What is the Wii to you? A revolutionary success, or nintendo's biggest failure?

[quote name='bmulligan']You're upset at Nintendo's ego NOW ? Maybe your were absent that day but Nintendo has never had a reputation for being humble. Not when they decided to bury Atari, break with Sony, strong arm retailers, or dictate the licensing for their earlier systems that laid the foundation for the model still used today. They basically resurrected videogaming from ashes and made it an industry and have never apologized for anything.

Your opinion sounds just like all the other gaming elitists that are miffed because Nintendo isn't catering specifically to your needs, (like HD and hardcore games) and don't seem to realize you are now only a small part of the videogaming demographic. There are generations of gamers being introduced to gaming as we speak that are 10 years younger and 10 years older than you, and need to be coddled to join the videogaming ranks of the future. The hardcore gamer simply isn't a big enough market to sustain the industry.[/quote]
Like I said, those were my expectations for the Wii before it came out. Since before then I wasn't thinking it as a system for nothing, but mini-games (let's be honest, I don't think anyone was really prepared for that kinda onslaught of lackluster games). Though apparently that's what I'm getting.

For the Nintendo ego thing, my own personal excuse in that is well...You know, when you're a kid and spend over $300 on an N64 and have no games, you're going to just make the best (AKA be ignorant) and still think it's the best thing ever, even when you have a secret jealousy in not being able to see FMV cut scenes.

Also I don't agree with the "joining" the ranks of being a casual gamer. A part of me believes you can only play crappy mini-games for so long before you want to shoot something (in a video game, not person in the street). Though with that, I still don't know what the fuck counts as a hardcore game or casual game (unless casual is defined by crappy mini-games that make up a game, then touche). Simply in the sense that Super Mario Bros. can be counted as both, but maybe I'm talking out my ass (tendency to do that). Though really what I think I'm trying to say is there's always a new generation of gamers being introduced and good portion of those will always look for a gaming experience beyond that I guess of a "casual" gamer. So it maybe a small niche, but it's one that always be there no matter how the industry involves and will be a loyal customer base (though I'll admit, slowly growing in numbers).

Sorry, I know that makes no sense, but up since 3AM and I'll try writting a better portion of my thoughts that won't dumb other people's brain cells.

Here's my view of the Wii.

The motion controls are rather gimmicky. Many games I've played would've been just fine without them. Seems either the games are built from the ground up with them in mind (and the gameplay is sacrificed a little), or the waggle controls are tacked on last minute onto what would otherwise be a gamecube game. IMO, if the waggle controls don't add anything to the game, they have no business being there.

I also dislike the sheer number of attachments there are for the Wiimote. Sure, the controls themselves may be simple, but how many plastic cases/add-ons for the Wiimote are there? Mario Karts got its wheel, the classic controller, the nunchuck, the blaster, the balance board, among numerous third party ones for stuff like golf, tennis, etc. At least with the 360 and PS3, the controller stays the same and your gaming area doesn't become cluttered with plastic add-ons (unless you get Rock Band and/or Guitar hero, which is also available for the wii).

My biggest concern is how this will affect future generation of systems. I'm praying that Microsoft and Sony don't go overboard with motion controls and overly simplistic games. Sometimes I just wanna use a regular controller.

For me pesonally the Wii is a total disaster and failure, I play my 360 almost every day. The Wii is sitting untouched except for the blue glow every once in a while which beckons me to update. I have Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Fire Emblem, and something else I can't even remember, most of them played for only an hour or so. I rented No More Heroes last week, and I wanted to vomit after playing it for about 5 minutes.

The online store is slow and horrible compared to xbox marketplace, the only redeeming feature is VC imo but thats only as much fun as i could have had 20 years ago.

Except for its handheld branch, which is killing the PSP in every way possible, Nintendo has been going down the shitter, since the SNES each console was worse and worse with crappier and crappier games. Mostly what I realize is that while I have grown up, Nintendo is still an impish child and refuses to grow with me. Which I guess is fine for Japan where impish man children are the norm.

