Wii U - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='ebucel']Just waiting to see all of those anit-n64 kid videos of xmas... "What you got me the White version!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!! I'll be the laughing stock... at school."

also in japan 2nd controler is 1/2 the price of the console Ouch![/QUOTE]

Sadly, I can see this happening. The Basic Wii has all of the same functionality and it would probably be smarter to just buy a large USB HDD as opposed to spending the extra money for Nintendo Land, some more plastic and a slightly larger SDD.

The reason why I'll probably keep my Deluxe pre-order is because it comes with some extra plastic accessories that I kind of want anyway and I'm kind of curious what I'm going to get as part of the "deluxe digital promotion" thingie.

[quote name='KillerRamen']Sadly, I can see this happening. The Basic Wii has all of the same functionality and it would probably be smarter to just buy a large USB HDD as opposed to spending the extra money for Nintendo Land, some more plastic and a slightly larger SDD.

The reason why I'll probably keep my Deluxe pre-order is because it comes with some extra plastic accessories that I kind of want anyway and I'm kind of curious what I'm going to get as part of the "deluxe digital promotion" thingie.[/QUOTE]
The controller charger is what did it for me seriously to go with the black model. Kinda handy since the controller isn't a straight up just USB cable.

[quote name='theflicker']The other major exclusive, it seems, is the loyalty program. It's not available separately, correct?[/QUOTE]

Correct, but not really much is known about it right now and I kind of doubt that's a major selling point to the kids who would complain about getting the basic one.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']The controller charger is what did it for me seriously to go with the black model. Kinda handy since the controller isn't a straight up just USB cable.[/QUOTE]

The controller cradle does seem like it would be very useful for me too. I have too many damn consoles and not enough room, so the cradle would help make it a little more manageable. I'll also probably use the console stand, so that's $40 worth of plastic accessories that I'm fairly certain I'll use. So yeah, I guess it does kind of make sense for me to just go with the Deluxe bundle.

Also thinking back to when I originally got the Xbox 360, it only had a 20GB HDD at the start out with and that seemed to have worked out fine until I got the 120GB HDD. So I guess 32GBs will probably be fine as well until I see a need to buy a SD Card or external HDD.

I'm going over in my head what launch window games I want/am interested in for Wii U, and I'll be honest, the list is pretty big.

- New Super Mario Bros. U
- Rayman Legends
- The Wonderful 101
- Pikmin 3
- Nintendo Land
- Assassin's Creed 3
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
- Tekken Tag Tournament 2
- Zombi U
- Aliens: Colonial Marines
- Ninja Gaiden 3

I'm asking myself 'how'd this happen?' And that's not even including Bayonetta 2, which is what pushed me over the edge to pre-order in the first place.

[quote name='mykevermin']nonsense? not sure what you mean - all three of last gen consoles were super hella hard to get around launch. unless you mean nonsense in the "nintendo deliberately shorts the market" sense. which is kinda debatable.[/QUOTE]

Maybe where you are. I remember PS3 being hot for about 2 weeks and selling at a premium during that time but prices leveled off and supplies were available well before Christmas. I don't remember Wii or Xbox 360 ever being hard to find, except maybe the two week period before christmas when everything is hard to get.

Anyways, the whole selling out of pre-orders nonsense is just marketing hype. Stores have no clue what quantities will or won't be available yet, and are erring on the side of less rather than more.

4 minutes ago The Wii U Launch Games List is divided into several sections, including launch day games, launch window titles, retail games and eShop games.
Confirmed Launch Day Games

Nintendo and other publishers haven't been very clear about which announced games will be available at launch. This short list below is of the games confirmed for launch on Day 1, November 18, 2012 in North America, many via Nintendo's official Wii U page on their website.[1]
Game Wiki Publisher Assassin’s Creed III Wiki Ubisoft Darksiders II Wiki THQ Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two Wiki Disney Interactive ESPN Sports Connection
Ubisoft Game Party Champions Wiki Warner Bros. Interactive Just Dance 4
Ubisoft New Super Mario Bros. U Wiki Nintendo Nintendo Land Wiki Nintendo Rabbids Land Wiki Ubisoft Scribblenauts Unlimited Wiki Warner Bros. Interactive Sing Party
Nintendo Tank! Tank! Tank!
Namco Bandai Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
Ubisoft ZombiU Wiki Ubisoft Likely Launch Day Games

