Transformers: War For Cybertron - 10x XP Weekend Going on Now-Through 11/28!

GS has an exclusive MP character for pre-orders:

SHOCKWAVE!
Transformers_Cybertron_bonusLG.jpg

http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76726

[quote name='LinkinPrime']GS has an exclusive MP character for pre-orders:
[/QUOTE]

I am so fucking tired of this exclusive pre-order bullshit. Sell me the whole fucking game already. fuckers.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']Jazz is Best Buy Exclusive.
http://kotaku.com/5525710/jazz-comes-late-to-the-war-for-cybertron-preorder-exclusive-party

So 3 exclusive characters
Jazz- Best Buy
Shockwave - Gamestop
Demolishor - Amazon

I hate this shit. I'm also worried Walmart and Target will get preorder characters of their own.[/QUOTE]

Eh, Walmart and Target pretty much never get involved in the preorder bonuses. It's usually the more game-specific retailers, like what you have mentioned above.

But, I agree, it kinda sucks. I've got it preordered at Gamestop, in large part due to the $15 I saved with the 25OFF coupon code on orders of $100 or more. But I would like to point out that Gamestop's description of the Shockwave preorder bonus states:

SHOCKWAVE is 2nd in power only to MEGATRON, and is playable only in Escalation mode in Multiplayer mode.

Presumably the other characters are only playable in that Escalation mode as well. So not only are the characters not in the single-player mode, but they're only in one game mode of Multiplayer. Not something worth getting to hot and bothered over, imho.

it boils down to which multiplayer character do you want to have to just to have, where are you going to get the best deal, which will probably be amazon for the $10 gaming credit. I got much love for shockwave but transformers features a build your own transformer feature, so you might be able to make someone similar to any of the pre-order exclusives.

after the GS juggernaut exclusive/dlc, I don't think GS has any true exclusives anymore. Best Buy also had an early Hulk unlock code but that wasn't exclusive, it was just early...besides, you know ppl are going to be selling their game codes on ebay. I'll be getting mine where I can save the most money, they'll be more deals for sure as the release date comes closer.

Here's a little of Joystiq's hands-on preview:

Each level offers you three different Transformers to choose from, each equipped with two typical weapons (from pistols to rocket launchers), as well as two separate combat abilities. In the first level I played, from an early section in the Autobots campaign, I did what anyone who knows anything about Transformers would do: I chose Optimus (not yet a "Prime"); and the AI took control of the other two robots, Bumblebee and Ratchet. I should note here that War for Cybertron features drop-in/drop-out co-op with support for up to three players, who control all the playable Transformers in a given level.

:shock:

This is awesome!!!

Also new trailer identifying some multiplayer gametypes:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Joystiq/videos/3323/

[quote name='BingoBrown']
Presumably the other characters are only playable in that Escalation mode as well. So not only are the characters not in the single-player mode, but they're only in one game mode of Multiplayer. Not something worth getting to hot and bothered over, imho.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I see this as developers starting small and something that will only get worse as time goes on. I predict that eventually they'll sell much more important pieces of content to the highest retail bidder.:roll:

[quote name='ajh2298']Crap I had no intent even being interested in this game, but that trailer kind of roped me in. I hope TRU has a Gift Card deal or something for this.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm getting the feeling that this is gonna be a sleeper hit. Just hope it's not like the other Transformers games.

Has anyone pre-ordered at Best Buy? I was curious if they had the sealed pre-order boxes with the code already inside (similar to Mass Effect 2). I have the game pre-ordered at Gamestop w/ credit, but thought about picking up a Jazz code with a Reward Zone giftcard/coupon.

[quote name='Maizrim']Has anyone pre-ordered at Best Buy? I was curious if they had the sealed pre-order boxes with the code already inside (similar to Mass Effect 2). I have the game pre-ordered at Gamestop w/ credit, but thought about picking up a Jazz code with a Reward Zone giftcard/coupon.[/QUOTE]

I've been keeping an eye out and nothing. My guess is that the code will be packed-in with the game. I also got mine pre-ordered and paid from at Gamestop. I do want Shockwave and Jazz but not sure which one I want more.

I was always a big fan of Shockwave, probably because they gave him so little air time and that he looked more like a votoms mech...but imo for the multiplayer, Shockwave will be more noticable over Jazz. It really depends on who you like more and which class you'll prefer. Scientist or Scout.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I've been keeping an eye out and nothing. My guess is that the code will be packed-in with the game. I also got mine pre-ordered and paid from at Gamestop. I do want Shockwave and Jazz but not sure which one I want more.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing - even though they're only playable in one game mode, it would be nice to have both.

[quote name='100xp']I was always a big fan of Shockwave, probably because they gave him so little air time and that he looked more like a votoms mech...but imo for the multiplayer, Shockwave will be more noticable over Jazz. It really depends on who you like more and which class you'll prefer. Scientist or Scout.[/QUOTE]

I'll probably go for the Scientist class more in the end, but once I saw Jazz's transformation, I had to try to pick him up as well. (the whole breakdancing-like leg kick thing into car mode is awesome)

Demo out tomorrow! :whee:
[quote name='Kotaku']Revealed exclusively during our Kotaku Talk Radio podcast, Xbox 360 owners can slip into the boots of the big bots tomorrow in the online multiplayer demo for Transformers: War for Cybertron. According to our podcast guest, developer Matt Tieger, the 360 will be the only platform scoring a demo for the game.[/QUOTE]
http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/kotaku/f...ormers-war-for-cybertron-demo-coming-tomorrow

I wonder if it will be SP, MP, or both, either way I'm stoked!

