What was the last concert/show you went to?

[quote name='Access_Denied']I should have known. :lol: Seriously, I look through this thread and I only recognize 1 out of every 100 bands you guys name. (Notice I just said recognize, not know or like.) I think I'm in the wrong generation. I should have been born in the early 60's. :cry:[/QUOTE]

(Big Lebowski quote, I don't actually know anything by them)

[quote name='Access_Denied']:lol: Seriously, I look through this thread and I only recognize 1 out of every 100 bands you guys name. (Notice I just said recognize, not know or like.)[/QUOTE]

Same here.. I'm trying to get out more but I just can't find the time/source for diversifying my musical interests no matter how much I try. I'll drag my happy ass to about 12-18 concerts a year and if the opening bands are good, I'll be hooked, i.e. Went to Gigantour last year and loved Volbeat and Motorhead.

[quote name='tcrash247'](Big Lebowski quote, I don't actually know anything by them)[/QUOTE]

After years of putting it off, I finally went and watched the movie, just because of this. :)

[quote name='QiG']Same here.. I'm trying to get out more but I just can't find the time/source for diversifying my musical interests no matter how much I try. I'll drag my happy ass to about 12-18 concerts a year and if the opening bands are good, I'll be hooked, i.e. Went to Gigantour last year and loved Volbeat and Motorhead.[/QUOTE]

I'm still in college, so money and time are obviously tight. However, when I graduate, I'm committed to seeing at least one musical act a month. Whether it's a band I like or some random jam band at a bar. I just want to try to broaden up. There's a lot of weird newer music I like, it just seems so hard to find good stuff. (Versus the stuff from the 60's and 70's, where the only stuff still around is the good stuff.)

Also, Motorhead would be awesome. They're up there on my bands to see for sure, along with Iron Maiden.

[quote name='mykevermin']Orange Golbin is playing North Star Bar in about 2 hours, tcrash, if that's your thing. I have things to do already, sadly.[/QUOTE]

Damn, of course I check this thread now. Thanks for the heads up anyway, I do like them.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Also, Motorhead would be awesome. They're up there on my bands to see for sure, along with Iron Maiden.[/QUOTE]

They are both great live, I definitely recommend seeing them.

[quote name='Access_Denied']After years of putting it off, I finally went and watched the movie, just because of this. :)

I'm still in college, so money and time are obviously tight. However, when I graduate, I'm committed to seeing at least one musical act a month. Whether it's a band I like or some random jam band at a bar. I just want to try to broaden up. There's a lot of weird newer music I like, it just seems so hard to find good stuff. (Versus the stuff from the 60's and 70's, where the only stuff still around is the good stuff.)

Also, Motorhead would be awesome. They're up there on my bands to see for sure, along with Iron Maiden.[/QUOTE]

That is the best method. I can't recall the amount of shows I've seen off hand (though I have a file that consists of the list of bands and times with dates).

Motorhead and Iron Maiden put on awesome shows! Another band to check out is CLUTCH. They are tough to describe but do some research if you have never heard of them.

Iron Maiden announced last week they are doing 7 dates in the states this summer.
Megadeth is opening for them.

I agree they put on a great show.

Just nabbed tickets to see Soundgarden on May 8. Had sold out fast, but the venue posted on Facebook that some tickets opened up this morning.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Just nabbed tickets to see Soundgarden on May 8. Had sold out fast, but the venue posted on Facebook that some tickets opened up this morning.[/QUOTE]

Did you see them on the reunion tour before their new album came out? Killer show, unfortunately they play a majority of the new album now, which sucks imo.

[quote name='XzMrHitDatHoezX']I just got back from seeing Crystal Castles at house of blues in Dallas pretty Damn good show I must say and I ended the night with some wings from hooters.[/QUOTE]
Did you touch Alice? Did she spit Jack Daniels at you? Any weird things happen in the audience?

[quote name='tcrash247']Did you see them on the reunion tour before their new album came out? Killer show, unfortunately they play a majority of the new album now, which sucks imo.[/QUOTE]

Nope, will be first time seeing them unfortunately.

And I agree the new album isn't super great--I like it, but not up to snuff with old stuff.

They're doing a two-night stand in Atlanta (I'm going night 2) so I'm hoping they'll mix it up a bit more and not play the same set both nights which will hopefully mean a better mix of new and old (since they have two shows to play all the new stuff).

Saw Opeth with Katatonia opening for them last night.

Katatonia was decent. The problem was Katatonia didn't sound that good. I mean the whole sound they brought was kinda muddy and just sounded pretty bad. They played well though.

