We had to import RPG Thread XII from Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to wait for Xenoblade after seeing that Edge review, it made me want that game. So I bought a copy for $58 shipped. Not too bad considering everything.

I got Breath of Fire 4 on PSN, I remember playing it a long time ago as a kid when I rented it, and I've been wanting to play it again for a while now (but didn't want to buy it if it came out on PSN... and it finally did), but I have a fairly large backlog of games to play right now, basically I'm not going to be getting to it until after DA:O Awakening and Persona 4... so it's gonna be a long time (and that's if I actually decide to do it as my next game after those two).

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Anybody interested in Fate/Extra? It showed up in my Quick Picks this morning.[/QUOTE]

Showed up in mine last week. I pre-ordered it. no clue WTF it is though.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Showed up in mine last week. I pre-ordered it. no clue WTF it is though.[/QUOTE]
Based on an anime series, I guess? I think there are other games but this is the first one to make it out of Japan. I've seen a couple of articles on Siliconera about the Japanese release and it seems like a vaguely Persona-esque dungeon crawler with some visual novel elements.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Based on an anime series, I guess? I think there are other games but this is the first one to make it out of Japan. I've seen a couple of articles on Siliconera about the Japanese release and it seems like a vaguely Persona-esque dungeon crawler with some visual novel elements.[/QUOTE]

Nothing said there to turn me off it.

No dub, apparently. Doesn't Sony have some kind of policy about Japanese audio only, or do they not care anymore now that the PSP is yesterday's news?

I wonder if the $40 pricetag indicates some bonus swag, given the budget localization.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Based on an anime series, I guess?[/QUOTE]
It's actually based on a hentai visual novel which was later turned into a mainstream anime (oh Japan :p). The Fate series has a lot of fans, but I don't know much about either it or this new game.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Wow new Rune Factory for PS3 coming out in September.[/QUOTE]
Got that in my Quick Picks this morning. I've never played a Rune Factory, are they any fun? The DS ones seem to be fairly cheap.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Got that in my Quick Picks this morning. I've never played a Rune Factory, are they any fun? The DS ones seem to be fairly cheap.[/QUOTE]

Same here, why I realized it was coming out so soon.

I've enjoyed all the ones I played. I have RF: Frontier (Wii) and Rune Factory 3(DS) and put about 20 hours into Frontier and 5 into RF3 and haven't made a dent in either.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Showed up in mine last week. I pre-ordered it. no clue WTF it is though.[/QUOTE]

I do recall someone here someone here was interested in the game.

I just checked out a few videos of the game on Youtube and it seems like a game of Rock, paper scissors. You and your opponent queue up 7 actions before the start of the round then act them out and do it again after you act them all out.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Wow new Rune Factory for PS3 coming out in September.[/QUOTE]
Oh, there's a release date for Tides of Destiny now? Sweet; time to preorder! Will be getting the Wii version, since I don't have a PS3.

[quote name='blueshinra']Oh, there's a release date for Tides of Destiny now? Sweet; time to preorder! Will be getting the Wii version, since I don't have a PS3.[/QUOTE]

September 27th. Wii is $39.99 and PS3 is $49.99

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Anybody interested in Fate/Extra? It showed up in my Quick Picks this morning.[/QUOTE]

It's in mine today. Conspiracy! ;)

grinded out KOTOR yesterday! ugh the pc version is buggy...

i picked up some of the lightsaber crystals in the last temple but they didn't show up in my inventory.

the twist is still sooo good.

bastila!

the game crashed at the end after i beat malak, fml. i didn't have any force powers to take out the trapped jedi though, that was tough.

I can't believe that my Arcana Heart 3 LE shipped after Xenoblade from Zavvi but it's the first one here :bomb: Imagine my joy when I saw a package from Zavvi in the box this morning and then my subsequent disappointment when I see what's actually in the package. I only even got AH3 because I forgot to cancel it, heh.

Awesome, my wife is every excited!:lol:

Rune Factory 3 was pretty good, the combat really removes some of the Harvest Moon repetitive farming aspect.

