Unoffical Upgrade your PS3 HDD thread

[quote name='Halo05']Yes. As of like 5 days ago, I now have a former 20gb PS3 with a 320gb hard drive. It still does everything it used to.[/QUOTE]

X2, I did exactly that. I sometimes wish it had wifi but in the 2 years I've had it, it hasn't mattered yet.

Hey CAGers, I've run into problems with my HD upgrade. Wanted to see if anyone had some ideas on how to resolve the problem.

I did a sucessful backup of my 80GB drive to my external drive
I installed the new drive (250GB)
Formatted the new drive
Ran Backup/Restore utility
Restore gets to 100% and then says "The restore operation could not be completed (800283F0)"

When I go back into the system, much but not all of my stuff has been copied over. None of my DLC appears for instance. But my MP3s do. I looks like my game save are there, but I haven't done a full inventory yet.

I know I can DL all the DLC again, but in addition to the huge pain in the ass that would be, I'd have to go back to a few folks who I did some 1:1 trading/sharing with.

Any ideas on what I can do to give this another shot? In the meatime, I'll try restoring again.

Thanks

Dr. SP

I just did some looking around and heard a few suggestions:
Make sure the controller doesn't go to sleep during the process.
Try going through a "Restore PS3 System" (basically resetting the PS3) before restoring from "Backup/Restore".
Try reducing the size of the backup by deleting game data (not the save data).
Try deleting demos (if you have any) before backing up.

Again, I haven't tried any of this (never had an issue restoring, though I only did it once... with nothing really on my drive :lol:), I just found these suggestions online and they seemed to have worked for the people posting them.

[quote name='mguiddy']I just did some looking around and heard a few suggestions:
Try going through a "Restore PS3 System" (basically resetting the PS3) before restoring from "Backup/Restore".

Again, I haven't tried any of this (never had an issue restoring, though I only did it once... with nothing really on my drive :lol:), I just found these suggestions online and they seemed to have worked for the people posting them.[/QUOTE]

Great. I was thinking about some of those too. THanks for the suggestions.

[quote name='mguiddy']I just did some looking around and heard a few suggestions:
[/QUOTE]

If I do a Restore PS3 System, does that erase any of my accounts (login info, login name, etc.)?

Again, I haven't tried any of this (never had an issue restoring, though I only did it once... with nothing really on my drive :lol:), I just found these suggestions online and they seemed to have worked for the people posting them.[/QUOTE]

Ok, this seemed to work, mostly. What I was going for, a successful restore, seemed to have happened. All my accounts, game saves, etc. are there. So one of the items you suggested ( I did them all) seemed to do the trick. Thanks!

However, many, but not all, of my shared games return a "The copyright protection information is invalid" message on launching. I have about 35 games from about 4 share accounts. A few had a message that I needed to reactivate the system which I did. But other just return that invalid message.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern either. Some games in one account launch normally while the others don't.

1) ANy ideas on how to fix this?
2) Will redownloading the games fix it? (I don't have time to test this right now)

Thanks

[quote name='Dr. Strangepork']If I do a Restore PS3 System, does that erase any of my accounts (login info, login name, etc.)?[/QUOTE]
I think... but restoring from "Backup/Restore" would restore everything... I think. :lol:
[quote name='Dr. Strangepork']Ok, this seemed to work, mostly. What I was going for, a successful restore, seemed to have happened. All my accounts, game saves, etc. are there. So one of the items you suggested ( I did them all) seemed to do the trick. Thanks!

However, many, but not all, of my shared games return a "The copyright protection information is invalid" message on launching. I have about 35 games from about 4 share accounts. A few had a message that I needed to reactivate the system which I did. But other just return that invalid message.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern either. Some games in one account launch normally while the others don't.

1) ANy ideas on how to fix this?
2) Will redownloading the games fix it? (I don't have time to test this right now)

Thanks[/QUOTE]
The only things I read about that is to redownload and install the unlock key/game or make sure the gameshare account is still on the system.

[quote name='mguiddy']I think... but restoring from "Backup/Restore" would restore everything... I think. :lol:

The only things I read about that is to redownload and install the unlock key/game or make sure the gameshare account is still on the system.[/QUOTE]

Back in business, I had to go into each of my share accounts and de- and re-activate the system. Didn't have to re-DL anything. Strange, but it worked.

