What is the Wii to you? A revolutionary success, or nintendo's biggest failure?

MattJ1991

CAGiversary!
All sales aside, what are your thoughts of the Wii?

The Good:
  • the Wiimote works most of the time
  • the First Party games are almost always great (Galaxy, Zelda)
  • its getting more people into gaming
  • fun, original ideas
  • Virtual Console works great
  • babe friendly
The Bad
  • Terrible, PS2 like Graphics
  • Most "great" games go to PS3 and 360 only, no love for Wii
  • Wifi friend codes suck balls
  • Online sucks balls as well
  • gets old fast
  • no good third party games

So where do you stand, simple CAG, do you love it or hate it?

Im on the fence, I have a Wii and a PS3, and all I ever play is PS3

I like it because it provides a different experience than the big boys. 360/PS3 have their differences, but offer very similar experiences/franchises.

Also, the Wii prints money for Nintendo. I don't know how it can be even argued that its a failure.

[quote name='chakan']I like it because it provides a different experience than the big boys. 360/PS3 have their differences, but offer very similar experiences/franchises.

Also, the Wii prints money for Nintendo. I don't know how it can be even argued that its a failure.[/quote]
Yeah, but the different experience gets very old, my friends agree with this

[quote name='MattJ1991']All sales aside, what are your thoughts of the Wii?

The Bad
  • Terrible, PS2 like Graphics [Developers have no sense of art style anymore, it's all about realism to them]
  • Most "great" games go to PS3 and 360 only, no love for Wii [See below, Nintendo Main First Party games]
  • Wifi friend codes suck balls
  • Online sucks balls as well [Game by game basis friend, and since you include friend codes elsewhere, that's not part of the discussion]
  • gets old fast [what are you playing?]
  • no good third party games [Zack & Wiki, Okami, Boom Blox, RE4:WE, No More Heroes, Guitar Hero say hi]
So where do you stand, simple CAG, do you love it or hate it?

Im on the fence, I have a Wii and a PS3, and all I ever play is PS3[/quote]

I think I've made my points. It's just a great game consoel to me. Virtual Console and new game related. Revolutionary? Maybe in the marketing. Everything else? It's about what I expected graphics aside. If you make me choose love or hate, I choose love.

Well, if your friends agree with you, then I gues you can go ahead and close this thread.

Case closed!

I'm about to get a Wii (have 360 currently) and while I know its library of games isn't equal to that of ps3/360 I'm hoping it will at least give me time playing games with my nongaming wife whose shown slight interest in it which is a big success in itself.

Holding judgement on the quality of the games but from an outsider looking in, its appears rather disapointing that there aren't many must have games beyond 1st party.

[quote name='homeland']I'm about to get a Wii (have 360 currently) and while I know its library of games isn't equal to that of ps3/360 I'm hoping it will at least give me time playing games with my nongaming wife whose shown slight interest in it which is a big success in itself.

Holding judgement on the quality of the games but from an outsider looking in, its appears rather disapointing that there aren't many must have games beyond 1st party.[/quote]
well, my ex LOVED to play Wii with me, so you and your wife should have a blast

It is a piece of shit console that's main interest is to make money and couldn't give a damn about hardcore gamers.

The Wii so far is a failure to me, same old games with a different control scheme. Third parties seem to have really gone to town with ports, financially makes no sense to me to buy the Wii version so I can shake a controller versus picking up the original for half the cost or less. Also the omission of a digital audio port just bugs me, everything else hooked up through my stereo receiver except that.

[quote name='coolsteel']The Wii so far is a failure to me, same old games with a different control scheme. Third parties seem to have really gone to town with ports, financially makes no sense to me to buy the Wii version so I can shake a controller versus picking up the original for half the cost or less. Also the omission of a digital audio port just bugs me, everything else hooked up through my stereo receiver except that.[/quote]
yeah, not to mention that the wii has no HD at all :(

[quote name='MattJ1991']All sales aside, what are your thoughts of the Wii?

