TRU - Battlefield 3, Batman AC, Starcraft II, Sims 3, MW3, AC Revelations - $10 on PC

Ghostrain

CAGiversary!
[quote name='shrike4242']Stop with all of the trade/sell/buy requests in here, effective immediately.

Put all of those requests in here, please:[/QUOTE]
[quote name='shrike4242']
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329477
[/QUOTE]

Just went into my local TRU and spotted their PC section looking barren, and cheap too!

Found Batman Arkham City, The Sims 3 (Pets and Ambitions too), Battlefield 3, Call of Duty MW3, Starcraft II, Assassin's Creed Revelations, and RAGE all on PC for $9.98 each.

I know there's a TRU Clearance thread, but this seemed big enough to post about on its own.

I know this pic is blurry, but it's the best I could do:

m0rTC.jpg

Can get a pic of my Starcraft II receipt if you'd like too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mark_IV']I believe all of the Blizzard games (Diablo, Starcraft) are PC/Mac.[/QUOTE]

Im looking at the boxes for Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 right now and they are indeed mac compatible

I passed on Skyrim since it will be a really long time before I get around to playing it, and seems that all the previous games in the series have GOTY editions with extra content, so might as well wait for that version to eventually be released.

Yesterday I went to frys to try to get a pm for starcraft 2 but the employee already knew about the tru sale and told me they wouldn't match it because they were out of stock at the tru they called. So today I went to bb and I was able to pm starcraft 2 no problem which is awesome because my friends have been bugging me to get starcraft 2 for a long time now and so far its a lot of fun :)

Ugh I must stop reading this thread. I'm happy for all that have gotten PM'ed at BB. I'm just a little sad that I had rotten luck there...twice.

I wonder why all these people are complaining over other places not price matching when those other businesses clearly state they won't price match clearance or if out of stock items.

Because it's a stupid rule and we don't care about it being out of stock. It says in big, bold letters "PRICE MATCH GUARANTEE," not "Price match with a bunch of loopholes we can exploit to make sure you don't get a lower price guarantee."

I went today to a much closer Best Buy to PM Skyrim. Yesterday when I went, I forgot to look for Skyrim so I didn't get it and it's too far for me to go again. They shot me down. I told them that rule is ridiculous. I said, why price match unless the store we'd normally get it for is out of stock? That's the only reason for a price match. She said, no, you price match, because you want to buy it at Best Buy rather than another store. I gave her a "are you stupid" look.

I call :bs:

[quote name='Fukurou']Because it's a stupid rule and we don't care about it being out of stock. It says in big, bold letters "PRICE MATCH GUARANTEE," not "Price match with a bunch of loopholes we can exploit to make sure you don't get a lower price guarantee."

I went today to a much closer Best Buy to PM Skyrim. Yesterday when I went, I forgot to look for Skyrim so I didn't get it and it's too far for me to go again. They shot me down. I told them that rule is ridiculous. I said, why price match unless the store we'd normally get it for is out of stock? That's the only reason for a price match. She said, no, you price match, because you want to buy it at Best Buy rather than another store. I gave her a "are you stupid" look.

I call :bs:[/QUOTE]

I agree that people have a reason to be mad, but the whole reason why retailers have price matching is to get customers to come to them instead. What company would price match something that's almost 60-90% off retail price if that supply has diminished? It just doesn't make sense to do that.

Of course, we're more than happy to accept a price match, but from the company's perspective it's completely nonsensical.

Picked up Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3 Premium edition at BB last night. I got the same story about calling to ensure quantity was available, and of course, it wasn't (I had already checked), but I let her call anyway. After finding out there was no stock, she told me she was sorry but she couldn't offer me the price match. I politely asked to speak to a manager, as I explained to her that "I realize you are just doing your job, but I would like to speak to a manager if that's OK, it's too big of a discount not to ask". She agreed, and grabbed the nearest manager, who price matched without question, shook my hand and said "I'll take care of you guys (my friend went along with me), thanks for coming to BB, we appreciate you guys and I appreciate someone finding a good bargain." This was at the BB on Nicholasville Rd. in Lexington. It took about 20 minutes, but was an overall pleasant experience. I didn't even realize that the Premium Edition of BF3 wasn't included, but I suppose that's the way fortunes wheel works... time for the trip to the bottom LOL :)

Also, this BB has PLENTY of SCII, MW3, D3 and others available. I'm unsure of how the PM would go, unless that same manager was available, and unfortunately, I did not catch his name...