[quote name='LinkinPrime']
I wonder if it will be SP, MP, or both, either way I'm stoked![/QUOTE]

The Kotaku quote says online multiplayer demo. So I'd assume it is multiplayer.

I don't really get the point of exclusive demos... isn't it just hurting your product elsewhere by not letting those people try it? You think you would want all the Transformers fans talking about your game and building hype, not resentment.

I'm not sold on the MP at all, so we'll see tomorrow.

[quote name='BingoBrown']The Kotaku quote says online multiplayer demo. So I'd assume it is multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

:dunce:

:oops:

----------

It's most likely timed exclusive...I'm sure the PS3 will get their demo a week or so later.

[quote name='animalspinners']I don't really get the point of exclusive demos... isn't it just hurting your product elsewhere by not letting those people try it? You think you would want all the Transformers fans talking about your game and building hype, not resentment.[/QUOTE]

Except that we know Activision/High Moon has been using the Xbox version in all their demos thus far. This could be another situation in which the PS3 version of the game has some coding issues, and they may want to cover that up.

So I'm watching the demo on a live stream and let me tell you...I predict a summer sleeper hit. The multiplayer looks amazing. The visuals look great and the gameplay itself seems very sturdy. This game was on my radar but not really a day 1 purchase. After watching for about 20 minutes, I'm leaning towards getting this day 1 and playing it tonight will make or break it.

I'm a child of the mid 80's and 90's so Transformers was geared towards my age group. This game looks like it will be the first true Transformers video game experience that is fun...the most important aspect to me.

Just hearing the broadcaster's voice is solidifying my thoughts on this game. He seems to be sorta ticked off when he dies but his voice goes up in excitement when the end of the game is near and his team is behind 10 points. At the end of the game, you can just sense that everyone had a ton a fun and they go back at it again. It reminds me of when I heard people playing COD4 for the first time in the beta. Nobody wanted to die, got ticked off when they did, but they didn't leave the game.

Soldier + Minigun. 24/3 and 14/4, I maxed out very quickly.

It's kinda overpowered... you can even shoot across the map with it.

I don't like the game, though. I could write on and on, but it wouldn't matter. It has alot of similarities to COD (heh, the cloning begins...) and everyone looks way too similar. I wish they gave us atleast a little visual customization in the demo.

SP/Coop will be interesting, though. I hope they release an SP demo.

[quote name='Rhett']
I don't like the game, though. I could write on and on, but it wouldn't matter. It has alot of similarities to COD (heh, the cloning begins...) and everyone looks way too similar. I wish they gave us atleast a little visual customization in the demo.
[/QUOTE]

This is how I feel... the game feels like a Call of Duty mod, imo. It has perks, challenges, killstreaks, exp to unlock new stuff... I can't quite shake the feeling it's ripping too much off CoD. None of the gametypes in the demo *feel* like Transformers, just basic stuff, and the rest of the list we can see feels that way as well. I also wish they gave us all 4 classes to choose from, and a bit more customization. The map is ok, but only 8 maps total makes me think they are holding some for DLC.

And that voice for the Decepticons, is that Megatron? Because if so, not a good choice. You go from Peter Cullen doing an amazing job as usual with Optimus Prime on the Autobot side, to this guy on the Decepticon side who doesn't match up at all.

I maxed out the two classes already, and imo transformations are also a bit useless. I've had 5 and 7 killstreaks and only used the vehicles once... they seem a lot slower than the robot forms and the weapons aren't nearly as good. Going back, it seems Left Trigger is to boost in vehicle form, but idk... still seems underpowered compared to the robot forms. Maybe the game will ship with bigger and more open maps?

Also, and this is a big negative to me, is that there is no host migration. I've already had two games end because the host ragequit and I lost all the exp.

I mean, the MP is decent I suppose, but imo feels nothing like Transformers except they are giant robots that (occasionally) transform. I'm hoping the SP really nails that Transformers feel. I know this post is overly negative, but I had high hopes for this one and while it's a good game in the MP, it just feels too generic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call of Duty: Modern Robots?

Demo was fun for like 10 minutes... then it got old fast. Sniping was a massive pain in the ass and it seemed like the soldiers were dominating on everything. Being a scout was fun for the stealth kills but once you're out of stealth the mini guns eat you up. I'll probably hold out until the reviews come in or it drops to 40 after a month lol.

Yeah, I really don't think the game will last in terms of popularity, unless 'Prime Mode' (don't tell me that's PRESTIGE MODE, AGAIN?) or several new maps come out. Also, the other classes really have to have something to stand up to the minigun (I imagine leveling helps even it out, but it probably remains just as bad since the Soldier will level up faster and get better perks), or a minor rebalancing needs to be put in place.

Guess we'll see, I don't even remember who developed it. Meh.

The lack of most migration is an issue. Hopefully they support the game with patches that fix things like that and tweak the balance of weapons and such.

yep they ripped COD(XP and killstreaks) and Bad company 2(conquest mode) for the their multiplayer and it looks and feels alot like Gears having played the demo a lot yesterday. That said, probably the best transformers game ever, which isn't really saying too much. Oh ya and whats up with everyone using whirlwind repeatedly in the demo? That will get annoying real quick on the full game.

Just wanted to let those of you that seemed interested in my idea of establishing some sort of organized play/competition with various message boards know that I've started to message around and hope to get some more specifics soon.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Just wanted to let those of you that seemed interested in my idea of establishing some sort of organized play/competition with various message boards know that I've started to message around and hope to get some more specifics soon.[/QUOTE]
I'm in, at least for a little while.

bread's done
Back