Wii U Price drop Sept. 20th/Pre-Order Now

Cindaddy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Price drop September 20th to $299 for deluxe. Nintendo calls this a "limited edition" bundle.

Bundle includes:
  • Zelda Windwaker HD digital download
  • Free Hyrule Historia Book (Digital)
  • Gamepad is Zelda themed
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:23041]

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/372742703701696512/photo/1

*Bundle does not include Nintendoland. It is NOT Gamestop exclusive.

GS Pre-Order:Here

Best Buy Pre-Order http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Wii+U+Deluxe+-+The+Legend+of+Zelda%3A+The+Wind+Waker+Bundle/1654001.p?id=1219058301134&skuId=1654001&st=zelda%20wii%20u%20bundle&cp=1&lp=1

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, if Nintendo games aren't your thing, that's cool, and I can respect that. But for those who know how immensely fun Nintendo games are, and has yet to experience the Wii U, you really don't know what you're missing! It's one of those consoles you buy and AFTER owning it a month you think, why didn't I buy this a long time ago? There's no reason to say $299 isn't a good enough price. This is as good as it gets, folks.
Even if they are your thing, they're aren't enough of them to justify owning a Nintendo console anymore since they get pretty much jack shit from third parties--and anything they do get will just be inferior ports of PS4/X1 games going forward.

One has to REALLY love Nintendo games to buy a Nintendo console for $300 these days. And by that I mean love all their games and franchies, and not just the mainline Mario, Metroid and Zelda games that are lucky to get one or two entries a generation.

I mean obviously, the Wii U and all of their hardware will appeal to their diehard fans. They did little with the Wii, and even less so far with the Wii U, to get the rest of us gamers interested in it.

Wind Waker is a great game, but it's a port and I don't replay games. Huge waste of time when I can't even keep up with new releases. A new Zelda would be huge for me--especially with adult Link, realistic graphic style etc. A Mario game is coming, but it's just a sequel to the 3DS one that I liked but didn't have the impact of a Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Galaxy for me. No Metroid has been mentioned. I don't care for Pikmin, Mario Kart, and the other stuff out and coming out.

Price isn't an issue really, there's just not enough games that interest me personally to buy a Wii U at any price. And I don't see that changing. I can get plenty of a Nintendo franchise fix on my 3DS Xl that was much cheaper at the $160 I paid for it, and gets decent third party support.

Hey don't you badmouth crayons
Now you're just being ignorant. The majority of the Nintendo fanbase is in their late 20s and 30s. The majority of PS and Xbox fanbase are teenagers. FACT. So you can lie all you want, say Wii U is for kids, and keep bolstering your teenage ego to feel like a man. Doesn't make you one. Do you REALLY think a man is defined by what games he plays? If so, you're even more of a child than your ignorance tells. You think you sound cool whenever you say Nintendo is for kids. You know what the real shame of you being such a ignorant prick is? You're missing out on the greatest games ever developed, and that's YOUR loss, not anyone else's.

People like you are like 5 year old girls playing with Barbies, screaming how everyone ELSE is a child. Grow up man, and stop being so damn ignorant.

Or you could....turn the 3D off.

nintendo-3ds-3d-slider-200p.jpg
yeah - I don't get it. My son (6) plays the 3DS all the time with the slider off. He hates the 3D effect so it's a total non-issue.

This is such awkward timing. Idk to bite or wait for black friday. I know this will pick up sales tremendously but its too close to black friday to expect big savings then.

I'd actually be tempted as i LOVE Zelda, but since Nintendo uses a pre-2000 user name policy, you can't use a Nintendo ID on another Wii U. So until they let you (if ever?) use a Nintendo ID on more than just the Wii U it was created on, i'm out on another Wii U

Don't get your hopes up....why does everyone just assume Nintendo owes its customers something for a price cut 9 months into the lifespan of a console?I don't remember folks bleating at Sony for a "ambassador program" when the Vita got a price cut the other day.
well they did keep insisting there would be no price cut. It would be a nice gesture to those who supported them through this long dry spell. Regarding vita.. with so many bundles and bargains they've had on it I think a lot of people who bought it probably are content with what they spent. The PS+ freebies help too.

