Winter is Coming, OTT

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='eldergamer']I have a week of possible jury duty starting monday. I can get out of it no problem, at least once the get to the voire dire part.[/QUOTE]

I've never been selected for jury duty. Where I'm working now pays you for 8 hours even when you have jury duty. Not sure if it's like that at most places, but that sounds great and I would much rather convict someone of a crime than work.

I've been selected once a year or so ago but was deemed ineligible since I moved out of state (and apparently their records didn't reflect that at the time).

Got a new recommendation for ya Temp (since I just finished watching it) - Drive. Reminded me a bit of a mix between Grand Theft Auto and American Psycho. Definitely an interesting style.

Speaking of aliens. I saw a promo for that Ancient Aliens show saying a) The Mayan calendar is as accurate as an atomic clock b) Sasquatch/Yeti sightings are linked with UFO activity and they're linked somehow.

[quote name='Maklershed']Got a new recommendation for ya Temp (since I just finished watching it) - Drive. Reminded me a bit of a mix between Grand Theft Auto and American Psycho. Definitely an interesting style.[/QUOTE]

Is that the one with Ryan Gosling? My girlfriend wanted to watch that because, being a female, she loves Ryan Gosling.
The first half of it was pretty slow and then shit gets really violent very quickly. He's also really awkward in any scene that doesn't involve someone getting fucked up.

[quote name='Maklershed']Got a new recommendation for ya Temp (since I just finished watching it) - Drive. Reminded me a bit of a mix between Grand Theft Auto and American Psycho. Definitely an interesting style.[/QUOTE]

I'll give it a go.

Its pretty good if you are in a mind screwing mood. Watch it at night and really try to get into it or it just comes across lame and confusing.

I mean it's a movie involving ballet, but it isn't a movie about ballet, I wouldn't say. Yeah, there's ballet in it, but you're preoccupied with what else is going on, I feel, to ever have a moment where you think "Damn, I am watching fucking ballet right now..."

[quote name='Eviltude']I've never been selected for jury duty. Where I'm working now pays you for 8 hours even when you have jury duty. Not sure if it's like that at most places, but that sounds great and I would much rather convict someone of a crime than work.[/QUOTE]

I work second shift and was worried I'd have to go to work after attending jury duty all morning. The rules state "If there are more than 4 hours left in your shift, after your jury duty you must report to working."

Thankfully, that doesnt apply to evening and night shift people.

[quote name='darthbudge']I am thinking I want to get a PS3. Is anyone looking to sell theirs?[/QUOTE]

Ps3 is the wii man.

[quote name='maklershed']since this new one is the best one yet with the most features they should call it the max ipad[/quote]

win!

[quote name='Eviltude']Is that the one with Ryan Gosling? My girlfriend wanted to watch that because, being a female, she loves Ryan Gosling.
The first half of it was pretty slow and then shit gets really violent very quickly. He's also really awkward in any scene that doesn't involve someone getting fucked up.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes, and yes. I really loved the opening chase btw and its because the only sound was the engine and gear shifting of the car instead of a loud and horrible rock or techno track.

[quote name='Maklershed']Yes, yes, and yes. I really loved the opening chase btw and its because the only sound was the engine and gear shifting of the car instead of a loud and horrible rock or techno track.[/QUOTE]

The whole movie was an example of good music use. It knew when to play the soundtrack and when to just let the silences simmer.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Manning chose the Broncos?
Gross.[/QUOTE]

Denver was one of the least likely teams imo because they had Tebow. Sucks as I wanted the fish to get him.

[quote name='Number83']Poor Tim Tebow.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='JStryke']Denver was one of the least likely teams imo because they had Tebow. Sucks as I wanted the fish to get him.[/QUOTE]

Tebow was horrible, so I can understand the front office there wanting a legitimate QB. But if Manning wants to win another Super Bowl, I don't think Denver was the right choice. The absolute best I can see happening is a few trips to the AFC playoffs where they either (1) lose in the wildcard round or (2) lose to the Steelers/Patriots/Ravens in the 2nd/3rd playoff games.

Also, you have to wonder how much control the current coaching staff is going to give him over the already installed offensive scheme.

I know AFC West is a weak division, but so are the NFC West and AFC South (49ers/Titans). I think either of the others would've been a much better match. :whistle2:S

[quote name='Lyricsborn']So any guess as what happens to Timmy T?[/QUOTE]They will try to trade him but they will just get a low draft pick in return. Tebow sucks.

Drive is the best film of 2011, and Black Swan is excellent, and probably my favorite film of 2010.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']So any guess as what happens to Timmy T?[/QUOTE]

My guess is Jacksonville for a mid-round pick.

That or he stays in Denver and gets converted to a RB.