Opeth fucking killed it. Played a range of songs from a lot of their albums from their older stuff to their latest record. Shortest song they played was like 5 minutes and well they encored with Blackwater Park which is 12 mins. Light show was fucking insane too, because everything was tuned perfectly with the music.

Best part is they had $20 shirts and $15 signed albums there.

Saw Smashing Pumpkins last Thursday. My first time seeing "them." Saw Zwan years ago, but Billy Corgan didn't play any Pumpkins songs than. It was a great show and I had purchased the most recent album a few months ago in preparation for the concert. The new and old songs sounded great live.

Soundgarden was awesome last night. Solid setlist of new and old.

Spoonman
Jesus Christ Pose
By Crooked Steps
Room a Thousand Years Wide
Taree
Superunknown
Fresh Tendrils
The Day I Tried to Live
Been Away Too Long
My Wave
Worse Dreams
Mailman
Loud Love
Fell on Black Days
Blow Up the Outside World
Ugly Truth
Hunted Down
Ty Cobb
4th of July

Encore:
Non-State Actor
Eyelid's Mouth
Outshined
Beyond the Wheel

Was a two-night stop in Atlanta, and kind of wish I went went both nights as they played a great set the night before too--repeated a lot, but a good bit of songs unique to each night.

Night 1 set: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/soundgarden/2013/tabernacle-atlanta-ga-6bd87e92.html

Damn, two great sets. Unfortunately I'd say you missed the better set. Ty Cobb is pretty awesome though and a definite standout of that set imo.

[quote name='japatten']I'm probably going to see Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Device, Cheap Trick, and Buckcherry in Camden. Can't wait.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm on the fence about this one. I like Soundgarden and AiC but have seen them both at smaller venues and I hate the rest of the bands. I'm not sure if I want to spend the money on shortened sets at a big venue. The smaller intimate places are 1000xs better, and cheaper.

EDIT - Nevermind, $62 for lawn, fuck off.

[quote name='tcrash247']Yeah, I'm on the fence about this one. I like Soundgarden and AiC but have seen them both at smaller venues and I hate the rest of the bands. I'm not sure if I want to spend the money on shortened sets at a big venue. The smaller intimate places are 1000xs better, and cheaper.

EDIT - Nevermind, $62 for lawn, fuck off.[/QUOTE]

We got pit tickets for $75 through Stubhub!

[quote name='tcrash247']Damn, two great sets. Unfortunately I'd say you missed the better set. Ty Cobb is pretty awesome though and a definite standout of that set imo.[/QUOTE]

Both sets were awesome. I'd lean a tad toward the one I got though on the strength of 4th of July, The Day I Tried to Live and Superunknown.

The more stuff off the Superunknown album the better for me, as that's one of my all time favorite albums and I don't think any of there other releases come close to that one.

I'd have liked to have heard Burden in my Hand, Pretty Noose and Rusty Cage though--but not more than those three I listed above. Black Hole Sun would have been nice too--but I caught that a couple of times at Audioslave shows so not a biggie.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Both sets were awesome. I'd lean a tad toward the one I got though on the strength of 4th of July, The Day I Tried to Live and Superunknown.

The more stuff off the Superunknown album the better for me, as that's one of my all time favorite albums and I don't think any of there other releases come close to that one.

I'd have liked to have heard Burden in my Hand, Pretty Noose and Rusty Cage though--but not more than those three I listed above. Black Hole Sun would have been nice too--but I caught that a couple of times at Audioslave shows so not a biggie.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok, Superunknown is great but I favor the older stuff, Badmotorfinger is my favorite album by them. I wish they didn't play Black Hole Sun at my show, I'm really sick of that song. Too bad you didn't see my show, this was the set, 10 Superunknown songs http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/sound...at-penns-landing-philadelphia-pa-bd34956.html

I saw Mindless Self Indulgence on 5 May in San Diego. Third time I've gotten to see them and they remain absolutely out of control.

Getting ready for Rock on the Range this coming weekend in Columbus. Anyone else going? I anticipate Clutch and The Sword will be sleeper bands that are going to blow me away (been listening to them since I saw the lineup/set times posted and figured out my schedule). Most of the bands were killer in the 90s (AiC, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Korn, Sevendust, etc) and I've never seen them so I'm pretty hyped.

Busy weekend. Saturday was:

House Of Low Culture
Boris performing "All The Classics"

Sunday was the Decibel Festival show:

Great Falls
Cretin
Immolation
Napalm Death

I then bailed early before Cannibal Corpse went on because I don't give a shit about them to run over to a different venue to see:

Drcarlsonalbion (Dylan Carlson of Earth doing solo drone)
Boris performing "Flood"

Oh my fuck was that one of my best decisions ever. Flood was on a different level from damn near everything I've ever seen in my life.