[/QUOTE]

so you want to know if they wii is a success by ignoring the fact that the wii is a success?

unless someone invents a time machine and stop the virtual boy from ever being invented nothing nintendo makes from here on out will ever been deems "nintendo's biggest failure".

oh by the way, i found a site you might be interested in.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']so you want to know if they wii is a success by ignoring the fact that the wii is a success?

unless someone invents a time machine and stop the virtual boy from ever being invented nothing nintendo makes from here on out will ever been deems "nintendo's biggest failure".

oh by the way, i found a site you might be interested in.[/QUOTE]

The OP asked what the Wii was to each individual person, the Apple Ipod is a huge financial success yet plenty of people can't stand it. Just because something sells well doesn't make it universally loved and respected, that is what this thread is gauging. I mean christ man get over your knee jerk reaction to your beloved system being questioned, don't like the thread then don't comment.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']so you want to know if they wii is a success by ignoring the fact that the wii is a success?

oh by the way, i found a site you might be interested in.[/quote]
Yeah, listen to coolsteel, I was asking what each person on CAG thought, meaning the gaming community, I know its a success sales wise, but I cant stop but feeling like the general gaming community is dissapointed with it.

And don't get mad at me, I own, and very much like my Wii

It's a success, because it is bringing in people to gaming that have largely avoided it. While this annoys the hardcores, it is actually very good for the industry as a whole. It brings in new revenue, and will allow development of new, revolutionary gaming in the future. Otherwise, we'd just keep getting the same games with better graphics.

OH~! And it also is the one console where 90% of the games aren't FPS's. That's always a plus! :)

RD

RAMSTORIA beat me to pointing out that the Virtual Boy's existence automatically prevents the Wii from being Nintendo's biggest failure from the get go.

I like the Wii very much, and I do think it's a success. Now, I'll grant you that if it were my only gaming system, there might not be enough quality games to keep me busy, but I definitely feel like I'd be missing out if I didn't have a Wii.

[quote name='Yaxley']RAMSTORIA beat me to pointing out that the Virtual Boy's existence automatically prevents the Wii from being Nintendo's biggest failure from the get go.

I like the Wii very much, and I do think it's a success. Now, I'll grant you that if it were my only gaming system, there might not be enough quality games to keep me busy, but I definitely feel like I'd be missing out if I didn't have a Wii.[/quote]
That's kinda how I view it, I barely play it, but I'm still glad to own it, its a love-hate relationship, if i didn't have the PS3 to solve my violent needs, i'd go crazy

[quote name='coolsteel']The Wii so far is a failure to me, same old games with a different control scheme. Third parties seem to have really gone to town with ports, financially makes no sense to me to buy the Wii version so I can shake a controller versus picking up the original for half the cost or less. Also the omission of a digital audio port just bugs me, everything else hooked up through my stereo receiver except that.[/quote]

I hate it when people judge a system based on BAD games. Likewise, calling the wii a failure because of 'ports' is equally stupid. there is a load of games, that are not ports, that are brilliant. Add wiiware/vc, and you've got one hell of a system.

Stop bitching.

To me, the Wii is untapped potential, at least for now. The Virtual Console is nowhere close to being what it should be, which is the definitive source for old school gaming. I realize there are issues with bringing certain games to the VC, but Nintendo should have done a better job of preparing for that and ensuring more blockbuster games were available for it.

Motion controls could be absolutely revolutionary in game playing, yet it still seems to be treated like more of a gimmick. Games like Bowling, Golf, Tennis, and Baseball would be amazing with the proper motion controls, yet where are they? An in depth bowling game with all kinds of stat tracking, online tournament play, career mode, and other things would probably be a smash hit due to the extremely casual friendly play it would provide.

All that being said, the Wii still has the most games I am interested in playing. With all the sales it is doing and as it keeps expanding, there should be many more quality games coming out to have even more games that I want to play. People seem to forgot that I doubt anybody would have predicted the Wii to be such a smash hit as far as sales go, so developers stayed away at first. Now though, many developers want to get a piece of those sales, so we should start seeing a bunch of new quality games.

I play my wii more than my 360 and ps3.

Sure, it could be better. All consoles could. But it's not at all a failure.

You guys are either extremely spoiled or just in denial if games like Smash Bros, SMG, MKWii, Excite Truck, and many others aren't enough to satisfy you.

I mean, seriously, some of you have forgotten what quality gaming is. Too concerned about labeling everything hardcore or casual. What about labeling games fun and not fun?

Just a pure Nintendo Console. You can play games back from the NES Era to now. The controls were revolutionary, and has fun games.

The only thing I dont like about the Wii are three quarters of half assed 3rd party games. Also how Nintendo caring more about the wide audience rather than the hardcore gamer. (NO MORE Wii Fit.)

Saying "No good third party games", "gets old fast" and "online sucks balls" are opinions and not facts.

