Wii U poor sales confirmed BY NINTENDO! Blasterman poor troll confirmed BY BLASTERMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Deader2818']Actually, its already been stated by several sources that they will indeed hit the target of 4 million worldwide.[/QUOTE]

Unless nintendo pulls a microsoft and stuffs the channels, they will not hit the forecast. No chance.

[quote name='chimpmeister']They need to get rid of Iwata ASAP in my opinion, he's presided over two huge blunders (3DS and Wii U), and seems to have no clue what the gaming public wants.[/QUOTE]

I love my 3DS! And I think it is still too early to tell on the WiiU (although I do not plan to buy one any time soon).

[quote name='itachiitachi']So you don't let your kids watch T.V., play video games, have pets, go on field trips, eat any food before they have had an allergy test, And when they get older you will only allows them to play sports like golf or tennis?

Um go read the what I wrote and tell me how I was directing those issues at you personally.
It is a simple point: every parent allows their children to do things which are a million times worse than playing a 3DS.
Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension, or are books to dangerous with the risk of paper cuts or possible falling on someone during and an earth quake?

Eye doctors: Well it's fine in moderation and may even help detect eye problems.
Blaster man:NOOOO! Their is a warning label! There is no way it can be safe, it will fry here eyes any parent that would let their kid play a 3DS is the worst parent ever!
Me: I'd think I'd rather let a kid play a 3DS than be raised you.[/QUOTE]

Wow, if this is what parenting has come to in the USA then please god let me never have kids!!

TV has no value and is proven to make brains more stagnant, (if you have played brain age for the DS the game talks about this) so therefore under your assumption children should watch no TV since it has no value and can make the brain less active. I sure wouldn't want to be raised by a parent who didn't let me watch any TV because they believe it can rot the brain. Correct me if I am wrong but part of having kids is letting them have a little fun right, and maybe they should be allowed to do something that might just be bad for them, even if its for a little while. I sure would hate to be raised by the parent who is constantly nagging about how everything is bad for kids......and doesn't let the kid do anything but sit in a room and read a book..

It has also been proven that if you are raised in this type of household that when you go away to college for example or otherwise are out in this real world without parental supervision, the child raised in the most strict household will be the most likely to be the one who is the most troublemaker, aka go to all the parties, never attend classes and do the most drugs and drinking of all of them since freedom is a totally new thing to these types of young adults.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Unless nintendo pulls a microsoft and stuffs the channels, they will not hit the forecast. No chance.[/QUOTE]
They sold over 3 million world wide from Nov-Dec. Despite their software slump selling another million from Jan-March is not unrealistic.

[quote name='SaraAB']Wow, if this is what parenting has come to in the USA then please god let me never have kids!!

TV has no value and is proven to make brains more stagnant, (if you have played brain age for the DS the game talks about this) so therefore under your assumption children should watch no TV since it has no value and can make the brain less active. I sure wouldn't want to be raised by a parent who didn't let me watch any TV because they believe it can rot the brain. Correct me if I am wrong but part of having kids is letting them have a little fun right, and maybe they should be allowed to do something that might just be bad for them, even if its for a little while. I sure would hate to be raised by the parent who is constantly nagging about how everything is bad for kids......and doesn't let the kid do anything but sit in a room and read a book..

It has also been proven that if you are raised in this type of household that when you go away to college for example or otherwise are out in this real world without parental supervision, the child raised in the most strict household will be the most likely to be the one who is the most troublemaker, aka go to all the parties, never attend classes and do the most drugs and drinking of all of them since freedom is a totally new thing to these types of young adults.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure if this is directed at me or blaster man. But the point was that kids engage in activities that have far more risk than playing a 3ds and either have just as little benefit, or an alternative with less risk. And every parent lets their kid engage in some of these activities, so letting your kid play a 3ds in moderation, which has been OKed by experts is not grounds to criticize a parent on despite blaster man's claim other wise.

Long winded parenting talk. People with no kids can skip. :)

[quote name='SaraAB']
TV has no value and is proven to make brains more stagnant, (if you have played brain age for the DS the game talks about this) so therefore under your assumption children should watch no TV since it has no value and can make the brain less active. [/QUOTE]

On the flipside TV can also stimulate activity. I let my kids (6&8) watch a decent amount of tv, but 80% of it can be viewed as educational... and that's their choice, I didn't force it on them.

I started them out with the classic Disney shorts from the 30's-50's, mixed in the Muppet Show & DuckTales, and moved on to Looney Tunes. I have a passion for movies, especially Disney/Pixar so all that's been consumed as well. We have a projector with a 12' screen so it's a treat to watch a film.

