We had to import RPG Thread XII from Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='kainzero']
ff4, while i loved it when it came out, has aged pretty poorly. i mean golbez's slow ass hand that steals the crystal in the dwarf castle is hilarious!

[/QUOTE]

I love the slow hand, lol. I'm always yelling at it. "Ash killed his own evil hand. Five of you fuckers can't kill someone elses!?"

Yeah there are parts that aren't believable, I can't argue that. The heroes in FFIV have more personality but they aren't really the sharpest crayons in the box.

[quote name='bvharris']Where'd you find that illustration of Justin Bieber for your new avatar? My little cousin would love something like that for the inside of her hope chest.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Hell Monkey']\\:D/

That sort of insight ranks you pretty high up there.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Indignate']Just to let you guys know, Hell Monkey is the smartest person in this thread.

Followed by those without Chie Avatars.

Then the rest of you.[/QUOTE]

tumblr_l6v4wsHnay1qd7pj1o1_400.gif

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I love the slow hand, lol. I'm always yelling at it. "Ash killed his own evil hand. Five of you fuckers can't kill someone elses!?"

Yeah there are parts that aren't believable, I can't argue that. The heroes in FFIV have more personality but they aren't really the sharpest crayons in the box.[/QUOTE]

I would buy FFIV a ... sixth... I think? time if it had a mini game where you threw knives at Edward.

I hate Edward. I nearly hated Edgar in FFVI because his name sounded so much like "Edward". Finally, Twilight.

fuck Edward.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I love the slow hand, lol. I'm always yelling at it. "Ash killed his own evil hand. Five of you fuckers can't kill someone elses!?"

Yeah there are parts that aren't believable, I can't argue that. The heroes in FFIV have more personality but they aren't really the sharpest crayons in the box.[/QUOTE]
the ds remake without the hand but the "yoink! made you look!" was also equally silly.

i've never thought of dq characters being external creations and personalities, but having their personalities forged based on their current experiences... if that makes any sense. like they have no history... they're making history.

[quote name='icebeast']That's alright, I know who the best character in Persona is, before he was cool. (Most people just haven't realized how awesome he is yet.) :cool:

TeddieandAliceflower.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Wow. That is one sort of creepy yet also pretty amazing piece of fan art. My hat is off.

[quote name='kainzero']

well if you're not the smartest person in the thread, how do we believe you? =)[/QUOTE]

Cuz I'm smart enough to know.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Wow. That is one sort of creepy yet also pretty amazing piece of fan art. My hat is off.[/QUOTE]

I don't really see what's creepy about it, I think it's just awesome. I think I might make an avatar for SMT Alice next since I already have one for Teddie's rendition of Alice. I'd use this as the image:
301px-Alice.jpg

What do you guys thing of the Atelier series?
I see the new one coming out and it looks good.
Im thinking of getting the previous CE one at Gamestop for $40.
Thoughts

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Tales of Xillia looks awesome. Any word on a US release? Of course, I'd need a :ps3: first...[/QUOTE]

We won't hear anything until Tales of Graces come out next year

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Tales of Xillia looks awesome. Any word on a US release? Of course, I'd need a :ps3: first...[/QUOTE]

Ya the Tales of... Panel at Otakon got me totally hyped for that game. But considering it doesn't even come out in Japan till next month I have a feeling an American announcement (assuming we get lucky and they decide to localize it) is still a ways off (and probably not till after Graces is out here). I pray it does get localized though. :pray: Hopefully enough people get Graces at release to convince them to release Xillia.

Got Devil Survivor Overclocked for $7.50 with trades. Thankfully my copy was a sealed copy and it feels good to know I wont have to visit gamestop for months now :D

Now to wait for my copy of Xenoblade to come in the mail. I hope it's alright. I don't really care when I get it, it's just I had problems before with Amazon and losing my mail. This is coming from the UK so yeah I am a bit concerned but whatever.

[quote name='adriley313']What do you guys thing of the Atelier series?
I see the new one coming out and it looks good.
Im thinking of getting the previous CE one at Gamestop for $40.
Thoughts[/QUOTE]
Atelier Rorona is one of those games that I stare at every time I'm at Gamestop hoping that the price on the collector's edition will somehow magically drop one more time while I'm standing there. If you're starting to get excited about the second one though, I think you are pretty much obligated to buy the first one now, aren't you? (assuming that it's a sealed copy at GS and not a gutted one).

On that note, I didn't want to say anything before the transaction was finished but I was thrilled that I was able to get a new copy of the Premium Edition version of Ys Seven from Gamestop for only $29.99. I checked the area, and there were only two stores in a 100 mile radius that still had them. When I tried ordering from the closest one, they sent back an email saying that they didn't have it. Thankfully, the one 70 some odd miles away said that they'd be willing to ship it to the store near my house.