Thanks for the help.

Anyone know where I can buy those gate/holder things for the harddrive? My screws got F'd up

edit - nvm, there are some on Ebay, unless one of you CAG have a lot for cheaper ;)

Can you upgrade a HDD in a brand new PS3 before even turning it on?

I get my bonus on friday and was thinking about buying a PS3. There are no 250gb left in my area, and I figured with the $50 price difference, I could spend the money on an even bigger HDD.

[quote name='daschrier']Can you upgrade a HDD in a brand new PS3 before even turning it on?

I get my bonus on friday and was thinking about buying a PS3. There are no 250gb left in my area, and I figured with the $50 price difference, I could spend the money on an even bigger HDD.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you should be able to do that just fine.

[quote name='Diebythesword']Anyone know where I can buy those gate/holder things for the harddrive? My screws got F'd up

edit - nvm, there are some on Ebay, unless one of you CAG have a lot for cheaper ;)[/QUOTE]

I called Sony and they sent me one for free....pretty fast also. This was over a year ago though.

[quote name='doubledown']I called Sony and they sent me one for free....pretty fast also. This was over a year ago though.[/QUOTE]

hmmm, I might try this

Can anyone recommend a decent screwdriver? I have one that fits (the kind that comes in a box with four other small "precision" screwdrivers), but the handle is so small that it's impossible to actually turn the thing.

i had to go to ace hardware and have them flatten a screwdriver down so it would work on the 4 screws attached to the HDD

I had to use needle nose pliers to remove the blue screw since I stripped it.

Meh, I'm gonna need to upgrade my hard drive sooner than I thought. This damn 40GB isn't enough for a gamesharer like me. I thought I might be able to wait until this summer, but I might have to upgrade in the next few months, since I only have 16GB left. :/

I bought this kit from Amazon, and it got the job done.
51ACf39FNUL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I bought my WD 320gig drive off amazon for like 58 bucks shipped and installed it last night. Easiest process ever, backing up took about an hour which sucked but was ok with some olympics and beer to pass the time. Swapping the drives was a no brainer and restoring took another hour.

I was happy to see all my settings were saved on the ps3 not the HD so everything was right when I first powered up. I haven't played anything or checked all my game date, someone told me certain games have copy righted stuff and it doesn't backup which sucks.

Over all an easy cheap experience going from 40gig to 320gig in a few minutes plus backup/restore wait time.

I finally attempted the upgrade tonight (my previous post was simply referring to being able to remove the blue screw), and stripped one of the four metal frame screws. Once I realized that you have to push down really hard until you hear a "pop," the other three came out easily, but that first one is still stuck there.

It's too bad Sony no longer gives out replacement frames. I'll have to take it to a hardware store and see if they can get the other screw out. :(

Why wouldn't Sony give replacement frames? Enough bitching and complaining will even probably make them give you a free game, lol.

I also upgraded my HDD yesterday with a 500gb Hitachi 5400rpm. The backup took an hour for a 31GB backup, removing the original HDD took couple mins.
Removing the 4 screws from the HDD caddy took about 10 mins, this was actually the hardest part since I had no grip on my precision screwdrivers and the screws seems to be put on by a super hero. What I did was hold the screwdriver tightly on the screw and turned it with a set of pliers. After I heard the snap, I knew that it would've been impossible for me to have done it by hand.

I had to download the update from the PS website, and put it on a flash drive before it would reformat the new HDD. All in all, nice and easy experience. Takes about 2 and 1/2 hours for everything. After the restore I have 381GB, enough for the rest of my PS3's life.

One important thing that I forgot to mention is that the free download of FLOW is still on my PS3. This is for those scared of losing the game since it's not in your download history. Just backup and restore and it should still be there. I had a few corrupted dynamic themes but that's about it.

They used to send out replacements, but they stopped in late 2008, from what I've read. I went to a hardware store and got some pliers. I was hoping they'd just let me use them there, but I had to buy them (about $5), and I got 4 replacement screws while I was at it. Came home and got the new drive installed, now I'm restoring it using the backup.

You should've seen the look the guy gave me when I showed him the frame/hard drive. It was like it was his and he was mad at me for messing up the screw.