Somewhere in the mix, however, I introduced them to Planet Earth and Life. Ever since then, they have been consumed by any and all Discovery-type shows about animals & nature. Their current favorites are Wild Kratts (PBS live/animated hybrid that teaches about animals), Ocean Mysteries, Sea Rescue and Wild Things with Dominic Monahghan. All are wildly educational. Take my oldest, on a recent WT, Dom found a certain kind of snake so my oldest went to the school library yesterday to find a snake book that would tell her more about it. She tore through the book already and can tell me all about them. She reads a ton, and has already decided to be an Oceanographer. Good for her, now we have to figure out how to realize that dream. :)

Even when they venture into that other 20% (non-educational) it's a treat. They both do gymnastics 6 hours a week, knock out their homework right after school, and are all around well behaved/mannered kids. So even when they decide to watch Phineas & Ferb or Young Justice, after it's over they'll be digging into the crafts to either draw their own superhero or in the oldest's case create her own mask so she can be a female Kid Flash(she's obsessed with KF). They have an obsession with creating stuff out of empty cereal boxes and milk jugs.

I can see how tv can rot the brain ( i.e. parents who just let the tv parent for a few hours a day), but to those who are involved in what they are watching (I watch most of those shows with them) it can be a learning tool. So yeah, since it's clear my kids are getting something out of what they're watching I probably let them watch more than I should, or are at least more lenient when they want to watch something that's not educational.

Now to bring it back to games. I grew up with Atari & Nintendo, afternoon cartoons, and Saturday morning block of cartoons, all eating up all my free time as a kid and I'd like to think I turned out okay. I even ended up in a creative field.

My oldest has a DS & a new iPod Touch. Minecraft has consumed her gaming time. So much so, I have to take it away from time to time. The youngest got a 3DS from Santa. She's not a big gamer, but when she does play it she turns the 3D off. Her choice. She doesn't like it. Her game of choice? Animal Genius, that teaches about animals.

So science can tell you tv rots the brain, or 3D is bad for children's eyes but science and studies remove the human element from the equation. Good parenting wins in the end. If you don't let these things rule your kid's world, I think they'll turn out just fine.

I really can't criticize any parent, as I don't have kids, except for the ones that do things to their children that directly harm them, and that would be a unanimous decision amongst society, as in most people with a brain would say, hey its not right to let your kid do that. But I have witnessed many parents in acts of either helicopter parenting or acts of hey just go and do whatever you want, I don't even care that you are my kid.

It seems in my area there are 2 types of parents, those who go full out helicopter mom and won't let their kids do anything except put them in a room and read a book or the ones that will let them do anything and everything to the point where they almost do not know they have children.

I am pretty sure the TV rots your brain thing comes from the fact that some parents let their kid sit in front of the TV at all hours of the day and as much as they want.

Totally OT but the childhood obesity epidemic is way blown out of proportion by the media, there are other countries who have mass health problems BESIDES America's childhood obesity epidemic but for some reason the media doesn't report on these things. Your kid won't die or get fat if they eat fast food a couple times a year, just don't feed them crap every day, don't belt them into a stroller at 8 years old and let them move around when out in public and your kids will be fine. The reason I say this is I see kids sitting in strollers and shopping carts at 7-9 years old (they sit in the back of the stroller and put their feet in the front section) and can't help but think... well that is part of the problem, our kids aren't walking in normal situations where they should be walking. I see several of these every time I am at the mall and this is not something I have seen in the past, only in recent years. Pretty sure I was out of the stroller as soon as I was able to, probably about 4-5 years old, and I definitely wouldn't have wanted to be seen in a stroller at 8 years old that is for sure.

[quote name='itachiitachi']They sold over 3 million world wide from Nov-Dec. Despite their software slump selling another million from Jan-March is not unrealistic.[/QUOTE]

You'd think. But the figures are like 40,000 sold in a month in Japan, and like 66,000 in the US. They need to sell like 200k in the rest of the world a month to get that figure. They aren't.

[quote name='Deader2818']Actually, the numbers for US were February. Won't know what they sold in march till next month.[/QUOTE]

Yea, but it was lower in January.

[quote name='elessar123']Yea, but it was lower in January.[/QUOTE]

And March actually saw games released. Two of which were Lego City and Monster Hunter.

[quote name='Deader2818']And March actually saw games released. Two of which were Lego City and Monster Hunter.[/QUOTE]

Monster Hunter Tri sold about half a million copies stateside. While it probably moved some units, I'd be surprised if the pair raises the figure by even 100k units.