There's quite a bit of 3rd party games that are really good on the Wii. I believe someone has mentioned the really good ones.
Getting old fast..well, that's just you. I know I play this more then my 360.
Smash Bros is the only online game that I really had a problem with. It get's kinda laggy at times. Mario Kart, on the other hand, is a GREAT online game. With use of rankings, tournaments, and 12 players..ya really can't complain about it.

Also, to say "All sales aside" is kinda silly. The point of having a product is to make as many people as possible buy it..and..they are doing that.

A marketing success.

While I enjoy plenty of third party games, and I'm a big fan of motion controls, nobody (including Nintendo) has pushed the Wii anywhere near its full potential. To be a Wii owner is to partake in one of the most frustrating generations this industry has seen. It has also shown us that Nintendo is just as stubborn as before, and that most people don't take the time to understand the nuances in motion control, and instead flail about or just revert to conventional controls.

The machine itself is a great success and the standout titles so far are fresh and a lot of fun but... the dearth of information regarding upcoming first party software annoys me to no end.

I will be very, very disappointed if we don't see Animal Crossing this year or at least another big holiday game. Wario seems like it will be a lot of fun but I just can't see it being even near the level of Galaxy.

I wouldn't say I that I hate it, but it's definitely my least favorite Nintendo system to date and I've owned them all. However, I do hate Nintendo's new casual geared business model. I do feel the Wii remote is a 100% total gimmick, and that standard controllers work far better at 99.9% of games.

Personally, it's a failure to me. It just doesn't have any games that really appeal to me (yet), whereas with the GC I had one within a year of its release because it had pretty decent third party exclusives at the beginning of it's life.

To the general public though, it's a success for reasons that have been stated (namely getting people who dont care about games to get one) and of course it's a success for Nintendo because it's selling insanely well.

Yeah it was to big of a gimmick. I did enjoy quite a few games on it though. Mario galaxy was amazing. I though mario kart wii, and smash brothers brawl was fair of course mario kart wii being better than brawl. I still want to play no more heroes. I don't think it was a failure. I enjoyed the system quite a bit,but super nintendo was way better back in the day if you ask me. That is one thing I like about the wii is the vc games. At first you get a wii your like wow its amazing its fun then the gimmick wears off, and you barely turn it on. I even did the same thing.

The Wii is a breath of fresh air. I'm betting both the Microsoft and Sony are planning on using the Wii's control scheme or some sort of variation of it as their standard controllers next generation. To me, it's a great complimentary system.

Also, I hate the sickening amount of warnings I have to go through to play games that I usually get bored of after five minutes.

[quote name='MattJ1991']The Bad
  • Terrible, PS2 like Graphics
[/quote]

Don't know what you're playing, but some of the wii games look amazing, but really, when did graphics make the game?

And to me, the Wii is true next gen. It changed the way we play some games, I'm actually getting a new and fresh experience playing video games that I don't get from the 360 or PS3, all those can really tout is "HD" graphics and that's really it, does nothing to add anything new to the gaming experience.

[quote name='SL4IN']Don't know what you're playing, but some of the wii games look amazing, but really, when did graphics make the game?

And to me, the Wii is true next gen. It changed the way we play some games, I'm actually getting a new and fresh experience playing video games that I don't get from the 360 or PS3, all those can really tout is "HD" graphics and that's really it, does nothing to add anything new to the gaming experience.[/quote]

I love when people say stuff like that... it sounds like the biggest crock of PR bullshit on the planet. Where's the proof to your statement? ...What's refreshing about bad control, bad graphics, poor selection of game choices, terrible to non-exsistent online play? You'll never have true next-gen gaming experiences like Oblivion, Bioshock, GTA IV, Metal Gear Solid 4, Call of Duty 4, Mass Effect, Uncharted, ect. There is no game on the Wii right now that couldn't be made better with a standard controller on a more powerful system. Even the decent multi-platform games like Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and Skate are the worst most watered down versions. I just wish Nintendo would spend some more time developing new exciting franchsies, and deep involving games. I don't want Wii Fit, I want some damn RPGs, some good online games, and some announcements of new titles for me to get exciting about.

[quote name='decrot']I agree with that statement. it annoys the crap out of the hardcore (nerds) group.[/QUOTE]

My question is what will Nintendo do for an encore? With the DS and Wii, they've proven that great graphics don't put you in the lead, but revolutionary control schemes do.

Just really curious as to what the follow-ups will be...

RD

Lulz at people still being on the "wii is gimmick" bandwagon.

I thought the DS was a big gimmick that would die off quickly because it was competing with the psp? Man look at those psp sales! They're sure crushing the d......... wait, what?