[quote name='Fukurou']Because it's a stupid rule and we don't care about it being out of stock. It says in big, bold letters "PRICE MATCH GUARANTEE," not "Price match with a bunch of loopholes we can exploit to make sure you don't get a lower price guarantee."

I call :bs:[/QUOTE]

She must have been looking at you with the same look...lol.

She is right. A price match policy is in place so that you can buy it at one store instead of another. It's not in place so that when the other store runs out you can still get the deal elsewhere.

People have legitimate reasons for choosing one store over another - in store credit, points program, distance, or mere convenience.

I hate the rule as much as the next man just because my luck is most employees I try to get a match with either actually call to confirm stock or give me a hard time. I would love to have a store where employees just confirm price and match, but I don't.

If you think it through, had many of us CAGs went the store price match route to begin with instead of driving around to tons of TRUs from the jump we might have been able to get the games we wanted if some of these games had still been in stock.

[quote name='xactionbobx']Picked up Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3 Premium edition at BB last night. I got the same story about calling to ensure quantity was available, and of course, it wasn't (I had already checked), but I let her call anyway. After finding out there was no stock, she told me she was sorry but she couldn't offer me the price match. I politely asked to speak to a manager, as I explained to her that "I realize you are just doing your job, but I would like to speak to a manager if that's OK, it's too big of a discount not to ask". She agreed, and grabbed the nearest manager, who price matched without question, shook my hand and said "I'll take care of you guys (my friend went along with me), thanks for coming to BB, we appreciate you guys and I appreciate someone finding a good bargain." This was at the BB on Nicholasville Rd. in Lexington. It took about 20 minutes, but was an overall pleasant experience. I didn't even realize that the Premium Edition of BF3 wasn't included, but I suppose that's the way fortunes wheel works... time for the trip to the bottom LOL :)

Also, this BB has PLENTY of SCII, MW3, D3 and others available. I'm unsure of how the PM would go, unless that same manager was available, and unfortunately, I did not catch his name...[/QUOTE]

lol, I also got my games from that BB. They price matched for me without a problem. I went back to try to get a premium edition of BF3 after I read other people were getting lucky, probably would have helped if I had known when I got the first couple of games.

[quote name='Flame Killa']lol, I also got my games from that BB. They price matched for me without a problem. I went back to try to get a premium edition of BF3 after I read other people were getting lucky, probably would have helped if I had known when I got the first couple of games.[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly certain I grabbed the last copy of BF3 Premium, but I am now having doubts about actually playing it. I have it up for trade for 2 MW3's though, if you are interested. Just trying to help some friends (and actually have some people I know to play multiplayer with lol).

Also, it's nice to know there are some CAG's locally!

So my Starcraft 2 shipped. Price not changed automatcially. Didn't think it would be other thasn wishful thinking. Should be here today actually and I'll go see how the fork the $30 back.

So this thread got me $180 worth of games for $30. I'm thinking this is deal of the year. Crunch time coming though.

[quote name='xactionbobx']I'm fairly certain I grabbed the last copy of BF3 Premium, but I am now having doubts about actually playing it. I have it up for trade for 2 MW3's though, if you are interested. Just trying to help some friends (and actually have some people I know to play multiplayer with lol).

Also, it's nice to know there are some CAG's locally![/QUOTE]

Yeah it was the last when I tried to get it so that must be the same copy. I'm good though, I didn't want it that bad and I don't have a way to get MW3 since BB is an hour away from me.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Nope. My total playtime for all Blizzard games is zero. It's not that I don't like them. It's that I know I will love them and become addicted.[/QUOTE]

Wise.

