10% off disc10
Latest Transformers news:

• Dark of the Moon toyline to be released at retail on May 15, 2011
  • Transformers Prime toyline to be released at retail in October 2011
Latest Transformers figures available at retail now:

• Generations Warpath, Kup, and Scourge
  • Dark of the Moon Preview Pack Cyberverse Optimus Prime

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that stores reduced their TF footprint because of Star Wars.  Hasbro isn't helping by running two lines of TF toys, both of which have nothing new for months, followed by a flurry of releases, followed by a drought.  They've never been particularly good about this, but this year seems worse than most.

Most of the Wal-Marts around me -- you can't even tell they have a TF section.  There's maybe a handful of bots. 

Target is only marginally better.  It looks like they get a case of something, then it's gone.  I saw the Combaticons once.  The Sky Reign stuff seems to be in much better supply, so I think most Targets/Wal-marts just didn't bother with the Combaticon wave or got a single case and called it a day.

Hasbro also isn't helping with the selection.  I see plenty of leaders...since no one wants them.  Yet they suck up shelf space.  Ultra Magnus was in and out in a flash, yet the CW Jets hang around like mold.  It's really not hard to see why -- most who would want that size would just get a Masterpiece instead of a repurposed Jetfire.  Who, exactly, is the market for recolor after recolor of this toy? 

The thing that kills me is that CW -- at least the Deluxes and Voyagers -- are undeniably popular.  They move.  And then they don't get reordered, or they ship a billion Silverbolts.

I do a lot of SMH these days.

Yeah like you said, Hasbro's always been terrible at this (MORE BUMBLEBEE!  That's what the people want!) but this seems more absurd than usual.

I understand getting as much use out of molds as possible to maximize returns, but does anyone really want all these G1 autobots combiner wars versions (Sky Reign and whatever the goofy repainted Prime was called)?  I guess people who might have missed out on the various CHUG releases maybe?  Hell, I didn't even buy the original CW Prime release as it was clearly just Motormaster cosplaying as Prime.

Goddamn, what is with stores and TF's lately. I haven't seen shit in terms of new stuff. No Onslaught or SkyLynx. Haven't even seen the RiD packs that are a glorified commander class figure with a minicon (got the BB set off HBTS. I'm a sucker for armor pieces that combine into a weapon).

Watch Groove end up costing more than an import. SMH.
Just saw an onslaught, really looking for a sky lynx though.

Just saw an onslaught, really looking for a sky lynx though.
Saw one, in a specialty figure store for an outrageous $53.99. Looks awesome, though. Never thought I would say that about Sky Lynx.

I understand getting as much use out of molds as possible to maximize returns, but does anyone really want all these G1 autobots combiner wars versions (Sky Reign and whatever the goofy repainted Prime was called)? I guess people who might have missed out on the various CHUG releases maybe? Hell, I didn't even buy the original CW Prime release as it was clearly just Motormaster cosplaying as Prime.
I don't mind them too much. I would rather have something like Sky Reign (with a new Sky Lynx and remolds/retools) than G2 Superion/Menasor, though I realize G2 has its fans. (I am not one of them). I would also rather have that than stuff like Victorion or GenericCombinerBot 5 or the truly horrid recolors of FoC Bruticus.

If you are going to do repaints/remolds/retools, I would much rather have G1 fanservice than "Energon Breakdown" or slapping a new/reused name on a recolor or the endless, pointless color swaps we've gotten before. At least there's some effort, and along with it we get something new every so often. Because CW is interchangeable, you're not forced into buying something you don't really want. Want to make Sky Lynx with a bunch of Aerialbots? Go right ahead.

I still have Energon Wheeljack just because I think a combinable Wheeljack is interesting. Neither it nor Sky Reign Wheeljack are going to be the best mold of the character, but they do something different. The new Wheeljack and Smokescreen both have some really nice details and paint jobs (mostly). They're better than the things Hasbro typically farts out. I'm still not a fan of the Offroad mold, but Trailbreaker is the best use of it yet.

(You got me on Hound though -- -- this mold works for Swindle and the Combaticons, but this style of military vehicle doesn't really work alongside two sportscars and a pickup truck.)

There are three things I hate way more:

1) To me, Victorion is a much more shameless cash grab. New hands, feet, a sword, and a terrible paint scheme, but it's "fan's choice". Congrats to marketing, I guess, because they got people excited over a random assortment of recolors, and the only real "choice" was which overused mold we got again.

2) The fifth wheels they've been throwing at us, only to later say "Oh, hey -- here's the one you wanted all along as a special release that will be a pain in the ass to track down at a reasonable cost." I'm looking at you Alpha Bravo, Offroad, Rook, "Blast Off", and the other wannabes. When I can pick up the inevitable cheap extra torso, I'll make a combiner of all the sad sack losers. Depressicus. Awkwardicon. It needs a good, hopeless name.

