TRU - Battlefield 3, Batman AC, Starcraft II, Sims 3, MW3, AC Revelations - $10 on PC

Ghostrain

CAGiversary!
[quote name='shrike4242']Stop with all of the trade/sell/buy requests in here, effective immediately.

Put all of those requests in here, please:[/QUOTE]
[quote name='shrike4242']
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329477
[/QUOTE]

Just went into my local TRU and spotted their PC section looking barren, and cheap too!

Found Batman Arkham City, The Sims 3 (Pets and Ambitions too), Battlefield 3, Call of Duty MW3, Starcraft II, Assassin's Creed Revelations, and RAGE all on PC for $9.98 each.

I know there's a TRU Clearance thread, but this seemed big enough to post about on its own.

I know this pic is blurry, but it's the best I could do:

m0rTC.jpg

Can get a pic of my Starcraft II receipt if you'd like too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked my local Best Buy if they could price match SC2 since they price matched CODMW3 the day before and I got the awful answer of "NO". The associate told me that they received an EMAIL stating not to price match ToysrUs anymore. I guess from the looks of things around here on CAG, the email was sent company wide.

I tried this on Diablo 3 at Best Buy today and they pulled up a forum saying they're not allowed to do the price match. And it did look to be company wide.

Was actually able to find AC:R and Skyrim at my local Toys' R Us a little bit ago. Still had a few AC:R's and Batman AC's left. I was sure I missed out on all of the games due to being on vacation all last week.

[quote name='legendarydogs']Anyone have success at best buy at old orchard in skokie, il? I went and they said I have to buy pokemon to get it for 70% off which was not even true. I argued with them and how it said less than $20 games get the 70% off discount and since the game is now less than $20 it showed that deal up as well.

another just said they dont price match clearance games.

edit - tried another and they said they got an email from corporate saying they will not be price matching toys r us anymore because of the pc clearance sale.[/QUOTE]

Wow I was wondering why this thread didn't die yet. Only to see cags trying to PM an item sold out for weeks now. Did the memo state no PMs to TRU for PC only or everything period?

Congrats cag you killed a PM option at the current best gaming retailer.

[quote name='Donut2922']Wow I was wondering why this thread didn't die yet. Only to see cags trying to PM an item sold out for weeks now. Did the memo state no PMs to TRU for PC only or everything period?

Congrats cag you killed a PM option at the current best gaming retailer.[/QUOTE]

Yep there are always going to be those one or two maroons that have to act like jackasses and ruin future deals just so they can get 12 copies of Diablo III.

[quote name='GBAstar']Yep there are always going to be those one or two maroons that have to act like jackasses and ruin future deals just so they can get 12 copies of Diablo III.[/QUOTE]

you sound surprised, lol. it is bound to happen eventually, with all these ppl lurking, and joining this forum, then openly sharing / bragging about their loots from deals like this.

[quote name='YBX87']you sound surprised, lol. it is bound to happen eventually, with all these ppl lurking, and joining this forum, then openly sharing / bragging about their loots from deals like this.[/QUOTE]

Well, that plus it was posted everywhere else as well.

The vast range of intellectual capacities here at CAG is one of the things that keeps it fresh. People complaining about CAGs "killing" a deal like this fall at one of the extreme ends. I seriously doubt that Best Buy is going to write a TRU exclusion into their corporate policy because of this episode.

[quote name='dfg']The vast range of intellectual capacities here at CAG is one of the things that keeps it fresh. People complaining about CAGs "killing" a deal like this fall at one of the extreme ends. I seriously doubt that Best Buy is going to write a TRU exclusion into their corporate policy because of this episode.[/QUOTE]

No but shit trickles down.

When the suits catch on that they sold a few thousand PC games at a $20-$30+ loss they are going to give shit to the Regional/District Managers who are then going to give shit to the Store Managers who will in return give shit to the Customer Service associates who will then be less lenient with PM's in the future.

I am 100% positive that BB does not Pricematch clearance prices or items that are OOS so I am sure there will be some backlash and accountability issues.

[quote name='GBAstar']No but shit trickles down.

When the suits catch on that they sold a few thousand PC games at a $20-$30+ loss they are going to give shit to the Regional/District Managers who are then going to give shit to the Store Managers who will in return give shit to the Customer Service associates who will then be less lenient with PM's in the future.

I am 100% positive that BB does not Pricematch clearance prices or items that are OOS so I am sure there will be some backlash and accountability issues.[/QUOTE]

You're right, they don't; I had a copy of their policy with me when I went but ended up not needing it. But I'd like to think this community is far less responsible for backlash against deal-hunting than those of the other remaining-nameless professional whoarding sites.

