When did secondary market prices for NES get so out of hand?

You could really make out on the NES stuff, it was maybe 2002 or something at Gamestop or EB games, they had games for like $1-3, hardly anything was over $10 a cart except for select rare games. Not to mention you could wait for a B2G1 sale and really clean up on those. If the cart didn't work you could take it back too.

Has anyone else noticed that the PS2 market for RPG's has totally tanked, I mean the games I thought were supposed to go up in value over their $50 retail price have just tanked. Now is the time to get your PS2/XBox/Gamecube stuff as prices are low for the majority of titles. Most RPG's are only going for $20 tops, I just picked up Star Ocean PS2 for like $7 shipped, yeah there are a few rares but overall you would be better off getting them now for $20 each rather than paying $50 each back when they first came out since the values tanked. Glad I never invested hoping for the games to go up in value.

[quote name='SaraAB']You could really make out on the NES stuff, it was maybe 2002 or something at Gamestop or EB games, they had games for like $1-3, hardly anything was over $10 a cart except for select rare games. Not to mention you could wait for a B2G1 sale and really clean up on those. If the cart didn't work you could take it back too.

Has anyone else noticed that the PS2 market for RPG's has totally tanked, I mean the games I thought were supposed to go up in value over their $50 retail price have just tanked. Now is the time to get your PS2/XBox/Gamecube stuff as prices are low for the majority of titles. Most RPG's are only going for $20 tops, I just picked up Star Ocean PS2 for like $7 shipped, yeah there are a few rares but overall you would be better off getting them now for $20 each rather than paying $50 each back when they first came out since the values tanked. Glad I never invested hoping for the games to go up in value.[/QUOTE]

It could be JRPG saturation going on; even Atlus found success with games like Persona 3 and 4--which gets me thinking they aren't exactly producing everything in limited quantities anymore.

'Til the End of Time is a good game, though maybe it's like Final Fantasy 8 & 9 on ps1 where they made a zillion GH copies.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']It could be JRPG saturation going on; even Atlus found success with games like Persona 3 and 4--which gets me thinking they aren't exactly producing everything in limited quantities anymore.

'Til the End of Time is a good game, though maybe it's like Final Fantasy 8 & 9 on ps1 where they made a zillion GH copies.[/QUOTE]

I don't think any company is producing truly limited quantities anymore, except in very rare circumstances, like the Skyward Sword + remote bundle. Most collector's editions get massive price drops. These days a company can reprint something at any time if they see secondary market values going through the roof, though a bit harder to do if they have special items included. Even some PS1 games were reprinted long after the system was dead at one point. Look at DQV and Radiant Historia.

Amazon is still selling certain PS2 RPG's like Till the end of time and Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria are going for like 11.99 or so directly from them. There are also deals to be found in the Amazon warehouse for similar games.

Mega Man X? Not usually dirt cheap but one of the lower priced snes gems.

Zelda A link to the past? Another quality game, but also usually not expensive...there was a snes reprint after all

Super Mario World? An A+ bundle game although usually buyers go after All Stars and Super Mario World together. So usually the cheapest of snes quality titles.

Current Price for all 3 on ebay?

54 Shipped :) with 3 hours to go!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNES-NINTEN...Games_Games&hash=item1e6d4d839c#ht_736wt_1139

[quote name='SaraAB']I don't think any company is producing truly limited quantities anymore, except in very rare circumstances, like the Skyward Sword + remote bundle. Most collector's editions get massive price drops. These days a company can reprint something at any time if they see secondary market values going through the roof, though a bit harder to do if they have special items included. Even some PS1 games were reprinted long after the system was dead at one point. Look at DQV and Radiant Historia.

Amazon is still selling certain PS2 RPG's like Till the end of time and Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria are going for like 11.99 or so directly from them. There are also deals to be found in the Amazon warehouse for similar games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I really didn't expect Silmeria to tank like it did; fortunately I flipped the sealed copy I had when the getting was good and kept the open copy I got from a Gamestop deal. I do think there's rarities for PS2 (.hack quarantine is up to $75 now?) but for some others the supply will have to dry up for the true values to emerge. It's really too soon to tell.

Just realized that Till the end of time has a GH version so that might explain some of it, as there were likely many copies produced, and Silmeria might have similar since its still being sold on amazon pretty cheaply. Yes there are rarities but not as many as I expected there to be. But still not easy to reclaim your money for some if you paid $50 for each back in the day. Some of the PS1 RPG's are pretty high in value too like Dragon Quest and the Tales series.

another ps2 game that I'm still confident in not just because I paid almost full price for it is the bestbuy Xenosaga III. It had one of those special covers that move when you turn in. A lot of collectors don't know about it, so maybe in a few more years it's discovery will pop to the collector mainstream. You are right though Sara, we should start completing our ps2 collection while things are cheap.

[quote name='Theenternal']another ps2 game that I'm still confident in not just because I paid almost full price for it is the bestbuy Xenosaga III. It had one of those special covers that move when you turn in. A lot of collectors don't know about it, so maybe in a few more years it's discovery will pop to the collector mainstream. You are right though Sara, we should start completing our ps2 collection while things are cheap.[/QUOTE]

I got my first PS2 like 1 year and a half ago so I have a ton of catching up to do. Its also good bidding on ebay in the summer time, as its the off season for holiday buyers, as you will want to get your bidding in now before the Christmas season starts. Yes I know its a long ways away but BF creeps up fast! I am pretty sure Xenosaga III is like $20 at Gamestop right now, but if you have a special or rare cover you may be in luck if some collector wants to pay big bucks for it.

I can relate to this topic.

Maybe five or six years ago I bought Little Samson used cart only for $50 (it was the most I spent on a used NES game outside of Dragon Quest IV).

Now It's at least $200 for a cart only copy (and maybe more, some auctions over $300!) and I am on the fence as to sell or not.

[quote name='confoosious']There are fundamental principles of economics that don't change. The invisible hand of the market being one of them. Supply and demand being another. This isn't like something that's en vogue amongst management consultants like silo organizations vs matrix organizations.

Guess what? I learned falling objects accelerate at 9.8/m/s^2 in high school and to the best of my knowledge, it still applies today. Imagine that.

Go prostrate yourself in front of the tv, watch "Ow my balls!" and stfu.

@OrangeArmy - I guess you really should invest heavily in those shares.[/QUOTE]

Get out of here with your logic and economic principles, you!

This thread is filled with so many CAGs with entitlement problems. I can't believe you fought the good fight for this long. It's like trying to prove evolution to a creationist. You just can't do it.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Get out of here with your logic and economic principles, you!

This thread is filled with so many CAGs with entitlement problems. I can't believe you fought the good fight for this long. It's like trying to prove evolution to a creationist. You just can't do it.[/QUOTE]

There's nothing worse than a bunch of idiots with their entitlement built on a foundation of ignorance.

They're always so whiny with the "why are prices so hiiiiiigh," whether it's on ebay or at the retail stores. They never understand that other people need to make money too.

bread's done
Back