Wii Super Paper Mario $30 @ EBGames (requires trip to Best Buy)

Zorn

CAGiversary!
This involves going to both Best Buy and EBgames. Here's what you do:

First, print off two of the "$5 off any Wii game" coupons here: http://img452.imageshack.us/my.php?image=coupons1hf5.jpg

Then, go into Best Buy, and pick up Open Season and Far Cry: Instincts. These games are both $19.99, and if you use the $5 off coupons on them they are $15 each. Note that you may have to buy one at the customer service counter then buy the other one at the regular register since the same person might not let you use 2 coupons at once. Plus as a bonus, if you're a RewardZone member, you get the points on those games.

Then go to EBgames, they have a promotion going on until 4/15 where if you trade in any 2 Wii games, you get one for free, maximum value $49.99. So you trade in your two newly acquired $15 games and walk out with a $50 Super Paper Mario. All done!

Sure, it takes going to two stores, but if where you live is anything like me, the EBgames and Best Buy are basically right next door to each other.

did this last week, glad i thought of it before all the copies of open season and far cry sold out, ha. always good to help out best buy and screw over the evilness that is eb/gamestop

First place I went to wouldn't let me get Super Paper Mario (he claimed it was supposed to be out today but that nobody received it), but the second place did. They only gave me $49.99 credit though so it looks like I'll be paying tax.

Gonna go on a hunt for an EB with a sealed copy of Kororinpa tonight, but it seems like it's in low stock. The second place had one copy, but I don't want to overdo this thing, especially after both clerks looked at the $5 trade value and said "wow, that's a great deal." :D

Gonna try our next trade-in without the case. Anybody get harassed over that?

I called my EB and he said the 2 for 1 Wii trade-in thingy ended at the beginning of this month.

Was he clueless or am I too late here?

[quote name='Merboy007']Wait...how will SPM come out to $20, if you're buying 2 games @ Best Buy for $15 equaling to $30 and trading them for SPM @ EB??? Don't you mean: "Super Paper Mario for $30 PLUS TAX here I come"???[/quote]
I got Open Season on a clearance rack at BB for 50% off and minus 5$ for the coupon (5$ final cost of the game)... I also got Far Cry for 15$ with coupon. So, that comes out to 20$ + tax. I'll be picking up my 20$ copy of SPM tomorrow :D

[quote name='KingBroly']

I think EB/Gamestop will have a lot of copies of Far Cry/Open Season.[/quote]

It really makes me laugh when I go into Gamestop and see 40-50 copies of PowerDrome Racing for PS2 :D

[quote name='ken12012']sorry, this doesn't work. the small print disclaimer reads that the game you trade in has to still be of $50 value (new).[/QUOTE]

wrong.

the game you choose (with the wii trade in deal) cannot be higher than $49.99 msrp. that must be why you're confused.

[quote name='ken12012']sorry, this doesn't work. the small print disclaimer reads that the game you trade in has to still be of $50 value (new).[/quote]

No, it doesn't.

* Free PS3 games must be $59.99 or less. Free Wii games must be $49.99 or less. Trade must be in full working condition to receive full value. Wii Play, Wii Sports, & demos not applicable towards offer. Offer not valid towards cash trades. Cannot be combined with any other offer. See store associate for details. No dealers. No rainchecks. Offer expires. 4/15/07.

Straight from the website.

[quote name='ken12012']sorry, this doesn't work. the small print disclaimer reads that the game you trade in has to still be of $50 value (new).[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:s

From the web site:

Free PS3 games must be $59.99 or less. Free Wii games must be $49.99 or less. Trade must be in full working condition to receive full value. Wii Play, Wii Sports, & demos not applicable towards offer. Offer not valid towards cash trades. Cannot be combined with any other offer. See store associate for details. No dealers. No rainchecks. Offer expires. 4/15/07.

Now, I haven't seen the in-store signage (no store near me even has it) but if they changed this and printed up new signs for it (as no one else has reported this disclaimer) that is pretty strange.

(Edit - d'oh! We all pounced on this at the same time :lol:
It didn't occur to me someone might confuse this "fine print" with meaning the trade-in games have to be worth $50 - especially as it says or less!)

My guess it that despite how us CAG's are all over this deal, and perhaps some of the SD and FW horde (which concerns me a bit - these trade-in deals used to be fairly limited to here), Gamestop will just ride this out for the rest of the week. As I said before, even if you buy their own games and sell them back to them, all it amounts to is a 20%-30% discount on the new game. While they'd rather sell them for $50 cash, of course, that isn't going to kill them. And sales are sales - makes their numbers look good. The only problem with overabusing this deal, of course, is that they won't offer something like this again. But if this has become a mainstream deal (at FW and SD) that is inevitable and you might as well get in on it while you can.

