Tribes Ascend - Open Beta - Info + CAG Game Nights

Dry Dock is a bitch of a map for anyone but cappers (back-to-fronts are crazy), sentinels, and anyone bombarding the enemy base from the center mountain. I really wish I had the MIRV for that map.

New mouse is about what I expected. Went from a Logitech M500 (which I really liked, but I fucked up the USB on it something awful, so it was always cutting in and out) to a G500. Side buttons are a bit less comfortable, but easy to use. I wish the DPI buttons went down a bit farther, but it's no big deal. Don't give a fuck about being able to add weight to it, but I still made it as heavy as possible, because I'm a baller like that.

Dry Dock - The mountains is actually where I spent most of my time trying to interrupt the Sentinels (I want to say snipers so bad but I am trying to learn the details of the game - which is a big deal for me). I find this map a little harder to cap unlike the rest of the maps where you can take the long routes back home. The map has some long routes but they are full of debris and such that make it not a worth while venture.

It's really important for cappers to know their back-to-fronts on this map. Coming at the flag from the front is terrible with the awkward terrain in the middle. But if you come off that giant hill in the back with half-decent speed? You're golden.

Crossfire is another really good capper map. Very short distance between the bases, mostly useless turrets, very exposed flag... I always run a route along the right hand side of the map. Works pretty well for me.

Also, this mouse is so texture-y!

fractal nades can eat my shiny blue spinfusor... pretty fun tribes sequel; better than Vengeance was. I still play T2 from time to time, but this game might steal me away from my needed spinfusor habits.

At least they nerfed fractals so they no longer sandpaper generators to death.

I'm almost half-way to getting a top-tier weapon. I'm thinking either the crossbow for the doombringer or the MIRV for the juggernaut.

[quote name='JBaz']fractal nades can eat my shiny blue spinfusor... pretty fun tribes sequel; better than Vengeance was. I still play T2 from time to time, but this game might steal me away from my needed spinfusor habits.[/QUOTE]

You playing this? What's your name?

@Waughoo - I've been online every night. I saw you online playing LoL while I was playing Tribes Ascend. Tonight is good too.

Last edited:
Finally managed to play some earlier today with a friend. Are there not many servers I guess? Either that or it always put me in the same game due to the way matchmaking works. Which is fine since I was doing well, but still I thought there would be a few more.

I shall be playing Tribes shortly-like, with the expectation of playing it long-like. If you have me on Skype, send me a call. If not, I'll alt-tab to check PMs from time to time.

Or just get in the game and yell at me from there. That also works.

EDIT: Started lagging like a motherfucker. Will play again later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did a couple quick games. First time playing CTF and got 2 captures and like 4 flag grabs :)

I dont know the layout of the ctf maps though, so it's kinda rough.

Heading in now. I had to wait for the kids to go to bed. No one interested in Vent?

[quote name='Morphx2']i wanna get in the BETA[/QUOTE]

PM sent with key - 6 left.

Edit - 5 Left - Family joined up.

Last edited:
I reinstalled Tribes last night. Raptr would not recognize it. Apparently it's because I got the game awhile ago, and they've changed the exe so much that Raptr doesnt know what to use unless you do a reinstall.

[quote name='Morphx2']yay, u da man mega! even though waughoo says u suck, i dont believe him![/QUOTE]

It's OK to be hated on when you're as awesome as I am. Kanye told me so.

[quote name='Morphx2']yay, u da man mega! even though waughoo says u suck, i dont believe him![/QUOTE]

I actually havent played with him yet, cant tell if he sucks :)

I already know I suck at this though, but it's fun. Whats you name in game Flip?

Also Raptr should be correctly showing when I'm in Tribes now, it'll show up on XFire/Steam/Aim for anyone who has me on any of those.

Heh, such a fun game. Went 16-0 with the spinfusor; easily got 3 midair hits. Easily the best weapon ever made. I only wish such a weapon existed and BF3 had it... lol

The game gets significantly harder when you hit around level 5 or 6 and it stops matching you up with people at your level. At that point, having someone you can communicate with goes a long way.

Anyone gonna hop on tonight?

I jumped in a game for the first time.

Already got my mid-air kill shot :)

I only did Pathfinder. I will probably unlock a defender dude, i like defense

My in-game name is FlipprDolphin

[quote name='The Crotch']The game gets significantly harder when you hit around level 5 or 6 and it stops matching you up with people at your level. At that point, having someone you can communicate with goes a long way.

Anyone gonna hop on tonight?[/QUOTE]

Going to be on tonight from 10:00 PM EST to 11:00 PM EST. :)

[quote name='The Crotch']The game gets significantly harder when you hit around level 5 or 6 and it stops matching you up with people at your level. At that point, having someone you can communicate with goes a long way.

Anyone gonna hop on tonight?[/QUOTE]
I'm level 10 currently and people still die pretty easy at the end of my spinfusor, even against high level dudes with more advanced weapons. The only thing that pissed me off is the fractal & emp nades; they kill way too easily and from a very long distance.

I'm always paired with a crappy team that doesn't do teamwork. I'm usually Light Armour/Pathfinder class; basically speedy dueling, flag cap and flag recovery is my specialty. I have the technician unlocked and I like the class for base defence, but really wished the spinfusor was avaliable on all classes like it was in T2. Trying to save up XP for the the doombringer class.

I'm lvl 10 also about to be lvl 11. This game is GLORIOUSLY awesome.