This was great, except that when I went in to pick it up the only thing they had sent me was just the game. I panicked a little bit on the inside, but after calling the other store found out that they had just forgot to include the bonus materials. A couple days later those showed up and were in great condition, with the soundtrack and map still shrink-wrapped inside the box. :whee:

[quote name='roger watersmelon']Atelier Rorona is one of those games that I stare at every time I'm at Gamestop hoping that the price on the collector's edition will somehow magically drop one more time while I'm standing there. If you're starting to get excited about the second one though, I think you are pretty much obligated to buy the first one now, aren't you? (assuming that it's a sealed copy at GS and not a gutted one).

On that note, I didn't want to say anything before the transaction was finished but I was thrilled that I was able to get a new copy of the Premium Edition version of Ys Seven from Gamestop for only $29.99. I checked the area, and there were only two stores in a 100 mile radius that still had them. When I tried ordering from the closest one, they sent back an email saying that they didn't have it. Thankfully, the one 70 some odd miles away said that they'd be willing to ship it to the store near my house.

This was great, except that when I went in to pick it up the only thing they had sent me was just the game. I panicked a little bit on the inside, but after calling the other store found out that they had just forgot to include the bonus materials. A couple days later those showed up and were in great condition, with the soundtrack and map still shrink-wrapped inside the box. :whee:[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Its like you read my mind. Me and my friend used to see the sealed copy there all the time. Now i checked the tracker and it says its there so im hoping next week i can pcik it up and it looked sealed to me. Then i will pre-order the new one from NIS as i dont trust Amazon. I got my first copy of Ys: Seven there. It was GS new but luckily thanks to an Amazon sale, i sold my copy and bought a sealed one. My find there was $30 GS copy of Lunar Silver Star Harmony LE. whic i was happy about. The only warning is to fully inspect the your GameStop new copy as I had to go back to GameStop because they forgot to include the game case they left on the game floor

So, tonight after a long break, I drug out Persona 3 again. Considering that I have 110 hours on it and I'm at Christmas in the game, I should really finish the darn game.

[quote name='adriley313']just saw Fate/Extra on Amazon.
What kinda game is that?[/QUOTE]

dungeon crawl, rock-paper-scissors, high school thigy. Kinda personaish

[quote name='Rodimus']Played Breath of Fire IV for a few hours last night. It's been a while since I got into an RPG and couldn't put it down.[/QUOTE]

It's a great one for sure. I miss Breath of Fire.

[quote name='TheLongshot']So, tonight after a long break, I drug out Persona 3 again. Considering that I have 110 hours on it and I'm at Christmas in the game, I should really finish the darn game.[/QUOTE]

Do it. You're super-close. And if you're at 110 you probably won't even need to grind to finish (I'm assuming you're at a high-enough level to get some really good personas if you don't have them already).

Been playing Deus Ex:HR and really liking it so far.

Pre-ordered Atelier Totori from NIS. I've got a lot of upcoming games in the next 7 months that I'm interested in (Atelier Totori, Persona 2:Innocent Sin, Dark Souls, The Witcher 2, Tales of Graces and Mass Effect 3) which will end up causing me a small fortune >.

Just got :wii: Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny in my Quick Picks, so I went ahead and preordered it, only now I'm reading that it doesn't support the Classic Controller, which seems like a huge bummer...

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Just got :wii: Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny in my Quick Picks, so I went ahead and preordered it, only now I'm reading that it doesn't support the Classic Controller, which seems like a huge bummer...[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's why I've skipped it so far, not really interested in farming with motion control.

[quote name='Backlash']Do it. You're super-close. And if you're at 110 you probably won't even need to grind to finish (I'm assuming you're at a high-enough level to get some really good personas if you don't have them already).[/QUOTE]

Reading ahead, it looks like there is a month left in gameplay. Enough time to max out a few more arcana.

BTW, I've been thinking about picking up Shadow Hearts: Covenent at my local Gamestop for the PS2 sale. Haven't played any of them. Recommended?

[quote name='TheLongshot']BTW, I've been thinking about picking up Shadow Hearts: Covenent at my local Gamestop for the PS2 sale. Haven't played any of them. Recommended?[/QUOTE]

Haven't beaten it but it's a great RPG. I always hear love for this game.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Reading ahead, it looks like there is a month left in gameplay. Enough time to max out a few more arcana.

BTW, I've been thinking about picking up Shadow Hearts: Covenent at my local Gamestop for the PS2 sale. Haven't played any of them. Recommended?[/QUOTE]

Just got that one in a trade,but from beating the first one its a good series.If you enjoy a decent story along with funny characters,wacky humor along with dialogue,and solid gameplay then I recommend picking them.

