Tom Clancy's The Division (Xbox One)

I feel like I am having more fun than in the beta and I have no idea why.
That seems to be the general consensus with most people I have talked to about it and the reason I finally fully caved. Here is to hoping I like it enough and even if I don't I will have my fightstick on the table in front of me with SFV loaded up so all I will have to do is switch channels to the ps4. Maximum nerd lazy!

I got my cousin playing this game, he said its so different an experience that he feels compelled to rush home to play and he doesn't know why.

Not sure why I'm having as much fun but there's a certain satisfaction in spraying a looter and rioter...cause the number of times you've seen some stuff happen in the subway or on the street and couldn't do anything.

Has anyone tried crafting yet? I haven't even visited the table.

The number of lvl 4 players in matchmaking for the Medical mission (Hard), was staggering...1/2 the players acted like broken AI. They stood in cover forever, then ran out and died, crawled to me, got a revive...stood in cover, ran out and died again. repeat.

The other mission that the open Beta had was worse because, the group I was with was under powered but they had a lot of heart so I couldn't abandon them.

I even failed an encounter that didn't allow for reset or anything. I actually don't even know what I was supposed to do because I heard some chatter from one mission and ran into an encounter that had chatter. Next thing I know, I drop a rioter and it said something like "Mercury dropped, encounter failed." Could have been Mercy dropped, whatever.

They definitely seemed to have upped the difficulty which is great.
and the surprise factor. Got stuff going on this week so not much playing time but I got "ambushed" by a boss walking around a corner. This was a boss that wasn't even on any mission or encounter. I am not mad but saying that they definitely changed it from the beta. Headshots still are the best bet to take something down.

I'll be playing this soon. I'll be honest, I haven't read the thread yet. But if anyone wants to play with me in the future, feel free to add me.

GT: BeFlatLine

Did the Lincoln Tunnel mission on hard last night as my first attempt, I figure I'm lvl 8, should be doable. NOPE...not when a lvl 11 joins your game. (and a lvl 9 on comms)

It was humbling to have to manage cover and your health in the first few battles, eventually we got through it...I leveled, looted some greens and cleared everything and started chipping away at the final boss. Then, the servers went down for maintenance. Gah! No credit, no boss drop, no reward drop. I did find out some avenues for success and better angles for next attempt.

I think I'll just speed solo it tonight on normal, respec and then go on hard.

Random: hey, if your med skill is up I could really use a heal...I'm out of medkits

Me: no problem.

Random: wow, full heal...thanks!

Me: I can carry 7 medkits

Random: the hell? LOL

Yeah...w/the talent I also heal 40% to my allies if they're nearby. It's awesome.

Does hard mode adjust to the group's level?
I think it does. I did the same mission twice (at different times and with different characters -- I have two) and the enemies scaled up on the second attempt because a random on the squad was a 16 (the rest of us were levels 10/11). I forget what level the enemies were, but they were definitely not the same as when I did it the first time. Wished the game did a better job matching people of similar levels as the mission was much harder that second time.

My only other complaint so far is that they could've (should've) done a better job with the story/narrative. I'm one of those people that don't think The Division is similar to Destiny at all, but in terms of the way the story is handled, they both are similar in their failures. I was expecting more cutscenes and things that tie the story missions together, and more drama to make you care about what you are doing. As it is, in both games, we're just doing disjointed missions that could easily be mistaken for random side missions if not for the increase in enemies and the larger scope of the arenas. Like, we defeated a boss of one of the factions and it didn't even really register with me until 15 minutes later when I went to check what achievement I had unlocked. I read the description and then it dawned on me what we just did. Aside from his armor, there was nothing special that made this boss stand out. Cutscenes would've helped; show us the atrocities he had done before, or show him taunting us, or something. Still enjoying the game, but could've been so much better, storywise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing some of these missions on hard ain't no joke. It wasn't one of the opening 3 missions that you do to unlock each wing of the base, but I think the second "Medical" mission you can do. It took literally an hour plus - mainly because the only way we could past the last area was remaining in a small opening above the area that the enemies couldn't reach and taking shots at whoever we could. As soon as any of us jumped up within view we got lit up and had to go back and heal. I wouldn't say it was "fun" exactly, but once we finally eliminated all the grunts and only had the boss himself to go it was pretty satisfying to get through...even if we had to cheese it to complete it.

