We had to import RPG Thread XII from Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='jello44']It's just a yellow background with the website address written in the p4 font on an angle.[/QUOTE]

Oh :lol:

I hope it's P4P...PSP or Vita, I don't care!

[quote name='whoknows']I remember watching the first few episodes of the last Persona anime and thinking it wasn't very good.

Did it get better?[/QUOTE]

I never saw it, but it's an offshoot of P3 or something.

I heard it was pretty bad and not worth watching.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Don't post much in this thread, but I figure I'd chime in on FFIV(event though this post is old). It really is grind heavy, at least the PSP version. Not only that, but the story is pretty damn bad, IMO.

FFIV Story Spoilers:

I'm currently in the underground and got the necklace for the sealed cave. Story is really bad. Apparently every damn character in this game has 2 lives. Cid gets blown up...but he lives. Yang falls into the ocean...but he lives. Then he blows up with the cannon...but he lives. Rydia falls into the ocean...but she lives. I'm pretty fucking sure the twins live since they're in the opening movie for FFIV the after years. It's like I'm suppose to be sad, but the characters aren't developed enough for me to care and they die too many times and way too often.

So I'll also probably drop it and just shelve it or something. It's in my backlog, but I'm not having fun with it so I'll just put it at the back of the backlog for now.[/QUOTE]

You are now
shunned.jpg

[quote name='whoknows']
I hope it's P4P...PSP or Vita, I don't care![/QUOTE]

I definitely care, a Vita re-make would be much more likely to be fully featured and even add new stuff. I believe in the past they've said that Persona 4 was too big for a single UMD, even if they streamlined it like they did with P3P.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah, I totally believed it too. :lol:[/QUOTE]

You should have enough experience with fwb by now to know better. ;)

[quote name='bvharris']You should have enough experience with fwb by now to know better. ;)[/QUOTE]
It's that Chie avatar, she's just so sincere and trustworthy. I see that face and I can't help but believe.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']It's that Chie avatar, she's just so sincere and trustworthy. I see that face and I can't help but believe.[/QUOTE]

I'm torn between my respect for you as a gamer, and my urge to call you a simpleton for yoru Chie love. ;)

[quote name='fwbweux']P4 spinoff for Japanese cellphones. Card-based battle system and new Personas only attainable through microtransactions.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I fell for that in an instant and was disappointed in Atlus. Good job! :applause:

[quote name='Hell Monkey']You are now
shunned.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I suppose if I played it back when it originally released it'd be good, but now it's just grindy-bad-story game.

I'll probably start DQIV now...

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']I suppose if I played it back when it originally released it'd be good, but now it's just grindy-bad-story game.

I'll probably start DQIV now...[/QUOTE]

You don't like grinds and you are going top lay DQIV? You got a surprise coming. FFIV has a better story and less grinding then DQIV.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']You don't like grinds and you are going top lay DQIV? You got a surprise coming. FFIV has a better story and less grinding then DQIV.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I just don't like something about the grinding.

I loved grinding in P3 for Lucifer/Beelzebub (was it these 2?) Armageddon combo attack, and just getting to level 75 in that. I liked Crimson Gem Saga and got all of my characters to level 99 in that. (Though I got bored of grinding near the end of trying to get to 99) I didn't think the grinding in DQVIII was bad. (got 90+ hours in DQVIII according to my save file)

I guess something about the game just rubs me the wrong way...

Edit: And I guess the feeling I get when grinding in FFIV is
"What's the fucking point if my character will die like he's done so many times and come back to me leveled high again?"

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jello44']Oh you...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='whoknows']Oh, I didn't actually click the link.

And your response just seemed so confident :lol:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah, I totally believed it too. :lol:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bvharris']You should have enough experience with fwb by now to know better. ;)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Hell Monkey']LOL, I thought the people "believing" were joking as well.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='momouchi']Wow, I fell for that in an instant and was disappointed in Atlus. Good job! :applause:[/QUOTE]

My work here is done :cool: I'm the Johnny Appleseed of gaming pessimism, planting the seeds of doubt in peoples' hearts in hope that they'll one day grow into trees of kneejerk cynicism and a compulsive need to assume the worst about the future of your favorite franchises.

bv already knows my P4 spinoff joke too well because it's a variation on a joke about a really horrible FFVI remake that I told him once, hah. I'll post the shopped box art of the "remake" that I created if I can find it :lol:

Anyway, it has to be P4P for Vita. Can't wait to have Fem!Protagonist, Chie, Yukiko, and Naoto in bikini armor on a glorious OLED screen.

