Wipeout HD - Fury DLC Incoming

Crap this is coming out quick. I didn't realize it was coming out so soon.

The positive reviews have me interested in this game, but it looks a lot like F-Zero GX, which I didn't really care for. Are they really that much different? Is there any chance I'd still like this?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']yeah, I'd say f-zero and this are pretty different.[/QUOTE]

Can you elaborate on what makes them different?

I suppose I can sort of explain why I didn't like F-Zero. It was too much blatant trial and error and memorization. The sharp turns would come fast and furious and one wrong move would see you going from 1st to 15th place like that. As far as racing games go I liked Mario Kart (sans stupid blue shell) and Burnout 3. I felt like in those you could get a better sense of what was coming up ahead. They were lest fast, I suppose, but more fair. How is the Wipeout series in comparison to these?

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Can you elaborate on what makes them different?

I suppose I can sort of explain why I didn't like F-Zero. It was too much blatant trial and error and memorization. The sharp turns would come fast and furious and one wrong move would see you going from 1st to 15th place like that. As far as racing games go I liked Mario Kart (sans stupid blue shell) and Burnout 3. I felt like in those you could get a better sense of what was coming up ahead. They were lest fast, I suppose, but more fair. How is the Wipeout series in comparison to these?[/quote]

Wipeout is about speed and weapons while F-Zero is just about speed. There usually aren't that much sharp corners as there are in F-Zero though. The lower difficulties in Wipeout are usually more forgiving then F-Zero (slower pace, if you crash you don't go from 1 to 10th, etc).

Personally I can't wait for this game. I've been a big Wipeout fan since PS1.

I would say Wipeout's track design flows a lot better than F-Zero, which results in less failures as you can adapt and react to things on the track a bit better.

Trophy List here.

Bronze Trophies
  • Uplift - Obtain a medal for every cell in Uplift
  • Warped - Obtain a medal for every cell in Warped
  • Frenzy - Obtain a medal for every cell in Frenzy
  • Vertigo - Obtain a medal for every cell in Vertigo
  • Head Rush - Obtain a medal for every cell in Head Rush
  • Speed Freak - Obtain a medal for every cell in Speed Freak
  • Dropzone - Obtain a medal for every cell in Dropzone
  • Meltdown - Obtain a medal for every cell in Meltdown
  • Smile Please (Hidden) - Use Photo Mode to take a photo
  • Rookie Reward (Hidden) - Win any race with Pilot Assist on.
  • 1 Gold Medal won, 86 to go... (Hidden) - Obtain your first gold medal
  • Happy Accident? (Hidden) - Execute your first successful barrel roll
  • Keep Rollin' (Hidden) - Execute 100 successful barrel rolls
  • Flatland Flyer - Execute and land a successful barrel roll on Moa Therma
  • Own The Zone - Get 20 consecutive perfect zones in a single Zone Mode event
  • Double Kill - Eliminate at least two opponents in any race
  • Endurance - Finish an online 12 race tournament
  • Connected 1 - Finish 10 online races
Silver Trophies

• Campaign Legend - Obtain a gold medal for every cell in Race Campaign
  • Airbraker - Reach Zone 50 (Subsonic) in Zone Mode on any track using only airbrakes and sideshift. Motion sensor controls must be turned off.
  • Tournament Ace - Win every race of an 8 stage Racebox tournament on Skilled or Elite difficulty.
  • Connected 2 - Win 10 online races.
  • Lapped Out - Complete 99 laps in a single Racebox, Speed Lap session.
  • AG Assassin - Eliminate 50 online opponents
  • WipEout Disciple - Obtain 100,000 loyalty points for any team.
Gold Trophies

• Zone Zeus - In Zone Mode, reach Zone 75 on any track
  • Arcade Perfect - Finish 1st on all 16 tracks in Phantom class Racebox races on Elite difficulty.
  • Beat Zico - Equal or beat the lap time of 30.82 seconds on Anulpha Pass (Forward), Speed Lap, Venom using the Piranha.
  • Livery Liberation - Unlock every ship skin in the game.
Platinum Trophies

• Transcendence - Earn all the trophies in the game

[quote name='Justin42']I'm "Scared" of it because what happens in 15-20 years if I feel the need to play Wipeout HD again some random rainy day? Will I still have access to it?