And yeah, the difficulty will adjust to your group's level.

Playing some of these missions on hard ain't no joke. It wasn't one of the opening 3 missions that you do to unlock each wing of the base, but I think the second "Medical" mission you can do. It took literally an hour plus - mainly because the only way we could past the last area was remaining in a small opening above the area that the enemies couldn't reach and taking shots at whoever we could.
We did the exact same. I can't wait to find out if there are other, non-cheesy strategies for this mission on hard. We tried going to the platform on the right, but we would get bum rushed every time. That mission convinced me not to play on hard any more. The extra loot isn't worth it considering it takes so much more time. I'd rather level faster and craft my own end gear.

I was able to snipe the beginning ads and then throw my turret down so I could run for cover on ground level...then it was just a matter of whittling them down until I won.

We did the exact same. I can't wait to find out if there are other, non-cheesy strategies for this mission on hard. We tried going to the platform on the right, but we would get bum rushed every time. That mission convinced me not to play on hard any more. The extra loot isn't worth it considering it takes so much more time. I'd rather level faster and craft my own end gear.
Honestly the only reason I stuck with it (and keep in mind me and another guy were dead on the ground midway through the second wave of guys, so it was just 2 others picking off grunts) is because it was taking SO LONG to get through that it went from "screw this, this is never going to end" to "I'll laugh if they both just die after spending a half hour doing the same thing over and over." Once the grunts were gone we got revived and beat the boss in like 90 seconds.

Yeah, the gear really isn't worth it though.

it is fun for some reason when it's that difficult...which is probably why ppl go back to replaying when they're better equipped. For retribution.

I wish ppl would pulse more often, geeze...I might have to get the pulse upgrade for the turret because ppl don't use skills often enough, they just like to shoot things.

it is fun for some reason when it's that difficult...which is probably why ppl go back to replaying when they're better equipped. For retribution.

I wish ppl would pulse more often, geeze...I might have to get the pulse upgrade for the turret because ppl don't use skills often enough, they just like to shoot things.
Yeah, I think a lot of it is the game is still new and people want to try out the stuff they're unlocking. The vast majority of people seem to be rolling with some type of health ability, so pulse is the one that gets dumped when they want to try out the new stuff. I have a feeling once I get everything unlocked I'll be back to using something that has pulse on it.

I always run pulse as my first skill.  Information is vital.  I always want to know where the enemies are and exactly how many there are.  I also use the mod where we do more damage to any enemy that has been pinged.

My second skill slot is where I experiment and try new things.  That deployable cover can be super handy in a pinch.  Sometimes I just plunk it down in the middle of the open and draw aggro while everyone else picks off the enemies from the sides.

I meant I see players with the pulse skill but forget to use it. It's almost like they can't be bothered or it's only a numbers indicator then they just shoot forgetting there's a buff.

I like pulse a lot but I'm thinking it's becoming a crutch. I'm going to try the healing skill that boosts damage and how effective it is.

I meant I see players with the pulse skill but forget to use it. It's almost like they can't be bothered or it's only a numbers indicator then they just shoot forgetting there's a buff.

I like pulse a lot but I'm thinking it's becoming a crutch. I'm going to try the healing skill that boosts damage and how effective it is.
Honestly, I have it but my play time has been so sporadic that I keep forgetting about it. I like the turret at well, especially when I want to solo and not wait for people.

My luck with groups has been minimal as people seem to like to go blindly charging in. Only level 8 but I know that is a mistake.

Anyone noticing less rogue agents in the Dark Zone?  I feel like there were quite a few in the first two days.  Then it dropped off drastically.  In the past two, I haven't seen a single rogue agent in any of my DZ sessions.  I think the increase in AIs have made people more wary about hurting each other (cuz you might be low on health right as the AIs spawn in), plus the lack of real rewards for going rogue (which I'm ok with).

Anyone noticing less rogue agents in the Dark Zone? I feel like there were quite a few in the first two days. Then it dropped off drastically. In the past two, I haven't seen a single rogue agent in any of my DZ sessions. I think the increase in AIs have made people more wary about hurting each other (cuz you might be low on health right as the AIs spawn in), plus the lack of real rewards for going rogue (which I'm ok with).
after the stealth patch a lot of the rewards were reduced and dying while rogue was pretty devastating...my other theory is ppl got bored gearing themselves so easily and quickly. Or players your level aren't doing the DZ right now until they get geared or lvl 30.