[quote name='fwbweux']I can't believe that my Arcana Heart 3 LE shipped after Xenoblade from Zavvi but it's the first one here :bomb: Imagine my joy when I saw a package from Zavvi in the box this morning and then my subsequent disappointment when I see what's actually in the package. I only even got AH3 because I forgot to cancel it, heh.[/QUOTE]

how was the quality of the packing form Zavvi? I was thinking of ordering AH3 LE but I was worried that it will be damage like other LE I brought from them.

btw the Xbox 360 version is region locked

[quote name='62t']how was the quality of the packing form Zavvi? I was thinking of ordering AH3 LE but I was worried that it will be damage like other LE I brought from them.

btw the Xbox 360 version is region locked[/QUOTE]

It came in a rigid cardboard box that fit the game almost perfectly. I was pretty surprised myself as I just imagined that it would come shoved in a giant mailer.

Didn't realize there was a PS3 version (PAL release I assume?). Makes sense. Saw the 360 version was PAL only :(

On an RPG related (and import related) note: Xenoblade is friggin sweet!!!!

Cons:
Graphics look like a good PS2 game (think FFXII) but I expect better from the Wii.
... that's all I can think of off the top of my head :D

Pros:
Real time combat with some surprising depth added in over time
DO NOT READ
You get the ability to "see the future" if a party member is going to die and have a limited amount of time to take an action to stop it from happening

Nice blending of traditional JRPG storytelling (all in game cutscenes btw) with almost MMO-like qualities of fetch quest, get x of item drop from enemy abc, and bands of roving monsters. A lot of it reminds me of FFXII to be honest (a good thing!)

Day/night cycle with different enemies appearing at different times and different music playing during the day and at night for each area. A very nice touch.

A bit of a Majora's Mask/Radiata Stories-ish townspeople aspect where they have hourly schedules and you can do mini-quests for them and the more you get to know them the more you understand the connections between them. Very cool imho.

British VO's: imho a good thing, because it enhances the "Fantasy" (since I'm not used to British accents). I very much liked the voice acting in DQ8 for the same reason.

More that I'm sure I'm forgetting...

[quote name='Zmonkay']Cons:
Graphics look like a good PS2 game (think FFXII) but I expect better from the Wii.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you were setting yourself up for disappoint from the beginning.

Glad to hear that the game is living up to the hype. Gonna hold off on importing for a while though.

[quote name='Indignate']Sounds like you were setting yourself up for disappoint from the beginning.

Glad to hear that the game is living up to the hype. Gonna hold off on importing for a while though.[/QUOTE]

I should clarify while much of it is low res and unimpressive, the art style is fantastic and damned impressive, as is the sense of scale of the world (ie, it's friggin gigantic).

[quote name='Zmonkay']I should clarify while much of it is low res and unimpressive, the art style is fantastic and damned impressive, as is the sense of scale of the world (ie, it's friggin gigantic).[/QUOTE]

From what I've seen, it looks good for being on the console it's on. You probably can't get any better than that.

How big are the areas? Are their cities/towns and do they seem big in scale?

Hey there CAGers, I was a member of this site for a couple of months and enjoyed my time here, viewing the deals on video games and chatting it up about video games with some lads here. I started using GGT one night, was getting along with everyone, and BOOM! I was banned for "no reason". I created numerous accounts after this one was banned for no reason, trying to find out why I got banned in the first place (I'm just starting think a mod/admin didn't like me and just wanted me gone...pretty shitty on their part) and I never got a answer. I really do miss this site alot, but if I at least don't get a answer for my reason of ban in the first place, I'm just going to say fuck it and move over to neoGAF. That is all and I hope a admin/mod reads this and lets me back on (though I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt it)

-Cheddahz

P.S And yes, I have tried to contact them via a email, and I never got a response from anyone, once again pretty weak on their part

P.S.S See you guys on 3rd Strike tomorrow b)

P.S.S.S Deus Ex: Human Revolution looks bloody amazing

Played only 4 hours of BoF IV. I like it but I want to wait till my guide comes in since I have a few gameplay aspects I'm not sure of. Like how the master system works and learning new skills and spells.

Should have Deus Ex in tomorrow. Perfect since I have the next 3 days off.

[quote name='Rodimus']Played only 4 hours of BoF IV. I like it but I want to wait till my guide comes in since I have a few gameplay aspects I'm not sure of. Like how the master system works and learning new skills and spells.