A score like this one is all part of the game. Silly to call out CAG if this is where one heard about it in the first place. Besides, vigilance only lasts so long in a retail hellhole like Best Buy. With their turnover rate, we can expect to be looting and pillaging again in a few months.

[quote name='dfg']You're right, they don't; I had a copy of their policy with me when I went but ended up not needing it. But I'd like to think this community is far less responsible for backlash against deal-hunting than those of the other remaining-nameless professional whoarding sites.

A score like this one is all part of the game. Silly to call out CAG if this is where one heard about it in the first place. Besides, vigilance only lasts so long in a retail hellhole like Best Buy. With their turnover rate, we can expect to be looting and pillaging again in a few months.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy has been good to CAG the last year. I would be interested to hear what B&M store has had better and more competitive prices. Gamestop? Walmart? Target? okay.......

[quote name='dfg']The vast range of intellectual capacities here at CAG is one of the things that keeps it fresh. People complaining about CAGs "killing" a deal like this fall at one of the extreme ends. I seriously doubt that Best Buy is going to write a TRU exclusion into their corporate policy because of this episode.[/QUOTE]

I dislike SD just as much as you but cag is not without responsibility. This site isn't full of angels. The OP in this thread gets the credit for finding the deal. So yes I still stand by my statement for us killing a deal. It sure as hell wouldn't be a first. i'm sure the timing of a corporate memo was to catch all of the $45 NCAA 13 day 1 PMs and not the D3 clearance pricing... Gimme a break.

[quote name='Donut2922']I dislike SD just as much as you but cag is not without responsibility. This site isn't full of angels. The OP in this thread gets the credit for finding the deal. So yes I still stand by my statement for us killing a deal. It sure as hell wouldn't be a first. i'm sure the timing of a corporate memo was to catch all of the $45 NCAA 13 day 1 PMs and not the D3 clearance pricing... Gimme a break.[/QUOTE]

Oh the travesty...

Not as long as there's still a chance you can get it. I almost got a ton of games today. The only thing that stopped me was the manager who had to authorize it. She has it out for me and tried to give me a bunch of excuses as to why she couldn't PM it. She called TRU and they didn't have any in stock so she refused.

I'm happy I only got 1 game, and that was Skyrim [got 20 hours into it thus far, wow it's fun!].
I also bought my game with cash, so there's no way of them charging the extra $50 at some later date.

No but they could make it a policy to call the store to make sure the item is in stock before PM, which would kill the deal for most people.

[quote name='62t']No but they could make it a policy to call the store to make sure the item is in stock before PM, which would kill the deal for most people.[/QUOTE]

Maybe that could just educate the sales associates of their own price matching policy:

"Best Buy will match the price if you find a lower price on an identical available product at a local retail competitor's store, a local Best Buy retail store or BestBuy.com. Simply let us know when you are making your purchase or during the return and exchange period.

The Guarantee does not apply to: Our competitors' website prices, offers that include financing, bundling of items, free items, pricing errors, mail-in offers, competitors' service prices, items that are advertised as limited-quantity, out of stock, open-box, clearance, refurbished/used items, Deal of the Day items, BestBuy.com Midnight Sale and special hour sale events, BestBuy.com Clearance & More and Marketplace items, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving."

They should have never price matched this to begin with. Just wish some of the people who are still trying to abuse this situation and getting upset with the store associates, would understand this never should have been allowed and move on. Coming on here and posting about how some "stupid" associate was the reason they couldn't get this "deal" definitely doesn't represent CAG in a good light.

[quote name='vantheman']Why is this thread still active? Shouldn't it be moved to the discussion forums......[/QUOTE]

It's still active in my Toys R Us store although this thread has moved away from that focus. Have most of the other TRU stores been wiped out?

[quote name='Donut2922']I dislike SD just as much as you but cag is not without responsibility. This site isn't full of angels. Gimme a break.[/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself. I consider everyone here an angel. Wings, white prissy gowns, halos, checking ID's at the pearly gates, people reduced to salt for french fries, trumpets opening horribly cataclysmic events (First Sign: the day Facebook went public), and fluttering on the breeze. Yeah, the whole nine yards.

We are all angels, people. Get over it. The second you clicked you wanted to be part of these forums, you were instantly transformed by divine power into an angel and you'd damn well better be glad for it.

Also, chicks dig fallen angels. Sure, they say they want the angel to take home to their parents, but they'll be pining for that fallen. Remember that the next time you're complaining because you had to man the flood valves after the Big G had to rid the Earth of human filth because they were busy sinning their brains out again. Every job has its downsides, but hey the perks make up for it.

