Wii U Price drop Sept. 20th/Pre-Order Now

Cindaddy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Price drop September 20th to $299 for deluxe. Nintendo calls this a "limited edition" bundle.

Bundle includes:
  • Zelda Windwaker HD digital download
  • Free Hyrule Historia Book (Digital)
  • Gamepad is Zelda themed
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:23041]

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/372742703701696512/photo/1

*Bundle does not include Nintendoland. It is NOT Gamestop exclusive.

GS Pre-Order:Here

Best Buy Pre-Order http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Wii+U+Deluxe+-+The+Legend+of+Zelda%3A+The+Wind+Waker+Bundle/1654001.p?id=1219058301134&skuId=1654001&st=zelda%20wii%20u%20bundle&cp=1&lp=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you stupid? Wii U is obviously more powerful than current gen.
Actually, it's not. At least not in all of the critical areas. I've owned one since launch and while it has some good exclusives, multi-platform games are pretty bad with the WiiU versions typically having significant performance problems.

I was pleasently surprised that Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze will be only $49.99 although I have it preordered from newegg for $52.99 after promo code. I wonder if they would adjust the price accordingly and make it $4x.xx. 

So using Blasters logic, each sku for PS3 and 360 should be counted different? When they say that they have sold "75 million units" they are just feeding us BS and should be giving us numbers for each sku? (Fat, elite, slim, super slim, etc)

Actually, it's not. At least not in all of the critical areas. I've owned one since launch and while it has some good exclusives, multi-platform games are pretty bad with the WiiU versions typically having significant performance problems.
Thats due to bad porting. Arkham City and Splinter Cell already show that the Wii U graphics are better than that of PS3 and 360. Its not as good as Ps4 and Xone, but to say its worse than PS3 and 360 is just a flat out lie.

For ports yeah, it can be a bit messy. A game built from the ground up for Wii U shows its potential.

Thats due to bad porting. Arkham City and Splinter Cell already show that the Wii U graphics are better than that of PS3 and 360. Its not as good as Ps4 and Xone, but to say its worse than PS3 and 360 is just a flat out lie.
Whether or not it's worse, it's basically parity with 8 year old systems overall, which isn't good. The poor ports and issues with versions are a result of Nintendo going with a low clockspeed processor with few cores. The fact it's even in the same bracket as 8 year old systems isn't a discussion that should even be had.

Man, there is a lot of stupidity flying around this thread. I will not even address the guy trying to suggest that 3DS sales should be counted as separate from 3DX-XL sales.

Just because you have played games where the Wii U version was inferior to the current gen systems doesn't mean that the system is less powerful. On paper the Wii U specs are fundamentally more powerful than current gen, you can't really argue that.

Slightly back on topic, I've had my system since launch and I don't have any regrets. It is a bummer that a lot of the titles I was looking forward to got delayed, resulting in a really slow release schedule. That Zelda bundle is pretty sweet, though. I don't feel entitled to it, but I think it would be nice if Nintendo offered us early adopters a little something to make up for a pretty rocky first year.

If I didn't already have a Wii U, that Zelda bundle would be mine.

What a joke, a grossly outdated system that is less powerful than the 8 years old ps3/360 and with much less games selling for $300, while ps3/360 will be $200 and ps4/xbone at $400. If Nintendo's lucky, maybe it will be enough to raise Wii-U's abysmal monthly sales from ~10k to ~20k temporarily.
The only joke here is this incredibly ignorant post.

Wii U is not less powerful than the PS360.

2 above you. I'd think waiting for another 50 off is good but if you can sell the Zelda pack in then it would be worth a purchase...except someone here just reported that Zelda is a code and here I thought Nintendoland was the code and Zelda was a physical disk??

Speaking of the 2DS:
Nintendo: "haha you guys are right, 3D is a gimmick!"
Oh haha I missed that sorry. I was just waiting for the "I told you so," posts but I agree, I rather wait for another gift card bonus offer. With the next gen consoles coming out though, I feel like the Wii U is going to get buried.

If I didn't already have a Wii U, that Zelda bundle would be mine.

The only joke here is this incredibly ignorant post.

Wii U is not less powerful than the PS360.

I would hope that with technology we wouldn't be having this type of discussion on something released in 2013 versus something released in 2005. The fact that we are, because very little stands out as being more powerful is strengthening the argument not refuting it.

I skipped past that 2DS video because I was sure it was just a joke. Just when I think Nintendo can't get any more stupid, they go and make a 2DS that plays 3DS games but in 2D. "That surely won't confuse parents that are buying this for our target demographic. It's not like they had trouble figuring out what the Wii U was."