.[/QUOTE]

Where you find the guide cheap? (I have it but kinda wanting a BofIII guide)

[quote name='Indignate']How big are the areas? Are their cities/towns and do they seem big in scale?[/QUOTE]

The areas are all massive. Luckily there are pretty well spaced checkpoints that you can open the map and warp to at any given time (think Dragon Quest's Zoom, but instantly available instead of at level-whatever-it-is). Can't really think of a good comparison. They are all (so far) sprawling too, with few exceptions, so it's not like Rogue Galaxy for example which had some decently long dungeons but where really just disguised corridors.

Technically only came across 1 city so far (not far in though) and a couple of small outposts. Again, it's pretty damned big and open, and I've spent tons of time just doing laps around it to get conversations with all the townspeople to make "connections". There's a menu that shows all the unique named (since there are also generic "Colony 9 Citizen" people) citizen's you've met, and lines link them to each other so you know their relationships and opinions. Pretty cool.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Where you find the guide cheap? (I have it but kinda wanting a BofIII guide)[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call it cheap, but it was the cheapest I found on eBay. $20 and it's a little beat-up. Ehh, I'm not much of a collector anyways. As long as no pages are ripped out I'm fine.

not an RPG in the traditional sense... but deus ex 3 has been pretty good. i got addicted yesterday and played till 2AM.

what makes it worse is how bad i am at stealth games.

[quote name='whoknows']Gave up on FFIV.

Started Oath In Felghana and love it so far.[/QUOTE]

Don't post much in this thread, but I figure I'd chime in on FFIV(event though this post is old). It really is grind heavy, at least the PSP version. Not only that, but the story is pretty damn bad, IMO.

FFIV Story Spoilers:

I'm currently in the underground and got the necklace for the sealed cave. Story is really bad. Apparently every damn character in this game has 2 lives. Cid gets blown up...but he lives. Yang falls into the ocean...but he lives. Then he blows up with the cannon...but he lives. Rydia falls into the ocean...but she lives. I'm pretty fucking sure the twins live since they're in the opening movie for FFIV the after years. It's like I'm suppose to be sad, but the characters aren't developed enough for me to care and they die too many times and way too often.

So I'll also probably drop it and just shelve it or something. It's in my backlog, but I'm not having fun with it so I'll just put it at the back of the backlog for now.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']
FFIV Story Spoilers:

I'm currently in the underground and got the necklace for the sealed cave. Story is really bad. Apparently every damn character in this game has 2 lives. Cid gets blown up...but he lives. Yang falls into the ocean...but he lives. Then he blows up with the cannon...but he lives. Rydia falls into the ocean...but she lives. I'm pretty fucking sure the twins live since they're in the opening movie for FFIV the after years. It's like I'm suppose to be sad, but the characters aren't developed enough for me to care and they die too many times and way too often.
[/QUOTE]
You have to understand, this all seemed very dramatic and surprising back in 1991. :lol:

[quote name='2DMention']I don't dare play Deus Ex because I don't like stealth games and suck at them. :hot:

Very close to beating FFIV on PSP.[/QUOTE]

Well the stealth isn't required,you could just go guns blazing.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']
FFIV Story Spoilers:

So I'll also probably drop it and just shelve it or something. It's in my backlog, but I'm not having fun with it so I'll just put it at the back of the backlog for now.[/QUOTE]

what is this i dont even

P4 spinoff for Japanese cellphones. Card-based battle system and new Personas only attainable through microtransactions.

[quote name='whoknows']Lame. I want P4P.

They could just put it on the Vita.[/QUOTE]

If they port it to the Vita, I will poop my pants.

[quote name='whoknows']Lame. I want P4P.

They could just put it on the Vita.[/QUOTE]

If that was a response to me, I was making a (very pessimistic) guess of what it could be, not stating what it actually was :lol:

[quote name='fwbweux']If that was a response to me, I was making a (very pessimistic) guess of what it could be, not stating what it actually was :lol:[/QUOTE]

Oh you...

[quote name='fwbweux']If that was a response to me, I was making a (very pessimistic) guess of what it could be, not stating what it actually was :lol:[/QUOTE]

Oh, I didn't actually click the link.

And your response just seemed so confident :lol:

[quote name='whoknows']Oh, I didn't actually click the link.

And your response just seemed so confident :lol:[/QUOTE]

It's just a yellow background with the website address written in the p4 font on an angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back