more and the base shouldn't exist. It only makes sense (out-of-context, of course) if I never activated Legion or never did his loyalty mission. So I'm left wondering how my decisions actually changed anything, or if -- that mission is unavailable to me because of what I did -- what balances it out or did I just miss out on gameplay as a penalty for playing the previous game...

Worrisome. But can't pass judgement until I play it and see. Hopefully it's much better than ME2 in this regard.

EA better not fuck me over with ME3. I pre-ordered the CE way back in September but I haven't gotten any messages since about its status or when it'll ship.

Also, finally picked up Skyrim. Installed it, but it's going to get ignored while I replay ME2 and finish up Deus Ex. Maybe after ME3 I'll have time for it.

[quote name='Maklershed']We're 1 week away from Mass Effect 3!

:wave:[/QUOTE]

And I'm still waiting for the second one to drop below $20!

[quote name='eldergamer']And I'm still waiting for the second one to drop below $20![/QUOTE]

19.99 is technically *below* $20. ;)
Amazon has it for 19.96.
Considering you get almost all the meaningful DLC with it, it's actually a good deal vs. the 360 copy. :lol:

[quote name='Dkellar']http://nique.net/news/2011/10/06/attacks-on-campus-lead-to-heightened-security/

Feel free to search that website. That is the student newspaper for the campus. I can't find the article that mentioned the rash of robberies over one summer when I was there. The campus is safe for the most part, but it is an open campus in the middle of Atlanta. I remember one story were a dude picked up a male prostitute in his car, and a GT officer approached the car as it appeared the driver was having a heart attack. Turns out, the prostitute was giving him head. I believe they found an unregistered gun in the car too.

Has anybody traded in an LE item to Amazon's trade in program that did not have everything that came with the LE? I am only missing a stupid plush figure and the game demo.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, DK.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']i'm trying not to drink[/QUOTE]

Smashing all your glasses is one way to go about it. Good thing I had cans of brew.

Attack of the Show is terrible.

I received a call about an entry level position! But I'm not fluent in Spanish. Though, I did find it amusing the guy asked me if I knew anything about volts (meaning if I worked with 480 VAC before).

[quote name='Number83']Thanks, DK.[/QUOTE]

Sure thing. It's really not that bad of a place, and I actually miss it sometimes. It's a little isolated than the Georgia State campus. You actually have to dodge traffic and homeless people to get from building to building.

[quote name='Number83']
Is there any links to the info on the Georgia Tech you guys were talking about? My co worker and her daughter visited there last weekend and absolutely loved it. I'd like to send them the links. I'd hate for them not to be totally informed...especially because her daugthter is very pretty and not very street smart.[/QUOTE]

My experience at Ga Tech is dated, mid-nineties/pre-Olympic clean-up. When Summer was raped she was on the city side of the I-75 / 3rd street pedestrian tunnel so it was technically not on campus (but within shouting distance) so it was not a "campus crime" per the Clery act. Much of what happens to Tech students happens on the periphery of the campus so IDK how valid crime stats the Inst. provides are.

It's functionally an urban campus in every sense of the word, right smack in the middle of ATL. That part of the city isn't as bad as it used to be- but it's history has always been one of poverty and crime going back nearly 100 years to Techwood flats. While many of the cities poorer areas (Cabbagetown and Sweet Auburn areas) see improvements ebb and flow it seems to stay, perpetually, in really bad shape.

I would also point you to this article from the AJC archives: http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/persistent-crime-at-georgia-1214081.html

My experience was almost an entirely negative one, despite some great programs the campus really suffers from its surroundings.

Initial impressions can be very deceiving; Driving into campus off of 75 almost all you see are clean high-rises / the city skyline and landmarks the Varsity. Drive just 4 blocks from south campus (where most of the freshman dorms were when I was there) and your perspective on the campus changes.

One of my two classmates who did graduate from Tech is more adamant than me that it is a most miserable undergrad experience and wouldn't dare go there again if he had to do it over, nor send any of his kids there. He would gladly exchange emails with the prospective student, really he likes talking about how much he still hates Tech.

TL;DR If I had a son, who only wanted to be an engineer (Chem E, AE, EE . . etc.) and we couldn't afford Clemson's, Auburn's, or anywhere really OoS tuition then I might let him go- but I would insist he lived on campus for the duration (and ask that he parked his car somewhere off site). I would seriously encourage my daughter not to go there, even if she grew up in a larger city.

[quote name='zewone']I bit on a Kindle Fire over a Nook Tablet. I hope I made the right choice.[/QUOTE]

I've been eyeballing one -- just make sure you sideload a new launcher and the market and such. 8GB isn't a lot, but if you use the amazon cloud for most of your media, it should get the job done.

The only bad undergrad experience I had at Tech was the issue with a few professors not giving a shit about the students. I had one professor that taught the class a handful of times and his TAs/PhD Students taught the class. Needless to say the class as a whole did not learn much of anything. Another class the professor catered toward the PhD students rather than helping the undergrads understand the subject.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Interview tomorrow. I'm shitting bricks. I say "um" way too much.[/QUOTE]

If you start to stumble, then just start talking about your gun and PC point & click collections.

[quote name='munch']If you start to stumble, then just start talking about your gun and PC point & click collections.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that should help, thanks weenus.

Well, I just asked my Dad if he wanted to move in with me. I wonder if that was a smart move or not. Then again, if I move to Korea I won't have to worry too much about the upkeep of this place.

Have you ever noticed how many of us nerdy guys love Asian women? Take me, for example. I was so in love with an Asian chick for two years, but we had the issue of distance to contend with, and another nerd (who is an asshole, by the way) moved in on her and we ended things. But I'm seriously attracted to good-looking Asian women much more than I am to Caucasian women. What's the psychology behind that? =\

^^^ word. Also, I read somewhere that the human brain tries to find a partner who is vastly different from the individual to further enhance the gene pool, or something like that.

[quote name='Dkellar']^^^ word. Also, I read somewhere that the human brain tries to find a partner who is vastly different from the individual to further enhance the gene pool, or something like that.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I'm not Cheapy. =\ But that would make sense for some. Gonna Google that premise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back