My theory is that the Wii is causing a reboot of the game industry, give it 10 years and you will see the pendulum swing. I'm not an analyst so I can only speak from the perspective of a person who plays games.

I have to give credit to Nintendo for their marketing though, they are raking in cash.

with the wii, nintendo did what has always done. if you weren't buying the wii for nintendo's great 1st party games, you were making a mistake. that's why you buy a nintendo console. sure, there will always be some great 3rd party games to pick up. but the reason to buy any nintendo console is for it's 1st party games.

as for the revolution. the wii will change gaming forever. but maybe not in the way we want it to.

I don't know who tagged this thread, but they have problems....

"erotic cake, fridge, fudge, robot love, success, super fad" :drool:

It is about what the Gamecube was, a nice supplemental system to my main console. The kids seem to like it and I am not going to even try to argue that it is not a success.

Honestly, I raged a bit at all these talks about graphics. I guess all NES games suck because graphics on the 360 are better.

Same as the GameCube..awesome for a handful of games and experiences but ultimately gets less playing time than it's competitors, because it lacks games and online functionality.

Just because the casual audience is eating it up does nothing to change that for me, a hardcore gamer.

Wii is the most overrated system ever. I have the Wii and 360...lets just say the Wii collects dust. When I do turn on the Wii I end up playing games from the SNES. For every 50 games released on the Wii there is maybe one good one...that is saying something. The Wii was fun at first but it is a gimmick.

My problem with the Wii isn't the system itself, it's the fact that for every Smash Bros, Trauma Center or Mario Galaxy, there's 10 Jengas, Ninjabread Mans and KidZ SportZ whatever. In other words, it's a shovelware dump (although every system that becomes popular like this has had that problem)

[quote name='ZForce']My problem with the Wii isn't the system itself, it's the fact that for every Smash Bros, Trauma Center or Mario Galaxy, there's 10 Jengas, Ninjabread Mans and KidZ SportZ whatever. In other words, it's a shovelware dump (although every system that becomes popular like this has had that problem)[/QUOTE]
So your problem is with shovelware on any console, no? Move along...

wiiprintsmoney_vjenc-00.gif

[quote name='TheEyecon']
wiiprintsmoney_vjenc-00.gif
[/quote]
Good point man, but if you read my post, im looking for success OTHER than money, but still hella funny

Well, I see what your saying Matt but companies really don't make products to be awesome. They do it to make money.

The word fell in love with the iPod for it's really easy interface and sleek design. Nintendo saw what was going on, and this is why the DS and the Wii are what they are today. It's not comparing the DS or Wii to an iPod or say they COPIED off the iPod, of course not. However, all they did was look into products that would have that same feeling it gave consumers what the iPod gave them.

Thus, they are making $$$$, which in their opinion = success!

Its got a couple of good games, but I haven't bought anything for it in a while (SSBB).

To me, its not really a failure, because the games that it does have do things rather well, but its also not a success.

Nintendo themselves seem to scared to develop a completely motion controlled control scheme, and when they half and half it, (move and do stuff with control stick and button, add gimmick feature for wiimote, SMG perfect example, Zelda perfect example, Okami perfect example, SSBB hell didn't even use the motion stuff) its like.. whats the point? You could get the same experience on any other console.

For it to be a revolutionary success, Nintendo has to find a way to make a quality game controlled mainly by this motion technology that is supposedly so advanced yaddayadda.

Lost Winds is about the closest thing to making the console a success to me.

Needs moar like lost winds.

I've enjoyed three Wii games: No More Heroes, Smash Bros Brawl, and Mario Galaxy. And to be super-duper honest, I would have enjoyed all of those games more (or, in Brawl's case, the same) if they were on a regular console with regular control.

Motion control is an option, you're not supposed to have completely motion controlled games. Thats a horrible idea. Its a supplement, much like the DS touch screen or microphone is. You use it where you need it if you want, but you dont force it.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Motion control is an option, you're not supposed to have completely motion controlled games. Thats a horrible idea. Its a supplement, much like the DS touch screen or microphone is. You use it where you need it if you want, but you dont force it.[/QUOTE]
Kirby Canvas Curse is one of the best games on the DS imo, and thats because it makes complete use of the new technology.

