Wii U Price drop Sept. 20th/Pre-Order Now

Cindaddy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Price drop September 20th to $299 for deluxe. Nintendo calls this a "limited edition" bundle.

Bundle includes:
  • Zelda Windwaker HD digital download
  • Free Hyrule Historia Book (Digital)
  • Gamepad is Zelda themed
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:23041]

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/372742703701696512/photo/1

*Bundle does not include Nintendoland. It is NOT Gamestop exclusive.

GS Pre-Order:Here

Best Buy Pre-Order http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Wii+U+Deluxe+-+The+Legend+of+Zelda%3A+The+Wind+Waker+Bundle/1654001.p?id=1219058301134&skuId=1654001&st=zelda%20wii%20u%20bundle&cp=1&lp=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! Pokemon X/Y is a day one buy for me, but I'm start enough to know most of it is targeted at kids. Still a great series though, IMO.
Hey man, nothing wrong with enjoying a game just because it's targeted at children. I play games with my kids and watch their TV shows and enjoy a fair amount of them. That said, my comment was more along the lines of, people like these games and are embarrassed that Nintendo targets them at kids.

Speaking of the 2DS....have the decided to give up on portability? It's clearly a product for children and they don't have pockets that large. It's one thing to carry an iPad or something the size of a 2DS in your carry-on luggage on a plane or bring it in the car but kids bring their DS's in their pocket to a variety of places that they would never carry an iPad. Good luck fitting this into your pocket.

LOL.  They held the price of the Basic Wii U at $299.  I can't believe the 2DS cost that much, either.  They overpriced ANOTHER system.  That's a $99 item right there.

What a joke, a grossly outdated system that is less powerful than the 8 years old ps3/360 and with much less games selling for $300, while ps3/360 will be $200 and ps4/xbone at $400. If Nintendo's lucky, maybe it will be enough to raise Wii-U's abysmal monthly sales from ~10k to ~20k temporarily.
Wii U has been around 30K, which is pretty bad, so you don't need the extra hyperbole.

Agreed that it won't change much. It will be like the various Gamecube bundles back in the day that gave it a small bump to the Nintendo enthusiasts and at least gave them a marketable strategy to 'attempt' to rally behind.

Those old systems, with quality bundles, will go nuts - as well as the new systems already blowing up in preorder popularity. This is holiday 2 of Wii U, yet holiday what, 8 of the 360 has a much better lineup this fall even launching a new system? That's just sad to be honest. Even the few games Wii U has a version of won't be purchased by it's owner base. The few multiconsole owners will get the 360 or PS3 versions to actually play against someone online, and the Wii U only owners will buy Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, and Sonic - and ignore everything else.

Expect Ubi Soft to formally pull support in January.

They finally realized that the 3D effect was nothing more than a gimmick. Shame they bet the house that for the 3DS, just like they bet everything on the gamepad to move the Wii U. When will Nintendo learn, gimmicks aren't enough to move hardware and games?
Considering how much the 3DS is dominating, your comment just looks stupid, lol.

Considering how much the 3DS is dominating, your comment just looks stupid, lol.
It's doing alright no doubt but "dominating" what? Who's the competition? JUST the Vita? The cheaper DSi? The iPhone? Haha! You don't want to compare iPhone sales from a single month again LTD sales of the 3DS...trust me.

Bought my son a WiiU deluxe at launch so I'm not a nintendo hater.  I agree that $100 price drop was necessary.  If the WiiU were just not selling well (as was the case with the 3DS) that would be one thing, but it isn't selling at all and the publishers are bailing.  Just bumping sales a bit is not what is needed to save the system.  Nintendo needed to do a mild fire sale to push the systems out.  

The logic that "we can't lose any more money on each system sold" is irrelevant because it is based on the flawed assumption that the systems will sell at some point.  That's not going to happen if publishers aren't willing to make games.

It's doing alright no doubt but "dominating" what? Who's the competition? JUST the Vita? The cheaper DSi? The iPhone? Haha! You don't want to compare iPhone sales from a single month again LTD sales of the 3DS...trust me.
Check out Japan numbers. It and its games are out selling everything in Japan.

And no, just stop trying to compare a gaming system to phones and tablets.

Check out Japan numbers. It and its games are out selling everything in Japan.