3) The Legends class. $10 for these guys, and they're still churning out recolors of awful molds (Pipes) or laughably bad new ones (Buzzsaw). To top it off, they are supposed to combine with Combiner Wars but they either don't, or don't well. There have been a couple of good ones, but most of these are wastes of money and plastic.

Just realized the best part of all the combiner wars recolors:  It's saved me a pretty decent chunk of money!  Seriously, my TF purchases have drastically been reduced cuz not much has come out (and what is out is hard to find)... So I ordered MP Magnus with the money I saved :p

Just saw MP Shockwave on HLJ and it is HOT! Might have to make this my first MP since I missed out on Grimlock!

Truk not Munky.
Fatimus Prime

Ultimate Beast Hunters Prime

Age of Extinction Leader Prime

Kre-O Battle Changer Prime

Your argument is invalid.

In other news,

Compy-Comparison-200x134.jpg

Follow this link to TFW for a bigger picture and comparison of Hasbro's and Takara's Computrons. Hasbro's looks terrible in comparison. The only thing that's better is the feet. I can only hope that, even though it's an official image, that the final release will be toned down a la Victorion.

I almost decided to go with the Unite Warriors Bruticus, and decided they both were off in ways that it didn't matter too much to warrant so much extra cost. In this case, one looks like the real thing and the other looks like a KO fever dream found at Big Lots. More on Bruticus later, but it was not as much as I was hoping for.

"deluxe" Quillfire, Thunderhoof, and CW Voyager Onslaught up on Hasbrotoyshop.com.  Use code APRILSHIP for free shipping over 25.00.

Still no Skylynx :(

I was at Walmart and found a Leader Class Combiner Wars Starscream. I have seen pictures before online, but never seen one in person. I couldn't leave him there to be destroyed or stolen by someone whom might not appreciate him. ;)

Was he re-released with the new batch of Combiner Wars figures?

There's not many Transformers I would buy for myself, but I couldn't pass this one up. He's not quite as easy to transform as the silver tank Megatron, but he's also nowhere near the difficulty of Ultra Magnus either. I love the paint job and the crown on Starscream even if it's a repaint of another character. They've done a pretty good job of making him resemble the classic Starscream I grew up with.

My kids and I only own maybe 10 Combiner Wars figures because we just started getting them last year. Starscream and Megatron are easily the top 2 of the ones we own.

Ultra Magnus is the worst of them. He feels incredibly cheap and hollow. There's 2 red pieces on the side/back of his legs that keep popping off and the Minimus Transformer is difficult to transform without popping arms off.

What are some of everyone's favorites from the Combiner Wars line? My kids and I can't really afford Masterpiece editions.

The Target Cartwheel App currently has a deal going on till 5/7 for 15% off Transformers Generations figures.

Is it my imagination or are modern Transformers toys complete shit? Bought Blades for my son today, and the leg is already popping off.

Huge amounts of cost cutting alongside rising prices.  Cheaper plastic, smaller figures, significantly less paint apps.  All while they There's still some good to decent stuff out there, and while I wouldn't say complete shit there's a lot that's not great. 

As for loose limbs, try some "Pledge with future" floor polish (tile and vinyl).  Legit serious.  it'll build the ball joint up a little at a time to make them less floppy or prone to popping off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R28igxg_FCY

Huge amounts of cost cutting alongside rising prices. Cheaper plastic, smaller figures, significantly less paint apps. All while they There's still some good to decent stuff out there, and while I wouldn't say complete shit there's a lot that's not great.
I would say that in some ways, you can find better Transformers than ever. Between the Masterpiece figures and many of the third party offerings, there is an amazing amount of really good figures out there. The downside is that this costs money, and more than it should cost. Masterpiece figures are overpriced for what you get, for the most part.

Hasbro is a complete mixed bag. Generations has had some amazing figures, but I think the cost cutting in the recent years has affected the quality. I think the last *really good* series we had was the first Prime and the early Generations/Reveal the Shield. Since then, it's been higher cost/lesser quality with some real extremes in quality. There have been great figures, utter crap, and everything in between. So many figures are *this close* to being good or great, but are lacking in important areas.

As much as I like Combiner Wars, it's kind of middling in the quality area. Some of the figures/combiners have been very strong, while others have been lacking in paint, sculpt, quality, or in other ways. Menasor is a perfect example -- so close to being great, brought down by some bad decisions. The shameless recoloring is also bringing down my enthusiasm, as is Hasbro's typically awful distribution. I am also pretty frustrated by Takara wanting to beat Hasbro at its game time and time again, but even though they are *better*, they're not really *that much* better to be worth the substantial extra cost.