Phantom Hourglass is like that as well.

I want the canvas curse and phantom hourglass of the Wii.

You've already got the DS for that, and I guess Lost Winds for now. Though Nintendo has made a distinct shift recently in their resource allocation toward Wii and away from DS.

The stylus has an edge on the Wiimote in that it can be more precise because the motion is limited to a single surface. 1:1 Wiimote movement to control a character in full like phantom hourglass is going to be impractical. So the lost winds/kirby canvas style games is all you could really do. You tap the screen in canvas curse. Having that extra input can be critical.

Even the most rudimentary games are going to want to have a click of some sort. Total motion control should and will be limited to only a very small number of games, probably mostly downloadable.

Nintendo is certainly more creative than I am, so we'll see.

I might own another one temporarily for Mega Man 9, but the Wii has nothing for me now or in the future, having already played SMG, MP3, SSBB, Zelda, etc.

Maybe the new Platinum Games title will be good.

I think I should add the Wiiware reviving older game series, like Megaman 9 in 8-bit. Maybe in the future we'll get another 8 or 16 bit Super Mario game, or another Sonic, or Max Kidd, the possibilities are endless :D

[quote name='blitz6speed']What hogwash. The hardcore was enough to get the industry to where it was today,[/quote]
Now THAT's hogwash. Every single successful video-game console in the history of gaming only got successful by drawing in the "casuals", the people who don't obsess over technology but just wanted to have fun. The vast, vast majority of PS2s were sold when the price dropped under $300 (a mass-market price), and the most popular titles were casual-oriented stuff like Madden and GTA 3. "Hardcore" PS2 titles either bombed outright (Okami) or were bought only by three to five perecent of the marketplace (like the Metal Gear Solid series).

[quote name='blitz6speed']but now that the wii is selling to senior citizens and people who want to play wii sports and nothing else, the industry is doomed without the Wii?[/quote]
Have you looked at the hardware sales numbers lately? The only reason the industry is reporting record-breaking sales right now is because of Nintendo systems -- the XBox 360 and PS3 combined are trending far worse than the PS2/XBox/Gamecube did. Part of the reason the Wii is still sold out nearly two years after its launch is because it's (a) not geared exclusively towards 16-26 males and (b) doesn't cost $400+ to buy.

(And just think about that for a moment -- how many other video game systems ever made have been sold out two years after launch? Answer: NONE.)

The simple fact is that if it wasn't for the Wii, right now we'd be seeing people hanging on to their PS2s while analysts wondered why the XBox 360 and PS3 continued to bomb worldwide (the Japanese gaming industry was dropping for four years straight before the introduction of the Nintendo DS). No industry has ever survived by selling solely to the "hardcore," and the Wii has brought a much-needed influx of new gamers into this hobby.

"Hardcore" gamers disgust me because of their vastly overinflated sense of self-importance. At least they keep me amused with their shrieks of incredulous rage every month that the Wii continues to curbstomp the overpriced HD twins into irrelevance. :cool:

--R.J.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']
Even the most rudimentary games are going to want to have a click of some sort. Total motion control should and will be limited to only a very small number of games, probably mostly downloadable.[/quote]
I think I need to change my resolution. I read the word "click" as "dick". Both statements are possibly true.

Your comments and the others like them are what prompted me to try to find out how many Wii games people had actually played. While I admit I am totally taken with motion control (when used well), I have many games in my collection that either don't use motion control at all (or have an alternative control option), or use it minimally for specific purposes. A lot of it comes down to my basic hatred of analog sticks - I loved Scarface on the Wii (only the gun aiming was motion controlled) but couldn't imagine playing it on another console.

Also, rjung is dead-on about the Madden thing.

Havent read the thread, barely read the OP. But ignoring the sales (because you know, "PRINTING MONEY")

The Wii is the first system I have ever seen my girlfriends mother play. From that perspective alone, they have single handedly grown the market.