[quote name='Maklershed']Yes, yes, and yes. I really loved the opening chase btw and its because the only sound was the engine and gear shifting of the car instead of a loud and horrible rock or techno track.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']The whole movie was an example of good music use. It knew when to play the soundtrack and when to just let the silences simmer.[/QUOTE]

I really liked the soundtrack though.

[quote name='Eviltude']I really liked the soundtrack though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah an interesting 80s vibe. A bit of that new style too of sci-fi w/ beats (I forget what its called ... the theme for Portlandia qualifies as it).

I liked the soundtrack too (which is odd because it's FAR out of my normal music genres). It was just used well, as an accent rather than an actor.

[quote name='DT778']Dude wanted the keys to the franchise. If he wanted Superbowls than SF was the choice without question.[/QUOTE]

Nah...

If he wanted keys to the franchise, from what I read, it sounded more like the Titan's "contract for life" or whatever, where they'd guarantee him a 7 figure job in the front office when he retires.

Denver is currently a pretty bad team. Denver is also a pretty cheap team the way the reporters tell it. After spending millions to land Peyton, are they really going to spend millions to get him an offensive-line, good running back, and good receivers? I doubt it.

The dude is 36 and just had FOUR neck surgeries. FOUR. It's extremely likely he plays another 5 years at best, probably less, and then retires before he sustains irreparable damage and becomes a cripple for the rest of his life. If you're going to play for a mere 3-5 years somewhere, he should really be going the "I want another Super Bowl ring, like my brother has..." route.

And Denver will not be Super Bowl material in the AFC any time soon. I think the Pats, Ravens, Steelers and maybe even the Texans and Jets are all too much to handle. And if Oakland or San Diego get their act together? That's two more problems he has to deal with twice a year.

The other two teams seemed like much better fits, IMO.

Denver already has good receivers in Eric Decker and Demaryius Thomas and are rumored to be interested in getting Mike Wallace and Dallas Clark now that Peyton is on board. They've also got Willis McGahee, who had a great season and the best that a Denver RB has had in a long time. You don't seem to watch any of their games, so you seem to have no clue who's on that team. They've got the rest of free agency and the draft to build up the team from where it's currently at less than one week after free agency started.

Peyton passed physicals by all three teams, so he's objectively in good enough shape that all three would've signed him without any hesitation.

I'm getting ready to apply for a position within the NC Natural Science Museum. Hopefully it's not too much of a stretch to actually get excited for it.

Denver is a pretty bad team? They have a great defense, solid o line, good running back, and are going to get a wide receiver in a wide receiver heavy draft. They're a better 'team' on paper than New England. SF would have been good too. But let's not act like he signed with the Browns or Jags.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='corrosivefrost']Nah...

If he wanted keys to the franchise, from what I read, it sounded more like the Titan's "contract for life" or whatever, where they'd guarantee him a 7 figure job in the front office when he retires.

Denver is currently a pretty bad team. Denver is also a pretty cheap team the way the reporters tell it. After spending millions to land Peyton, are they really going to spend millions to get him an offensive-line, good running back, and good receivers? I doubt it.

The dude is 36 and just had FOUR neck surgeries. FOUR. It's extremely likely he plays another 5 years at best, probably less, and then retires before he sustains irreparable damage and becomes a cripple for the rest of his life. If you're going to play for a mere 3-5 years somewhere, he should really be going the "I want another Super Bowl ring, like my brother has..." route.

And Denver will not be Super Bowl material in the AFC any time soon. I think the Pats, Ravens, Steelers and maybe even the Texans and Jets are all too much to handle. And if Oakland or San Diego get their act together? That's two more problems he has to deal with twice a year.

The other two teams seemed like much better fits, IMO.[/QUOTE]He will be running that offense 100% which is something he wouldn't have in SF. For the Titans contract for life, eh, if he were to take a position like that it would be for Indy.

For the injuries part there was an article that the 49ers scheme would have been great for that. Be required to throw a lot less passes a game which will result in taking less hits.

Manning would love to emulate Elway's last years and Gore could have been his Terrell Davis. But fuck it, we'll see how it works out for him.

Also Oakland will never get it together. Davis dies and what's the first thing they do? Trade for a broken Palmer. A lot of people were saying the Raiders would be relevant again once crazy Davis died but right away they fucked up more.

edit: yeah, Denver isn't that bad of a team. Look how many wins they got with a running back throwing the ball.

[quote name='seanr1221']I was going to say something but I don't want Trakan to ban me.[/QUOTE]

Go for it. Trakan's a pussy.

Anyone here use the "lending library" for Kindle books with Prime? Is there any way to do that with the Kindle app on iPhone/iPad?

Thank god for sick days. Might end up taking one tomorrow if I still feel this way or worse when I wake up. I barely made it through tonight and it was a short shift in the fitting room. Tomorrow it's an 8 hour closing shift on carts. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back