So it's hard. Hasbro is a frustrating company, who has abandoned the idea of being great in favor of being thoroughly average and not really giving too many f*cks about it. It caters to fans, sort of, but makes life difficult and delivers a lot of half-hearted or bewildering gestures, like the insane Platinum line or the crazytown exclusives. There has never been a better time to find incredible versions of figures you love, but it's also very costly to get the really good stuff.

As for loose limbs, try some "Pledge with future" floor polish (tile and vinyl). Legit serious. it'll build the ball joint up a little at a time to make them less floppy or prone to popping off.
If it is just for joints, you can also use clear nail polish. Give the joint a coat or two, let it dry completely, and it will be 100% better.

Pledge with Future has a bonus use -- if you like to paint or add paint to your figures, it will make a nice protective coat when you're done. Pledge with Future is awesome stuff!

I'm new to the masterpiece series, so bare with my noob questions.

I'm really looking forward to getting optimus primal, but I think I only saw takara having its release planned. Is there a chance hasbro will be releasing it any soon? Or the import is the only way..?

I'd be surprised if the Beast Wars MP got a US release, but there's no telling with Hasbro.  Maybe there'll be an announcement at Comic-Con given that it's Beast Wars 20th anniversary.

I'd be surprised if the Beast Wars MP got a US release, but there's no telling with Hasbro. Maybe there'll be an announcement at Comic-Con given that it's Beast Wars 20th anniversary.
Thanks for the reply.
So in any ways I have to wait until october I guess!

The 1986 animated movie is getting a 30th anniversary Blu-ray release this September, with a Limited Edition version that includes a steelbook.  No word yet on extras.

A Blu-ray complete set of Prime is also slated for August.

BigBadToyStore is having a July 4th sale through July 12th with numerous Transformers included.  MP Bumblebee at $59.99 is less than the $64.99 that popped up in TRU's inventory earlier this year.  Comic-Con isn't until a week and a half later where an official announcement of a US release might be made (with hopefully a more show accurate color).  Pretty sure I got the Hasbro Toy Shop reissue of Blaster a few years ago, but don't remember if I got Perceptor from TRU.  Would definitely be in on that Platinum 2-pack if I didn't already have reissues of them.  Never saw the Platinum release of the G1 Insecticons, but I'm pretty sure I got the earlier TRU reissue.

MP Inferno and MP Cheetor are looking great.

BigBadToyStore is having a July 4th sale through July 12th with numerous Transformers included. MP Bumblebee at $59.99 is less than the $64.99 that popped up in TRU's inventory earlier this year. Comic-Con isn't until a week and a half later where an official announcement of a US release might be made (with hopefully a more show accurate color). Pretty sure I got the Hasbro Toy Shop reissue of Blaster a few years ago, but don't remember if I got Perceptor from TRU. Would definitely be in on that Platinum 2-pack if I didn't already have reissues of them. Never saw the Platinum release of the G1 Insecticons, but I'm pretty sure I got the earlier TRU reissue.
You can also get the Masterpiece G2 Bumblebee, which is regular Bumblebee with shiny gold paint and no Spike/Exo-Suit for 49.99.

You also may want to hold off on the Insecticons, Blaster/Perceptor, G1 Seekers, or that ugly Blitzwing/Astrotrain redeco. There seem to be a *lot* of these things floating out there.

I had an interest in Galvatron, but watching a review put me off of him...the hollow wrists, treads hindering articulation, and the purple head crest that has to flip up instead of being part of his head...

...just...bleh.

Looks like it's Fort Max for me, and that's it...sticking to MPs.

Some of the Titans Returns figures look good but I think I'm just pretty much done collecting TF's. I didn't buy much from CW other than some legion figures, leader UM and Devastator. May get the occasional MP but otherwise the price point for deluxe figures is too much especially considering how inferior some look and feel compared to how great they were during Generations, Classics, Universe.

Reports are coming in that Sky Lynx is available at some Ross and other discount stores.

I visited some stores today.  I did not get a Sky Lynx.

Ross: No evidence of anything

TJ Maxx: Found 2x Onslaught and 2x Scattershot @14.99 each

Marshalls: Found 1x Onslaught and 1x Scattershot @14.99 each

I gave up.  From what I've heard of the shipment waves, this isn't the wave Sky Lynx shipped with.  It could be that there just aren't any around me.  It was a nice thought.

I'm still not convinced SkyLynx ever released at retail, despite stories and evidence to the contrary.  Hasbro has been wonky for a while now, but the most recent few waves are really just fucked up.  RID and Generations both. 