An example of the humour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hApDzQP8E8o

[quote name='TheLongshot']BTW, I've been thinking about picking up Shadow Hearts: Covenent at my local Gamestop for the PS2 sale. Haven't played any of them. Recommended?[/QUOTE]
Highly recommended! It does have some of the melodrama and cheesy humor typical to JRPGs, but on the whole the characters and story are great and the gameplay is fantastic too. It's a real breath of fresh air.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Reading ahead, it looks like there is a month left in gameplay. Enough time to max out a few more arcana.

BTW, I've been thinking about picking up Shadow Hearts: Covenent at my local Gamestop for the PS2 sale. Haven't played any of them. Recommended?[/QUOTE]

Highly recommended. I liked the first Shadow Hearts. Loved the second. And was just lukewarm about the third. The third is the only one I never finished.

It's really something unique in the genre of RPGs. Clever characters, interesting sidequests, and a battle system that relies on tactics and reflexes. (You really have to line up your characters for combos in order to defeat bosses)

So, I did pick it up today, along with a crapload of Ratchet & Clank games.

Course, it needs to go on the stack:

RPGs almost completed:

Persona 3
FF X

RPGs in various stages of completion

FF XII
Rogue Galaxy
Valkyrie Profile 2
Phantasy Star Universe
Suikoden III
Kingdom Hearts 2
Xenosaga
LoZ: Twilight Princess
Nier

RPGs not started
Persona 4
Kingdom Hearts
FF X-2
FF XIII
Xenosaga II
Xenosaga III

Don't even start me on PC RPGs...

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't care much for Devil Survivor. It was the watered down, kiddy, DS version of SMT. Only thing good about it was Yoohoo's rocket tits.

I enjoyed Devil Survivor, the plot really had me hooked, since I love those types of suspense stories. However, as typically happens to me for SRPGs, I reached the last day when basically every battle becomes one boss battle after another for everything till the end of the game and just got burned out before I finished. Maybe some day I'll try and finish it though, but I don't think I'd want to get Overclocked and have to restart.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']My Fate/Extra preorder just decreased from $40 to $30. I wonder if this means they're going to have a separate LE for $40.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. Seems like more games these days are cutting prices before release.. No More Heroes just did it last week.

I liked Devil Survivor even though it seemed to be pretty difficult and the leveling was capped. I liked how your choices played out through the different days and there was variety in the endings. Of course, I only saw them on youtube. I never could quite beat the final boss. Got him down to a final tiny red sliver many times but couldnt close the deal.

[quote name='Rodimus']I didn't care much for Devil Survivor. It was the watered down, kiddy, DS version of SMT. Only thing good about it was Yoohoo's rocket tits.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, it doesn't really feel kiddy at all to me. The plot is pretty mature, the game can prove to be quite a challenge, and the VA for Overclocked is well done. It feels like just another SMT title. Granted, I'm still early in the game, so there's a chance my feelings may end up changing.

I absolutely loved Devil Survivor. Probably my 2nd favorite DS game after Dragon Quest IX.

[quote name='themaster20000']Speaking of the SMT games I was wondering how good the Digital Devil Saga games were since I just got both in a trade.[/QUOTE]

I haven't had a chance to play either yet despite owning them, but I've always heard they're very good. RPGFan (whose reviews I generally agree with) gave DDS2 a higher score than they gave to any other PS2 game, for what it's worth.

[quote name='themaster20000']Speaking of the SMT games I was wondering how good the Digital Devil Saga games were since I just got both in a trade.[/QUOTE]

I didn't finish the first one, but I probably made it 1/3 of the way through (and someday I plan to get back to it) a couple years back, the DDS1 was fairly awesome and the change to skill trees over demon fusing is an interesting change (although I did kind of miss it since demon fusing is one of my favorite parts of the other games in the SMT series). Also, all of the Buddhist and Hindu religious references are also a nice change from Nocturne and some of the other SMT games which have focused more on Judeo-Christian references (not that Judeo-Christian is bad, I find those references really interesting, but I can't name another RPG that has heavy references to Buddhism and Hinduism like DDS does).

[quote name='jello44']A mod loxxored the other thread.

Joystiq is getting in on the action of how to hax your wii.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/19/how-to-play-xenoblade-chronicles-if-you-live-in-america/[/QUOTE]

any CAGs try this procedure? how'd it go?

sorry for the noob question, but does this hack ADD PAL functionality vs REPLACE (original) NTSC functionality to wii's? as much as i'd like to play PAL xenoblade/ whatever NoA won't release in US, i'd still like to play my NTSC kirby's yarn. TIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back