Wipeout HD - Fury DLC Incoming

I really hope it can be shared... I just don't see myself paying $30 or 40, and since it's download only it will never drop much lower in price.

[quote name='happy']I really hope it can be shared... I just don't see myself paying $30 or 40, and since it's download only it will never drop much lower in price.[/QUOTE]It's going to be $40, based on content. At the cheapest, it may be $30. I can say for sure it will not be lower than $30 since it has a Platinum Trophy.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It's going to be $40, based on content. At the cheapest, it may be $30. I can say for sure it will not be lower than $30 since it has a Platinum Trophy.[/quote]

I kind of expect them to put it out at $30 as an experiment. I imagine the profit on a $30 download is probably about the same as a $40 disc (socom/warhawk), so if they can sell well at $30 they may get rid of $40 disc based games in the future. That or they can use it to threaten bestbuy/walmart/GS for a larger margin on those games.

The shame is that numbers are almost never released for downloadable games as far as I know.

Well I was on the fence about this one if it was $30+, but if it clocks in at only $20 to $25 then it seems like a no-brainer, especially for the online multiplayer. I would have prefered 4-player split-screen local multi instead of the 2 we are getting. Zone mode's gimping is a shame though since it sounded neat.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It's going to be $40, based on content. At the cheapest, it may be $30. I can say for sure it will not be lower than $30 since it has a Platinum Trophy.[/quote]

Really??....:bs:

Now they just need to put the game out soon... Everyone says it's completed. Red Baron is next week, and Mega Man 9 by the end of the month (the 25th?). Will they overlap Wipeout with one of those or push back another major release into October.

[quote name='Megalith']$20?

Is there going to be a retail copy, because I ain't paying $20 only for binary lawls.[/QUOTE]Never. PSN exclusive. The reason is because if SCEA made it retail, they'd have to charge more (retail loyalties and shipping), and then the PSN price would have to go up since PSN content can't be cheaper than retail (retailers are very sensitive over prices being lower elsewhere). It's intended to boost the library of PSN games.

So should we expect more improved PSP ports to PSN for $20 (this and tekken so far). Imagine if Crisis Core or Dissidia appeared on PSN in 1080P for $20. This could open a whole new market, and if they are successful maybe encourage more PSP support from devs, which seems to be one of Sony's goals.

I know they aren't exact ports, but aren't all of the wipeout tracks found on PSP games. And tekken you could say is a port of the arcade with the PSP version in the middle, but a similar idea?

[quote name='Zyzomys']I would much rather pay $20 for a digital download than $40 at a store.[/QUOTE]Exactly.

I'll probably coordinate Wipeout HD nights too.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I still don't like how people are scared of digital downloads... if anything the digital games on all platforms are more worth it usually than retail.[/QUOTE]

I'm "Scared" of it because what happens in 15-20 years if I feel the need to play Wipeout HD again some random rainy day? Will I still have access to it?

There are tons of games still playable on carts and CDs from years ago. How are those Sega Channel games faring?

It just changes the whole nature of buying something. In this case you are no longer really buying anything, you're renting it for as long as Sony chooses to support authorization/etc. If Sony decides to close up shop, you could lose your "purchase".

That said, I love Wipeout and $19.99 is a VERY tempting price... I would've been fairly pissed had they tried to launch this at $40+ (for my reasons about).

If you keep your PS3 and hard drive the games will work forever. And at least for the next many years you will be able to replace them even if your hard drive is messed up.

Look at Sony's continuing support of the PS2 (and how long they supported PS1 for that matter).

The sega channel is not a good comparison because PSN games aren't streamed, you have them physically on your hard drive (which essentially is no different from any other disc format in terms of your ability to retain it). That said sega channel was awesome and just too far ahead of its time. Without it I never would have found Shadowrun, one of the greatest games of all time.

$20 is a sweet price for this. I'm definitely gonna check it out now.

My wallet is going to get hit hard by this fall releases.Wipeout,Megaman 9,Fallout 3, Bioshock, and Left for Dead.

[quote name='Darklighter']This won't be game-shareable, correct? (I'm buying regardless.)[/quote]

99% chance it will be. The only psn games not shareable are the $40 ones which are also on blu-ray. Tekken and fatal inertia are $20 and $30 and shareable.

[quote name='DestroVega']how do u share games? never even knew u could[/quote]

Check this thread out.

I wonder how the online portion will be setup. :whistle2:k

EDIT: IGNUK - 9.2

They mention that the online portion is barebones but don't really elaborate ...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='StrandedBrit']Check this thread out.

I wonder how the online portion will be setup. :whistle2:k

EDIT: IGNUK - 9.2

They mention that the online portion is barebones but don't really elaborate ...[/quote]

Eurogamer gave it a 9, says online is 8 people but only in single races or tournaments, no other modes. Although presumably it runs well which is most important. Everything else about the game they seem to love.

[quote name='happy']Eurogamer gave it a 9, says online is 8 people but only in single races or tournaments, no other modes. Although presumably it runs well which is most important. Everything else about the game they seem to love.[/quote]

Yeah but I want to know how it's setup. I want to know if you can use headsets, if you can play with friends. Stuff that should be mandatory but isn't always and the lack of those two would kill online for me.

But yeah SP looks to be da bomb.

bread's done
Back