I skipped past that 2DS video because I was sure it was just a joke. Just when I think Nintendo can't get any more stupid, they go and make a 2DS that plays 3DS games but in 2D. "That surely won't confuse parents that are buying this for our target demographic. It's not like they had trouble figuring out what the Wii U was."
I think Nintendo is actually trying to confuse people at this point. Lol.

The fact that it doesn't bring a hard drive still bothers me,your going to need a hdd so the price is really $350 and up

Why is is stupid to release a 3ds without 3d (that many people turn off) at a lower price point? Seems pretty smart to me, if they had a 2DS XL I would get one of those in a heartbeat.

This is good news all around, I'm not really sure why there is any hate or dismay flying around.  Great news for those who actually like Nintendo platforms and IPs, offers a better MSRP starting point for good sales this holiday season.

Even slightly good news for Sony and Microsoft fans, as any time a competitor drops their prices on their consoles, you are more likely to see better deals in a sooner time frame.  Sony (and chain retailers) didn't have much of an incentive before being only an extra $50 bucks more than the Wii U, but now the gap has been significantly increased.

Not saying much will happen in the first 6 months post launch, but again, it will happen sooner now (or at least better bundles) because of Nintendo's change of stance.  Yes, however minor some of you may see it, Nintendo is still a competitor for sales, why else do you think Sony recently released the 12 GB PS3?

Oh, and I actually like the 2DS, as ugly as it may seem.  Goes back to the old school design of handhelds, which were the most durable.

EDIT: Gah, I hate this crappy copy and paste white hot mess... sorry

Why is is stupid to release a 3ds without 3d (that many people turn off) at a lower price point? Seems pretty smart to me, if they had a 2DS XL I would get one of those in a heartbeat.
It's a good idea, but that is absolutely positively the worst-looking handheld I've ever seen.

No chance, they will be gone before a price drop.
It's really hard to say, if Nintendo makes this the "holiday bundle" we might catch them after the Holidays. Also with the PS4 and Xbox One around the corner and with supply in question brings in more factors. One thing I do know collectors and flippers are going to eat this up.

I got my copy 10 years early. :)
Word, the real question is.... Did you ever finish it?

Wait, I don't see mention of Nintendoland. They're not including that? So they're going to put HD Wind Waker in digital form which will use how much of the 32GB of space?
I'm pretty sure I've seen that game sub $20, so I really wouldn't make that big deal of it.

Am I the only one that doesn't like the Zelda controller? I think I'd prefer just plain black. $50 price drop is not enough.
I didn't really know what to think of it but once I saw the enlarged photo it looked alright. Nothing to jump over on my side of the block.

The fact that it doesn't bring a hard drive still bothers me,your going to need a hdd so the price is really $350 and up
Well, to be fair, at least they're not charging the exorbitant prices for hard drives that Microsoft is and they've made adding on more storage much easier than Sony has.

You're more likely to have an old external hard drive kicking around than a loose 2.5" HDD kicking around.

is there a wii u ambassador program incoming? come on nintendo...
Why would there be a Wii U Ambassador program?

Well, to be fair, at least they're not charging the exorbitant prices for hard drives that Microsoft is and they've made adding on more storage much easier than Sony has.

You're more likely to have an old external hard drive kicking around than a loose 2.5" HDD kicking around.

Why would there be a Wii U Ambassador program?
the same reason there was one for the 3DS

the same reason there was one for the 3DS
3DS dropped $80 like 4 months after it came out. And even then, they didn't have to do that.

Wii U is dropping $50 to the previous basic bundle SKU with a different bundle, a holiday year later. The reasons are pretty different.

It's really hard to say, if Nintendo makes this the "holiday bundle" we might catch them after the Holidays. Also with the PS4 and Xbox One around the corner and with supply in question brings in more factors. One thing I do know collectors and flippers are going to eat this up.
Nintendo called it a "limited edition"

3DS dropped $80 like 4 months after it came out. And even then, they didn't have to do that.

Wii U is dropping $50 to the previous basic bundle SKU with a different bundle, a holiday year later. The reasons are pretty different.
damn was the 3ds price drop only 4 months after launch? lol! thats terrible. well at least the 3ds did a 180 and is actually pretty good now.

The PS3, Gamecube, Xbox, PSX, and N64 all had a price drop sooner in their respective lifespans than the Wii U did, and none of them had any sort of "Ambassador Program".
considering the program started with the 3ds. naming off systems that came out before that is pointless. lol!

Nintendo seem to be getting really desperate now Price cut on the Wi U and a rather shitty new handheld? I smell panic at Nintendo HQ. Plus a "bundle" that "includes" a digital copy of a game I cannot hold in my hands! What kind of bundle is that?!