This list of games is confirmed for the Launch Window, but will probably be available on day one. (Citations needed)

Launch "Window" Titles

This is the full, current list of games planned to launch for the Wii U between Day 1 (November 18) and the end of March 2013 – the "launch window." Some titles are scheduled only for North America at this time, and those have been noted throughout.[2]
The company has yet to commit to specific dates for all of these titles. Check the appropriate wiki for updates as new information arises.
Game Wiki Publisher 007 Legends Wiki Activision Aliens: Colonial Marines Wiki SEGA Assassin’s Creed III Wiki Ubisoft Batman: Arkham City -- Armored Edition Wiki Warner Bros. Interactive Ben 10: Omniverse
D3 Bit.Trip Presents: Runner 2 Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
Aksys Games Cabela’s Dangerous Hunts 2013 (North America only)
Activision Call of Duty: Black Ops II Wiki Activision Darksiders II Wiki THQ Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two Wiki Disney Interactive Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade
D3 FIFA Soccer 13 Wiki EA Funky Barn (North America only)
Ubisoft Game & Wario Wiki Nintendo Game Party Champions Wiki Warner Bros. Interactive Jeopardy! (North America only)
THQ Jett Tailfin (North America only)
Maximum Games Just Dance 4
Ubisoft LEGO City Undercover Wiki Nintendo Madden NFL 13 Wiki EA Marvel's The Avengers: Battle for Earth Wiki Ubisoft Mass Effect 3 Wiki EA Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Wiki Capcom Nano Assault Neo Wiki Majesco NBA 2K13 Wiki 2K New Super Mario Bros. U Wiki Nintendo Ninja Gaiden III: Razor’s Edge Wiki Nintendo
Techmo Nintendo Land Wiki Nintendo Pikmin 3 (North America only) Wiki Nintendo Rabbids Land Wiki Ubisoft Rapala Pro Bass Fishing (North America only)
Activision Rayman Legends Wiki Ubisoft Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game
D3 Scribblenauts Unlimited Wiki Warner Bros. Interactive Sing Party
Nintendo Skylanders Giants
Activision Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Wiki SEGA Sports Connection
Ubisoft Tank! Tank! Tank!
Namco Bandai Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wiki Namco Bandai The Wonderful 101 (North America only) Wiki Nintendo Toki Tori 2
Two Tribes Transformers Prime
Activision Trine 2: Director’s Cut Wiki Atlus Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
KOEI Wheel of Fortune (North America only)
THQ Wii Fit U (North America only)
Nintendo Wipeout: The Game 3
Activision Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
Ubisoft ZombiU Wiki Ubisoft Zumba Fitness Core (North America only)
Majesco If you add something to the confirmed/announced columns, you MUST provide a source - and a link. Thanks!

Announced Retail Games

Announced Digital (eShop) Games

I was watching some of the developer's interviews on the Nintendo site and they said Rayman Legends is going to be available at launch and the lady from Bioware said Mass Effect 3's target was launch day.

[quote name='KingBroly']So...who wants Bayonetta in Smash Bros.? And who thinks we'll get it?[/QUOTE]

Didn't think of that. It would be really sweet.

In fact here's Reggie at least talking about it:

http://nintendoeverything.com/99243...-be-pleased-with-online-efforts-friend-codes/

Reggie on online networks for Wii U…
“And by that I mean, it’s gonna be best for us to show the specific mechanics, how it works, for me to sit here and try to explain it to you without some nice visuals is gonna take our entire interview time. The key message I would communicate to your readers would be this: We have spent a lot of time and invested a lot of money to get our connected experiences right. And so when we highlight how the eShop will work, how the Nintendo Network is going to work, I think people are going to be very pleased.”
Reggie on Friend Codes…
“We’ve heard the community feedback on friend codes and we’re making it dramatically easier for you to connect with your friends.”
Pressing the home button will make more content available, such as the eShop, Nintendo TVii, and an actual game. Reggie was also able to confirm that there aren’t channels like there are on Wii. Rather, you’ll have “options for where you wanna go from there.” Users will be able to hop into Netflix or start a Miiverse-specific app more further content.