[quote name='Artie Lange']There is no game on the Wii right now that couldn't be made better with a standard controller on a more powerful system. [/QUOTE]

I for one would strongly argue that Wii Sports would somehow be better with a standard controller. Especially bowling.

RD

Have you guys ever played Boom Blox? That game is FUN. The Wii let's me get back into what gaming meant to me as a kid without all the bullshit.

[quote name='coolsteel']The OP asked what the Wii was to each individual person, the Apple Ipod is a huge financial success yet plenty of people can't stand it. Just because something sells well doesn't make it universally loved and respected, that is what this thread is gauging. I mean christ man get over your knee jerk reaction to your beloved system being questioned, don't like the thread then don't comment.[/QUOTE]

Actually this is the same thread done every few weeks by the people that don't like the Wii complaining like little bitches about it. If you don't like it good for you, no one cares. You knew what you were in for when you bought it. If you still bought it anyway you have no right to sit here and complain.

As far as gauging goes, it makes no difference what CAG thinks because even if everyone here hated the Wii this place is an extreme minority. But let's be honest this isn't about gauging, this is about trolling.

[quote name='antlp89']Have you guys ever played Boom Blox? That game is FUN. The Wii let's me get back into what gaming meant to me as a kid without all the bullshit.[/quote]
Sure it's fun, but me being a hardcore (aka nerd) gamer, For a while, all i had was a Wii, and I really wanted to be able to play Call of Duty 4 and Devil May Cry 4, and due to the crap graphics, the Wii will never be able to handle that. So I bought a PS3, and since then, I think ive played my wii......3 times, for MK

[quote name='SL4IN']Don't know what you're playing, but some of the wii games look amazing, but really, when did graphics make the game?

And to me, the Wii is true next gen. It changed the way we play some games, I'm actually getting a new and fresh experience playing video games that I don't get from the 360 or PS3, all those can really tout is "HD" graphics and that's really it, does nothing to add anything new to the gaming experience.[/quote]
You don't think that graphics help make a game better? OK, play Call of Duty 3 on the Ps3/360, then on the Wii, it'll make you cringe.

[quote name='Blitz']Actually this is the same thread done every few weeks by the people that don't like the Wii complaining like little bitches about it. If you don't like it good for you, no one cares. You knew what you were in for when you bought it. If you still bought it anyway you have no right to sit here and complain.

As far as gauging goes, it makes no difference what CAG thinks because even if everyone here hated the Wii this place is an extreme minority. But let's be honest this isn't about gauging, this is about trolling.[/quote]
Since when was making a discussion trolling?

Me trolling would have been me making posts like - OMFG!!!! WII SUCKS!!!

Besides, I never said I "hated" the Wii, so if you don't have anything to add to the discussion, screw off

[quote name='MattJ1991']Sure it's fun, but me being a hardcore (aka nerd) gamer, For a while, all i had was a Wii, and I really wanted to be able to play Call of Duty 4 and Devil May Cry 4, and due to the crap graphics, the Wii will never be able to handle that. So I bought a PS3, and since then, I think ive played my wii......3 times, for MK

You don't think that graphics help make a game better? OK, play Call of Duty 3 on the Ps3/360, then on the Wii, it'll make you cringe.[/quote]

That's exactly my point, graphics don't matter. Shit son, I have more fun on my ds than I do on my "HD" 360.

Graphics don't mean a damn thing, if they did, then Hour of Victory on the 360 would be the greatest game of all time.

[quote name='SL4IN']That's exactly my point, graphics don't matter. Shit son, I have more fun on my ds than I do on my "HD" 360.

Graphics don't mean a damn thing, if they did, then Hour of Victory on the 360 would be the greatest game of all time.[/quote]
OK, cool, to you the Wii is a success in its own right, I personally think the Wii was marketing Genius, but I'm more into all that HD crap right now, i have a lot more fun on PS3 than Wii lately, maybe I'm just a graphics whore >_>

But yeah, I think the gaming community is having fun with the Wii, but is still waiting for that standout game that will amaze people to the controls and whatnot, because me and everyone I personally know who has a Wii, has said that all the games they enjoyed, could easily be done with a controller.

The TS makes a good point about the negative aspects, and despite the success or appeal, those are still valid points. However like pointed out earlier, its nowhere near nintendos biggest failure (virtual boy, failures to keep their snes-cd deal with sony..birth of playstation..which can be seen as good or bad), it is the strongest selling console this gen and that cant be denied. I believe the better question would be, Are Wii owners still happy with the current status of Wii gaming or is your appeal to the system starting to Wan?

i think it's a matter of waiting.

i think the control scheme will get better and better - sure, there's a few fantastic games but just like the DS, it takes time for most developers to figure it out.