Even if they are your thing, they're aren't enough of them to justify owning a Nintendo console anymore since they get pretty much jack shit from third parties--and anything they do get will just be inferior ports of PS4/X1 games going forward.
I disagree. I play all consoles, pretty much every genre and any game as long as it's good. I've got a Vita, 3DS, Wii U, PS4 and Xbox One pre ordered. And Idk, maybe it's just me and my taste leans more toward Nintendo games, but I'm more excited for the Wii U lineup than any other system I own or have pre ordered. I pre ordered 4 PS4/Xbox One games, but I have 18 pre ordered for the Wii U. And I already own 18. Granted, about half of those are in fact multiplats, but I actually think most multiplats are WAY better on the Wii U. Gamepad integration doesn't SOUND that appealing, but once you try it it's like wow, holy crap this really IS way better. And instant play on the gamepad at any time is always a plus. I don't think Wii U version of multiplat ports are inferior, on the contrary, I think they're almost always the better.

Idk, Pikmin 3 is a game that doesn't appeal to everyone. But again, I think it's one of those games that once you try it, you're just amazed at how great it is. I used to be that guy, the guy that didn't really play Nintendo games and didn't think they offered anything special. That was until I bought a 3DS, and its games were phenomenal! Games like Fire Emblem Awakening, DKC Returns, and Mario & Luigi Dream Team. So I bought a Wii U and I haven't been let down yet. Pikmin 3 was by far the funnest game I've played years- it really is THAT good. And Wonderful 101, it's my new favorite game! I never played Windwaker so the remake will be new for me. And DKC Tropical Freeze- that game looks so fun I can't even express it in words lol. I think I'd have bought a Wii U just for that game alone! And I've never played a "bad" Mario game, so 3D World should be a blast as well. Throw in Sonic Lost World (which actually looks better than the originals on the Genesis), Smash Bros 4, and Mario Kart 8, and I'd say that's a darn good library. Not to mention Bayonetta 2, Monolith Soft's X, SMT x Fire Emblem and the new Zelda U. And there's still 5+ years of unannounced exclusives coming on top of all of that.

I guess for me, it comes down to this: yes, PS and Xbox are great, and I pre ordered them both, and look forward to them. And yes, they'll get WAY more games. But nomatter how many games they get, I'll only end up buying the top 30-40 games for each console during their lifespan. The 30-40 that are REALLY worth buying. Wii U may get way LESS games, but it's top 30-40 games will be just as good as PS4 or Xbox One's, if not better (at least to me). I think the Wii U will have way less games, but the games it does get are really, really good. Quality over quantity, so to speak.

That's why I speak so highly of the system. It's just really impressed me so far.

My only problem is I wish the Zelda bundle did not include the Zelda art on the Gamepad. I'll probably end up getting the Nintendo Land version because of that, and buying Wind Waker separately.

Otherwise, good deal, if you ask me.

Edit: As for the 2DS, I already have a XL.

Otherwise, for everyone else, I can see this now causing a lot of potential confusion in the marketplace with parents. I mean, look at all the confusion the Wii U name has caused. I could see similar problems here. Parents who may not understand this is not a new system, and parents who will not understand this still plays 3DS games, even though it's called the 2DS.

Really, what it tells me is Nintendo should have just left the 3D name/tech off from the start.

I wonder if Nintendo will eventually release a "2DS  XL" as yet another model, down the road.  The original 3DS screens were way too small, which they realized and corrected with the 3DS XL.  IF the 2DS does well, it affords them another opportunity to increase hardware sales (people trading up).

My only problem is I wish the Zelda bundle did not include the Zelda art on the Gamepad. I'll probably end up getting the Nintendo Land version because of that, and buying Wind Waker separately.

Otherwise, good deal, if you ask me.

Edit: As for the 2DS, I already have a XL.

Otherwise, for everyone else, I can see this now causing a lot of potential confusion in the marketplace with parents. I mean, look at all the confusion the Wii U name has caused. I could see similar problems here. Parents who may not understand this is not a new system, and parents who will not understand this still plays 3DS games, even though it's called the 2DS.