So I temporarily said screw it and imported a few MP's to get my TF fix.  Shockwave (Lazerwave) and Ironhide.  (random ebay 25 off 75+ coupons helped ;)

Shockwave is faithful as hell to his toy and cartoon appearances in the right places, but is kinda boring for it.  Both modes are a bit dull, lack paint apps/details, and the transformation is just OK.  I expect more from an MP, but like I said the developers were constrained with the actual design of the character being a bit dull, lacking in details, and a simple transformation lol.  Honestly the only thing I can legit hold against it is the lack of batteries in the box (for something this expensive throw me a bone already) and so many obvious screw holes in alt mode.  Big props to the "hose" though.  Instead of a rubber hose that will disintegrate over time like the G1 fig, it's actually a painted spring.  They even ran a piece of cord through the middle to make sure it wouldn't get overstretched.  So cord restricts the length, but spring lets it bend and be more rigid.  Very clever.

Ironhide on the other hand... holy shit, I fucking LOVE LOVE LOVE this figure.  Rarely have I seen such incredible, complex yet intuitive, plastic origami.  Just amazing.  Looks soooo good in both modes, just the right level of detail, fun accessories that are both homages to the show and G1 toy (which I sadly never had).  And as a bonus little to no gaps!  Seriously, it's just mind boggling how well they pulled off this figure.  Only nit picks I have are a big "diaper" waist/crotch, some slightly odd proportions (partly caused by the diaper), and I wish the hip skirt pieces could be removed, even if it'd make him a parts former.  But these are suuuuper nit picky.  If you're thinking of getting him, do it.  Do it now.

Inferno pre-orders are up at HobbyLinkJapan if anybody was waiting. Looking to be an awesome lineup for MP this fall...Optimus Primal and Inferno in Sep.and Nov., and maybe Cheetor to close out the year? Then Grapple is a no brainer for one of the first 2017 releases. Also have 2 of 3 Coneheads out now (though they're limited runs...fully expect Hasbro to give them US releases though, just to keep milking the mold), and a rerelease of Skywarp (still expensive, though).

Also, any 3rd party collectors: Fans Toys let loose the motherload of MP releases at TFCon. They showed off Galvatron, Grimlock (color test shots for both), and they also revealed that they have a Weirdwolf and Springer in the works. Combine all of that with a Blitzwing, Scourge, Cyclonus and Hot Rod in the works...they have a huge slate of forthcoming awesomeness. But it didn't end there: Skyfire was officially revealed, and he looks absolutely, 100% cartoon perfect.

Between Takara and Fans Toys, my MP collection is becoming overwhelming...this time next year I'll need two more detolfs...

Anyone have any insight on when HasbroToyShop.com is supposed to put up their SDCC stuff?  I've been out of the game for a while, but really want that Soundwave Tablet.

Anyone have any insight on when HasbroToyShop.com is supposed to put up their SDCC stuff? I've been out of the game for a while, but really want that Soundwave Tablet.
Not yet. Last year was July 28, but it was announced two weeks earlier, which hasn't happened this year. I was hoping they would use last year as a model, since that was the most organized ever.

If you don't care if it's the SDCC one (and don't mind gold) you can always get the Asian version:

http://tfsource.com/asia-exclusive/xiaomi-soundwave-gold/

Well, crap.  I'll be at work. 

Maybe it's okay.  The exclusives are Fort Max (which I'm not getting), the Titan Force set (where all I would want would be Brainstorm), and the Soundwave tablet, which I can order elsewhere.

Guess I'll do that.  Problem solved!

I usually like translucent figures, but Sentinel Prime is ug-ly.  I can't decide if it's worse than the regular retail one.

The last news I read said that the Walgreens exclusive release of Deluxe Brainstorm should happen in November.

Picked up the first wave of Titans Return deluxes.  I was a big fan of the G1 Headmasters and still have most of them, and so these had a lot to live up to.

Overall, this wave is actually quite nice!  All the figures use pearlized plastic, which gives them more of a Takara look and less of a flat, toy look.  All of them come with heads, weapons, and an additional 'seat' for the head.  Some of them implement this better than others.  Comic books are gone, but trading cards stay.  I am all for this change if it means (as it appears) that the cost of the comic went into making the figures better.

Remaining appearance is paint with some pre-applied stickers.  This works pretty well -- Hardhead and Scourge come out pretty well, but Skullsmasher and Blurr are typical under-decorated figures.

Heads are small and very G1.  Unlike the G1 toys, they do have head turning ability in both the small figure and the robot.  They lost the built-in tech spec apparatus and the ability to flip the brow to disguise the head.  I worry a little bit about durability -- the necks on the heads are delicate.  Some recommend turning some of the heads 180 when being placed in the robots -- this reduces the 'grab' -- but it only works on some of them.