[quote name='foltzie']Havent read the thread, barely read the OP. But ignoring the sales (because you know, "PRINTING MONEY")

The Wii is the first system I have ever seen my girlfriends mother play. From that perspective alone, they have single handedly grown the market.[/quote]
thats very nice

Holy Bump Batman!

I thought I would bring out this thread from the depths of CAG, and see what people felt 1 year later :p

[quote name='rjung']Now THAT's hogwash. Every single successful video-game console in the history of gaming only got successful by drawing in the "casuals", the people who don't obsess over technology but just wanted to have fun. The vast, vast majority of PS2s were sold when the price dropped under $300 (a mass-market price), and the most popular titles were casual-oriented stuff like Madden and GTA 3. "Hardcore" PS2 titles either bombed outright (Okami) or were bought only by three to five perecent of the marketplace (like the Metal Gear Solid series).

Have you looked at the hardware sales numbers lately? The only reason the industry is reporting record-breaking sales right now is because of Nintendo systems -- the XBox 360 and PS3 combined are trending far worse than the PS2/XBox/Gamecube did. Part of the reason the Wii is still sold out nearly two years after its launch is because it's (a) not geared exclusively towards 16-26 males and (b) doesn't cost $400+ to buy.

(And just think about that for a moment -- how many other video game systems ever made have been sold out two years after launch? Answer: NONE.)

The simple fact is that if it wasn't for the Wii, right now we'd be seeing people hanging on to their PS2s while analysts wondered why the XBox 360 and PS3 continued to bomb worldwide (the Japanese gaming industry was dropping for four years straight before the introduction of the Nintendo DS). No industry has ever survived by selling solely to the "hardcore," and the Wii has brought a much-needed influx of new gamers into this hobby.

"Hardcore" gamers disgust me because of their vastly overinflated sense of self-importance. At least they keep me amused with their shrieks of incredulous rage every month that the Wii continues to curbstomp the overpriced HD twins into irrelevance. :cool:

--R.J.[/QUOTE]

i'm glad someone knows what they're talking about.

there is a lot of shovelware on wii because the developers are making demographic games. i don't know why they'd do that?

remember the code name for the wii, which was revolution. it is truly deserving of that name, nintendo revolution.

I use the Wii as a rail-shooter, other then brain academy and Wii sports on occasion, I save the more serious gaming for systems that can render next-gen graphics.

[quote name='seen']I use the Wii as a rail-shooter, other then brain academy and Wii sports on occasion, I save the more serious gaming for systems that can render next-gen graphics.[/QUOTE]

Only thing I play on wii is rail-shooters, and the mario games basically. I haven't played it in forever. Only reason I'm keeping it is for the mario games, and a few other games.

The Wii remains my most fun-inducing console since the SNES and Genesis. I'm currently finding The Conduit to be really distracting -- instead of going to bed early or getting some late-night work done, I keep going online for multiplayer mayhem...

--R.J.

i agree with jman619 and seen, i love playing rail shooters on the Wii.

I am going to assume that rjung is 360 and PS3less, since if he has those, he could never play through the Conduit

I have a PS3 but I'm addicted to the Conduit's online after I got used to the visuals and set up my controls how I want them. I prefer using the IR for FPS since I'm much better with it (I'm not bad with dual analog just a great amount better with the IR aiming).

[quote name='Mad D']I have a PS3 but I'm addicted to the Conduit's online after I got used to the visuals and set up my controls how I want them. I prefer using the IR for FPS since I'm much better with it (I'm not bad with dual analog just a great amount better with the IR aiming).[/QUOTE]

Is it really that good? Wombat was very lukewarm about it....

Maybe I'll have to try it

The Wii, to me, is an awesomely successful marketed gizmo, but is pretty lame when it comes to actual gaming.

The motion controller implementation in games falls into "gimmick" more often than not, especially in first party titles, surprisingly. Punch Out, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, all capable of using motion controls in some capacity, but are much easier to play using conventional controllers. Then there's titles like Mario Galaxy that use motion controls to do one thing, but that thing could've easily been mapped onto a button and been a lot simpler. IMO, the pointer turned out to be a much more usable feature, even if it has its problems.