MH should bring in some sales, if you want to play MH you pretty much have to buy a Wii U now, it could be that those who bought a Wii U bought it ahead of time to play MH though. At least it is a good long game you can spend some time on.

[quote name='itachiitachi']They sold over 3 million world wide from Nov-Dec. Despite their software slump selling another million from Jan-March is not unrealistic.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me or blaster man. But the point was that kids engage in activities that have far more risk than playing a 3ds and either have just as little benefit, or an alternative with less risk. And every parent lets their kid engage in some of these activities, so letting your kid play a 3ds in moderation, which has been OKed by experts is not grounds to criticize a parent on despite blaster man's claim other wise.[/QUOTE]

Wii U is selling 40k or less a month in japan, 66k or less in america for the past 2 months. In UK its selling less then 1500 units a week, and thats europes biggest market. Unless they stuff the channels, they will not hit their revised forecast.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Wii U is selling 40k or less a month in japan, 66k or less in america for the past 2 months. In UK its selling less then 1500 units a week, and thats europes biggest market. Unless they stuff the channels, they will not hit their revised forecast.[/QUOTE]
Maybe, March is the first month with actual game releases in the U.S. and the new dragon quest game comes out at the end of the month in Japan.

[quote name='SaraAB']

If they fixed some of this by making the controller charge via USB through the system,[/QUOTE]

Nah charging through an outlet is better because it means you don't have to stretch a cable across your floor. YOu can plug the charging cable into an outlet behind your couch or to the side of it etc. Much better. No cable across the floor.

If you owned the system you would see the benefits of this solution. And you would also know the charging port on the Gamepad is micro-usb.

And you would know the real annoyance is moving the charging cable from the back of your dock to your GAmepad (when your battery runs low) and back again when you are done playing. So much so you might as well not plug the cord into the back of your dock. Keep it plugged into the Gamepad and just use the dock as a non-powered dock.

Thus instead Nintendo should have designed a more practical dock solution. One with a heavier base and an eye hole that catches the cord when you disconnect it from the Gamepad in order to keep the charging cord from falling to floor.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Wii U is selling 40k or less a month in japan, 66k or less in america for the past 2 months. In UK its selling less then 1500 units a week, and thats europes biggest market. Unless they stuff the channels, they will not hit their revised forecast.[/QUOTE]

In the UK they've had virtually all their retailers cut the price by 50 pounds (sterling) and it hasn't helped sales over there.

For my part, I won't buy it before a price drop. My current Wii's GPU is breaking, I've got Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story to play still, and about a dozen games I downloaded onto my Wii (free) from the Club Nintendo points that I want to transfer to a Wii U. I'm actually thinking of dropping my plans of getting a Wii U and just selling the RPG's for a profit. I'll probably hold off till the end of this year. I'm expecting a price drop next month but if one doesn't happen by the end of the year I'm probably never going to bother getting a Wii U.

If that happens (I don't get a Wii U) that would be the only Nintendo console other than a Virtual Boy and a 3DS (which I eventually plan on getting for my kids) that I didn't get. I even owned a GBA SP and hooked it up to my NGC to play Wind Waker. That's probably one of the reasons they're porting it to the Wii U, it's got the gamepad which can function as the GBA SP did in that game. That feature with the fairy was pretty much a gimmick and not worth it anyway. I'm still hopeful for the price drop and probably a much better holiday bundle though. They're going to have some serious competition and will have to do something.

[quote name='trip1eX']Wii U will look more appealing in 12-18 once games pile up and price inches downward.[/QUOTE]

It's been on sale on and off at different retailers since christmas. There's a new thread in the deals forum every week.
I'm not sure what the price complaints are about. If you want to pay $200 for it, that's just not happening.

[quote name='trip1eX']Nah charging through an outlet is better because it means you don't have to stretch a cable across your floor. YOu can plug the charging cable into an outlet behind your couch or to the side of it etc. Much better. No cable across the floor.

If you owned the system you would see the benefits of this solution. And you would also know the charging port on the Gamepad is micro-usb.

And you would know the real annoyance is moving the charging cable from the back of your dock to your GAmepad (when your battery runs low) and back again when you are done playing. So much so you might as well not plug the cord into the back of your dock. Keep it plugged into the Gamepad and just use the dock as a non-powered dock.