The short version:

Skullsmasher: Worst of the lot.  Loose joints in robot mode, tabs that don't work in crocodile mode, and the very cheap looking and feeling tail falls off.  It's gappy and there are a lot of poor design decisions.  Avoid this one.

Hardhead: Quite nice!  Great update of G1 Hardhead.  Looks great in both modes, solid in both, and a more interesting transformation than expected for what is typically a pretty simple figure.

Scourge: Great!  Not a fan of the vehicle undercarriage junk, but the rest is just right.  More detailed in vehicle mode, yet still very faithful to the G1 appearance.  Robot mode looks great as well.

Blurr: Great figure with a questionable deco.  The model is G1 Blurr done right -- the vehicle is spot on, and the robot is excellent.  The only problem is that I don't like the darker blue color, and the massive preponderance of it.  Robot mode is actually kind of boring because of all that blue.

The longer version:

Skullsmasher -- Almost a complete failure.  The dark green plastic is nice, but the pink is more garish and toy-like.  The crocodile has two nice bits -- soft plastic in the crocodile mouth, and the way the shoulders come together at an angle.  This goodwill is undone by the rear half of the figure being a nightmare in both modes.  In croc mode, the tabs don't hold together well and the tail falls off, which then causes the tabs to unpeg.  The cockpit is made from soft plastic, which is difficult to seat correctly.  The tail is bulky partsforming, full of holes and obviously empty, and doesn't work well as a shield or a gun.  Croc mode is gappy and looks pretty bad from every angle except the one they put on the package art.

There's at least one third party version of this figure.  If you're desperate for this figure, go for that instead of this.    This one is definitely cheaper.  That's the problem.

Hardhead -- Now that's more like it!  Strongly pegged and solid in vehicle mode.  The gun can stay attached through transformation and works with a range of motion in both modes.  The gun also opens up for an additional seat for a headmaster figure.  Robot mode is nicely proportioned and sculpted, with fists at an angle, rounded limbs, and lots of articulation.  Paint and plastic color is varied and breaks up monochromatic areas.  Pretty much everything about the G1 figure is updated and improved here. 

Scourge -- Updates the G1 model, improving almost everything, with a few limitations.  The bulkiness of the backpack is reduced, articulation is improved, and Scourge is now a Headmaster, while maintaining his distinctive look.  There are a couple of downsides -- no waist articulation, and a little too much blue in robot mode.  The G1 model had white thighs, which did a lot to break up the blue.  Apart from that, I quite like the look of both modes.

Blurr -- At once awesome and a little bit disappointing.  I think the model is great in both modes.  It's the color that's holding me back.  Vehicle mode looks terrific, maintaining the G1 idiosyncracies -- the shape, the break in the middle -- while making it look even more cohesive and stylish.  Robot mode looks great in a different way -- detailed, articulated, and better proportioned.  There's a little bit of kibble, but the overall look is very cool.

The problem is that it's a dark aqua blue, with even darker blue accents.  The robot mode is overwhelmingly this dark blue color that just does not look correct to me.  I'm not alone.  The Takara version is much more like the animation model.  I could probably get past it if they had broken up the blue in robot mode, and it's a shame they chose not to.  Because of this, I'll probably end up getting a Takara version.  It just looks so much better to my eyes. 

Overall thoughts:

I'm digging it.  Skullsmasher is a disappointment, to be sure.  The rest are great updates.  The figures are solid in both modes, the heads are a nice touch, and the care and thought that went into the figures is impressive.  They feel higher quality and look better than Combiner Wars, and are worthy of the Generations line.  Even Blurr -- if Takara hadn't done such an impressive job going after the show version, I'd be fine with this one (although a little more variety would have helped).

I am also on board with changing Targetmasters to Headmasters.  I think it works, and cockpits were ingeniously worked into both Scourge and Blurr (who didn't have them before).  I'm excited to see where this line goes

Nice write up as usual blandstalker.  I'll still pick up everything if I ever see the damn things in a store that isn't TRU (I refuse the pay ~20 bucks for a deluxe.  fuck you TRU, seriously), but am definitely considering importing Blurr and Scourge.  Blurr because Takara's release >>>>>> Hasbro's, and Scourge because not only is the deco of Takara's so much better, but then one (or more) domestic release become Sweeps.

Sad, as I never pull the "I'll just import Takara's" card, but there's a wiiide gap as opposed to what is usually fairly minor differences.

Nice write up as usual blandstalker. I'll still pick up everything if I ever see the damn things in a store that isn't TRU (I refuse the pay ~20 bucks for a deluxe. fuck you TRU, seriously),
I got mine at TRU. My local TRU was charging the insane price of $22 for CW Deluxes and they didn't even have Titans Return. I went to the next closest TRU and Titans Return was $15.99. That's the same price as Target (more or less -- Targets fluctuate between 14.99 and 16.99). I don't know if that is chain-wide, but TRU has pulled this kind of crap before. I don't know why they think figures will sell for more after everyone who wanted one has already gotten them.

but am definitely considering importing Blurr and Scourge. Blurr because Takara's release >>>>>> Hasbro's, and Scourge because not only is the deco of Takara's so much better, but then one (or more) domestic release become Sweeps.