All it is needs is a tweak to the chat system and it would be damn near perfect.

A juggernaut with a MIRV or a mortar clearing the flagstand is the absolute best way, but a capper should always have his thumper/spin/crossbow out to clear mines and heavies from the flag anyway. There's one spot on Bella Omega where it's fucking hard to hit the mines, though.

Also, the patch might be out today. It's unclear. Here are the patch notes.

Also, can you suicide by running into juggernauts while flying 178 km/hr? I ask this because I was playing CTF the other day and I jumped over his static barrier/energy field/whatever, touched the tip of his head and grabbed the flag at the same time. Then I proceeded to explode into tiny little bits with a mighty "Suicide!" message.

And yay for a new map.

Anyone with a maxed-out superheavy perk can do damage to you if you run into them at a high speed. Though open to anyone, this perk is usually only used by doombringers (chaingun, forcefield, rocket launcher, landmine guys), because the second perk slot has some really god damn good choices in it. Damage done is based on how fast you were going.

Speaking of the doombringer, I might be taking that guy as my main class now. Patch notes say chaingun aiming should be a bit easier.

EDIT: Servers down. Patch definitely out today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got a nice new laptop, and I've been looking forward to giving this game a go... Screen name is dreamgiver032, and I can be on anytime during the late morn/early afternoon, and anytime after midnight. (I work 2nd shift 4pm-12am.) Hit me up!

I'm pretty sure the static barrier/energy field will kill you if you run into it. I honestly haven't played on many servers of where players used it, but I have seen people run into them and die instantly. I usually do a tact strike on the flag to clear it out when taking the flag. If I got enough points, I'll do the orbital strike, but I usually won't hit that many points until 2 or 3 flag caps in.

Damn man, this new map is pretty big...
[quote name='JBaz']I'm pretty sure the static barrier/energy field will kill you if you run into it. I honestly haven't played on many servers of where players used it, but I have seen people run into them and die instantly. I usually do a tact strike on the flag to clear it out when taking the flag. If I got enough points, I'll do the orbital strike, but I usually won't hit that many points until 2 or 3 flag caps in.[/QUOTE]
A doombringer's forcefields stop bullets and do damage to you based on how fast you hit them, but they do not stop you. They can be destroyed if they take enough damage.

The big-ass forcefields on Bella Omega block anything, do damage if you hit them at high speed (same as any wall would), and go up/down with the generator.

And orbital strikes are lame.

heh, orbital strikes are funny cause sometimes you can take out an entire team... sometimes you just miss everyone and go "why the hell did I just spend 10k points on this? grr".

[quote name='The Crotch']I'm just not huge on the idea that anyone can out-juggernaut a juggernaut with just a few credits and a laser pointer.[/QUOTE]

He still dealing with the loss of his juggy to a orbital pie.

Hey, laser points can take out jets IRL...!

And its not a few credits, its 10k worth; its most a mid/end game solution and honestly it mostly sucks if you don't know how to use it correctly.

I don't like the changes they did to some CTF maps. I do like the new arena mode, but like rabbit and TDM; doesn't generate enough XP. I really wished they made the bases more expansive like in T2 style and having no way to combat the stealth gen's of the infiltrator on low level people is a huge disadvantage. I mean no way I'm going to be able to afford that much XP to get the sensor and its pretty shitty. That's the problem with making a FTP model and having XP for a game that's heavily team oriented. They def try to dumb down the team play from older tribes, but that's what made T2 so unique at the time.

I'd rather pay for a game that gave you the unlocks without too much work. Atleast with BF3, it isn't hard to level and get all the gear you need in a few hours. Plus, stock weapons are still effective and good.

Eh, it's the cheap-ass tac strikes that annoy me more than the orbitals, but I lump 'em together for convenience's sake. I'd rather have the ability to paint targets for the mortar/MIRV.

Now, enemies using tac strikes to kill my juggernaut? That's actually kinda funny. Throwing a few thousand credits at one guy that's almost out of ammo is a rather inefficient way to operate.

Yes, but it pisses the heavy off and be more mindful of being there... So you won't see that same dude in that same location for the rest of the match. haha

And honestly, 3500 points isn't that much to kill off a heavy. That's only a few kills. Good enough to clear him out for a quick stake at the flag.

What is really impressive is the people who can tact strike moving targets.

I believe you misread me.

I was laughing at people using tacs to kill my juggernaut. HO. Guy on a hill shooting mortars at the base. That's just a silly use of credits.

Tacs/orbitals on the HOF? That's the part that irritates me. That is something that Should Not Be.

why wouldn't one use tacts on heavies near the flag? If you are a simple light armour dude, it makes complete sense to take him out before flag cap so you can make a clean get away...

Because that's what your guns are for. And your offense.

My complaint is that it reduces a huge portion of the game - the offense - to a single long-range point-and-click. You want to get me off the flag? Either have your offense help you out or be good with the spin/bolt/nitron. A raider flies over me and pumps me full of stickies? Cool. Juggernaut on the hill? Fine. Bolt to my feet as you're coming in? If it works for ya, cowboy.

The devs have confirmed that private servers will be able to turn them off anyway, so it'll become a non-issue for me once that becomes an option.

whatever dude... stop standing in one place then... problem solved.

And really, its 3500 points, not exactly something you just expend the whole time. I use it on heavies and clearing out defense stuff on the flag.

bread's done
Back