Thrift Store Thread 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castlevania $2.50
Magna Carta $2.50
Robotica $1.99

DSC01331.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mguiddy']I've seen those mystery jigsaws at thrifts before, I always wanted to pick one up but I'd only ever buy a jigsaw puzzle at goodwill if it was sealed.
Not much is worse than finishing a jigsaw and find that you're missing a piece. :bomb:[/QUOTE]
Well, the box itself wasn't sealed, but everything inside was so I did pretty well. My wife is messing around with it right now and she seems to be having a good time with it. But yeah, I definitely know the pain of buying an incomplete puzzle. I bought a Smurf puzzle when I was a kid and it was missing one freakin' piece...that was the last time I ever bought a used puzzle.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Got a list of highlights? 16 minutes is a bit long.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, what he said.... I'm sure it is a great video and all, but a list with pictures is a lot quicker for the reader.

[quote name='Captain_Insano16']Yeah, what he said.... I'm sure it is a great video and all, but a list with pictures is a lot quicker for the reader.[/QUOTE]
Very much this.

they should have thrown out those game gear games. lol.

I don't think any game gear games are worth existing in this day and age. Maybe on 3DS because the screen won't be blurry and horrible.

I've given up on my thrifts here. Never anything good. Goodwill sucks. It's been a month or more since I was at any of them.

[quote name='aptanor']Very much this.[/QUOTE]

if i remember right, he has a list of all his finds in the description part of his youtube video

scores for the past week

SNES super scope with receiver and eye piece $5
SNES super advantage controller $3
N64 Mario Kart $5
N64 Mortal Kombat Trilogy $5

I got a booklet of Pokemon cards for $6. It has about 130 cards, most of which are Japanese, and all of them are from Basic, Jungle, Fossil, Rocket, and Gym Trainers sets. Unfortunately, there were no holos, but there were plenty of English 1 editions and rare cards (the ones with the stars on the bottom right of the card). The cards probably aren't worth that much, but I don't plan on selling them, though.

Picked up 9 different Initial D soundtracks at Goodwill today for $1 each. Only 1 is a Japanese release, the other 8 are Son May. No big deal as I bought them for myself and not resale.

[quote name='Doomstink']No big deal as I bought them for myself and not resale.[/QUOTE]

We need more CAGs like this.

I said it.

Not a videogame find but had to post cus of the little story. Was gonna go to Goodwill, saw my sister watching Gremlins so tieing my shoes turned into watching most of it. Got to GW and see a boxed Furby sitting on the shelf. Thing looks just like Gizmo from the movie. Happily paid the $3, popped in some fresh batteries, thing makes all the scary noises I remember from back when they came out and were the must have toy.

[quote name='sgaldis']Just found a copy of Metroid Fusion (GBA)....sealed...$3...:D[/QUOTE]

I am playing this game right now.

It's pretty great and I have never liked a Metroid game before this.

Nice find!

One great condition DS Lite minus everything except a box and a console. -$20. A shame that was the only video games thing in that particular thrift store besides a set of Rock Band drums.

[quote name='Survivalism']We need more CAGs like this.

I said it.[/QUOTE]

Thrift store and yard sale reselling doesn't really bother me much. If you're there for the deal you take it, it's a real luck based thing. Not like me snapping up demons souls guides to flip...

Picked up 2 Wireless Gameboy Advanced adapters for 1.99 each.
Also picked up my first Super Famicom cart, Final Fight, for 2.99. I don't even have a way to test it, but it was too odd of a find to leave behind. Left a bunch of 2.99 gameboy/GBC/GBA games (tetris, Super Mario Land 2, Wario 3, Mario Bros NES series, some soccer game, and a few others), and 4 SNES games (Mortal Kombat 2, Populous, a basketball title, and some other one) that they wanted 4.99 each for. Also saw an OG Xbox controller, and some Mad Katz controller that was blue and looked like a 360 controller, but it had an odd plug. Not sure what it was for.

Well RF cable came from eBay and the Saturn I picked up for $5 at that thrift store does indeed work! :D

[quote name='jer7583']Thrift store and yard sale reselling doesn't really bother me much. If you're there for the deal you take it, it's a real luck based thing. Not like me snapping up demons souls guides to flip...[/QUOTE]

Thrift Store and Yard Sale flipping doesn't bother me, because it takes at least a small amount of skill and knowledge to know what to look for, what is valuable, and what isn't. This is especially true with books. Plus, it's a niche market for most of this stuff anyways, it's not like you're buying up all the Tickle Me Elmos and selling them to Grandma at 800% profit, because she desperately wants one for her Grandson on Christmas. It's that kind of flipping that bothers me, since that's just flat out taking advantage of people and manipulating the market, although I can't say I wasn't guilty of doing this when Playstation 3 came out and I flipped one for $1500. When I flip stuff on Amazon, I usually take the lowest price on the Amazon Marketplace, and list mine for $2 cheaper than that. Depending on what it is, I'd like to come out at least $10 on top when all is said and done with fees and shipping. Any less than that isn't worth it, and anything more than that isn't worth it.