Edit: The restore took like 2.5 hours, and that's 'cause I still had 14 GB free on my 60 GB. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I upgraded mine from a 40 to 80GB the day I got it. After about a month, I had to get a 120 to fit everything I had accumulated. Definitely worth the upgrade, since I can put all my music and a few movies on the PS3 now.
I bought an enclosure for $5 to turn the 80GB into a backup drive for my computer. :D

[quote name='ROB64']Definitely worth the upgrade, since I can put all my music and a few movies on the PS3 now.
[/QUOTE]
Why not just stream them?

PS3MS streams 1080p videos of pretty much any format if it's through a wired connection, the thing is java-based and AMAZING. I have a 500gb HDD for my PS3 but I find it a massive waste to store movies, music, etc... on the actual HDD. Stream ftw!

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']PS3MS streams 1080p videos of pretty much any format if it's through a wired connection, the thing is java-based and AMAZING. I have a 500gb HDD for my PS3 but I find it a massive waste to store movies, music, etc... on the actual HDD. Stream ftw![/QUOTE]

I used my OG Xbox for the longest time just for XBMC for this purpose. Switched over to PS3MS now for streaming to both the PS3 AND the 360 and love it. Planning on building a cheap set-top XBMC soon tho just for the better interface. $200 for an Acer Aspire Revo that's silent, and still has the excellent interface with XBMC (or Boxee) will be nice I think. :)

Why does everyone have such problems with the screws... You don't need a small jewelers screwdriver, the screws aren't that tiny really. The set show in this thread would work fine, I have a similar set with a big handle that accepts bits.

If you must use the small screw drivers, use a pair of vice grips to turn them.

[quote name='lmz00']Why not just stream them?[/QUOTE]
Because I never keep my computer on, and there's not enough room on it even if I did (for the movies at least).

I have the original 60GB unit and I recently got a new HDD for it. I thought I could throw the new unit in an external enclosure, clone it and be done!

But after doing research, that's not how it's done. So I have 2 questions...

1.) Do I need to get an external HDD to back up my PS3? I'd rather not, but is there any other way around it?

2.) and does the 'PS3 Back Up' back up my Linux partition? Or does it completely ignore that and wipe it out?

I've been searching around since yesterday and can't really get clear cut answers on those two questions...

Thanks in advance!

[quote name='Nobi-Wan']I'd like to know this as well. My 60GB PS3 is getting filled up and I'm constantly deleting stuff.[/QUOTE]

I've read reports people getting around the external HDD...

As for the Linux question, it seems like it doesn't back up... Maybe somebody else could chime in...

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']THIS no longer helps you all but amazon happened to have a 2.5 sata hard drive as the Goldbox deal for on 32.XX and that was a 120GB :([/QUOTE]

Damn, that is a sweet price... I'll have to keep an eye out if I need to get an external hdd...

[quote name='iHack']I've read reports people getting around the external HDD...
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I recently upgraded to 500gb and did so without the use of an external hdd. I tried getting the ps3 to back-up onto my current 1tb hdd (with a partition created in the ps3 friendly FAT format) but it wouldn't recognize the hdd.

In the end I saved all of my game saves onto a thumb drive and then deleted almost everything of the ps3. I then used a 16 gb sd card and backed up onto that. It worked fine.

Of course I then had to go back and re-download all of my psn games (just queued them up and let it go overnight) and re-install certain games but it was better than dropping another $80-100 on an external hdd that I'd have no use for once I was finished with the back up.

I Backed my PS3 up using my iPod classic, iPods are formatted in fat32 Saved me wiping all the stuff off my Other Hard drive which was a different format.

what is it you guys are backing up? just the saved game files right? then after formatting the new hdd, you have to reinstall games and updates right? im debating on whether to put it a new hard drive or just have an external one, but im finding alot of differing opinions and information

1.) Do I need to get an external HDD to back up my PS3? I'd rather not, but is there any other way around it? For game saves use a USB Stick, or SD Card. To backup PSN Games you will need an external hard drive that connects via USB, some work, some don't. Just ensure it is formatted as FAT32. I tried this with but the PS3 did not recognize it. So, I just saved game saves installed new 500GB harddrive and redownloaded off PSN.

2.) and does the 'PS3 Back Up' back up my Linux partition? Or does it completely ignore that and wipe it out? The Linux partition is always on the PS3 in a protected area (FIRMWARE) so you never lose it. It puts the Linux file system on your new hard drive when you format it.