Thus instead Nintendo should have designed a more practical dock solution. One with a heavier base and an eye hole that catches the cord when you disconnect it from the Gamepad in order to keep the charging cord from falling to floor.[/QUOTE]

If the battery life is going to be 2 hours for a video game controller and cannot be changed then they should give the user more than one charging option or include an extra battery and make it so that battery can be swapped on the fly. I have never encountered a video game controller in my life with 2 hour battery life! Nintendo used to be the king of battery life, what happened?

My Xbox 360 controller has had the same set of batteries since thanksgiving and they show no signs of quitting yet, I have really amazing rechargable batteries! I actually like AA battery controllers because I can use my Rechargables that all use the same charger and I can swap batteries when I need more power and not have to dig for a cord or look for an outlet.

I can see it being very annoying to take the cable out of the cradle and plug it in, but I can't see the plug it in elsewhere situation working for my setup. I have limited outlets in my room and as you might guess, they are all full, all my power strips are full of wall wart chargers that I use every single day so I can't move them ( and I have 3 at least 8 outlets each power strips) One more device that needs to be charged constantly would probably put more over the edge right now especially if its another huge power brick. I would probably end up just perpetually plugging this thing into the console with a USB cord and using it wired since I sit directly in front of my TV when I play. Glad to hear it uses USB mini though because that means I already have the cables to hook it up to the console.

I had an iPod touch 4th gen, I can't even tell you all how annoying it was to have to plug it in every 1-2 hours so it wouldn't hit the Low battery warning, 5th gen touch and IPad 2 are much better though. It's like having a laptop that has perpetual 1 hour battery life and having to plug it in after what feels like 30 min or 1 hour just to do your work. It would be even worse with a video game because you could de if the battery goes out.

[quote name='SaraAB']If the battery life is going to be 2 hours for a video game controller and cannot be changed then they should give the user more than one charging option or include an extra battery and make it so that battery can be swapped on the fly. I have never encountered a video game controller in my life with 2 hour battery life! Nintendo used to be the king of battery life, what happened?

My Xbox 360 controller has had the same set of batteries since thanksgiving and they show no signs of quitting yet, I have really amazing rechargable batteries! I actually like AA battery controllers because I can use my Rechargables that all use the same charger and I can swap batteries when I need more power and not have to dig for a cord or look for an outlet.

I can see it being very annoying to take the cable out of the cradle and plug it in, but I can't see the plug it in elsewhere situation working for my setup. I have limited outlets in my room and as you might guess, they are all full, all my power strips are full of wall wart chargers that I use every single day so I can't move them ( and I have 3 at least 8 outlets each power strips) One more device that needs to be charged constantly would probably put more over the edge right now especially if its another huge power brick. I would probably end up just perpetually plugging this thing into the console with a USB cord and using it wired since I sit directly in front of my TV when I play. Glad to hear it uses USB mini though because that means I already have the cables to hook it up to the console.

I had an iPod touch 4th gen, I can't even tell you all how annoying it was to have to plug it in every 1-2 hours so it wouldn't hit the Low battery warning, 5th gen touch and IPad 2 are much better though. It's like having a laptop that has perpetual 1 hour battery life and having to plug it in after what feels like 30 min or 1 hour just to do your work. It would be even worse with a video game because you could de if the battery goes out.[/QUOTE]

First off, I don't own one (as everyone knows) but I've READ here and elsewhere that the battery compartment is bigger than the battery plugged into it. That implies that they're going to try to sell people a bigger battery for some rip-off rate. Assuming that there isn't some proprietary part in is, maybe a 3rd party will come along and solve this problem.

[quote name='Blaster man']First off, I don't own one (as everyone knows) but I've READ here and elsewhere that the battery compartment is bigger than the battery plugged into it. That implies that they're going to try to sell people a bigger battery for some rip-off rate. Assuming that there isn't some proprietary part in is, maybe a 3rd party will come along and solve this problem.[/QUOTE]

I hear that too. I believe they originally planned for a larger battery for the gamepad, but later lowered the capacity of it to save money and increase their profits (or reduce their losses, if you believe the claims by some that they actually lose money on each console sold). Seems like Nintendo has no qualms about cutting corners all over the place just to keep their margins up, which is a shame because it permanently affected this console's future viability.

[quote name='SaraAB']I guarantee you in 2-3 years we will all be wanting a Wii U system unless something drastic happens. [/QUOTE]

I can guarantee you that in 2-3 years I still will not want nor buy a Wii U.