Angels have a lot of groupies, after all.

This same shit killed Circuit City!

Really now, a company is responsible for protecting itself. Selling old PC games at $10 a pop isn't going to hurt any corporation, and if it does, they might as well tell their violin quartet to start the show.

To me, it seems more productive to start worrying about a situation if it's actually going to cause some damage, not wring your hands over nothing. If anything, they should stop selling these boxed PC games altogether as most of the PC game market is headed to digital distribution anyway. They marked them down to $10 a copy to begin with just to get rid of them.

Stores that priced matched should be happy people with deal autism exploited this. Get that shit off the shelves and free up some space for vintage records or satellite radio. Now that's where the profits are.

[quote name='Spokker']This same shit killed Circuit City!
[/QUOTE]

No. What killed Circuit City was them firing their commission-earning workers, who actually knew and cared about what they sold, and bringing in know-nothing, minimum wage kids that didn't give two shits about their jobs, let alone the company.

I remember the week it happened, as one of my good friends was one of the people who got let go. In that week, the difference was night and day. Sure, you didn't have commission hounds after you anymore, but when you needed help with something, you were SOL.

[quote name='UW_Shocks']I'm happy I only got 1 game, and that was Skyrim [got 20 hours into it thus far, wow it's fun!].
I also bought my game with cash, so there's no way of them charging the extra $50 at some later date.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? :roll:

[quote name='gpthree']Seriously? :roll:[/QUOTE]

Of course, imagine all the other gamers who price matched after I did. Instead of getting greedy and buying games I knew I wouldn't play, I allowed others to get in on the deals.

No, he means how could you think they would charge you the exrta $50? Even if you used a credit card, they can't because it's illegal.

[quote name='UW_Shocks']Even if it was illegal, my bank isn't very friendly to disputing charges. Better safe than sorry.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever shopped at a retail store?

Just sayin...

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Speak for yourself. I consider everyone here an angel. Wings, white prissy gowns, halos, checking ID's at the pearly gates, people reduced to salt for french fries, trumpets opening horribly cataclysmic events (First Sign: the day Facebook went public), and fluttering on the breeze. Yeah, the whole nine yards.

We are all angels, people. Get over it. The second you clicked you wanted to be part of these forums, you were instantly transformed by divine power into an angel and you'd damn well better be glad for it.

Also, chicks dig fallen angels. Sure, they say they want the angel to take home to their parents, but they'll be pining for that fallen. Remember that the next time you're complaining because you had to man the flood valves after the Big G had to rid the Earth of human filth because they were busy sinning their brains out again. Every job has its downsides, but hey the perks make up for it.

Angels have a lot of groupies, after all.[/QUOTE]
:applause:

[quote name='sp00ge']No. What killed Circuit City was them firing their commission-earning workers, who actually knew and cared about what they sold, and bringing in know-nothing, minimum wage kids that didn't give two shits about their jobs, let alone the company.

I remember the week it happened, as one of my good friends was one of the people who got let go. In that week, the difference was night and day. Sure, you didn't have commission hounds after you anymore, but when you needed help with something, you were SOL.[/QUOTE]

Serious question: how is best buy still in business then?

I know the company in and out. Most of the frontline employees are kids who hide from customers instead of offering help, or CSRs who's rather not fix an issue than find the right answer.

[quote name='Romeo']Serious question: how is best buy still in business then?

I know the company in and out. Most of the frontline employees are kids who hide from customers instead of offering help, or CSRs who's rather not fix an issue than find the right answer.[/QUOTE]

IIRC, Best Buy isn't doing so hot nowadays either...

[quote name='LoLRoflCopter']Looking for a CD key for Skyrim or Diablo 3 for $10.... On a partially seperate note or question: Does the Skyrim key activate on Steam.[/QUOTE]
yes it does.

[quote name='LoLRoflCopter']Looking for a CD key for Skyrim or Diablo 3 for $10.... On a partially seperate note or question: Does the Skyrim key activate on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Um, unless someone found the games in NH or something, they'll lose money selling it to you for $10.

[quote name='elessar123']Um, unless someone found the games in NH or something, they'll lose money selling it to you for $10.[/QUOTE]
Then why don't we just bump it up to 13 moolahs! *sarcasm* :D

Anyone try to price match at toysrus that actually got the games there? they have the buy one get one 40% off on 19.99 or less. wonder if its worth a shot to get a few bucks back..

Price matched Diablo 3 at Walmart for $9.98 + tax no questions asked. Had to get supervisor approval, but went smooth with little resistance. I did show them a print-out of the Toys R Us listing online and also had a copy of the price match policy in my pocket if I needed it, but didn't.

bread's done
Back