If you do pick up the Battlechest, let me know. I've not fired up D2 in a while, but it is certainly sitting there installed on my system. I'd be up for starting back up with a new character for a play-through.

[quote name='xactionbobx']I'm fairly certain I grabbed the last copy of BF3 Premium, but I am now having doubts about actually playing it. I have it up for trade for 2 MW3's though, if you are interested. Just trying to help some friends (and actually have some people I know to play multiplayer with lol).

Also, it's nice to know there are some CAG's locally![/QUOTE]

Make that 3!! That's the one next to the Toys R Us, correct? I always stop at it when I go to Lexington (I'm in E'town). Great store and hood reports from me as well!! Btw, the Chinese restaurant around the corner SUCKS!

[quote name='thundarr']Make that 3!! That's the one next to the Toys R Us, correct? I always stop at it when I go to Lexington (I'm in E'town). Great store and hood reports from me as well!! Btw, the Chinese restaurant around the corner SUCKS![/QUOTE]

Yup that's the one! The employees are generally great, but every now and then you get that one... :)

And thanks for the heads up on the chinese... I'll be sure to avoid that!

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']If you think it through, had many of us CAGs went the store price match route to begin with instead of driving around to tons of TRUs from the jump we might have been able to get the games we wanted if some of these games had still been in stock.[/QUOTE]

Many of us did including myself. Shame the 6-8 stores in a 50 mile radius carried only a few copies of SC2 & MW3 at best.

[quote name='Xerxes']So this thread got me $180 worth of games for $30. I'm thinking this is deal of the year. Crunch time coming though.[/QUOTE]
Agreed :cool:

Went to TRU. Gave me a $32 gift card. So Starcraft 1(BC) and 2, Diablo 3, and Skyrim. $40 for some prime gaming.

I asked the manager and he said he wasn't sure if the B2G1 was a sure thing this year. Said next week they'll be a Buy 1 Get 40% off Sale. I would make a thread but I don't have details. He made it sound like all game but who knows.

I was able to go today and pick up a 2nd copy of SC2 at Best Buy for my good friend. Still had about 8 copies of both SC2 and Diablo 3 in Daytona Beach at Best Buy.

Went to 2 different best buys, one says they cant price match items that is out of stock (he looked at it online on the TRU site) and another place said they cant price match it because it is bad for business...

Anybody in Houston that knows a BBY that actually price match's without a problem? I really want to get SC2 and D3 :(

[quote name='timmywanabreak']Went to 2 different best buys, one says they cant price match items that is out of stock (he looked at it online on the TRU site) and another place said they cant price match it because it is bad for business...

Anybody in Houston that knows a BBY that actually price match's without a problem? I really want to get SC2 and D3 :([/QUOTE]

I have tried basically all in north Houston...

I had success but my friend went to get a copy today and got turned down.

[quote name='timmywanabreak']Went to 2 different best buys, one says they cant price match items that is out of stock (he looked at it online on the TRU site) and another place said they cant price match it because it is bad for business...

Anybody in Houston that knows a BBY that actually price match's without a problem? I really want to get SC2 and D3 :([/QUOTE]

Atlest they told you that. My BB here told me they just dont PM TRU at all and any BB that does is breaking the rules. I just have shit luck when it comes to these kinds of sells. I want the game to play but cant get it and yet there are a handful of people on here that buy a shit ton of copies to turn around and make a profit on. The same thing happen to me with the SWTOR Collectors edition and Kmart.

I lucked up at the one in Meyerland but I shouldn't have. The manager was too busy and the desk folks tried to call but were too lazy. Galleria area one is a no go.

I bet the one over there near Gessner might be lucky. It's small, dingy. Probably low morale working in that store as well.

[quote name='Xerxes']I lucked up at the one in Meyerland but I shouldn't have. The manager was too busy and the desk folks tried to call but were too lazy. Galleria area one is a no go.

I bet the one over there near Gessner might be lucky. It's small, dingy. Probably low morale working in that store as well.[/QUOTE]

The gessner and 59 one was one of the ones I went to lol, they told me they could not do it because it would be bad for business. He was called over so I assume he was the manager and he did not look pleased when he saw such a price difference. I'll try the Meyerland one, hopefully TRU still has the price online by then.

if you see the short female Hispanic manager, get your hopes down.