Seeing that list of launch games with the confirmed titles, all 4 of the games I currently have ordered are Launch titles as well as NintendoLand, so since 3 are coming from online I'll have 2 on launch guaranteed and 5 by the end of the first week, that seems like it is plenty for the launch, plus who knows If I'll add another one or two.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Seems like I waited too long to get a pre-order in. They appear to be sold out every where online.[/QUOTE]

GameStop still appears to have the Basic set available.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm going over in my head what launch window games I want/am interested in for Wii U, and I'll be honest, the list is pretty big.

I'm asking myself 'how'd this happen?' And that's not even including Bayonetta 2, which is what pushed me over the edge to pre-order in the first place.[/QUOTE]

I'm kind of surprised by how good this launch line-up is, too... Including NintendoLand, I'll be getting three games, but there are at least 9 more that I would really like to play. Best console launch ever? Quite possibly.

[quote name='Scobie']I'm kind of surprised by how good this launch line-up is, too... Including NintendoLand, I'll be getting three games, but there are at least 9 more that I would really like to play. Best console launch ever? Quite possibly.[/QUOTE]

Seems that when Iawata and others said they were taking the issues from the 3DS launch to heart they werent kidding.

Other than the debate as to if the Wii U base system is $50 too high, this seems to be a hit on all counts with room to build hype to launch day as Nintendo still hasnt really made it clear what how their online systems will work. They will certain have a few more Nintendo Direct events before launch.

[quote name='foltzie']Seems that when Iawata and others said they were taking the issues from the 3DS launch to heart they werent kidding.

Other than the debate as to if the Wii U base system is $50 too high, this seems to be a hit on all counts with room to build hype to launch day as Nintendo still hasnt really made it clear what how their online systems will work. They will certain have a few more Nintendo Direct events before launch.[/QUOTE]

I believe Reggie said they're going to detail that in another Nintendo Direct. Either because it's not completely finished or because it's a lot to go over.

I'll say a bit of both.

[quote name='KingBroly']I believe Reggie said they're going to detail that in another Nintendo Direct. Either because it's not completely finished or because it's a lot to go over.

I'll say a bit of both.[/QUOTE]

Judging by the pre-order sellouts, I don't think they need to do too much more hype work, but I'm looking forward to learning more about the online interface, voice chat, etc. I hope it will work with Bluetooth headsets.

While it obviously isn't concrete, some Wii-U games like Assassin's Creed 3 are being released on Nov 13th according to Gamestop.com

[quote name='Josh5890']While it obviously isn't concrete, some Wii-U games like Assassin's Creed 3 are being released on Nov 13th according to Gamestop.com[/QUOTE]

Chalk it up to the Sunday launch. Most third parties are shipping in advance for 13 Nov to ensure availability.

[quote name='Scobie']Chalk it up to the Sunday launch. Most third parties are shipping in advance for 13 Nov to ensure availability.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I certainly remember Wii games in stores before the system was actually out.

Isn't games and accessories being available before the console a pretty standard thing? I remember getting called to pick up TTT and Madden 01 a week before the PS2 launch.

Toys"R"Us seems to be sold out now. Glad I got my order in earlier today.

One thing that does legitimately bug me is that it at least seems like games that would really benefit from on-line play aren't going to have it-Super Mario Bros U, Rabbids Land, Tank Tank Tank. I don't think Nintendoloand has any either. These could be unique online experiences you can't get elsewhere and they aren't taking advantage of that fact. At least it appears that way.

[quote name='Scobie']I'm kind of surprised by how good this launch line-up is, too... Including NintendoLand, I'll be getting three games, but there are at least 9 more that I would really like to play. Best console launch ever? Quite possibly.[/QUOTE]
Rock solid for sure, but I think I gotta give best launch to the US launch of Dreamcast.

I've got Pikmin 3 preordered thanks to the $42 trade-in value of the Dual Shock 3. ($30 base + $3 for PUR and $9 for the 30% promo on certain game preorders). I'll probably go do another tomorrow for NSMB U. I really wasn't planning on getting that right away, but I think my 4 year-old is the perfect fit for using the pad to draw blocks, etc. Or maybe I should get Rayman instead?? Not sure...