[quote name='ken12012']sorry, this doesn't work. the small print disclaimer reads that the game you trade in has to still be of $50 value (new).[/quote]

It appears there is an inconsistency with how EB Games/Gamestop is doing this "Trade 2 Wii games for a new Wii game" deal.

I was able to take advantage of this offer 100% without any hassle. I even checked out BestBuy.com and searched for Far Cry (not even listed in the online store) and Open Season for Wii and it said none of the local stores had it in stock. Turns out, they did, and quite a few!

I purchased each game separately with the $5 off coupons, going to different registers, and was able to use them without any hassle (even though the coupon says copies are not accepted).

I then went to EB Games and gave them the wrapped brand new games (didn't want to take the chance of opening them to make them look used in case they didn't accept these games for this deal and then wouldn't be able to return them to BB). They allowed me to reserve Paper Mario for pick-up tomorrow, no hassle.

I am shocked this worked, and it's totally legit. Thanks, Cheap Ass Gamer!

[quote name='Zoe']No, it doesn't.

* Free PS3 games must be $59.99 or less. Free Wii games must be $49.99 or less. Trade must be in full working condition to receive full value. Wii Play, Wii Sports, & demos not applicable towards offer. Offer not valid towards cash trades. Cannot be combined with any other offer. See store associate for details. No dealers. No rainchecks. Offer expires. 4/15/07.

Straight from the website.[/quote]

So the guy lied to me after all. I should know better than to ever listen to anyone who works in these shops.

Has anyone tried and had problems? Like the store won't let you trade in those specific games cause they're getting too many? Or is it all successes here?

Also are you guys opening them first or not? I'd rather not open them so just in case it doesn't work for some reason I can sell on Ebay.

[quote name='Kuros']Slickdeals knows about this also.[/quote]
and FW... surprise surprise ... sigh ....

Anyone else see the stupidity in this thread growing with "nonsense" the way it did today?
CAG had this over a week ago.
With all the nongamers that will abuse the hell out of it in the next 24 hours, rest assured we will be hard pressed to see an opportunity loop hole like this from GS/EB in the near future.

Perhaps if we just post relative info and kill duplicate threads in the future...???

and PMing other CAGers with questions always works great for me!

[quote name='xvszero']So the guy lied to me after all. I should know better than to ever listen to anyone who works in these shops.

Has anyone tried and had problems? Like the store won't let you trade in those specific games cause they're getting too many? Or is it all successes here?

Also are you guys opening them first or not? I'd rather not open them so just in case it doesn't work for some reason I can sell on Ebay.[/QUOTE]

Note that they have general "fine print" that says any trade is subject to manager's approval. So they could use that to weasel out of it. In that case, I'd just try another store.

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone because I called another EB and they never even heard of this.

W... T... F is going on? Shouldn't all stores know about the deal?

[quote name='io']Note that they have general "fine print" that says any trade is subject to manager's approval. So they could use that to weasel out of it. In that case, I'd just try another store.[/quote]

Ah that is interesting. Still though, the Ebs here have done every other EB deal I've checked up on in the past. Weird.

If your store doesn't know about it, tell them to call another store or a district manager... because the sale is definitely going on until the 15th.

[quote name='xvszero']
Also are you guys opening them first or not? I'd rather not open them so just in case it doesn't work for some reason I can sell on Ebay.[/quote]

I did get a hard time because of this. I just opened them up in between stores. Luckily the glue is so weak on the plastic for these two games that it would have been easy to reseal them if that was necessary.

[quote name='Zoe']I did get a hard time because of this. I just opened them up in between stores. Luckily the glue is so weak on the plastic for these two games that it would have been easy to reseal them if that was necessary.[/quote]

Did they actually try to tell you you can't trade the games in? Or were they just being a bit cocky about it but did it anyway?

This deal will work but you should preorder it. My buddy that works there said they have an insane amount of preorders, Im doing mine tonight on my way to work. Im not taking any chances. I called and told them what I was trading in and they said Preorder it then tomorrow when they receive the game comeback in and trade in your games and then they can do the deal. He said I will have no problems doing it. Thanks for posting this!

I did this twice so far and both EBs wouldn't let me use the trade in for a pre-order, so I just returned the game a day later with the receipt and used the credit to pre order the game. They let me do that, and one of the managers that told me no to using it for preorders the day before said I had figured out the secret to the trade in deal. And at one store the employee kept claiming the deal ended 3/31, so I had to have him look it up.

I preordered Paper Mario to get extra trade in credit and used the edge card to get a total of 20% extra.

I got $17 extra dollars in all. $30-$17=$13. With tax $15.15 total. GREAT price for Wii play.

