We had to import RPG Thread XII from Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Cheska19']So, Devil Survivor Overclocked, who else is playing this beauty? Yoohoo is finally growing on me, despite her whiny attitude.[/QUOTE]
I would like to start it but I am going to do Xenoblade when it comes in and Dead Island when it comes out next week. Although it's a SMT game so I will play it (it's sitting in my portable RPG backlog shelf now, lol).

With that said, I should take a run to gamestop and get some PS2 RPG's sometime, considering I can run them :lol:. Probably take a look at stock tonight and head out tomorrow.

Well, one of the main reasons for picking up Devil Survivor Overclocked now is that it has a limited print run. I owned the original, but ended up selling it once this was announced. I know VA's aren't a huge deal, but they're adding to the enjoyment of the game for me.

[quote name='Cheska19']Well, one of the main reasons for picking up Devil Survivor Overclocked now is that it has a limited print run.[/QUOTE]

I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that we've heard that song and dance from Atlus before on more than one occasion only for the game to get another run.

I'm not saying it couldn't be true, but they're one of the companies who always make me a bit skeptical when I hear that.

[quote name='themaster20000']Speaking of the SMT games I was wondering how good the Digital Devil Saga games were since I just got both in a trade.[/QUOTE]
It's been a while but I remember enjoying both games.

[quote name='Cheska19']Well, one of the main reasons for picking up Devil Survivor Overclocked now is that it has a limited print run. I owned the original, but ended up selling it once this was announced. I know VA's aren't a huge deal, but they're adding to the enjoyment of the game for me.[/QUOTE]

I might grab that soonish. But lately my interest in RPGs have been waning... so I dunno.

[quote name='bvharris']I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that we've heard that song and dance from Atlus before on more than one occasion only for the game to get another run.

I'm not saying it couldn't be true, but they're one of the companies who always make me a bit skeptical when I hear that.[/QUOTE]

Ya, that seems to be Atlus' new angle.

"Hey, these guys are saying our games aren't in print long enough, what should we do?"

"Hmmm...on our next game we print a shit ton of copies but tell them it's rare so people can buy a copy to keep sealed for "the value" and one to play."

Profits ensue.

Also, Dragon Quest IV is fun. Battle Animations are cool.

How the fuck can DQIV have Battle Animations for every monster but Devil Survivor can only have it for attacks? Seems like Atlus lazied-out on the animation budget...

they lost me when they claimed they only made enough Catherine Love is Over Edition for preorder and right now it is still in stock from amazon a month later

[quote name='62t']they lost me when they claimed they only made enough Catherine Love is Over Edition for preorder and right now it is still in stock from amazon a month later[/QUOTE]

Same.

The fact Fry's had the Love is Over Edition for $59.99 on launch just added salt to the wound. Even though Atlus had nothing to do with the Fry's sale, it still hurts.(my wallet)

[quote name='62t']they lost me when they claimed they only made enough Catherine Love is Over Edition for preorder and right now it is still in stock from amazon a month later[/QUOTE]

To be fair how many people canceled their pre-order when they came to their senses? I honestly wish I did. lol

HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ: New angle? They've been doing this for years.

Yeah, when was the last time an Atlus game was genuinely hard to find after launch? Even the Digital Devil Saga and Persona games on PS2 were reprinted ad nauseum, including the Persona 3 outer box and bonus items.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah, when was the last time an Atlus game was genuinely hard to find after launch? Even the Digital Devil Saga and Persona games on PS2 were reprinted ad nauseum, including the Persona 3 outer box and bonus items.[/QUOTE]

Etrian Odyssey 2. And Radiant Historia's first print is hard to find.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']To be fair how many people canceled their pre-order when they came to their senses? I honestly wish I did. lol

HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ: New angle? They've been doing this for years.[/QUOTE]

Have they? I didn't really follow Atlus until Persona 3, but their other games seem to be rare/hard to find. What I meant by my last post is that they'll print enough of the game so that it's common and not hard to find.