There are tons of games still playable on carts and CDs from years ago. How are those Sega Channel games faring?

It just changes the whole nature of buying something. In this case you are no longer really buying anything, you're renting it for as long as Sony chooses to support authorization/etc. If Sony decides to close up shop, you could lose your "purchase".

That said, I love Wipeout and $19.99 is a VERY tempting price... I would've been fairly pissed had they tried to launch this at $40+ (for my reasons about).[/QUOTE]

Personally, anything with zero resale value is not a better deal than a retail copy, period.

I've never played a Wipeout since this is my first Playstation console, but this looks interesting. I'm more of a speed (F-zero) guy, though. Weapons in racing games don't interest me much outside of Mario Kart.

[quote name='Wipeout Trophies']Own The Zone - Get 20 consecutive perfect zones in a single Zone Mode event[/quote]

This one sounds hard... :O

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Wipeout HD video[/quote]

sabber.gif

Seems like those are just spliced together replays. It'd be cool if you could save replays to your hard drive and/or upload them to youtube. Also, am I the only one interested in trying the SIXAXIS steering for this game?

I'm pretty interested in the motion controls since the previews I've read say they're some of the best yet on the PS3. But I'd also love to play a Wipeout game with real analog sticks, since I've only played Pure on the PSP. It'll be interesting seeing which one sticks with me better.

[quote name='metaly']I'm pretty interested in the motion controls since the previews I've read say they're some of the best yet on the PS3. But I'd also love to play a Wipeout game with real analog sticks, since I've only played Pure on the PSP. It'll be interesting seeing which one sticks with me better.[/quote]

From what 1up talked about in a preview on their show a long ass time ago they stated that to really be good at the game it has to be played using the motion control steering and with a dual shock 3 since you can get feedback on your landing or turning based on the rumble.

due to that alone I bought my Dual Shock 3 a while ago.

... they stated that to really be good at the game it has to be played using the motion control steering...
Are you sure about that? I thought I read in the Eurogamer review that for any accuracy at all, the motion controls had to be turned off. The controls may even default off. I guess we will soon find out.

Naturally, since WipEout HD is a PlayStation Network game, you can play it online. Which can be a simple matter of jumping into a pre-designed race on your favourite track to race against seven other humans. Or you can design and host your own, picking from any of the race types, tracks, speed classes and so on.

Taken from threespeech.com

[quote name='RelentlessRolento'] they stated that to really be good at the game it has to be played using the motion control steering and with a dual shock 3 since you can get feedback on your landing or turning based on the rumble..[/quote]

It seems you are correct and I am wrong. The DS3 motion controls are the way to play this game. Now I will have an excuse why I am playing so poorly - I am still learning the controls.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']It's still Monday? Ugghh, Thursday is taking forever to arrive! :drool:

:lol:
[/quote]
3 days left:cold:

I think we now need to coordinate how Wipeout HD will be handled.

First off, either Strandedbrit or I will be leading the CAG nights, meaning a CAG Wipeout HD night thread will be handled by one of us.

Next, I'm betting many people will want to play this Thursday. I guarantee it will probably be over 8, so we need to figure out who should be hosting (and people who are friends with them can jump in, up to 8 slots).

Once the initial night is done, we need to decide who is willing to sacrifice SOME buddy list slots to make Wipeout HD night work every week or two. I was considering but based on my buddy list, it's just not possible for me to handle it. Someone who host has to have stable internet (meaning doesn't disconnect much and should be able to handle 8 people).