What really bothers me is the people that raid the Target clearances and such all the time, and post pictures on here of the 800 copies of some shit DS game that they will only make $2 profit on, but since they bought so many, it'll add up.

I left work early today and went home through an area that has a Salvation Army, Savers, and Goodwill on the same block, but all three are the most overpriced of any stores I frequent. First was the Salvation Army which mostly had junk. I walked past a brand new in box Commodore Plus/4 computer. They only wanted $5 for it, but a quick search on my phone showed it to be not at all valuable, and crummy as far as vintage computers go, so I passed.

The second stop was the Goodwill where I found one of the coolest things I've come across in a while, a vintage Sony CFS 500 Boombox. They wanted $35 for it, which is way too high, and it was kind of dirty and missing the battery cover. Regardless, even at that price, I could have cleaned it up and flipped it for $80 - $90. Alas, I plugged it in, and no dice, zero power coming to the thing. It still would have had some value if I could take it home and gotten it to work, but not worth the risk at the price they wanted, and I've never had any success at all haggling with Goodwill, so sadly I left it. Nothing else to speak of here

The Savers I walked in and out of in less than 5 minutes, I very rarely find anything worth speaking of at that chain.

So despite my cool and unusual finds, today turned out to be a bust.

Lost track of the amount of thrift stores I visited today (I kinda hate weekends since it's so crowded. So much easier to visit on the weekdays in the morning before work) but I picked up Metal Gear Solid (PS1), a large picture of downtown Houston at night (I really like these), Tenchu 2, a couple of boxed Playmobil figures, several boxed Hot Wheels annnnd yea that's it. One thrift store had large bags of Lego (Yay! I love lego!) but they wanted 50 bucks for each bag so no go there. Another thrift store STILL had the Michael Jackson CD History for 30. I think it's going to be sitting for a long while.

I stopped at the Savers closer to work tonight. Passed on a bunch of overpriced PS1 games like Medal of Honor and Sim Theme Park that I might have given some thought to if they weren't $3.99 each. Ended up picking up a copy of Final Fantasy 7 for the PC for $6 figuring I could flip it, but when I left the store I saw that the discs were pretty beat up. Worse yet, I'm a Mac user now, so I'll have to dig out my old Laptop that was on it's last legs when I replaced it last year just to test it out and see if the discs boot. Oh well, I guess it's a risk you have to take with this stuff.

[quote name='spmahn']I stopped at the Savers closer to work tonight. Passed on a bunch of overpriced PS1 games like Medal of Honor and Sim Theme Park that I might have given some thought to if they weren't $3.99 each. Ended up picking up a copy of Final Fantasy 7 for the PC for $6 figuring I could flip it, but when I left the store I saw that the discs were pretty beat up. Worse yet, I'm a Mac user now, so I'll have to dig out my old Laptop that was on it's last legs when I replaced it last year just to test it out and see if the discs boot. Oh well, I guess it's a risk you have to take with this stuff.[/QUOTE]

It might run under Wine or crossover...

[quote name='Survivalism']If you can run Crossover, you can just run Windows.[/QUOTE]

true. I was just pointing out that there are other options besides pulling out some crappy old laptop.

Found a copy of Super Mario World and Aladdin (SNES) for $1 each at GW today. There was also a stack of about 20 Atari cartridges priced at $2 each (all pretty gnarly looking: curling stickers, dirty, big numbers written across the labels in black marker); the gem of the bunch had to have been ET: The Extra Terrestrial. Sometimes I really don't understand how they arrive at their prices.

[quote name='Pirate331']Found a copy of Super Mario World and Aladdin (SNES) for $1 each at GW today. There was also a stack of about 20 Atari cartridges priced at $2 each (all pretty gnarly looking: curling stickers, dirty, big numbers written across the labels in black marker); the gem of the bunch had to have been ET: The Extra Terrestrial. Sometimes I really don't understand how they arrive at their prices.[/QUOTE]

I would assume its partially due to the different employees pricing them. Some think its old junk and prices it at $1, someone will see it as a video game, "Oh, I just bought my grandson that new Call of Duty game and it cost me $60, this one called madden must be the same so I'll price it for $20", someone might know its an old video game and unbiasedly priced all of them at $2. Well, you get the picture.

Picked up a bunch of board games in Ventura for only a few bucks. Everything is complete except for Horton Hears A Who, which is missing the timer. Scrutineyes and SongBurst have never been played and Anagramania was still sealed:
venturathriftgames.JPG

I'm not able to take a picture of it at the moment, but I also found one of those "Gee!! I Wish I Were A Man. I'd Join The Navy." posters. But instead of being a paper poster, it's on wood. I'll take a picture later if I can. It cost me less than $5.