Just saw Watsky and Dumbfoundead on the Cardboard Castles tour a couple weeks ago. honeyhoney was awesome live, saw the last year, they shredded the shit out of some violins.

[quote name='QiG']Getting ready for Rock on the Range this coming weekend in Columbus. Anyone else going? I anticipate Clutch and The Sword will be sleeper bands that are going to blow me away (been listening to them since I saw the lineup/set times posted and figured out my schedule). Most of the bands were killer in the 90s (AiC, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Korn, Sevendust, etc) and I've never seen them so I'm pretty hyped.[/QUOTE]

Clutch kills it live. Unfortunately, they will only get like 35-40 min of playing time. The Sword definitely puts on a good show also the times I've seen them.

So, how was Rock on the Range?

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Deathraid
Benediction
BOLT THROWER

Holy fuck, there's a life goal complete.[/QUOTE]

BOLT fuckING THROWER!!!! Man, that's awesome!

My brother got the "cheap" $85 Rolling Stones tickets. Yeah, throughout my life I've acknowledged that I think they are between "um, ok" to slamming them, but we had seats on the side of the stage (200's United Center) with huge PA speakers aimed right at us. So, the show was fantastic. I feel bad for the people who paid $400-600 who sat around where we did. That isn't right. But anyway. On Saturday, I went to Bluesfest with my brother for a spell, and it was cool. People should check out Chicago's free festivals. Lots of fun to be had. We then went to Reggie's to check out Black Flag (Greg Ginn, Ron Reyes, and two other guys). The show started with Ginn's band "Good For You", which was good, and then basically swapped singers to become Black Flag. I have waited decades to see Mr. Ginn jam the songs of the Black Flag, and I wasn't disappointed. They played new songs, which were good, and I got my picture with him after the show (he was behind me in the crowd....I love punks). Anyway, my picture with him is ridiculous, but I love it. It was a nice 2-fer week, or 3-fer if you count a partial Bluesfest. Also, before the Blues / Black Flag, my nephew / Godson threw up all over my shirt. Rock and Roll!

Went to a grind show at a venue I've never been to before and saw Freak Vibe and Mindless.  Ditched before Wilt played since I really only cared about Mindless anyways.  Ripped.

Clutch kills it live. Unfortunately, they will only get like 35-40 min of playing time. The Sword definitely puts on a good show also the times I've seen them.

So, how was Rock on the Range?
Rock on the range is a pretty solid festival.. but not without its faults. The pros are that the side stage bands and main stage are never overlapping, the ticket prices are rising but still reasonable, there are beverage vendors walking all over the damn place so you never have to lose your spot if you're in the zone and they permanently expanded the venue to accommodate bigger crowds on the east side stage this year.

On the flip side, the bass overpowered the rest of the band when Clutch was on (idk who signs off on soundchecks; the band or the venue?) and some of the headliners were better on paper than in person. For example, Stone Sour played before Smashing Pumpkins on Saturday night. Stone sour went over huge with the audience and was a great time. Smashing pumpkins really fell flat and had us leaving the show early. Sometimes this is the way it goes with live events though and the business end of things takes over.. the bigger names aren't always better performers than the openers. Overall I'm happy with the festival and our group had a good time and see no reason not to go next year (just a 2 hour drive south for us).

Have some local events coming up: Mushroomhead, THC, Phil Anselmo's solo act and traveling to Chicago for Riot Fest. Since I drag my gf to all these rock/metal shows I compromised and will be taking her to Blake Shelton and Maroon 5 in August which should both be easy on the ears as well.

I just got back from seeing David Byrne and St. Vincent. It was amazing. 

Also, if anyone else is going to one of their concerts, PM me. I have a favor to ask.

Nothing lately, but have some fall shows bought that I can't wait for.

Midtown Music Festival in Atlanta in September--great line up and in a park a block from my condo. :D

Friday's lineup will feature Cake, Drivin N' Cryin, Jane's Addiction, Journey, North Mississippi Allstars, Phoenix, The Mowgli's and 2 Chainz.
Saturday's lineup will feature Arctic Monkeys, Capital Cities, Imagine Dragons, Kendrick Lamar, Mona, Queens of the Stone Age, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Reignwolf, Tegan & Sara, The Black Lips, The Neighbourhood, The Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs, Weezer, and ZZ Ward.

And just got Ten Club tickets to see Pearl Jam in Charlotte in October (wish they were playing ATL--but they did play Midtown Music last year so at least they did make a stop recently).

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back