And really, the bummiest best buy I've ever seen claimed a sale is bad for their business? Not making a sale is bad for business. o_O

Bought out the remaining supply of pc games near me SC2, ACR, BM: AC and BF3 at BB. Apparently all the TRU around me only have Skyrim Collectors and not the clearance one.

[quote name='timmywanabreak']...and another place said they cant price match it because it is bad for business...[/QUOTE]

I would have called them out on that. I know why they actually price match, so OOS is an ok reason, but saying the price match is too low and therefore it's bad for business essentially makes their price match guarantee, "We will price match any store if we feel like it isn't that good of a deal"...

[quote name='thebert']I would have called them out on that. I know why they actually price match, so OOS is an ok reason, but saying the price match is too low and therefore it's bad for business essentially makes their price match guarantee, "We will price match any store if we feel like it isn't that good of a deal"...[/QUOTE]
but... price matching clearence items that that store still carries all the time is bad for buisness...

Hopefully pm'ing all these copies and taking a big loss isnt what finally puts BB out.of business. Gotta figure they are losing money by the boatload on this

BB is going out of business because of lackluster customer service and a well-deserved negative reputation due to a history of uninformed associates pushing $100 monster cables on old ladies.

I checked my 2 local TRUs and could not find any of the games.
Since I was going to Best Buy to get some movies I figured I would try to get a price match.
I got the last copy of Diablo 3 off the shelf and a copy of Starcraft 2 (these are the only ones I wanted). Went to customer service. Mentioned I wanted to pm Tru, the girl there had said she had pmed some the other day. She checked to make sure they were still on sale on the site and then pmed them no problem.
I paid and walked away very happy.

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']but... price matching clearence items that that store still carries all the time is bad for buisness...[/QUOTE]

true. I mean essentially we are all just exploiting the fact that TRU didn't put the word "clearance" on their website for the items. If they did, no one would have gotten a price match, and rightfully so.

I mean w/e. Best Buy has their loopholes, and so do we. You win some, you lose some, I suppose.

Any CAGs in Toledo? I just went to the TRU on Monroe St. and they had about 2 copies each of AC:Revelations, Arkham City, Sims 3 Ambitions, Old Republic and 1 copy of the Starcraft Battle Chest. The TRU on Reynolds doesn't have crap, though.

I wouldn't get a PM on Batman:AC unless you want the physical disk. Amazon Digital has a Batman bundle [AA GOTY + AC] for $10 this week [both are STEAM keys]

Anyone have success at best buy at old orchard in skokie, il? I went and they said I have to buy pokemon to get it for 70% off which was not even true. I argued with them and how it said less than $20 games get the 70% off discount and since the game is now less than $20 it showed that deal up as well.

another just said they dont price match clearance games.

edit - tried another and they said they got an email from corporate saying they will not be price matching toys r us anymore because of the pc clearance sale.

Went to Best Buy today and the manager said they only price match in-store items and not online prices. Strange because I showed the online price for SSX from GameStop last week and they priced matched that to $20

Lame.

With Best Buy accepting tons of PS2 games from last weeks Gamestop sale, I doubt they are hurting with the added inventory they accumulated.

[quote name='legendarydogs']Anyone have success at best buy at old orchard in skokie, il? I went and they said I have to buy pokemon to get it for 70% off which was not even true. I argued with them and how it said less than $20 games get the 70% off discount and since the game is now less than $20 it showed that deal up as well.

edit - tried another and they said they got an email from corporate saying they will not be price matching toys r us anymore because of the pc clearance sale.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm the memo as the customer service rep helping me was in the process of price matching my copy of Starcraft II when another employee stepped in and pulled up the memo and shot down the price match.

[quote name='mark_IV']I can confirm the memo as the customer service rep helping me was in the process of price matching my copy of Starcraft II when another employee stepped in and pulled up the memo and shot down the price match.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if the ones that did PM are getting yelled at. o_O

[quote name='thebert']true. I mean essentially we are all just exploiting the fact that TRU didn't put the word "clearance" on their website for the items. If they did, no one would have gotten a price match, and rightfully so.