[quote name='fwbweux']
Anyway, it has to be P4P for Vita. Can't wait to have Fem!Protagonist, Rise, Yukiko, and Naoto in bikini armor on a glorious OLED screen.[/QUOTE]

:drool:

Me either.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']
I guess something about the game just rubs me the wrong way...

Edit: And I guess the feeling I get when grinding in FFIV is
"What's the fucking point if my character will die like he's done so many times and come back to me leveled high again?"
[/QUOTE]

The point you are at, I don't think anyone else is going to come back to your party except
Kain
. The PSP version makes people available optionally if you want to head back to Mysidia, but really I prefer to stick with who it gives me like the original experience was intended.

[quote name='bvharris']Anyway, it has to be P4P for Vita. Can't wait to have Hanako, Mara, Moorooka, and Rise in bikini armor on a glorious OLED screen.[/quote]

something something fixed something

Why didn't P4 have alternate costumes anyway? I know they had an ultra-flimsy in-game justification for always wearing their school uniforms into the TV world, but costumes would have been awesome.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']You don't like grinds and you are going top lay DQIV? You got a surprise coming. FFIV has a better story and less grinding then DQIV.[/QUOTE]
the only time i did any grinding in dq4 DS was in chapter 5,
fighting marquis de leon.

also i think the story is wayyyy better in dq4.
beginning of chapter 5... :cry:

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Why didn't P4 have alternate costumes anyway? I know they had an ultra-flimsy in-game justification for always wearing their school uniforms into the TV world, but costumes would have been awesome.[/QUOTE]
costumes are awesome.
i hate wearing armor that looks ugly just because it's more effective. even terraria understands that and allows you to wear different armor for display as opposed to armor for stats. i think guild wars 2 will be like that too.
when will the rest of the rpg world figure that out?

[quote name='kainzero']the only time i did any grinding in dq4 DS was in chapter 5,
fighting marquis de leon.

also i think the story is wayyyy better in dq4.
beginning of chapter 5... :cry:

[/QUOTE]

We'll just have to agree you are wrong. ;)

I had to grind in Chapter 1 (before the tower), 2 (the tournie), 4 (same as you) and 5 (last boss).

Also the story was good, but the characters I preferred more in FFIV, whic thus let to a better story in my mind.

[quote name='bvharris']DQIV had a great story, FFIV also had a great story. Their greatness is not mutually exclusive.[/QUOTE]
You're new to this whole "RPG" thing, huh? Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest is like Call of Duty and Halo, you can only like one. That's the rules.

Clothing/armor changes that actually reflect on the in-game character models should be mandatory in all RPGs these days. It's one of the main reasons that DQIX was so enormously addictive.

In other news, still no Xenoblade in the mailbox for me today :(

[quote name='Ryuukishi']You're new to this whole "RPG" thing, huh? Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest is like Call of Duty and Halo, you can only like one. That's the rules.[/QUOTE]

I know you're joking, but I'm curious if there are people who actually think that. I've never considered the two series' fanbases to be especially at odds.

[quote name='bvharris']I definitely care, a Vita re-make would be much more likely to be fully featured and even add new stuff. I believe in the past they've said that Persona 4 was too big for a single UMD, even if they streamlined it like they did with P3P.[/QUOTE]

They also don't want the game to be as streamlined as P3P was.

[quote name='bvharris']I know you're joking, but I'm curious if there are people who actually think that. I've never considered the two series' fanbases to be especially at odds.[/QUOTE]

It would be pretty hard to have a real rivalry anyway considering that Final Fantasy's fanbase is hundreds of times larger than that of Dragon Quest (outside of Japan, at least.)

[quote name='bvharris']I know you're joking, but I'm curious if there are people who actually think that. I've never considered the two series' fanbases to be especially at odds.[/QUOTE]
I've seen the sentiment that Dragon Quest is too traditional or Final Fantasy isn't traditional enough.

[quote name='fwbweux']It would be pretty hard to have a real rivalry anyway considering that Final Fantasy's fanbase is hundreds of times larger than that of Dragon Quest (outside of Japan, at least.)[/QUOTE]

I grew up a Final Fantasy fan since I didn't have an NES until later in life and the SNES Dragon Quests didn't come over. But once I was introduced to Dragon Quest with VII (and especially VIII) there was plenty of room in my heart for both. :D

I have yet to finish a Dragon Quest game despite owning IV, V, VI, VIII, and IX, plus renting the NES games a few times as a kid. Best I've done is make it to the final boss in IV.

Well, they're pretty long. Playing Dragon Quest VIII in particular is like slipping into a comfortable cocoon of traditional JRPG bliss. If you're in that mood (which even I'm not always), there's no better soul food.