I'm going to try and grind out some DZ rank tonight and hopefully get better loot...so if anyone is 16-18 (which I think is that tier) wants to team up post or send me a msg. I'm on xbox.

I'll be on around 4 PM to 7 PM EST. Level 13 or 14 I think.

Tried the DZ one time so far, at level 10, and barely got out of there... because I died like eight times just trying to extract. Thankfully respawned close enough to grab my gear, but only barely, and several times in a row, before being sniped again.

I didn't screw around in the DZ during the closed beta all that much, but I don't remember spawns raining down on the extraction zones, which happened to me constantly during this session. I only managed to get that junk out because two randoms were teamed up and also trying to extract, so they spent about ten minutes clearing out the area, which had maybe three or four separate groups of enemies roaming in and around it.

I've also had groups spawn literally on top of me, in the DZ and otherwise, about five times. Just running from point to point, and then baseball bat in the face out of nowhere.

Really enjoy everything so far, though. Best time was probably the first night when I got matched with three guys, two with mics, and we had a lot of fun for a while.

in the beta the DZ once cleared was a ghost town for spawns...now it's apparently a zoo when you try to extract.

I saw a video of a guy who flash banged a group of rioters and extracted in that disoriented window, then ran off to safety. the mobs didn't even notice.

There's also a theory that there are certain levels that ppl like to camp because it's easier due to what skills you can unlock or gear you can obtain before it gets harder to take out players as efficiently.

I'll be on likely 10 pm EST > midnight or 1 am ish.

I've also had groups spawn literally on top of me, in the DZ and otherwise, about five times. Just running from point to point, and then baseball bat in the face out of nowhere.
This is one thing I wish they would fix. For a game that is so well modeled on NYC and being somewhat "realistic," enemies should not materialize out of thin air. Have enemies spawn out of your squad's line of sight, then move to a designated location. That's more realistic and more fair. If I'm low on health, in cover, and in the middle of reloading, an enemy shouldn't spawn next to me with a baseball bat or shotgun.

I saw a video of a guy who flash banged a group of rioters and extracted in that disoriented window, then ran off to safety. the mobs didn't even notice..
One thing that we've been doing: Call an extraction then hide. Don't engage in combat even if AI spawns in. When chopper arrives, one person tosses down Support Station at the extraction point, then everyone tries to stealth extract. You should be able to complete it or at least be 75% of the way to attaching your loot before the AIs notice you (if at all). At full health, you should be able to withstand their initial bullets. Support station will revive you if you go down. Then just book it or engage in combat as you see fit.

yeah, I'm a big fan of the support station...I made my cousin a believer in it too after watching me play for a bit when we hung out. our play styles are different so it was enlightening to showcase what happens on my end of the screen.

thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try that as I haven't extracted as of yet or had reason to go to DZ much. So much PVE atm.

I might swap to flash bang sticky bomb for an extra option as well.

I found a place that spawns a bunch of cleaners and a named cleaner, they spawn as a group then go on patrol...it was weird to see them load in and then they BBQ'd me about 3 times before I was finally able to clear them due to additional adds that occupied other parts of the area which I didn't see.

Having a great time with this game and would love to play with some CAGs. Anyone interested? Please send me a request: gamertag Doctor Worm. Thanks!!

yeah...so visited the DZ last night, made the mistake of entering from DZ 06...proceeded to get 1 shot from lvl 30 elites. Didn't think they would spawn at that level when I was under lvl 20. I did manage to kill of them who was chipped away by other ppl I assume and then abandoned. Gave me 4 lvls.

The rest of the DZ experience in DZ 1-3 was just a bunch of ppl in my lvl bracket killing mobs and extracting. I have some DZ credits but the vendors all asking me to be DZ 30...yeah, lol.

I think tonight I'll just either grind some DZ rank and hopefully get some nice drops or start sweeping the encounters and side missions in each district.

I've been clearing side missions before doing the single player missions. I'm level... 16? And I've completed everything up to Times Square, which I'm working on. Maybe I'll hit the low end of the DZ solo after the tech mission in that area.