EDIT: Here's a slightly crappy picture of the poster(?) in my car trunk:
navy.JPG

Stopped by a Goodwill on the way to the grocery store the other day and found a few hidden games. Most of them weren't any good, but I did find Maniac Mansion for $2 and some BuzzTime expansions for a dollar each. Ignore Wave Race and the DS game; they're unrelated:
miscgames.jpg

I posted this in the pickups thread but I grabbed a couple of Game Gear games (Shinobi 2, Ax Battler) at a local Goodwill for $6 each.

gamegear.jpg

They also had a Game Gear system that they wanted $40 for. More than I wanted to pay for a second Game Gear.

Picked up the following games to flip
Phantasy star 3 for sega - 1.99
Herzog zwei for sega - 1.99
Thunder force 3 for sega - 1.99
Streets of rage 2 for sega -1.99
Kenseiden fOr sega master - 1.99

Everything is CIB

[quote name='yoyo1316']Picked up the following games to flip
Phantasy star 3 for sega - 1.99
Herzog zwei for sega - 1.99
Thunder force 3 for sega - 1.99
Streets of rage 2 for sega -1.99
Kenseiden fOr sega master - 1.99

Everything is CIB[/QUOTE]
So much hate right now. Between work and the shitty weather I haven't been able to go in daaays :cry:

I had some interesting finds at the local thrift store. This store seems to be picking up in quality once again! yay for me.

IMAG0270.jpg

A boxed and complete Intellevision 2. I have not had the time to test it to see if it works yet. Also that is a Sonic bottle that was from Sega World, which was in London or Australia. Thought there might be other stuff from Sega World like plushes or the Sally Acorn or Tails bottles, sadly no go.

$12 at Goodwill.

cdx.jpg

Successfully tested using the weird RF Genesis adapter on my HDTV and played a few levels of Sonic 2 and some Cool Spot. I need to track down an AV adapter instead, much easier.

Please excuse my sink. ;)

Picked up a sony psp 1001b2 for $24 with tax.

It was marked "as is" when I saw it, so I inquire about it. The manager on duty said that when it was brought in, they tested to work with the AC adapter and was going to price it at $50, but they somehow lost the charger, so it's price at $25 and sold as is instead.

She let me have it for $22.50 since it's not returnable. The unit looks to be in descent shape, a few light scratches on the screen but that's about it. I just ordered a charger for it, hopefully it'll be functional.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

When I was lining up to pay for the PSP, this guy, who must have been arrived and wanted to look at the psp unit a few seconds after I grabbed it (as I was talking with the manager) came over and asked me to see if there is an "internet" port on it, and I told him no, and he insisted on looking at it, so I let him take a look. He then said, yea, that memory and charger is going to cost you another $50. I cooly told him that I have plenty of memory cards at home, and I can get a charger for less than 6 bucks on Amazon, where I can pay with my giftcards. He said okay and walked away...

Nice score on the PSP! And you gotta love people like that guy...I don't know if people like him don't know what they're talking about or if they're just hoping you don't know (could be a mix of both), but they seem to always show up during really good finds. They remind me a lot of GameStop employees...

I tried to pre-order the Assassin's Creed: Revelations bundle at GameStop yesterday and I was told that it's online-only. The chick working there tried to convince me to pre-order the game and flying machine separately (which costs more and I'd miss out on the action figure) through her because the bundle is "super limited" and it would be "next to impossible" to pre-order it. I must be charmed 'cause it was easy as punch and it still shows as available for me...obviously some kind of voodoo!

Oh, and CAG90210...
To put something in a spoiler, just put it between (spoiler) and (/spoiler) but replace the parentheses with brackets. You know, the [ and ] keys next to the P.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Nice score on the PSP! And you gotta love people like that guy...I don't know if people like him don't know what they're talking about or if they're just hoping you don't know (could be a mix of both), but they seem to always show up during really good finds. They remind me a lot of GameStop employees...

I tried to pre-order the Assassin's Creed: Revelations bundle at GameStop yesterday and I was told that it's online-only. The chick working there tried to convince me to pre-order the game and flying machine separately (which costs more and I'd miss out on the action figure) through her because the bundle is "super limited" and it would be "next to impossible" to pre-order it. I must be charmed 'cause it was easy as punch and it still shows as available for me...obviously some kind of voodoo!

Oh, and CAG90210...
To put something in a spoiler, just put it between (spoiler) and (/spoiler) but replace the parentheses with brackets. You know, the [ and ] keys next to the P.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip :)

[quote name='JJSP']$12 at Goodwill.

cdx.jpg

Successfully tested using the weird RF Genesis adapter on my HDTV and played a few levels of Sonic 2 and some Cool Spot. I need to track down an AV adapter instead, much easier.

Please excuse my sink. ;)[/QUOTE]

NICE find. Those are pretty expensive and they are nice to have as dedicated genesis/SCD units. I think they're a little more reliable than the other models, even. Very nice work.

cdx.jpg

Now THAT is one hell of a Goodwill score! Nicely done! Looks like it's in great shape too!

cdx.jpg

Wow what an amazing find man. I didnt even know that existed haha. I wish I could find one as I've got a few cool looking sega cd games I'd love to try :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back