I mean P(ersona) 1 and P2 are hard to find, outside of the internet and before the remakes, P3 with Artbook is uncommon, P4 pre-order artbook is uncommon, DDS pack is uncommon(before reprint). It seems like after Persona 3, or Persona 4, they started printing a lot of collectors editions that have seen numerous price drops and are easy to find. Like Devil Summoner CE, Catherine CE, Luminous Arc 2 CE, etc. Devil Summoners went as low as $19.99 Luminous went to $25 and I'm sure Catherine will hit $60 on Amazon, and will go as low as $40.

I'm just saying they're not the company who's LE's you buy Day 1 anymore. You wait for a price drop like all the other big names like Capcom, EA, and Sony. Atlus is the big name of the niche market.

I agree, some of their games that were thought to be rare are now easy to find. However, even Persona PSP is now looking to be scarce. I don't mind paying for the games at release to support the company and more localizations for games I love.

[quote name='Cheska19']I don't mind paying for the games at release to support the company and more localizations for games I love.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I tend to buy some games even though I'm not going to start them right away just to show that I support what a company is doing.

For instance Tales of Graces I'll be getting day one, in hopes that Xillia will get brought over too, as well as future Tales games. Same thing for Monster Hunter, that is if Capcom decides to release another MH game over here.

[quote name='Cheska19']I agree, some of their games that were thought to be rare are now easy to find. However, even Persona PSP is now looking to be scarce. I don't mind paying for the games at release to support the company and more localizations for games I love.[/QUOTE]

I don't mind that either, I definitely buy some games at release even though I might not play them for a while for just that reason.

I was just making the point that Atlus has a bit of a Chicken Little reputation when it comes to print runs/scarcity.

Speaking of quirky, awesome games that are normally associated with Atlus, I completely spaced that Disgaea 4 is coming out next month.

I'm really hoping that one doesn't disappoint.

[quote name='BattleChicken']Speaking of quirky, awesome games that are normally associated with Atlus, I completely spaced that Disgaea 4 is coming out next month.

I'm really hoping that one doesn't disappoint.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it'll be more of the same, so you should be alright.

Unless you don't like/are sick of the Disgaea games to begin with and are hoping for some reinvention. In that case, you're most likely screwed.

[quote name='BattleChicken']Speaking of quirky, awesome games that are normally associated with Atlus, I completely spaced that Disgaea 4 is coming out next month.

I associate Disgaea with NIS.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Atlus published the first game in America IIRC.[/QUOTE]

I've started associated Disgaea with NIS ever since I thought "Hmmm, this game is a turn based strategy game on a grid system with 90% loli characters...must be a NIS title."

[quote name='Cheska19']I dunno, it doesn't really feel kiddy at all to me. The plot is pretty mature, the game can prove to be quite a challenge, and the VA for Overclocked is well done. It feels like just another SMT title. Granted, I'm still early in the game, so there's a chance my feelings may end up changing.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you thought was so "mature" about it. You play as a bunch of little kids, the story is pretty simple and uninteresting especially for a SMT game. The plot moves along at a slow pace and really drags the game out. Yeah it's got demons, end of the world, blah blah blah, but I guess that's typical of any RPG. Lets face it, this is your little brothers SMT.

I didn't hate the game, but it was probably my least favorite SMT game.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']I've started associated Disgaea with NIS ever since I thought "Hmmm, this game is a turn based strategy game on a grid system with 90% loli characters...must be a NIS title."[/QUOTE]

That's what I've been telling people to do to understand the difference.

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=30473

Looks like Nintendo of America is finally giving us something. Layton 4 will include London Life. Interesting enough Europe will not get that. So no London Life if you are living in London

tumblr_kx226nbdcz1qatl2to1_500.png

[quote name='Indignate']It doesn't look like much at all. If I'm reading it right, it seems like a mode that we don't have to wait to unlock.[/QUOTE]

The graphics looks like Mother 3 which is always a good thing

quote from neogaf

Professor Layton and the Last Specter for the Nintendo DS family of systems is the fourth installment in the Professor Layton puzzle adventure series. It begins a new trilogy that is a prequel to the original games, set three years before the events in Professor Layton and the Curious Village™. The game contains more puzzles than any in the series to date. As a North American exclusive to the overall Professor Layton and the Last Specter package, a bonus role-playing game called Professor Layton’s London Life™ containing more than 100 hours of additional content will be available to players from the start of the game. European players are still receiving superior voice acting for beloved characters such as Luke.