Sad, as I never pull the "I'll just import Takara's" card, but there's a wiiide gap as opposed to what is usually fairly minor differences.
Yeah, same here. I like Takara better in general, but I have never made a habit of going the import route.

In this case, Takara Blurr and Scourge look like they just stepped out of the show. And using domestic Scourge for sweeps is a brilliant idea which I'm going to steal!

Well, looks like Hasbro has their next shelfwarmer on deck -- you can tell if your store got Titans Return or not if there's a lonely Sentinel Prime.  I've spotted the Voyagers at Target, Walmart, and TRU (same price at all three)  Also saw Masterpiece Bumblebee and Fort Max at TRU.

I won't be buying Sentinel Prime or Fort Max, so on to...

Titans Return Galvatron

The short version: Everything good is balanced out by missed opportunities and ad hoc design.  I want to like it more, but I have no enthusiasm to do so.

Positives:
    + Great robot mode and figure. Short of Masterpiece or 3rd party, this is the Galvatron you are looking for
    + Lots of nods back to the original toy

Negatives:
    - Weak vehicle modes
    - Tab and kibble issues
    - Cheap looking clear plastic

Galvatron's positives are in his robot mode.  Simply put, he looks great.  As a figure, it's not 100% the animation model, but it is closer than we've ever gotten outside of third parties.  All the high points and details are there -- the purple, the red six-pack, the gunmetal and red accents.  The grey plastic is subtly pearlized and the red paint is notably nice.

The cannon mode suffers from kibble and visual clutter.  It somehow manages to be even less convincing than the G1 vehicle, which was itself a crazy design.  There is a third, spaceship mode that is actually mostly good.  It's just a little unfortunate that this alt mode, which isn't as strongly associated with the character, is better than the "real" one.

The longer version:
There are some drawbacks to robot mode.  The first is that, while the flip-top faceplate is clever, it prevents Galvatron's head from turning.  The headmaster does -- the faceplate can't.  I'm actually quite baffled by this design, since there is no reason why the purple couldn't have been sculpted into the headmaster, although then it might have been a little more non-standard and would have had difficulty fitting into headmaster turrets and cockpits.

Galvatron's cannon pegs into the top of the arm (rather than underneath or on the side), which feels strange.  It's not a big deal, but it feels a little in the way. Finally, there is some kibble on the back of the arms and the backpack.  It's not too much, but the treads look and feel in the way.

Probably the most disappointing thing for me is the orange cannon.  In the G1 toy, it was a darker clear orange with glitter, closer to amber than orange.  The glitter sounds silly, but gave the sense of "space" and "cosmic", so it sort of worked. This orange is softer and neon, and it reminds me of nothing more than a cheap squirt gun.  That's the total opposite of what they should be going for.  Note that in the stock and publicity photos, it's a darker crystal orange.  I feel cheated.  Once again, Takara is puttting out a substantially more accurate figure...

One odd thing is that there is, like many recent Hasbro figures, a preponderance of one color.  It's especially weird in this case because there are *two* purples -- the body purple, and a slightly more muted, softer purple.  There is also purple accent paint which matches the softer purple.

In some spots, this is too much purple.  Galvatron's arms are almost totally purple, and the vehicle treads are totally purple.  Why the treads themselves weren't made gunmetal is baffling.  Like with Blurr, I can't really fault this as lack of paint, so much as a failure of using the colors and plastics they already have applied in a more aesthetically pleasing way.

Of interest is that in the various modes, there is the cockpit section and a dark grey piece attached to it.  These echo back to the trigger and targeting reticule on the G1 toy.  Those aren't present on this toy, but they have different functions here and it's neat to see how they made it into this design, even if their function is completely new.

On to "cannon mode".  The original Galvatron was a turrety, cylindrical tanky sort of thing.  It was not terribly convincing, and the show altered it a bit when Galvatron transformed.  This model tries to go for that look.   However, they decided to add in a spaceship mode and make it a Headmaster.  These things added kibble to the cannon mode and it suffers for it.  It sort of looks like a cannon, but mostly it looks like a pile of junk.

There are treads on the side, but nothing in the back.  Is it a tank?  A platform?  How does it aim or move?   I have no idea.  There is so much junk that it distracts from making it into a cohesive thing. 