Really, what it tells me is Nintendo should have just left the 3D name/tech off from the start.
could of called it

nintendo DS +

Nintendo 2 DS sounds likes an entire new system (what its not) wonder how many parents who got a 3ds for their kids will BUY this system thinking its a NEW SYSTEM

so seen this on a webpage...

Curiously, the 2DS is even more of a tablet-style system than it appears at first glance, as it actually features a single large screen in its center, not two separate ones. As one of their cost-cutting design measures, Nintendo reduced the number of screens in the system from two to one, and the appearance of separate screens is merely simulated by the way the case masks out the extraneous portions. This means the entire screen is by necessity a touchscreen, with the upper screen protected by a layer of plastic that sits above it. While this makes no difference for the system's normal functions

So, with the 2DS, this means Nintendo now has 5 different handheld SKUs available at retail:

1. DSi 

2. DSi XL

3 3DS (original)

4 3DS XL

5. 2DS

I'll be surprised if one or more of these SKUs is not discontinued in the next few months. Otherwise, that seems like a lot SKUs to be floating around the same time.

I disagree. I play all consoles, pretty much every genre and any game as long as it's good. I've got a Vita, 3DS, Wii U, PS4 and Xbox One pre ordered. And Idk, maybe it's just me and my taste leans more toward Nintendo games, but I'm more excited for the Wii U lineup than any other system I own or have pre ordered.
It's just a to each, their own thing as everyone has different gaming interests. Not everyone that likes the Wii U is a fanboy like some seem to imply, and not everyone who's passing on it is a fanboy of another system/hater of Nintendo. People just have different tastes and interests.

I still enjoy some Nintendo franchises, but I really only get into FPS and WRPG games these days so obviously the Wii U isn't very appealing to me. I also prefer realistic graphics, and have a much harder time getting into cartoony looking games (I also rarely watch animated movies etc.--just not my cup of tea).

I can play the occasional Nintendo game on my 3DS, and focus my next gen gaming on PS4 which will have more games I dig, true next gen graphics and all that other stuff I care about. I'll never get a Wii U as I know it would just gather dust and get sold off like my Wii did the two times I bought it as I'm just not that into Nintendo anymore. I also won't get an X1 as I just don't game enough to justify multiple consoles period--hell I'm pretty positive I spend more time on forums discussing games than playing them these days since I'm tied to a desk trying to work so many hours a day. :D

For you, Wii U will probably get the most play. Which is why it's great we have 3 consoles companies putting out hardware--the competition means everyone can find the combo of machines that gives them the mix of games they want to play.

could of called it

nintendo DS +

Nintendo 2 DS sounds likes an entire new system (what its not) wonder how many parents who got a 3ds for their kids will BUY this system thinking its a NEW SYSTEM
They should have just went the SNES route, and called it (3DS) the Super DS, or something.

So, with the 2DS, this means Nintendo now has 5 different handheld SKUs available at retail:

1. DSi

2. DSi XL

3 3DS (original)

4 3DS XL

5. 2DS

I'll be surprised if one or more of these SKUs is not discontinued in the next few months. Otherwise, that seems like a lot SKUs to be floating around the same time.
Im pretty sure that the DSi is just sitting in stores and isn't being produced anymore. I doubt that it and the XL are still in production.

Curiously, the 2DS is even more of a tablet-style system than it appears at first glance, as it actually features a single large screen in its center, not two separate ones. As one of their cost-cutting design measures, Nintendo reduced the number of screens in the system from two to one, and the appearance of separate screens is merely simulated by the way the case masks out the extraneous portions. This means the entire screen is by necessity a touchscreen, with the upper screen protected by a layer of plastic that sits above it. While this makes no difference for the system's normal functions
That blurb is already wrong, as there is physically a plastic piece separating the screens. You can clearly tell which is a touch screen and which is the display screen when you watch the product commercial on Page 1.