Funny how old, worn out PS3 controllers are turning into Wii U games for me though ;).

I'm not pre-ordering Pikmin 3 til there's a solid release date, I'm pretty sure it's not out this year.

I'm playing Rayman Origins now with my kids and it is indeed great, especially coop. So Legends is definitely on my list. It looks awesome.

Went ahead and pre-ordered Mario and ZombiU at GameStop, mainly so I can make it a one-stop shopping kind of day. If Rayman or Pikmin gets an official Nov. 18th date, I'll jump on those in a heartbeat.

Also, this may not be hugely relevant, but Amazon is taking pre-orders for the Pro controller. I put an order in for black, if only because I remember even remotes being a bitch to find when the Wii launched. I don't think it's going to be the same with the Pro, but it's a nice 'better safe than sorry' option with no money down and an easy return policy.

So, uh, provided GameStop actually comes through with a system, I think I'm set.

Fingers crossed, right?

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm playing Rayman Origins now with my kids and it is indeed great, especially coop. So Legends is definitely on my list. It looks awesome.[/QUOTE]

I just started Rayman Origins and it is amazing. One of the best games this gen.

Welp, looks like I am gonna grab Darksiders 2 at launch. So looks like gaming plan is this. Borderlands 2 then Dishonored then beat Darksiders for D2 then Rayman Origins if I have enough time for Rayman Legends.

I know I can get Darksiders 2 for PC for cheaper but might as well get it for Wii-U, what the hell.

[quote name='007']Also, this may not be hugely relevant, but Amazon is taking pre-orders for the Pro controller. I put an order in for black, if only because I remember even remotes being a bitch to find when the Wii launched. I don't think it's going to be the same with the Pro, but it's a nice 'better safe than sorry' option with no money down and an easy return policy. [/QUOTE]

GameStop is also taking preorders for the pro controller. Given how many controllers I wore out on the GameCube and 360, and the price of a new Wii U gamepad, I think getting a pro controller is pretty prudent for use with games that don't necessarily require the gamepad to help prolong its life.

I hope they have any easy/fast way to switch players, because everyone's going to want a turn on the tablet controller in local coop. Of course I'm presuming it has accounts and not just one account per WiiU. I certainly hope it does.

Rayman Lengends has release date of Dec. 4th on amazon and gamestop.com, which is a tuesday. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

We've known that for a couple of years now. It will probably happen. At least we'll have a Star Fox themed stage in Bayonetta 2. Probably.

I know we're way too far out for both consoles, but does anyone think that I might be able to share an external HDD with my Ouya and Wii U? It would be much nicer if I could get away with having one external hard drive instead of two for the consoles, but I'm not really sure how that would work.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I know we're way too far out for both consoles, but does anyone think that I might be able to share an external HDD with my Ouya and Wii U? It would be much nicer if I could get away with having one external hard drive instead of two for the consoles, but I'm not really sure how that would work.[/QUOTE]
It might if both use the same format. Like if both are formatted Fat 32 or NTFS then maybe. Depends if both need you to format the drive too. It's a possibility that they well, then again there is a possibility that they wont. Although with the Ouya, you can probably just work like a 16gb flash drive and be fine. Android games are not too big.

Completely anecdotal and just a sample of one, but I was talking to some relatively tech-savvy parents of one of my kids friends and they were pretty clueless about the Wii U. The father thought it was a portable add-on for the Wii and the mother had never heard of it at all. And this conversation was going on in their living room while their daughter was surfing Netflix on their Wii (and they own a 360 too) so they are familiar with current consoles. And these are also people that wait in line to get new iPhones...

So, yeah, not a good sign there for Nintendo - people who bought a Wii early on (after playing it at our house), are around 40 years old, and fairly tach savvy (they own a software company) yet having little idea about the Wii U even after the official release announcement last week.

It may not mean much in the grand scheme of things but I'd say Nintendo definitely has some work to do on ads/branding for this thing.

Did Target have in store preorders as well? I went in and saw no displays or signage about it. I asked someone working there but they were pretty clueless about it.

I missed out on all the online preorders because I was going to wait awhile but my girlfriend suddenly decided that she wanted to get a deluxe model for me.

bread's done
Back