[quote name='sbains']1.) Do I need to get an external HDD to back up my PS3? I'd rather not, but is there any other way around it? For game saves use a USB Stick, or SD Card. To backup PSN Games you will need an external hard drive that connects via USB, some work, some don't. Just ensure it is formatted as FAT32. I tried this with but the PS3 did not recognize it. So, I just saved game saves installed new 500GB harddrive and redownloaded off PSN.

2.) and does the 'PS3 Back Up' back up my Linux partition? Or does it completely ignore that and wipe it out? The Linux partition is always on the PS3 in a protected area (FIRMWARE) so you never lose it. It puts the Linux file system on your new hard drive when you format it.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks...

As for the Linux part, I understand kind of what you're saying... What I'm trying to say is I'll have to lose my Ubuntu and files on there, correct? Whether or not I back it up I can't save my files unless I do it manually... ?

Ok so my 60gb is dead - I think the fan broke from the google searches and the lack of WOOOOOOOOOO from the PS3. So my question is this, can I pop out my hard drive and put it in my firends fat PS3 and then do a backup? Or is there another way to back up the hard drive like by taking it out and just doing a straight backup of it at someplace that can do it?

[quote name='fuss']Ok so my 60gb is dead - I think the fan broke from the google searches and the lack of WOOOOOOOOOO from the PS3. So my question is this, can I pop out my hard drive and put it in my firends fat PS3 and then do a backup? Or is there another way to back up the hard drive like by taking it out and just doing a straight backup of it at someplace that can do it?[/QUOTE]
No.
Put it in another PS3 it'll want to reformat. Hook it to a computer and it won't be able to see anything on it.

Is it a YLOD?

If you're thinking of getting it fixed, send freaky a PM, he got his fixed by someone that did a pretty good job that charged half what Sony charges and all his stuff was still there when he got it back.

[quote name='mguiddy']No.
Put it in another PS3 it'll want to reformat. Hook it to a computer and it won't be able to see anything on it.

Is it a YLOD?

If you're thinking of getting it fixed, send freaky a PM, he got his fixed by someone that did a pretty good job that charged half what Sony charges and all his stuff was still there when he got it back.[/QUOTE]

fuck fuck fuck I was praying I could just pop the HD in another PS3 and backup.

There is no yellow light, so thats the good thing. From what I can tell its just the fan went out - the PS3 stays on for like a minute then slows down then turns itself off and the red light blinks while it gives me a couple beeps.

I called my local computer repair shop and they said they can look at ti and see whats up. Its worth it to me to fix it now so I can do a backup.

but fuck I am pissed about not being able to pop out the HD and doing a backup on another PS3.

Couple of quick questions.

Can I backup my hard drive onto my Ipod Nano by doing it several times. Each time saving it onto my pc?

Can I then upgrade my hard drive and then transfer the files back onto the new one from my pc?

IS DLC/ Game Installs included?

Can I just do saves/dlc?

You can't backup your HDD in chunks.

You can't transfer files from your PC to a PS3 through an ethernet network... or whatever you're trying to do. You need an external HDD, one that is big enough to backup everything.

DLC/installs are included. You need to have the account you bought the DLC with on your system or you cannot access the DLC.

If you need the space just delete the installs beforehand as they are huge.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']You can't backup your HDD in chunks.

You can't transfer files from your PC to a PS3 through an ethernet network... or whatever you're trying to do. You need an external HDD, one that is big enough to backup everything.

DLC/installs are included. You need to have the account you bought the DLC with on your system or you cannot access the DLC.

If you need the space just delete the installs beforehand as they are huge.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but cant you transfer with an Ipod and use that as an external hdd? If I delete an installed game that has dlc. Can I download the dlc on the same account?

You can, granted it has enough free space. Anything that can act as a USB external storage device. You cant mount an internal HDD in an enclosure, it doesn't really matter.

Even use a PSP... if you can fit everything :)

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']You can, granted it has enough free space. Anything that can act as a USB external storage device. You cant mount an internal HDD in an enclosure, it doesn't really matter.

Even use a PSP... if you can fit everything :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks, could I re download DLC on the same account after I switch hard drives?

bread's done
Back