After a bit, I eventually just let the game run itself in regards to encounters/side missions....while walking towards a main story mission.

i.e. when you walk close enough to an area that has an encounter or side mission you get chatter on your comms to help or investigate...then you can cancel it or let it run.

It gives another sense of immersion because you had a plan to go somewhere but suddenly JTF needs back up or HQ calls in and asks for a favor. So far it's been more fun that way because I know if I tried I would 100% all the missions by the weekend if I didn't.

I'm lvl 19 now, which I believe is the top of the lvl ceiling for my bracket in DZ...going to try and make sure I make the most of that tonight...especially now that I have my 1st signature skill.

got a Socom Scar - L or H (blue), which ever is the AR version...as a mission reward last night...holy crap. Not only does it vent fire from the sides, it utterly shreds everything my level and below. (26)

I have to check the stability again and what mod I have on it but it almost fires like a laser.

Got some interesting gun skins from the vendor, at this point I'm pretty positive weapons skins no longer drop as loot. Maybe civilians might trade you one for a can of soda but that has yet to happen. While orange camo may not be the best skin to have on your guns in the winter, it almost goes with the Nat Guard uniform...and have a thanksgiving feel to it.

I've been clearing side missions before doing the single player missions. I'm level... 16? And I've completed everything up to Times Square, which I'm working on.
I did that at the start as well. Not specifically for you, but in case anyone was paranoid like me that they might not hit level 30 with just the story missions, I just reached 30 last night and still haven't cleared most of the right side of the map. So I've done all the story missions, and all the side missions and encounters on the left and bottom of the map (everything left and below the Dark Zone). If I had known, I probably would've been less anal about completing everything early on.

When you're at or close to 30, make sure to save some gear pieces that can up your firearm and stamina stats if you are interested in tackling the dailies and challenges when you hit 30. Right when I reached 30, a bunch of us attempted challenge mode just for giggles. We had a bad time and backed out. I bought a new gun and played some missions on hard for some purple drops. Got my firearm and stamina as high as I could, and it was SO much more manageable. It was still not a walk in the park, but it was doable.

I LOVE that they added matchmaking for everything. It's so satisfying when you and a bunch of randoms work so well together even with no mics on challenge mode.

At 26, my map is still lit up like a Christmas Tree...and I think I only have 1 wing mission left and then the final story mission. The rest are encounters and a few side missions.

There are several rewards for clearing an entire district however...and if you play it right you can get some serious gear on your journey to lvl 30.

So far last 2 random matchmaking have been great. I should hit 30 probably by tomorrow night w/my play schedule.

There are several rewards for clearing an entire district however...and if you play it right you can get some serious gear on your journey to lvl 30.
Absolutely! And nice XP boosts, too, as clearing all side missions in a zone counts as a mission itself. That's actually how I accidentally got to level 30. I was planning to stay at 29 until I got my DZ rank up higher, but I completed all the side missions in Stuyvesant, visited the safehouse, and got a ton more XP than I had expected.

the XP is great but the blueprints you get for completing all the missions in the district are usually really good for crafting...I know ppl keep saying just save all your material for 30 but, I couldn't resist making a few items to enhance the fun factor. no regrets.

Did a back to back encounter which was really close to the same area in the projects...that was fun, when I raided the apartment, no boxes. Nothing in the fridge, not even a scarf or pom pom hat. wtf? How is this a stronghold? lol.

Snow camo gun skins in the shop today! I bought 3, I love this skin for this setting, esp in the winter. Only things that I'd want now is green or blue camo to go with my outfit.

Lvl 28. I'm thinking I'll hit 30 tonight for sure.

Did a back to back encounter which was really close to the same area in the projects...that was fun, when I raided the apartment, no boxes. Nothing in the fridge, not even a scarf or pom pom hat. wtf? How is this a stronghold? lol.

Snow camo gun skins in the shop today! I bought 3, I love this skin for this setting, esp in the winter. Only things that I'd want now is green or blue camo to go with my outfit.

Lvl 28. I'm thinking I'll hit 30 tonight for sure.
Is it the same as the one you get from Ubisoft club?

no...the ubisoft club skin you buy w/uplay credits is not the same as the snow camo one that I just got in the clothes vendor last night.

personally the ubisoft club skin is not impressive, and they should have given you 3 so all your guns matched. Maybe if you had 3 and all your guns matched up AND you had an outfit w/matching pattern, it would look awesome.