[quote name='MattJ1991']Is it really that good? Wombat was very lukewarm about it....

Maybe I'll have to try it[/QUOTE]

We'll for me it came down to my controller preference. It took me more than a few sessions to get the controls to how I wanted them and when I thought I had them right I changed them and again and they felt much more comfortable. The campaign also didn't pick up my interest until half way in, at least for me. The game over a few play sessions grew on me. FPS games are so numerous that they just come off as flavor of the months for me, when the next anticipated one comes out with an online mode I usually move on and become addicted to that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MattJ1991']Is it really that good? Wombat was very lukewarm about it....

Maybe I'll have to try it[/QUOTE]

We'll for me it came down to my controller preference ( I played a lot of Medal of Honor Heroes 2 a couple years ago and really liked it). It took me more than a few sessions to get the controls to how I wanted them and when I thought I had them right I changed them and again and they felt much more comfortable. The campaign also didn't pick up my interest until half way in, at least for me. The game over a few play sessions grew on me. FPS games are so numerous that they just come off as flavor of the months for me, when the next anticipated one comes out with an online mode I usually move on and become addicted to that one.

It was mentioned that "hardcore" and "gamer" don't go together, and that the term "nerd" may be used instead. Well, "casual gamer" is a conflicting term too, so I would make the modest proposal that we just call them boobs. That way we don't have any dash-gamers, who like dash-Americans impossibly dip their identity in two unlike things.

I'm a hardcore gamer and I love mine. The 360 collects dust while the Wii gets all the lovin'.

Reading the Opening Post:

Whoever thinks that the Wii has PS2-level graphical capabilities has an extremely terrible memory of what PS2 games look like.

People seem to think that if it can't produce high definition resolutions it's automatically lumped in with the PS2. WTF, indeed.

[quote name='maximumzero']I'm a hardcore gamer and I love mine. The 360 collects dust while the Wii gets all the lovin'.

Reading the Opening Post:

Whoever thinks that the Wii has PS2-level graphical capabilities has an extremely terrible memory of what PS2 games look like.

People seem to think that if it can't produce high definition resolutions it's automatically lumped in with the PS2. WTF, indeed.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry maximumzero, but 99% of Wii games have PS2 like graphics, the only games that have wowed me are Galaxy and Metroid.

[quote name='MattJ1991']I'm sorry maximumzero, but 99% of Wii games have PS2 like graphics, the only games that have wowed me are Galaxy and Metroid.[/QUOTE]

Glancing over my library, Twilight Princess, Mario Kart Wii, and Super Smash Bros Brawl are definitely better than PS2 graphics.

But we're discussing this like graphics make games good or something.

I haven't read the whole thread obviously (especially given its age), but here's my two cents:

The Wii is great as a second or third console (third in my case), but it lacks the firepower in my view to stand on its own. There's a reason I own dozens of 360 and PS3 games and about 5 Wii games (and it's not just that I got it last). There just aren't enough games on the system which are truly worth it to justify owning just the Wii, at least for someone who plays as many games as I do. Given that all of Nintendo's past systems have easily stood on their own, I view it as a failure, but only a minor one.

I'm a bit more selective when buying games for my Wii, and I tend to buy games that I think best plays on the strengths of the console. As such, I've been playing a lot of "light gun" (though not technically) games like the House of the Deads and Ghost Squad, and I find them to be very enjoyable. I just bought Wii Sport Resort and I found it to be a good time waster and a "break game" between sessions of Killzone 2 or CoD4 on the 360.

As for other games, I'm a big fan of some of their 3rd party exclusives like No More Heroes, RE4 Wii port, and Guilty Gears. I bought a game or two on WiiWare, and from what I see on the online catalogue looks pretty promising and enjoyable.

If success is measured by my "fun factor", then it's a success in my book. Yeah, it doesn't get the most amount of loving, and the only time the Wii gets to be on for more than an hour or two is when friends are over, but I'm not going to say I wasted money on it (or rather my Fiance, since she bought it).