I'll be up for hosting, plus my buddy list isn't maxed out yet. My connection is decent and should be able to host 8. Not sure about thursday night though depending on size of game and ability to download on time. I'll probably play but no idea what time ....

[quote name='StrandedBrit']I'll be up for hosting, plus my buddy list isn't maxed out yet. My connection is decent and should be able to host 8. Not sure about thursday night though depending on size of game and ability to download on time. I'll probably play but no idea what time ....[/QUOTE]What I'm thinking about doing is having either Burnout or Wipeout HD this week on Thursday. Next week, we'll have Wipeout HD on Tuesday and Burnout on Thursday. Once Resistance 2 and MotorStorm 2 come out, we'll shuffle things around a bit (like MotorStorm 2 might add to one of the racing nights, and R2 will take over on Thursday in November, so racing games move on Tuesday and maybe one other day). Tuesday is wide open for now, so I'm thinking we just split Burnout and Wipeout HD up for now. Whichever day people prefer for one or the other is fine.

[quote name='smiggity']I hope it isn't in the 2-3 gb range. Anyone have any word on the size?[/quote]

Not yet. I'd be surprised at 3gb. Hoping for about 1gb, wouldn't be surprised at 2gb.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']What time are PSN games usually available to start downloading?[/quote]

Never a set time. It's usually late afternoon EST, but has sometimes come earlier and later than that. (yeah I know :whistle2:x)

Considering all the content coming out tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony drops the ball on this one. Possibly the biggest store update ever tomorrow?

Between the blog post and the PS3fanboy review, I'd take a bet that there won't be that many platinums going out for this game.

The PS3fanboy review even states that :whistle2: "Even on the easiest difficulty, we found players new to the series struggling to finish races." That's going to put off newcomers that just want to get into the game.

[quote name='smiggity']Considering all the content coming out tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony drops the ball on this one. Possibly the biggest store update ever tomorrow?[/QUOTE]I have a feeling it will be a slow update.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']Between the blog post and the PS3fanboy review, I'd take a bet that there won't be that many platinums going out for this game.

The PS3fanboy review even states that :whistle2: "Even on the easiest difficulty, we found players new to the series struggling to finish races." That's going to put off newcomers that just want to get into the game.[/quote]

yeah, but Wipeout has always been a series where a little more skill comes into play than just having the fastest machine.

I wonder how this game will be for those that are new to the series. PS3 Fanboy said it would be a little daunting, but everyone seems so hyped up for it.

To let everyone know, those who got it in Europe are reporting some crashing problems (like with GTAIV when being logged online). It seems like it might have some issues. Just wanted to make sure everyone was well aware of it.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']To let everyone know, those who got it in Europe are reporting some crashing problems (like with GTAIV when being logged online). It seems like it might have some issues. Just wanted to make sure everyone was well aware of it.[/quote]

Wack. That should never happen when it is a Sony game.

[quote name='smiggity']Wack. That should never happen when it is a Sony game.[/QUOTE]Warhawk at launch was a huge mess (tons of glitches and freezing). SOCOM tends to have issues early on (and probably will at launch, but after a while will be fine). It's tough because publishers demand releases as soon as possible, yet there are still bugs. Delaying more just makes people angry.

I heard staying offline, there is no issue. Some said it was related to MP3 issues.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Warhawk at launch was a huge mess (tons of glitches and freezing). SOCOM tends to have issues early on (and probably will at launch, but after a while will be fine). It's tough because publishers demand releases as soon as possible, yet there are still bugs. Delaying more just makes people angry.

I heard staying offline, there is no issue. Some said it was related to MP3 issues.[/quote]

There are no excuses.

[quote name='Mojimbo']Rumor is that having more than 50 friends on your list is what's causing it to lock up.[/quote]

Yeah I was just reading all of that. I won't be surprised if they pulled the download for us today in response to all the problems.

EDIT: Guess it wasn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back