[quote name='SaraAB']I guarantee you in 2-3 years we will all be wanting a Wii U system unless something drastic happens. I don't remember a system personally that had a steady stream of good games come out in the 3-8 month period after launch. My guess is that they will have a couple killer titles out by the holiday season, but we have a long way till the holiday season.[/QUOTE]

Why do nintendo fans think that games made by nintendo are desired by all people who play video games? Nintendo exclusive games didnt help them during the N64 era, or the Gamecube era. The fact that the wii caught lightning in a bottle doesnt change the fact that nintendo exclusives are NOT as popular as you consider them to be.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Why do nintendo fans think that games made by nintendo are desired by all people who play video games? Nintendo exclusive games didnt help them during the N64 era, or the Gamecube era. The fact that the wii caught lightning in a bottle doesnt change the fact that nintendo exclusives are NOT as popular as you consider them to be.[/QUOTE]

let's be honest here wii only what it was and sold tons thanks to the motion controller and non gamers buying it. It was not like long time gamers just out of the blue got into nintendo systems. Most people i know that got a wii that are not long time gamers only got it because it was motion controller and was the hot thing and they now don't even play the thing. The wii u sales os proving that to be true. I would not be shocked if nintendo becomes software only for home systems and only make hand held systems.

I am sure I will want a Wii U in maybe 3-4 years when all the games are out and they improve the storage of the console and battery life of the tablet. I assume in a couple years when the price comes down they will include a better battery in the tablet. The ipad 2 can last for a very very long time even when doing the most battery draining of activities and it is even thinner than the Gamepad and has a bigger Screen than the gamepad so I know better battery life can be achieved for the Wii U tablet its just that Nintendo cut corners when they were producing this thing. I can tell you from experience that when something has a 2 hour battery life it really feels like 30 min or an hour of battery life. Also we should have the option to turn off the game pad in every game and just use it as a regular controller to save battery life, I don't own one but I am sure the second screen is not needed in every game. If the screen is off the battery would last for a very long time. The pro controller should also be supported by every game.

Another thing is I would not want to use the TVii thing or use the pad as a remote which are features of the console that have been touted over and over again if I have to constantly make sure the thing is is plugged in so it doesn't die. The battery life means that I would be using the console only for games and ignoring the other features.

From what I see people buy Nintendo games for Nintendo consoles and people buy the console to buy the exclusive games.

[quote name='SaraAB']
Another thing is I would not want to use the TVii thing or use the pad as a remote which are features of the console that have been touted over and over again if I have to constantly make sure the thing is is plugged in so it doesn't die. The battery life means that I would be using the console only for games and ignoring the other features.[/QUOTE]

Except that all of that is negated by the existence of the cradle. You can use it to find programs and switch your TV to those (TVii is really kind of neat) and then put it back on the cradle. Problem solved.

The battery life is more of an issue for long periods of gaming. For the other features, it is not an issue at all. It is like you are trying to find bad things to say about it (despite, as you admit, not even having one to see how it actually works).

[quote name='Deader2818']I dont even see what the issue with that is, lol[/QUOTE]

They were handing this out at PAX. It is very tone deaf to an audience that knows the Wii U.

Maybe that flyer works at TRU, but not PAX.

[quote name='foltzie']They were handing this out at PAX. It is very tone deaf to an audience that knows the Wii U.

Maybe that flyer works at TRU, but not PAX.[/QUOTE]

Seems like Kotatu just trying to make something out of nothing, as they always do.

[quote name='Deader2818']Seems like Kotatu just trying to make something out of nothing, as they always do.[/QUOTE]

Kotaku didn't create the flyer. I just happen to concur with the "WTF Nintendo?" tone of the article.

I type this as a happy Wii U owner.

No, but Kotaku loves to take something like this and make it out to be bigger then it really is.

Look how stupid this last line is

"But strangely, it seems like they left "GameCube game compatibility" off that list. Now why would they do that? "

I dunno, maybe because if you buy a new Wii right now, it can't play GameCube games?

Really, its just a non-story.

[quote name='foltzie']Sigh: http://kotaku.com/5992182/nintendos-efforts-to-explain-the-wii-u-just-took-a-turn-for-the-absurd[/QUOTE]

The top comments are pretty good:
" get back to being real video game journalists"
" It's a failure because it's done better than the 360 and nearly as well as the PS3 (so far)?"
" I think this will probably be my "main" console in the future. It makes a great centerpiece for the average entertainment center."
"How is this at all absurd?"
"The Wii hasn't been able to play GameCube games for a while now."

[quote name='io']Except that all of that is negated by the existence of the cradle. You can use it to find programs and switch your TV to those (TVii is really kind of neat) and then put it back on the cradle. Problem solved.