I mean the DS at first was like "how do we use the stylus all the time" and then people really figured it out and said "oh wait, i can turn the DS on it's side, I can use the mic, etc. etc."

I see the Wii as a success in every respect that Nintendo intended it to be and more. You can't deem something a failure due to graphical capabilities when they were never set as a goal to begin with.

I love my Wii. I've said this before (and there are others in this thread that have already stated something similar) but I've been playing video games for almost 30 years and this is the first time I've ever been consistently excited about something for such an extended period of time.

Before the Wii, I was gradually losing interest in games in general - I had reached a point in my life where financially I could afford all the last gen systems and games I might want, but what I was quickly learning is that there was very little fun to be had, and new experiences were few and far between. I had not planned on getting a 360, PS3 or Wii as the various launches neared, and then I played Excite Truck on a demo kiosk before the system was actually released. I was sold.

While Nintendo's marketing can be a little pandering and sickeningly endearing with all the "family play" rhetoric, it is not that far from the truth. They're bringing endless new gamers in and giving incredible positive exposure to video games in general (every time any of our relatives visit, all they want to do is play Wii).

And, while I would never let my five-year-old play pretty much anything on the 360 or PS3 (we don't do licensed characters of any kind in our house), my wife and I are actually excited to ease him into gaming with a few things on the Wii. He and I played Wild Earth: African Safari for a bit yesterday and it was fantastic for both of us. Yes, the graphics are low-quality by modern standards, but it successfully creates an illusion, which is all that matters. I've played PS3 games with friends that have wildly realistic graphics, but that's meaningless to me when I'm hyper-aware of the twitchy analog stick in my hand that's making it extremely frustrating to do what I should just be able to do with a simple gesture.

PS - I actually like seeing threads like this and the dead 13-year-old thread that prompt a lot of discussion. Even if you were just baiting people (which you may not have been), I think it's a good experience.

I think the Wii is a revolutionary success. They are bringing gaming into the mainstream, and as a Nintendo fan, I don't feel cast aside or any less catered too. Anything that can bring the wife and I together in gaming bliss is a success to me.

IMO the best games the Wii has to offer are not revolutionary compared to what came before (GC). E.g., Twilight Princess and Resident Evil 4 were released on the GC (and IMO the motion controls did not add much to either.) Games like Super Paper Mario were originally GC games and don’t make much use of motion controls.

I’m not saying the first party Wii games aren’t good (i.e., they aren’t a failure), I’m just saying they aren’t all that revolutionary. As for 3rd party games, I don’t consider point-and-click adventures (Zach & Wikki) or action adventure games (No More Heroes) to be revolutionary.

As for the motion controls, they are fun, but they don’t seem all that revolutionary. Guncon games have been around for a long time. And, yes the Wii controller works better than the eye toy, but I have yet to play a Wii game where the controls amount to more than shaking the controller around mostly randomly.

And here I’m not just talking about shovelware or Wii Sports, I’m talking about action games like No More Heroes. I can forgive Wii bowling for having imprecise controls, and maybe Sonic and Mario at the Olympics, but when I play an action game like NMH, I expect the game to require some degree of precision in fighting moves. Lack of precision = lack of challenge IMO.

As to everyone’s favorite game, Mario Galaxy -- Yes MG is a fun game and it is a great game. But I don’t think it is all that revolutionary. In game design it is really old school. Graphically it is up there with the best Gamecube games but not so much with the best PS3/360 games. The motion controls are used in interesting ways, but I didn’t see any real revolutionary uses of the motion controller in MG. Once again, you mostly just shake the controller imprecisely or you aim it like a guncon.

The only way the Wii is revolutionary is in its marketing success. It aimed for the casuals and the non-gamers and it succeeded in pulling them in. This is a great achievement for Nintendo and gives Nintendo the potential to really revolutionize the gaming industry in general by changing the focus of gaming to the casusals/non-gamers.

That certainly has the potential to affect my gaming experience in the future if it changes the types of games that are produced. But right now, today, I wouldn’t say the Wii has revolutionized my personal gaming experience. I was already a gamer before the Wii came out. It offers some interesting gameplay, but it definitely did not revolutionize my personal gaming experience -- yet.

bread's done
Back