Professor Layton and the Last Specter for the Nintendo DS family of systems is the fourth installment in the Professor Layton puzzle adventure series. It begins a new trilogy that is a prequel to the original games, set three years before the events in Professor Layton and the Curious Village™. The game contains more puzzles than any in the series to date. As a North American exclusive to the overall Professor Layton and the Last Specter package, a bonus role-playing game called Professor Layton’s London Life™ containing more than 100 hours of additional content will be available to players from the start of the game. European players are still receiving superior voice acting for beloved characters such as Luke.
As opposed to what? The end of the game?

[quote name='Indignate']As opposed to what? The end of the game?[/QUOTE]

In the Japanese version you unlock it after finishing the game.

[quote name='Rodimus']Not sure what you thought was so "mature" about it. You play as a bunch of little kids, the story is pretty simple and uninteresting especially for a SMT game. The plot moves along at a slow pace and really drags the game out. Yeah it's got demons, end of the world, blah blah blah, but I guess that's typical of any RPG. Lets face it, this is your little brothers SMT.

I didn't hate the game, but it was probably my least favorite SMT game.[/QUOTE]

How is this any different than the Persona games? I absolutely adore those games, but the premise is basically the same. High schoolers with special powers out to save the world from demons, etc. It's typical SMT stuff, just the gameplay is basically changed up. I guess what I find so interesting is the whole "7 days to live". I'm not even a fan of SRPG's and yet I find this game good enough to convince me to keep playing.

Either way, different strokes for different folks.

i dunno. i played 1 and 2. didn't like 2 except for the fact that i had a sexy chick on my team. i bought 3 but never touched it and watching my bro play it didn't seem like much fun either.

Need suggestions on a potential GS haul tomorrow. I am going for $15 and under RPG games. Don't want any Square Enix games.

Right now on my to buy list I have (because my gamestop says they have them in stock, need two more games. Any RPG will do as long as it's pretty good)
Suidoken 3
.Hack (the first .Hack of the series)

Games I have played
Final Fantasy X, XII
Star Ocean TTEOT
Nocturne
Persona 4
Rogue Galaxy

[quote name='Cheska19']How is this any different than the Persona games?[/QUOTE]

Even though it has teenage kids as the main characters it's not kiddy. I will say even for SMT games Persona is a bit on the light side, well P3 & 4 at least. But Persona just nails it with unique gameplay, interesting characters, and dealing with issues like death, sexuality, and relationships on a much deeper level.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Just got :wii: Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny in my Quick Picks, so I went ahead and preordered it, only now I'm reading that it doesn't support the Classic Controller, which seems like a huge bummer...[/QUOTE]
That's odd, especially since Rune Factory Frontier has Classic Controller support.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Need suggestions on a potential GS haul tomorrow. I am going for $15 and under RPG games. Don't want any Square Enix games.

Right now on my to buy list I have (because my gamestop says they have them in stock, need two more games. Any RPG will do as long as it's pretty good)
Suidoken 3
.Hack (the first .Hack of the series)

Games I have played
Final Fantasy X, XII
Star Ocean TTEOT
Nocturne
Persona 4
Rogue Galaxy[/QUOTE]

Dark Cloud 1
Atelier Iris 2(A nice above average rpg worth a playthrough)
Phantom Brave
Valkyrie Profile 2

[quote name='Ryuukishi']My Fate/Extra preorder just decreased from $40 to $30. I wonder if this means they're going to have a separate LE for $40.[/QUOTE]

Here's the reply I got on Twitter from the Director of Production at Aksys Games, Frank deWindt II, regarding the status of the Limited Edition of Fate/Extra.