I'll mirror what bvharris said, and say that it makes a great 2nd or 3rd console, but personally I don't think it can really stand on it's own outside of the casual gaming crowd, though I've been corrected on this point by the Fiance.

I have both a Xbox 360 and a Wii...and frankly my Wii still gets the most of my game time. The idea that the Wii "doesen hasz gaems" are coming primarily from kids and adults who can't grow the fuck up. It's a game system, seriously.

Everyone is going to have their preference. I like the Wii better because I like the games better, that doesn't make my 360 any less so. It just means I play it less.

I dunno, I guess I find the arguments/debates less than relevant. The Wii made a ton of money for a number of companies, Nintendo especially. In that perspective, that's the only real way to measure success, everything else is relative.

[quote name='bvharris']I haven't read the whole thread obviously (especially given its age), but here's my two cents:

The Wii is great as a second or third console (third in my case), but it lacks the firepower in my view to stand on its own. There's a reason I own dozens of 360 and PS3 games and about 5 Wii games (and it's not just that I got it last). There just aren't enough games on the system which are truly worth it to justify owning just the Wii, at least for someone who plays as many games as I do. Given that all of Nintendo's past systems have easily stood on their own, I view it as a failure, but only a minor one.[/QUOTE]

What are those 5 games? I can name atleast 30 worth owning.

Naming a bunch of Wii games worth owning ain't hard. Naming a bunch of Wii games worth spending your money on as opposed to whatever else you have your eye on - some 360 games, some PS3 games, or, in my case, food - is a bit harder. I'd love to have a lot more Wii games than I do, but I just can't afford it.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']What are those 5 games? I can name atleast 30 worth owning.[/QUOTE]

That's not my point. I'm sure there are 30 Wii games worth owning, in a vacuum, but my gaming budget is spread across 5+ consoles. There are very few cross-console games which I would prefer to get on the Wii (Tiger Woods 10 being the only exception.)

For the record (and since you asked), the 5 games are:
SMG
Zelda
Madworld
No More Heroes
Tiger Woods 10
(I'm not counting Wii Play, since it's still in the shrink wrap and always will be)

There are plenty more past and future games I'll want on the system, but it's yet to reach the point where I'm going to buy a Wii game over a PS3 or 360 game.

[quote name='bvharris']That's not my point. I'm sure there are 30 Wii games worth owning, in a vacuum, but my gaming budget is spread across 5+ consoles. There are very few cross-console games which I would prefer to get on the Wii (Tiger Woods 10 being the only exception.)

For the record (and since you asked), the 5 games are:
SMG
Zelda
Madworld
No More Heroes
Tiger Woods 10
(I'm not counting Wii Play, since it's still in the shrink wrap and always will be)

There are plenty more past and future games I'll want on the system, but it's yet to reach the point where I'm going to buy a Wii game over a PS3 or 360 game.[/QUOTE]

desktowerxs6.jpg

I own way, way, more Wii games than 360 games. This picture is outdated, actually. Now the entire top shelf is Wii games and half of the second shelf is Wii games as well for a total of about 25.

Meanwhile I have about 7 360 games, which is basically everything that you see in this picture here in addition to Prince of Persia, Ghostbusters & Bionic Commando.

In my opinion the Wii just has more games that are fun. Games I enjoy more.When I'm in a store, be it Wal-Mart, Gamestop, or Best Buy, looking at the 360 shelf all I manage to see are shooters, fighting games, and the occasional RPG. I love variety with my games.

The Wii simply offers games that the 360 & PS3 don't have and it alot of cases can't replicate. I was switching between de Blob & Wario Land: Shake it last night and both of those games are just fantastic and frankly there's nothing like them on the other two consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:
the wii is 'stupid' fun, honestly its for people who arent into the bells and whistles of gaming and just want to have fun.
I enjoy it to a point but i tend to grab my other consoles before the wii more often then not. But if people are over to hang out i would grab the wii over the others.

bread's done
Back