It may confuse parents, but it is a fantastic idea. The 3D is really only intended for 7 and over, in order to avoid damaging developing eyes. However, many kids below 7 have and want a Nintendo handheld. And the hinge isn't great for small children who tend to open and close things just because.

Both of my sons have a 3DS XL and I wish this had been out when I got them, because it would have been perfect for my younger one. No worrying about him hitting the 3D switch by accident, no hinge to wear out and break. I've had to stop him from opening and closing it at times, the hinge on his is definitely looser than my older son's or my own. And he doesn't mess with the 3D, but every so often he will bump it and it won't be clicked off - and it definitely affects battery life (yeah I know you can disable it in the settings). The only downfall would be that they would have consoles that appear different (and the 2DS definitely isn't very stylish), and anyone with multiple kids know how that works out.

Anyways, Nintendo is definitely moving forward with 3DS only games that won't work on a DS, so this is a great option if you have young children and want to get them something that plays the latest games. If not, then it is not for you. They have two different models of the 3DS for those people.

The PS3, Gamecube, Xbox, PSX, and N64 all had a price drop sooner in their respective lifespans than the Wii U did, and none of them had any sort of "Ambassador Program".
Yeah, the PSX dropped $100 in less than a year, but no one was that upset then (at least from what I remember) and didn't clamor for some sort of compensation. You got to play the latest games 8 months before everyone else, that was your Ambassador Program.

EDIT: Actually, here is a better link for other systems as well.

Nintendo seem to be getting really desperate now Price cut on the Wi U and a rather shitty new handheld? I smell panic at Nintendo HQ. Plus a "bundle" that "includes" a digital copy of a game I cannot hold in my hands! What kind of bundle is that?!
It isn't a shitty handheld at all. It is them recognizing that their current console isn't ideal for a sizable audience of their fans.

A price cut for the WiiU a year after it came out, shortly before two other consoles get released. Yeah, crazy desperate logic there.

And some people prefer digital games. They want to turn on their console and play, not run to the store or keep track of discs or hop up every time they want to play a different game. They don't need physical keepsakes and they don't care about trading in games.

It isn't a shitty handheld at all. It is them recognizing that their current console isn't ideal for a sizable audience of their fans.

A price cut for the WiiU a year after it came out, shortly before two other consoles get released. Yeah, crazy desperate logic there.

And some people prefer digital games. They want to turn on their console and play, not run to the store or keep track of discs or hop up every time they want to play a different game. They don't need physical keepsakes and they don't care about trading in games.
^ battered wife syndrome?

Sizeable audience? Care to elaborate? Is kids under 7 a large demographic for the handheld gaming industry? I don't mind the idea but I think the set up is awkward at best. The might as well just make a system that plays 3DS/DS games without the "Double Screen" aspect. Toggle screens with select or something.

You could argue that the price cut should have come sooner. They may have saved face by waiting it out a few months but all it did was stall sales. You can't argue that the sales for the Wii U were anything but sad. That being said had they sold at a respectable rate this price cut would not have happened.

Lastly you might be right about people wanting physical items but you don't create a "Limited/Collector's" bundle for that type of an audience now do you?

I've seen the term "limited edition" get thrown around a lot, unless I have a concrete number of units that phrase means jack shit to me.
You're right. The Pink 3DS XL was a "Limited Edition" and we all know there was nothing limited about that.

Everybody knows the GC version of Wind Waker (original print run not GH) currently sells on the grey market for $50 or more, right?

Oooooh it's so much cheaper than the 3DS! A whole $40.00, the cost of a single game!" Wow, what brilliant strategy. Make a console that is no longer portable, removes the key feature that it launched with, and still overcharge for it.

2DS just like the Wii U making it confusing and horrible naming.

Hi excuse me sir, I'm looking for Nintendo 2ds games for my son."
"Well yes, they're right over there."
"Um no, those all say 3ds."
"yup, the Nintendo 2ds plays 3ds games."
"Oh great! So were do I find the 2ds only games?"

I've seen the term "limited edition" get thrown around a lot, unless I have a concrete number of units that phrase means jack shit to me.
Except Nintendo does have a history of making hardware bundle limited, the Zelda, Animal Crossing, and FE 3DS are very limited. In addition, the largest internet retailer in the country will not be carrying it.

the 3d in the 3ds adds nothing anyway so a 2ds is fine with me (god that thing is ugly though). that zelda bundle isnt that great imo as i think a wii u is worth around 250$ anyway so i wouldnt feel like im saving much on that overpriced console so ill wait more. too bad zelda is a dlc code as nintendo is still beind when it comes to hard drive space smh

bread's done
Back