The battery life is more of an issue for long periods of gaming. For the other features, it is not an issue at all. It is like you are trying to find bad things to say about it (despite, as you admit, not even having one to see how it actually works).[/QUOTE]

So the controller for the video game system you purchased does not have a battery issue unless you play video games on it. Makes sense.

[quote name='Deader2818']No, but Kotaku loves to take something like this and make it out to be bigger then it really is.

Look how stupid this last line is

"But strangely, it seems like they left "GameCube game compatibility" off that list. Now why would they do that? "

I dunno, maybe because if you buy a new Wii right now, it can't play GameCube games?

Really, its just a non-story.[/QUOTE]

It's a comparison between consoles then they leave out features of one of the consoles. That's the point. Why even have a comparison like this if you are going to omit anything on the Wii not on the Wii U?

I happen to agree with those people that think this is already dumb in general. I mean, a lot of those features are NOT selling points and most people aren't going to use them often. I have a receiver hooked up to my tv. Can the Wii U turn that on and change the input from my cable box to a different HDMI?

BTW what Exactly does the "U" stand for? Is it "u" as in "you" as in "you will play this by yourself since there's only one gamepad"?

Anyway, I think the implied point of the article is that this flyer kind of sucks and Nintendo is still doing a terrible job explaining this to people. My niece who is a gamer told me that she saw in a mag (the one gamestop gives out with membership - it's name escapes me right now) that Nintendo has a new "handheld" console. This was a month or two ago she told me this. She hadn't heard anything about it until she saw it in the mag and then she thought it was a handheld console! I had to explain to her what it was.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Blaster man']It's a comparison between consoles then they leave out features of one of the consoles. That's the point. Why even have a comparison like this if you are going to omit anything on the Wii not on the Wii U?[/QUOTE]

They left out the GCN features of the Wii, but the currently available model of the Wii does not have GCN features, so it is actually a reasonable comparison to make, but an awful place to do so.

I'll reiterate that this flyer is fine at a big box retailer, but tone deaf at best, condescending at worst for it to be a handout at PAX.

I dont think Nintendo has anyone focusing on the details.

[quote name='foltzie']They left out the GCN features of the Wii, but the currently available model of the Wii does not have GCN features, so it is actually a reasonable comparison to make, but an awful place to do so.

I'll reiterate that this flyer is fine at a big box retailer, but tone deaf at best, condescending at worst for it to be a handout at PAX.

I dont think Nintendo has anyone focusing on the details.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about that Wii mini? Isn't that Canadian only? If the current US version of the Wii doesn't have GameCube support then I had no idea of that.

I still think they needed a Super Bowl ad.

[quote name='Blaster man']Are you talking about that Wii mini? Isn't that Canadian only? If the current US version of the Wii doesn't have GameCube support then I had no idea of that.

I still think they needed a Super Bowl ad.[/QUOTE]

They dropped GCN support since they started shipping them with the boxes that depicted them horizontal. I think this was around NSMB Wii? It's been awhile now.

[quote name='Blaster man']I still think they needed a Super Bowl ad.[/QUOTE]

I concur, Nintendo is a brand right on the mark for the kind of brand building one can do with a Superbowl advertisement.

Although, the current ads are 90s schlock.

With great ads like this, you can see why no one knows what the Wii U is. It almost looks like it could be an ad for the iPad the way they show it. Oh look, I do stuff with the "wiiPad" then it shows up on screen. It doesn't even show that it's a console until the last second and I bet most people watching that would think it's a peripheral for the Wii. Nothing in this commercial says "this is a new console".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dbGJieRaH0

Yeah, I guess besides the point that it says "All new"

Honestly, i guess Nintendo should pander down since sadly, most people in this day and age are total fucking morons.

You should look up the PS3 launch commercials though. Those make no fucking since what so ever.

[quote name='Deader2818']Yeah, I guess besides the point that it says "All new"

Honestly, i guess Nintendo should pander down since sadly, most people in this day and age are total fucking morons.

You should look up the PS3 launch commercials though. Those make no fucking since what so ever.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree about the PS3 commercials. The main difference is that I believe they called it the "Playstation 3" and not the "Playstation 2 U". If they called this the Wii 2 or the Super Wii anywhere in the commercial it would have made sense to most people. The thing is, we know about this stuff but most people don't follow these things that closely.

Really, I guess Nintendo should just say in its commercials, "Its the Wii, in HD"

But then people might not know what HD is. fuck this is hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back