And no, just stop trying to compare a gaming system to phones and tablets.
I looked at the last published numbers a few days ago and previously posted my thoughts on the Nintendo boards. The jump in sales were only about 500k from the Q2 numbers of 2012 and I don't think it's accurate to say that one quarter is a trend when Animal Crossing was released at that time. Also, if you look at the YoY sales of the 3DS, they declined significantly because the XL is out now which is cannibalizing a portion of those sales.

my prediction for next year:

Nintendo management: "No one bought a 2DS because they want to pay more!" Much like this which simply shows that they don't understand their customers:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/423771/iwata-wii-u-basic-model-sales-show-price-isnt-the-issue/

waker-b.jpg

^Enlarged stock photo. Shows the Hyrule Historia is a digital download...

I looked at the last published numbers a few days ago and previously posted my thoughts on the Nintendo boards. The jump in sales were only about 500k from the Q2 numbers of 2012 and I don't think it's accurate to say that one quarter is a trend when Animal Crossing was released at that time. Also, if you look at the YoY sales of the 3DS, they declined significantly because the XL is out now which is cannibalizing a portion of those sales.

my prediction for next year:

Nintendo management: "No one bought a 2DS because they want to pay more!" Much like this which simply shows that they don't understand their customers:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/423771/iwata-wii-u-basic-model-sales-show-price-isnt-the-issue/
Why would you count the 3ds and 3ds XL as separate numbers?

2DS?! I so would have bought a 2DS if it was released a year ago, instead of my 3DS XL. 

I never cared for 3D of the 3DS.  I leave it off on my 3DS XL.

Somebody here called the 2DS a "Frakenstein" of a handheld. 

If I knew how. I so would take the GBA SP's cartridge slot and somehow add it to this 2DS.  In order to play ever single GB/GBC/GBA/DS GBA slot accessory, all in one handheld.

Realistically. I'll hold off on the 2DS until the 2DS XL or tv output is available. 

Edit: I so would get that Zelda Wii U bundle.  I have the Hyrule Historia book already and Windwaker on Gamecube, so I feel less inclined to make this a day one purchase.

So I guess the general consensus is the 3DS and Wii U are total pieces of shit that should be sold for $50 Bucks each and Nintendo should be folding in a few years?

Why would you count the 3ds and 3ds XL as separate numbers?
There's 2 different products. 3DS and 3DS XL. While they're both the same product line, they're different SKU's. The reason it's important when looking at sales figures in financial reports is because new products often cannibalize the old product's sales. So you might here some phone sold 10 million units last quarter but the previous model of phone sold a lot less because the new one is out. In other words, that new product didn't increase over-all sales, it simply shifted sales from one unit to another. How much of the 500k sales is due to Animal Crossing is really all we need to know. I'd guess a large portion of them because really, 500k sales isn't that much.

I'm confused by the statement above. Last I checked the 3DS and XL are one of the same. How is one hurting the sales of the other? They are counted as one for sales purposes.

Also, I thought as of July 2013 3DS YOY was up 14%.

There's 2 different products. 3DS and 3DS XL. While they're both the same product line, they're different SKU's. The reason it's important when looking at sales figures in financial reports is because new products often cannibalize the old product's sales. So you might here some phone sold 10 million units last quarter but the previous model of phone sold a lot less because the new one is out. In other words, that new product didn't increase over-all sales, it simply shifted sales from one unit to another. How much of the 500k sales is due to Animal Crossing is really all we need to know. I'd guess a large portion of them because really, 500k sales isn't that much.
Whenever NPD or Nintendo PR reports 3DS numbers, it's the entire platform and all the models. It will be the same with this.

I'm confused by the statement above. Last I checked the 3DS and XL are one of the same. How is one hurting the sales of the other? They are counted as one for sales purposes.

Also, I thought as of July 2013 3DS YOY was up 14%.
Are the iPad Mini and iPad one and the same? Investors want growth and if you offset sales by one unit to another, that is not as much growth as may initially appear.

No idea about July specifically. I'm talking about their last published quarterly results.

edit:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/130731e.pdf

If you have published documents showing figures from July link them and I'll be happy to read through it.

I was disappointed at first when i saw this news due to me picking up a Zombie U bundle after E3 with all the cool games coming out.

However, after seeing that the book and game are digital, and there aren't any extras like I got in the Zombie U bundle and that the Zelda gamepad isn't all the impressive (just some runes/logo stickers on it? c'mon now) I feel better. Cool box though!