Now you're just being ignorant. The majority of the Nintendo fanbase is in their late 20s and 30s. The majority of PS and Xbox fanbase are teenagers. FACT. So you can lie all you want, say Wii U is for kids, and keep bolstering your teenage ego to feel like a man. Doesn't make you one. Do you REALLY think a man is defined by what games he plays? If so, you're even more of a child than your ignorance tells. You think you sound cool whenever you say Nintendo is for kids. You know what the real shame of you being such a ignorant prick is? You're missing out on the greatest games ever developed, and that's YOUR loss, not anyone else's.

People like you are like 5 year old girls playing with Barbies, screaming how everyone ELSE is a child. Grow up man, and stop being so damn ignorant.
I...think you've quoted the wrong person.

Im pretty sure that the DSi is just sitting in stores and isn't being produced anymore. I doubt that it and the XL are still in production.
Nope. At least for the moment, the DS is still in production, and being sold. Actually, the DS sale numbers are about in line with the Wii. Granted, they are both well below their peak/prime sale numbers and current #1 (3DS/XL).

Otherwise, Nintendo would have announced if the DSi and/or DSi XL were discontinued, like they did with the DS Lite, and like Sony did with the PS2.

Nope. At least for the moment, the DS is still in production, and being sold. Actually, the DS sale numbers are about in line with the Wii. Granted, they are both well below their peak/prime sale numbers and current #1 (3DS/XL).

Otherwise, Nintendo would have announced if the DSi and/or DSi XL were discontinued, like they did with the DS Lite, and like Sony did with the PS2.
I don't believe the DSiXL is still being produced. Only the DSi is listed on Nintendo's site.

Most retailer stores are not getting new shipment of DSi, so it doesn't matter.

I'm tempted to preorder this, but I think $300 is still a little to high. I think if the zelda game was Regular copy, not a digital, I would probably get it.

Id like to wonder this... Did Nintendo remove the white Wii U SKU (Or did they at least drop the price of it)? This seems weird of them to only have a black SKU. If they only have the Black SKU, Im glad I got a white one then.

But that aside, I feel like getting the Special edition of Wind Waker is the best deal. Even if it is 2 weeks later.

Id like to wonder this... Did Nintendo remove the white Wii U SKU? This seems weird of them to only have a black SKU. If they only have the Black SKU, Im glad I got a white one then.

But that aside, I feel like getting the Special edition of Wind Waker is the best deal. Even if it is 2 weeks later.
Well, seeing how the basic model has been heavily rumored to be discontinued for months now, and Nintendo mentioned nothing about the basic model during the price drop announcement, tells me the rumors are probably true.

Though, I am sure we will eventually see a white deluxe model.

Personally, I would still opt for black.

DSI and DSI XL's are no longer being produced, at least for Target/Wal-Mart though last black friday we got in a whole bunch of them for cheap. I think Nintendo is done with non-3DS models outside fo the new 2DS.

I hope AMazon carries the Zelda bundle. I'm not giving Gamestop my $.

DSI and DSI XL's are no longer being produced, at least for Target/Wal-Mart though last black friday we got in a whole bunch of them for cheap. I think Nintendo is done with non-3DS models outside fo the new 2DS.

I hope AMazon carries the Zelda bundle. I'm not giving Gamestop my $.
Unless something change in the next few weeks amazon still isn't carrying any nintendo hardware. The bundle is also gamestop exclusive.

Not a fan of the 2DS design but until I actually hold one, I won't completely shoot it down. Initially not great though. 

I hate that Zelda WW is a digital DL and NOT an actual disc. That would cost you about 10cents Nintendo.  :wall:

Going to pass on that thing like I did with the 3DS Fire Emblem, no hard copy of the game=no sale.  :nottalking:

Not a fan of the 2DS design but until I actually hold one, I won't completely shoot it down. Initially not great though.

I hate that Zelda WW is a digital DL and NOT an actual disc. That would cost you about 10cents Nintendo. :wall:

Going to pass on that thing like I did with the 3DS Fire Emblem, no hard copy of the game=no sale. :nottalking:
I am sure it's more than just 10 cents, when you include disc, box, manual, manufacturing, packaging, etc.. So, for argument sake, let's say it would be a dollar to make a physical game.