Tommorow il cancel or put the money on something else for paper mario buy another 2 and get Paper Mario Wii. I'll probably preorder soemthing. Metroid Prime 3 I guess to get the extra 10% again.

[quote name='j.elles']I preordered Paper Mario to get extra trade in credit and used the edge card to get a total of 20% extra.

I got $17 extra dollars in all. $30-$17=$13. With tax $15.15 total. GREAT price for Wii play.

Tommorow il cancel or put the money on something else for paper mario buy another 2 and get Paper Mario Wii. I'll probably preorder soemthing. Metroid Prime 3 I guess to get the extra 10% again.[/QUOTE]

Wait, you mean they are doing the trade 2 get 1 free AND bumping you up 10% for the preorder? That is insane. I wouldn't even think of asking for that deal on top of it. I figure I'm lucky if I get them to take the 2 cheap Wii games at all :lol:.

I've done the deal twice. The first time I got an extra $3.90 from the Edge card because they didn't do the bumping right (I would expect them to bump the games to just over $45 so you don't get more than $50 after Edge but they rarely do this correctly ;)). The second time the guy screwed up and then redid it without scanning my Edge card so I just got the flat $50. Since they were in the process of closing the store I didn't worry about it. But it never occured to me to get the extra 10% - both times I did preorders as well and they certainly didn't offer. I suspect the deals aren't supposed to stack anyway, so YMMV on that. Like I said, I'm just glad they take the games and don't pull out some BS excuse. I could see not wanting to offer the 10% bonus as a reason for some stores not taking preorders with the deal, though.

Note that you probably can't preorder Metroid Prime 3 - it isn't listed in their preorder sheets anyway, even though it is online. But if they can't pull up a SKU for it they can't preorder it for you (they always ask me to read them the SKU out of their preorder binder when I preorder).

I think i might do this - Far cry has the pricegrabber rebate so that knocks it down to $25. Question is do i get Paper Mario or Zelda(which i also have a PG rebate for)? hmmmmmm.

[quote name='Pookymeister']I think i might do this - Far cry has the pricegrabber rebate so that knocks it down to $25. Question is do i get Paper Mario or Zelda(which i also have a PG rebate for)? hmmmmmm.[/QUOTE]

Surprised you don't have Zelda yet :shock:.

But, really, you can't go wrong with either. Plus, neither of them will be getting cheap any time soon.

I'm truly surprised at how many responses this thread has gotten... flipping these two titles was the first thing I thought of when the price drop was revealed a week or two ago. And the idea was mentioned and discussed numerous times in the EB thread.... Shows how important a title is, I guess ;)

Thanks for the deal.. Most stores I went to were gonna take the 2 games, but only when the game was released tomorrow.

I managed to get it preordered in full (and i got an additional $0.89 from the edge card) at another store (I'm pretty sure the employee was high at the time). The manager was kinda annoyed when she found out about it though...

yea, this is a total repost, but whatever

good for those who hadn't already been using the crap out of it

I've done it 4 times already, and will probably do more for ebay purposes this weekend

I actually tried to trade in my still-shrinkwrapped copies from BB and the guy looked at me like I was crazy, before handing me the razor blade to open them up haha

I just did this tonight, picked up the last Open Season at Best Buy and a Far Cry, took them in to EBGames still sealed, they took them without any issue, although the store clerk did open them himself before I left to make sure the game was still in there.

I put the credit towards a full-paid preorder for Mario Party 8, since the more I'm reading about Paper Mario being less RPG than the others I don't think I'd care for it.

You can double dip on CRedit. Just trade-in 2 games for 1 free game. Get many Super Paper Mario game you can then Return it for credit or gift card. You must do it on separate transaction.

As i posted on fatwallet about this deal:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] You'd be better off just buying the $1.99 clearance games from Best Buy and trading them at FYE (or any other transworld store). A lot of them are worth anywhere from $6.25 to $25 store credit. Supposedly every store restocked on a lot of the games on saturday night.

http://geocities.com/soilman22285/fyelist.txt

Some new additions:

PS2 - BEatmania Bundle - $6.25
PSP - Capcom CLassics Remixed - $8.50
GC - Over the Hedge & Curious George - $8.50 each

The Prices on the txt list are before the extra 25% you get if you select store credit over cash. So if you're really lucky, you can get Super Paper Mario for as low as $4 total cost. Once you have your credit, it is usable at any Transworld b&m store or website.
[/FONT]

got denied on the trade in to preorder in the san bruno, ca gamestops and eb's (i went to 6 total). they said they need to have the item in stock. however, i traded in far cry and open season at fye for $54 ($21.60 plus additional $5.40 each for taking in store credit).

in my opinion, this works the SAME as the trade in two games and get one free, BUT you have to wait for the games to come out and then find them at FYE to get them with your newfound store credit.

basically, after buying the two games for $32.46 ($16.23 each), i turned that amount into $54.00 store credit (roughtly a game after tax) which i will use towards a future wii game purchase.

seems like a good last ditch effort to get the most out of it before FYE updates their prices and if your local gamestop's and eb's aren't as forthcoming with the CAG deal.