Nah, I don't agree with this. I absolutely love my 3DS and my Wii U will get more attention from me this fall/winter with the cool games coming out.

So I guess the general consensus is the 3DS and Wii U are total pieces of shit that should be sold for $50 Bucks each and Nintendo should be folding in a few years?

Are the iPad Mini and iPad one and the same? Investors want growth and if you offset sales by one unit to another, that is not as much growth as may initially appear.
Different industries track their products differently. In gaming you don't list every special edition SKU or product separately. Each one of these products is treated as the same unit as stated above by Hollywood.

wtf are you talking about? no one in this said anything close to that. stop being so defensive.

So.... $50 higher than MSRP or am I missing something?
I'd watch out pre-ordering that and assuming that GS will lower the price giving their BS with Xenoblade.

Different industries track their products differently. In gaming you don't list every special edition SKU or product separately. Each one of these products is treated as the same unit as stated above by Hollywood.
Not true. It's broken down in their quarterly statement that I linked. That's how I knew that 3DS sales fell YoY.

The Wind Waker Wii U Bundle is $299.

Also the Wind Waker game itself is apparently $49.99 afterall so those who preordered with amazon might want to cancel.

I'd watch out pre-ordering that and assuming that GS will lower the price giving their BS with Xenoblade.

Not true. It's broken down in their quarterly statement that I linked. That's how I knew that 3DS sales fell YoY.
Here you go... Apples latest trend. They don't report separate sales figures anymore. Happy?

EDIT: And here's a direct quote from your link "During the three months ended June 30, 2013, for “Nintendo 3DS (3DS and 3DS XL)".

Ditto

Like everyone else I am only tempted by the Zelda controller hahah
Lol me too and I know I'll probably buy one even though I already have a wii u. Yep just stamp sucker across my forehead :p at least I have tons of credit at GS and both ps4 & xbox one paid off already. I'll trade in my old wii u the next time there is a good promo going on or I'll see if one of my friends wants to buy it off me.

Ugg frustrating that Nintendo can only seem to push this system with wind waker a 10 year old game make a few tweaks and slap a 50 dollar price tag. Nintendo did say software pushes hardware but this won't be good enough. Love my 3DS but Nintendo really have drop the ball with third party software since the N64 and it has only gotten worse and worse. They need to make a system that can out perform the PS5 or Xbox whatever but with the Nintendo magic but that will never happen.

Here you go... Apples latest trend. They don't report separate sales figures anymore. Happy?

EDIT: And here's a direct quote from your link "During the three months ended June 30, 2013, for “Nintendo 3DS (3DS and 3DS XL)".
That's not exactly the kind of "document" I was referring to but it doesn't really matter because Nintendo breaks it down and you can see that 3DS sales declined YoY. I'm assuming that the XL is more profitable so it would be a net positive for them in the end but who knows if it's actually a more profitable product.

Gamestop will run a Wii trade-in promo to go with this. Double credit or some such.
I would consider that....IF I could get the fucking downloads off the Wii first...what a terrible transfer system they have.

1. Arthur Gies ‏@aegies 4m
    "Nintendo: Our account system is kind of dildos TM"

Am I the only one that doesn't like the Zelda controller? I think I'd prefer just plain black. $50 price drop is not enough.

Am I the only one that doesn't like the Zelda controller? I think I'd prefer just plain black. $50 price drop is not enough.
Probably.

And they'll still have the standard deluxe bundle with Nintendo Land at the same price point for those that want a black controller.

What a joke, a grossly outdated system that is less powerful than the 8 years old ps3/360 and with much less games selling for $300, while ps3/360 will be $200 and ps4/xbone at $400. If Nintendo's lucky, maybe it will be enough to raise Wii-U's abysmal monthly sales from ~10k to ~20k temporarily.
Are you stupid? Wii U is obviously more powerful than current gen.

yeah i dont like the design either. its ugly as hell, but i do think $299 is a good price for the bundle even with the lame digital game & book.

I would of bought it day one if it included physical copies of Windwaker and the artbook to go with the special Zelda Wii U pad. Right now the controller is the only selling point to me if its really limited. At this point I'd rather wait for Black Friday to see if its still available with gift cards or an extra game.

As far as the 2Ds...its like a joke gone wrong. I bet there are going to be a lot of confused soccer moms out there.

Nope, I don't think it's all that great either. It's just a couple of decals they slapped on the black one. Big Deal.

bread's done
Back