Now, let's throw a number out there, and say Nintendo will sale 100,000 Zelda bundles.

So, by going digital over physical, Nintendo will save themselves 100,000 dollars.

I wouldn't touch that 2DS with a 10-foot pole, good God that thing is ugly, overpriced and stupidly named. Much like the WiiU actually. Maybe they are afraid of making a sleek, good looking device because they think Apple will sue them so they make everything as hideous as possible?

Why announce a future-price drop anyway? That would kill present sales..oh wait that isn't really a problem for Nintendo  :bouncy:

Nintendo needs to go the way of Sega. Though Dreamcast was actually some nice hardware for it's time. Maybe go the way of Atari instead would be fair to say instead. Or just go away period.

I wouldn't touch that 2DS with a 10-foot pole, good God that thing is ugly, overpriced and stupidly named. Much like the WiiU actually. Maybe they are afraid of making a sleek, good looking device because they think Apple will sue them so they make everything as hideous as possible?

Why announce a future-price drop anyway? That would kill present sales..oh wait that isn't really a problem for Nintendo :bouncy:

Nintendo needs to go the way of Sega. Though Dreamcast was actually some nice hardware for it's time. Maybe go the way of Atari instead would be fair to say instead. Or just go away period.
Wait..that 2DS thing was real???!!!

Walmart.com

BestBuy.com

Target.com

Toysrus.com

NewEgg

Now, it looks like it is true the DSi XL is no longer available in stores (though, it is still available at Walmart.com), but the original DSi is definitely still being sold at stores. At least, it is online.

And even so, DSi or not, I have my doubts about how long Nintendo will keep 3 SKUs for the 3DS. Maybe I am wrong, but if you ask me, I think the original 3DS days are numbered.

I have ZERO intention of playing through Wind Waker again. I still have the original GC disk (which I learned today actually has a good resale value) and a PC more than capable of running Dolphin if I have the inclination.

HOWEVER, I am tempted to buy this bundle and sell the digital Wind Waker code to someone for like $40 and bring the price of getting a Wii U down to the point where I might snag one.... I see games in the future I would probably play if I had one, but strangely none of them make me feel like I have a really strong need to play them.

It says that Wind Waker is a "Full Game Download" on the box. I'd rather have a physical disc, but I suppose you could sell the Wind Waker download code.
Nintendo, at least with 3DS, typically includes the game pre-installed on the system so I think it will somehow be like this. I know it says "download" but they may be leaving that wording there just so some casuals are mistaken and connect to the web anyway, thus granting the eshop more exposure in the process

I have ZERO intention of playing through Wind Waker again. I still have the original GC disk (which I learned today actually has a good resale value) and a PC more than capable of running Dolphin if I have the inclination.

HOWEVER, I am tempted to buy this bundle and sell the digital Wind Waker code to someone for like $40 and bring the price of getting a Wii U down to the point where I might snag one.... I see games in the future I would probably play if I had one, but strangely none of them make me feel like I have a really strong need to play them.
$40 for a digital code? Dream on. Retail copies sell for $50. Plus what was stated above.

Nintendo is pushing digital games. Having said that if you buy a system with a game already pre installed maybe that would push you to get more digital games? There is something to it. A lot of people are scared of new ideas in tech but after being forced it may change their mind.

2dstablet-640x384.png

FTRS_001_imageKB_B1_R_z.jpg

Missed opportunity or testing the water for the next Nintendo portable? I think Nintendo is experimenting with the 2DS slate form factor for whatever their next handheld will be. Nintendo could had made one big screen and put black borders for the bottom screen in 3ds mode like the mock render while still having additional functionality for apps like a tablet. Even the home button looks similar to the iPad's home button. The best of both worlds?

But Nintendo really do need to get with the time if they are really serious with pushing digital.  I like steam because I can take my games with me to any PC.  I would get this bundle and give my current wii u to my nephew/niece but the need to transferring is a major roadblock and will likely just be too much trouble for me to bother. 

That said, I have no problem buying from eshop and have done so a few times.  As much as I love my game collection, it really is a pain in the butt with how much space they take.

bread's done
Back