I'm not even sure what the rear half is supposed to be.  It does tab together, but weakly and it doesn't hold well. It also looks unfinished.  You can see inside and the backs of Galvatron's robot legs and it really doesn't look like anything intentional.  I had to read the instructions to know I was done transforming Galvatron, and that's always a bad sign.

Galvatron also has a "spaceship" mode, that is somewhat more successful.  The main body reminds me of a Colonial Viper from BSG or, with the mahonkin' cannon strapped underneath the cockpit, an anime starship.  It's not a bad look.  From the sides, it's actually decent.  From the back, however, it looks like a spread-eagled robot.  With the cannon, it's a bit ridiculous, but it does have a kind of anime vibe.

Summary:  Good robot, disappointing cannon, and surprisingly decent spaceship.  However (and it's a big however), I would have rather had a good robot and decent cannon and no spaceship.  It just floors me that what should be the easiest mode is the one that turned out so craptastically because it is weighted down with junk from the other modes.

There are some things to like.  It's definitely better than Universe Galvatron.  Having "Nucleon" (who looks like Megatron) be Galvatron's head is amusing and it makes it work as a Headmaster. It's just a shame that what should be a slam dunk -- the robot to cannon -- just doesn't quite work.

Speaking of Galvatron, he and a bunch of the other Wave 1 Titan Returns figs are up as coming soon on HasbroToyShop, for those like myself who can't seem to find them in stores.  Hopefully can be ordered soon... 

I assume they're nowhere near me because stores are resetting their toy arrangements.  Maijer had tags for everything... just barren hooks :(

Victorion (short review)

Positives:

+ Colors are nice and complimentary

+ Unified color scheme looks good in all modes

+ Lots of remolding

+ The sword

Negatives:

- Pyra Magna is underpainted and cheap feeling

- Box art flat out lies about paint applications

- Those damn helicopters

- Rust Dust, aka WhY mY sh0ulDerS HuRT? v2.0

I found Victorion on AWD for $60, which overcame my resistance.  It was just damage to the box, which I'm not keeping anyway.  I think it's worth that, though it is not without flaws.

The best thing about Victorion is the color scheme and new paint applications.  I love the muted green color, and it goes well with the red color.  I would have preferred a more "brick" red color, since the characters are supposed to be associated with rust.  This red is too bright and shiny to pull that off.  That said, the colors go well, are not eye-bleeding like the prototypes, and (for the most part) don't look toy like.

The cars and helicopters look glorious.  If that amount of quality had been consistent across the set, I would recommend it without reservation.  Unfortunately, that's not the case.  But let's spread some love first.

The cars and helicopters are all a nice mix of the red and green.  The helicopters are mirrors of each other, while the cars each sport their own decos.  The glossy red, muted green, and silver all look consistently great.  All of them have Cybertronian writing.  That isn't really a thing for me, but any attention to detail is nice.  On the robot body parts, they also have a flat red which is not as nice as the shiny painted red, but it doesn't look out of place.  Paint and balance are good in both modes -- no robot looks overly monochromatic or unpainted.  These parts of the set are really great, and as much as I dislike the Alpha Bravo helicopter mold, this is the best they've ever looked.

Pyra Magna, on the other hand, looks like she was late to the party.  Mostly flat red with some shiny red accents, Pyra Magna looks plain in vehicle mode though decent in robot mode.  The flat red makes her look more like a toy and the plastic feels lighter and flimsier, to the point that it barely feels like a Transformers toy.  The wheels are cheap and the rims are unpainted.  At least that is consistent with the rest of the Voyagers, but it's baffling here in a special gift set.  You can see a lot more paint and variety in robot mode.  In torso mode, however, it's monochromatic and cheap looking and feeling plastic.  The bright red used on the chest is an eyesore, and the flat black and flat gray is boring.

Here's where I also point out that the box art flat out lies to you.  On the very box it came in, the flat red chest pieces are obviously painted, as are all the flat grey pieces, including the combined shoulders, hands, feet, and ladder assembly.  What should be the star of the show looks underpainted and plain.  The red, green, silver combination really works, which is also why it stands out that a bunch of parts should be silver but are boring flat grey.

And Rust Dust.  Ah, Rust Dust.  I thought my hate would be reserved for the helicopter mold I loathe so much, but it's you that takes the cake.  Originally Groove (where it kinda sucked), and then Wreck-Gar (which I refused to buy), this mold looks weirdly proportioned as both a motorcycle and robot.  Two strikes.  It also forms the chest piece, which you kind of need since Victorion's chest otherwise is plain and boring.  (Yes, I said that about a female combiner.  Deal.)

I wanted to have Victorion match the box, which was different than how I handled Groove on Defensor.  Mine is "upside down" from how it's pictured on Victorion.  I looked at the instructions, which are tiny, and I couldn't figure it out.  I peered at the box.  I googled it.  I found two sites that had managed it, but complained of how it didn't want to stay on.  I tried a bunch of different things, none of which worked even halfway well. 