...and they should have given you 3 so all your guns matched. Maybe if you had 3 and all your guns matched up AND you had an outfit w/matching pattern, it would look awesome.
I think you can get 3 of the unlocked camos by creating new characters. My main and my alt both have the camo that is given to people who played the alpha. Since camo is just an item, you could put the camo in the stash, then pick it up on your main. Do this one more time and you've got all three guns with the same camo.

I personally wouldn't do that because I use the camo to quickly tell which gun I have equipped.

Ah...good call. I'm rocking the urban mutlicam atm and likely until I get green or blue leaf.

I can see how the color ID'ing your guns would be good. So far I've gotten used to ID'ing my guns based on the reticle...the AR, SMG, & LMG are very different from the DMRs. I usually have something w/a DMR at all times.

I think you can get 3 of the unlocked camos by creating new characters. My main and my alt both have the camo that is given to people who played the alpha. Since camo is just an item, you could put the camo in the stash, then pick it up on your main. Do this one more time and you've got all three guns with the same camo.

I personally wouldn't do that because I use the camo to quickly tell which gun I have equipped.
I didn't even realize the stash was across all characters you make haha

But yeah I am the same way with my skins, from a distance it is hard to instantly recognize which gun you have equipped and so having three distinctly different ones equipped helps and is what I do too.

no...the ubisoft club skin you buy w/uplay credits is not the same as the snow camo one that I just got in the clothes vendor last night.

personally the ubisoft club skin is not impressive, and they should have given you 3 so all your guns matched. Maybe if you had 3 and all your guns matched up AND you had an outfit w/matching pattern, it would look awesome.
I really need to remember to check my clothing vendor more often. I like having different skins personally instead of matching. It makes it slightly easier to know which gun I'm using when I walk out of a safe house.

when I finally unlocked the vendor, it was the day "grey" wpn skin was available...I put it on some of my guns and said...umm..what's the difference?

in Beta I had "Tan" wpn skin and said..wow, like my gun got mud on it.

I broke down and picked this up, so now I can run with the CAG gang.  If you guys see me online or if you have a regular crew that gets together, let me know. 

I think I'm 20? Figured out that the best way to level is the story missions, so I'm just doing those now. Got several to go.

Or if you need some stuff explained, the Division isn't really the most forth coming w/explaining some of their game mechanics.

Here's a few things I learned from trial and error, the shooting range, videos, word of mouth and forums.

- Initial Bullet Stability (great stat for DMR/Marksman rifles)

-- essentially the time it takes for the bloom to return to zero, the higher the IBS the faster you can get your reticle back on your target...which would allow for more shots to their head.

- Horizontal Stability (great stat for more AR's, especially AK-47 and similiar)

-- while all guns recoil UP, some do shoot left or right in addition to up. This helps out a lot keeping your shots on target.

- Stability (great for LMG & AR's)

-- you fire, the gun kicks straight up. The higher the stat, the easier it is to manage and less it kicks upward.

- Accuracy (yeah)

-- it's the bullet spread/grouping. So if you fire 10 shots into a target w/your best effort to keep it steady, accuracy will group the bullets as close to where you're aiming as possible.

I didn't really apply any of these to SMG's since SMG's seem to be able to manage really well and are close range wpns, for SMG's i've been stacking crit chance, crit damage, and reload speed where possible.

I think I'm 20? Figured out that the best way to level is the story missions, so I'm just doing those now. Got several to go.
unless you're goal is to hit 30 ASAP, it's worth it to complete all the side missions in a district or particular ones as the rewards for some are pretty decent...plus it gives a boat load of XP. I wouldn't recommend going back to the starter area at lvl 20, but definitely consider trying for areas about your level bracket and up.

I've been doing that, but I've also explored really low level areas and found that the enemies and items scale. So, I figure by waiting until 30 or close to it, the drops and rewards from the low level side missions will end up being better than something that becomes easily obsolete.

Items and enemies scale to a degree, blueprints do not scale.

There's some really good blueprints to get as a reward for completing all side missions in certain districts.

Right, but I think I'm waiting until after I get to 30 and complete the story to start working on gear, so having the blueprints now wouldn't make a difference.

bread's done
Back