How are you fine folks in the RPG thread doing? I had a couple of opinion questions, and this seems like as good a way to start posting here as any. (I'd also join in shunning people that stopped playing FFIV, but I haven't been here long enough to do so :D )

I'm curious what people's opinions are in regards to SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked. I have a DS lite and a 3DS (I'll probably eventually get a DSIXL as well) and I was intially very excited about this release. Now though I'm wondering if it's really going to be worth the extra money, or whether I'd be better off getting the DS version for cheaper.

My other question was, how long of a wait do you think is going to be safe before deciding to import Xenoblade ;) I'd just as soon not have to import it, as I would want to get a second console solely to play games from other regions.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I have yet to finish a Dragon Quest game despite owning IV, V, VI, VIII, and IX, plus renting the NES games a few times as a kid. Best I've done is make it to the final boss in IV.[/QUOTE]

I'm the same with Final Fantasy. I own IV, V, VII, VIII, IX, and XIII. I haven't beat any of them. I've only beat X and gotten close to end of FFVII, but then my disc started freezing on FFVII.

Just to let you guys know, Hell Monkey is the smartest person in this thread.

Followed by those without Chie Avatars.

Then the rest of you.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']How are you fine folks in the RPG thread doing? I had a couple of opinion questions, and this seems like as good a way to start posting here as any. (I'd also join in shunning people that stopped playing FFIV, but I haven't been here long enough to do so :D )

I'm curious what people's opinions are in regards to SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked. I have a DS lite and a 3DS (I'll probably eventually get a DSIXL as well) and I was intially very excited about this release. Now though I'm wondering if it's really going to be worth the extra money, or whether I'd be better off getting the DS version for cheaper.

My other question was, how long of a wait do you think is going to be safe before deciding to import Xenoblade ;) I'd just as soon not have to import it, as I would want to get a second console solely to play games from other regions.[/QUOTE]

Don't own it, but from what I've read it's better then the original by adding an extra chapter to the story, voice acting, and an in game timer. People say the new VA sucks though.

I know this because I researched it while trying to decided if I should buy it, but with my current backlog I just can't justify $40

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Don't own it, but from what I've read it's better then the original by adding an extra chapter to the story, voice acting, and an in game timer. People say the new VA sucks though.

I know this because I researched it while trying to decided if I should buy it, but with my current backlog I just can't justify $40[/QUOTE]
I was going to wait to buy it because of my backlog, but since gamestop is the only B&M retailer to carry it, I decided I would be better off buying it tomorrow with some trades. I know how atlus's stuff gets. It becomes hard as fuck to find.

[quote name='Indignate']Just to let you guys know, Hell Monkey is the smartest person in this thread.

Then the rest of you.[/QUOTE]

\\:D/

That sort of insight ranks you pretty high up there.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I was going to wait to buy it because of my backlog, but since gamestop is the only B&M retailer to carry it, I decided I would be better off buying it tomorrow with some trades. I know how atlus's stuff gets. It becomes hard as fuck to find.[/QUOTE]

Use to think that, but then I bought the Catherine CE.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I have yet to finish a Dragon Quest game despite owning IV, V, VI, VIII, and IX, plus renting the NES games a few times as a kid. Best I've done is make it to the final boss in IV.[/QUOTE]

I finished DW I-IV on the NES, and though I've played IV(DS)-IX I haven't finished any of them.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Nah nah.[/QUOTE]

Where'd you find that illustration of Justin Bieber for your new avatar? My little cousin would love something like that for the inside of her hope chest.

[quote name='Indignate']Just to let you guys know, Hell Monkey is the smartest person in this thread.

That's alright, I know who the best character in Persona is, before he was cool. (Most people just haven't realized how awesome he is yet.) :cool:

TeddieandAliceflower.jpg

[quote name='Hell Monkey']We'll just have to agree you are wrong. ;)

I had to grind in Chapter 1 (before the tower), 2 (the tournie), 4 (same as you) and 5 (last boss).

Also the story was good, but the characters I preferred more in FFIV, whic thus let to a better story in my mind.[/QUOTE]
the reason i prefer dq4 story is that i think it's still good... i don't think there's many parts that i think are impossible to believe.

ff4, while i loved it when it came out, has aged pretty poorly. i mean golbez's slow ass hand that steals the crystal in the dwarf castle is hilarious!

same as me is chapter 5, not chapter 4. =)
there have also been many times where i went through the dungeon, got to the end and warped outside, then redid the dungeon because i didn't have enough mp to fight the boss.

well if you're not the smartest person in the thread, how do we believe you? =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back