NOTE: they only take 1 copy of a game per trade-in - i was denied 2 far cry's.

everyone go over to FW/SD and post horror stories about how this deal doesn't work at all

and my FYE hates trade-ins like the plague, and typically likes to screw me over, soooooo I'll stick to BB flipping

[quote name='io']Surprised you don't have Zelda yet :shock:.

[/quote]

Heh, with the backlog i have, i don't buy games full price anymore.

My local EB stores have 4+ copies of Far Cry and 1-3 Open Seasons in stock, with no additional shipments coming. I hope this means the trade-ins will be allowed.

Does anyone know if the numbers on their site means new units, or new and used units?

As long as we're screwing over Gamestop that works for me (of course OP, all the EBgames are being re-named to Gamestop, so there is no more EBgames ;). Atleast for potential Wii owners/cheapasses the price of Farcry and Open Season will drop considerably after this exploit.

[quote name='xvszero']Did they actually try to tell you you can't trade the games in? Or were they just being a bit cocky about it but did it anyway?[/quote]

Yeah, they actually said no. I said, "What's the difference with me just opening it and then giving it to you?" But their response was "We still can't because we'd know it's a new game." :roll:

[quote name='Zoe']Yeah, they actually said no. I said, "What's the difference with me just opening it and then giving it to you?" But their response was "We still can't because we'd know it's a new game." :roll:[/QUOTE]

I would have told them "I'm going home to play it for twenty minutes, then I'm coming back and it will no longer be "new" have them try to escape out of them unless they pull the "Managers rulez" card out their ass. In that case just try another Gamestop, atleast here theres like 5 within 20 miles heh.

I don't know why they'd be ticked about getting new "used" games

I might actually buy some of their used games if they didn't appear to have been run over by cars and taken through a power sander

[quote name='SoccerEBA3']I don't know why they'd be ticked about getting new "used" games

I might actually buy some of their used games if they didn't appear to have been run over by cars and taken through a power sander[/quote]

Exactly. Hell, they could probably even fudge it and say they were new.

That's why I never buy games from there unless I can get a sealed copy.

[quote name='SoccerEBA3']I don't know why they'd be ticked about getting new "used" games

I might actually buy some of their used games if they didn't appear to have been run over by cars and taken through a power sander[/QUOTE]

Because there are a LOT of stupid people out there, many of whom will walk out of Wal Mart with an armload of 20 games (don't ask how), haul them next door, and try to trade them in.

If Wal Mart comes to collect, Gamestop is the one liable (same for pawn shops, by the way). This risk, along with the fact that your trading in a new game most likely means that you are taking advantage of them in some way, is (I think) a fairly good reason for this policy. I'm not a Gamestop lover by ANY means, but in this situation I understand (while still frustrated by) their policy.

I used to frequent pawn shops all over Missouri and talked to a lot of owners - they would tell story after story of idiots who would come into their shops with stacks of new/sealed DVD's. They always turned them down for the same reason, and called the cops as the person was leaving.

[quote name='chosen1s']Because there are a LOT of stupid people out there, many of whom will walk out of Wal Mart with an armload of 20 games (don't ask how), haul them next door, and try to trade them in.

If Wal Mart comes to collect, Gamestop is the one liable (same for pawn shops, by the way). This risk, along with the fact that your trading in a new game most likely means that you are taking advantage of them in some way, is (I think) a fairly good reason for this policy. I'm not a Gamestop lover by ANY means, but in this situation I understand (while still frustrated by) their policy.

I used to frequent pawn shops all over Missouri and talked to a lot of owners - they would tell story after story of idiots who would come into their shops with stacks of new/sealed DVD's. They always turned them down for the same reason, and called the cops as the person was leaving.[/quote]

But in GS's case, they aren't giving you the monies - just another game. Someone who just stole 20 games wants the monies.

Awesome deal. All that I need to do now is hope I can find either games. I only have one BB near me. Or I could buy both of those games used because there are about three EB/GameStops near me. Tomorrow is gonna be fun...

Luckily, my BB is near a Circuit City, so I could check there and see if they dont have it and get $20 store credit. I hope this works alright for me...

Has anyone tried just buying these two games at a Gamestop/EB and turn around and trade them in? I mean it's not as cheap as the best buy deal but it still saves like $10. I know it varies from store to store but I just want to get an idea of the type of reaction I can expect.

bread's done
Back