Me: "I didn't see a listing for the Limited Edition, is there still one in the works?"

Him: "There will be, it just hasn't been officially announced/revealed yet. We hope to say something about that soon :)"

I am a HUGE Fate fan so I'm definitely going to pre-order the LE.

Also picked up SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked today, haven't had a chance to play it yet. Looking forward to it though!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bvharris']I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that we've heard that song and dance from Atlus before on more than one occasion only for the game to get another run.

I'm not saying it couldn't be true, but they're one of the companies who always make me a bit skeptical when I hear that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have a feeling it'll still be relatively easy to find once I get around to getting a 3DS next year. The fact the 3DS didn't sell well will probably also help that.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Turns out, Mass Effect 1 is very speedrunnable. I'm 3.5 hours in, and I've completed Therum, Noveria, and Feros.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is. The first time through I went to the different planets and explored everything. Now if I ever go back and play it, speedrun all the way.

[quote name='kainzero']i dunno. i played 1 and 2. didn't like 2 except for the fact that i had a sexy chick on my team. i bought 3 but never touched it and watching my bro play it didn't seem like much fun either.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly why I hope that 4 doesn't disappoint. 1 was best, 2 was OK but less interesting, and 3 I was rather "meh" about. They added things in the newer releases that seemed incredibly useless/distracting/un-fun to me (like monsters turning in to weapons and the absurd tower attacks for example)

With 4 they've at least done some graphical renovation. I'm cautiously optimistic, but will not be surprised if it's only OK.

I still think the most enjoyable NIS TRPG is Makai Kingdom.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Turns out, Mass Effect 1 is very speedrunnable. I'm 3.5 hours in, and I've completed Therum, Noveria, and Feros.[/QUOTE]

That isn't too surprising to me since the enemies scale to your level. it's absolutely easier when you're super high level, but you could avoid all quests and never shoot anything except the enemies that HAVE to be killed (EXP) and theoretically beat the final boss when you get to him at level suck.

[quote name='BattleChicken']That isn't too surprising to me since the enemies scale to your level. it's absolutely easier when you're super high level, but you could avoid all quests and never shoot anything except the enemies that HAVE to be killed (EXP) and theoretically beat the final boss when you get to him at level suck.[/QUOTE]
I've got a level 60 Soldier, so it's basically Spamming Master Immunity for Fun and Profit. 4:45 on the clock and I have just landed on Ilos.

[quote name='Cheska19']How is this any different than the Persona games? I absolutely adore those games, but the premise is basically the same. High schoolers with special powers out to save the world from demons, etc. It's typical SMT stuff, just the gameplay is basically changed up. I guess what I find so interesting is the whole "7 days to live". I'm not even a fan of SRPG's and yet I find this game good enough to convince me to keep playing.

Either way, different strokes for different folks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree. I didn't think it seemed too kiddy. I didn't think the story or dialogue was as good as Persona, but I still found it to be pretty interesting. And gameplay-wise, I thought it was fantastic. The demon-fusing system was done really well.

I just started 'collecting' again, and most of my interests are in rpgs. I've picked up a bunch of stuff over the last few weeks. Picked up Valkyrie Profile 2 and Xenosaga 1 & 2 (along with Beyond Good and EVil) at Gamestop during their B2G2 PS2 sale. I've also recently picked up Wild Arms 1, 2, and 3, FF X-2 and XII, StarOcean for he PS2, Romancing SaGa, Rogue Galaxy, the first Lunar Complete, Persona 3 FES, Culdcept, Epheneral Fantasia, and Makai Kingdom.

I'm about 6 hours into Rogue Galaxy. Enjoying it so far. Feels like it could be a pretty long game; I don't feel very far into the game at all.

Any suggestions in regards to what to play next? I was thinking about going throught the Wild Arms series.

[quote name='PapaJoeBear']Any suggestions in regards to what to play next? I was thinking about going throught the Wild Arms series.[/QUOTE]

The Wild Arms series is all good. My personal favorite is 5, probably one of my favorite RPGs on the PS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back