Surely, I thought, that for this fan-created-gift-set-first-all-female combiner that they would have gone with something that actually works.  Sadly, no.

I watched three reviews on YouTube.  The first two didn't even try: they went with the upside-down way I had my Defensor.  The third had it the "correct" way, and I watched as it (1) fell off and then (2) the reviewer had to fiddle with it extensively to put it back on.

Basically, this is a total design failure.  There are tabs, posts, and locks, but getting one will often push one of the the others out of alignment.  Then it falls off because it isn't a very secure connection since Rust Dust itself gets in the way unless you have it exactly right.  Even when you do, the posts don't fit snugly and the whole thing will pop off on its own, hastened whenever you change Victorion's pose.  So, for those of you keeping score: looks goofy as a motorcycle, looks weird as a robot, and is a pain in the ass as a chest decoration.

I remember Hot Spot and Defensor being solid.  Pyra Magna feels cheaper and does not seem to peg together as well.  The chest doesn't want to lock on the shoulders, the robot arms (now on the back) don't want to stay attached to the shoulders either, and moving one of Victorion's arms will typically dislodge one or both shoulders from the front or back.

Once you get the whole thing together, and then fiddle with it to put all the tabs back and put Rust Dust on again, it's actually nice.  There really is something to be said for a unified color scheme.  It is striking and the balance of the different colors is really quite good.

There are a couple of odd things.  The feet, which were sculpted for this set, don't really fit the helicopter molds .  It works, I guess, but it just looks bad since they don't look like they go in the given area.  And this is the configuration on the box.  Also, those damn helicopter blades just flop all over the place.

The sword.  I could write a whole review of this.  The sword is great, for the most part.  There are a couple of pieces that should be painted silver and aren't.  Looking past that, the sword is engineered amazingly well.    The whole thing has multiple tabs and locks and it is practically a little design puzzle.

And then I look at Pyra Magna and Rust Dust, and I go: what the hell, guys?  You way over-engineered this awesome but basically superfluous sword, and you don't even spend half the effort on the core of your combiner.  Where is this kind of engineering on Pyra Magna, so you can move Victorion's arms without dislodging and untabbing the torso?  Where is it on Rust Dust, that piece of garbage?  Where is it on the cars, whose back sections untab every time you reposition the arms or hands?  I mean, come on.

I am just utterly, utterly baffled by the sword.  Mostly great, except the unpainted parts look like shit.  A total design triumph...on the least important part of the combiner.  And to top it all off, Victorion doesn't really even hold the sword -- it goes in a hole in the body of the hand, not the fist.  It's...weird.  Victorion can hold the sword, but it's not solid or secure.  There's even a peg on the sword -- had there been a hole on the inside of the hand instead of on top of it, Victorion could have had a solid grip holding it in her hand.  I just don't get it.

It sums up Hasbro in a nutshell, I guess.  They can do absolutely amazing things, and then they make baffling decisions that totally undermine themselves and their products.

Final words:  Not worth $100, no way, and they should be ashamed for charging that when they're all reused molds, the QC is most definitely not there, and the box friggin' lies.  That said, it is an impressive and ambitious set of figures, and there are a lot of things that go really right with it.  I would like to see more unified combiner sets, since the end result is pretty striking.

I am glad I have it, though I'm sorely tempted to add some paint to Pyra Magna and poster tack, nail polish or Future (or all three) to Rust Dust.

I wanted to have Victorion match the box, which was different than how I handled Groove on Defensor. Mine is "upside down" from how it's pictured on Victorion. I looked at the instructions, which are tiny, and I couldn't figure it out. I peered at the box. I googled it. I found two sites that had managed it, but complained of how it didn't want to stay on. I tried a bunch of different things, none of which worked even halfway well.

Surely, I thought, that for this fan-created-gift-set-first-all-female combiner that they would have gone with something that actually works. Sadly, no.

I watched three reviews on YouTube. The first two didn't even try: they went with the upside-down way I had my Defensor. The third had it the "correct" way, and I watched as it (1) fell off and then (2) the reviewer had to fiddle with it extensively to put it back on.

Basically, this is a total design failure. There are tabs, posts, and locks, but getting one will often push one of the the others out of alignment. Then it falls off because it isn't a very secure connection since Rust Dust itself gets in the way unless you have it exactly right.
My Groove had similar issues when I tab his arms into Hot Spot. I ended up using some Pledge Floor Finish (Future Polish) and applied it to the posts. It tabs in securely every time. I've started to use it on all of my ball joints, tabs, pegs, etc. that show any sign of a loose fit. It's cheap and does no permanent damage to the Transformers.

bread's done
Back