I mean w/e. Best Buy has their loopholes, and so do we. You win some, you lose some, I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Stop being rational you crazy bastard. Best Buy is the primary cause behind the decline of consumer rights and Western civilization.

[quote name='legendarydogs']Anyone have success at best buy at old orchard in skokie, il? I went and they said I have to buy pokemon to get it for 70% off which was not even true. I argued with them and how it said less than $20 games get the 70% off discount and since the game is now less than $20 it showed that deal up as well.

edit - tried another and they said they got an email from corporate saying they will not be price matching toys r us anymore because of the pc clearance sale.[/QUOTE]

I did PM there but it was only 1 or 2 days after the story broke here. These tremendously advantageous deals have a short half-life, but half the time it's a crap-shoot on which cashier, CS robot, or manager you encounter. Give it another shot if it makes sense to do so.

[quote name='inm8num2']BB is going out of business because of lackluster customer service and a well-deserved negative reputation due to a history of uninformed associates pushing $100 monster cables on old ladies.[/QUOTE]

lmaaao.

y'all PM'ing BF3 Premium are getting a steal, since its not even listed on sale on the site lol.

South Florida Walmart and Best Buy stores will NOT honor this deal as a price match:

Walmart managers at 16 locations have all said the same thing - "Item must be from a flyer or ad, and not printed from online. Item must also be IN STOCK at the local store and only original flyers will be accepted."

Best buy managers at 12 locations have all said the same thing as well - "We do not honor the Toys R Us deal because it is a clearance item."

Anyone else have luck anywhere else in the South Florida area???

I managed to get my local Walmart to price match Diablo III.

I was in there picking up some batteries today and I decided to take a chance and ask the customer service desk what their policy was regarding price matching deals that are only listed online. To my great surprise, they said that as long as I could show it to them on my smartphone, they'd do the price match. They told me to go get the items that I wanted.

I went back to the electronic section to see what they had in stock, and the only games that they had were Diablo III & Starcraft 2. I grabbed them both and took them to the CS desk. When I showed them the price online, the CS rep's eyes bugged out. She had to call the manager (or at least, the person in charge at the moment) over because she wasn't expecting it to be over 50% off. After several minutes thinking about it, the manager said that they weren't sure if they could do it. Then after a few more moments, she said that she'd let me have one of them at the price match price and to choose which one. I chose Diablo III.

I'm stunned that I actually got them to say yes to the price match. Even if it was for only one of the games. I kinda get the feeling that I got away with something because the woman in charge said that she was gonna have to ask the head honcho for some clarification on the price matching policy. I'm not sure if they were supposed to do what they did for me. Hopefully I didn't get anybody in trouble.

[quote name='The End']I managed to get my local Walmart to price match Diablo III.

I was in there picking up some batteries today and I decided to take a chance and ask the customer service desk what their policy was regarding price matching deals that are only listed online. To my great surprise, they said that as long as I could show it to them on my smartphone, they'd do the price match. They told me to go get the items that I wanted.

I went back to the electronic section to see what they had in stock, and the only games that they had were Diablo III & Starcraft 2. I grabbed them both and took them to the CS desk. When I showed them the price online, the CS rep's eyes bugged out. She had to call the manager (or at least, the person in charge at the moment) over because she wasn't expecting it to be over 50% off. After several minutes thinking about it, the manager said that they weren't sure if they could do it. Then after a few more moments, she said that she'd let me have one of them at the price match price and to choose which one. I chose Diablo III.

I'm stunned that I actually got them to say yes to the price match. Even if it was for only one of the games. I kinda get the feeling that I got away with something because the woman in charge said that she was gonna have to ask the head honcho for some clarification on the price matching policy. I'm not sure if they were supposed to do what they did for me. Hopefully I didn't get anybody in trouble.[/QUOTE]

you got really lucky, it could of turned out totally different.

bread's done
Back