XBL DotW & Sales 2012 | 5/1 BF3 DLC (DotW) | More

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddjoey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the US*. This includes the Deal of the Week, Family Plan Sale Item, and any other sales or promotions. I have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases. Most sales are for one week.* Please feel free to PM or post if you see anything not listed here. Please note: ALL ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! and some sales are for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY*. Have fun and enjoy.
(*unless otherwise noted)

All known sales and information on sales are in the OP. If some information on here is wrong or missing please shoot me a PM so I can adjust the OP!

[IMG-L=6565]17018[/IMG-L]
Xbox Live Deal of the Week:

[quote name='reddjoey']This thread is growing a bit too big so we need a new one.

Please move the DOTW discussion here.
[/QUOTE]

GOLD MEMBERS ONLY
48 Hours Gold trials and free Gold weekends won't get you the sale price.

5/1 - Battlefield 3

DLC:
-Back to Karkland - 600 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic (83)

5/8 - Tom Clancy's Sale

DLC:

Endwar
-Escalation Expansion Pack - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
-Chapter 2 - 300 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

GRAW 2
-Co-op Collection - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look
-Co-op Collection 2 - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

Splinter Cell Conviction
-Deniable Ops: Insurgency - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

H.A.W.X.
-Air Supremacy - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

H.A.W.X. 2
-All in One Pack - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

Games on Demand:
-Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - 600 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

-Splinter Cell Conviction Co-op Outfit (Male/Female) - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb

Family Gold Pack Deal:

5/1 - Nin2-Jump

XBLA:
-Nin2-Jump - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off -xbldb - Metacritic (??) - Quick Look

Misc Sales:

Xbox Sales & Specials Page

?????? - Pets GOLD MEMBERS ONLY
-Cat (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off
-Pug Dog (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing that should ever be released at 1200 are HD remakes of full retail games from the last gen.

Everything else 800 & under.

Maaaaaybe stretch to allow huge expansions like awakenings to go for 1200.

I don't know what Fez is, but I'll certainly try the demo since it's only 800 points at release, which makes it a more possible impulse buy than would 1200. Kind of arbitrary, but that's the reality of it. LOL. I'm not saying it was OK for Microsoft to strong arm the price, only how the release price is affecting me.

[quote name='the Gooseler']Quick question does a season pass still exist after all the content it is for are out or does it get delisted. I ask because I missed the damn sale of the Gears Seaon pass when it was 1800. Now I like the multiplayer a lot, but i the main DLC i wanted was Raam's Shadow. Should i get it for the 800MS - 5% or can i wait until the pass goes back on sale?[/QUOTE]

The season pass DOES still exist but at the original MSRP. I, personally, do not recommend the season pass only because the other DLC were pretty lame, imo. The only one I've found valuable so far has been Raam's Shadow. For 800MS, you might as well jump on it and enjoy the 5% off in addition to it at the end of the month.

I'm willing to bet a Gears of War 3 complete edition will be out before the next full discount on the season pass....

I'm still on the fence on Reams Shadow. I'd only be getting it for the single player content
and with mass effect 3 coming out, I don't know when I'd get to the Gears add-on. Still this is a decent sale. Decisions .....

[quote name='cancerman1120'] It seems like these developers are getting more out of going through the MS ringer than using Sony or Steam or self-publishing. [/QUOTE]

You have it completely backwards.

XBLA is just about the worst modern platform to develop a game for, second only to Xbox Indie Games.

Steam is by far the easiest platform to publish on, with Apple's iOS running second, and Sony's PS3 coming in third.

Every gamer should read this if they haven't already:

http://2dboy.com/2011/10/03/xbla/

48% of developers described developing for XBLA as "excruciating," 36% described it as "difficult," and only 16% thought it was "so so." 0% thought it was "very easy." 0%!

[quote name='wEEman33']You have it completely backwards.

XBLA is just about the worst modern platform to develop a game for, second only to Xbox Indie Games.

Steam is by far the easiest platform to publish on, with Apple's iOS running second, and Sony's PS3 coming in third.

48% of developers described developing for XBLA as "excruciating," 36% described it as "difficult," and only 16% thought it was "so so." 0% thought it was "very easy." 0%![/QUOTE]

There's a little more to it though. Many games have been a big hit when (finally) released on Steam because they had already been big on XBLA. If part of a promotion, i'm sure some developers get a lot of value out of going XBLA exclusive first. It helps build the identity of the game, people on PC wish they could play it, and then when it finally comes there it's a big deal.

If it was so excruciating XBLA would be dead already.

[quote name='wolverinefactor']and Fez has dropped to a buy when on sale for me. If I could steal it I would.[/QUOTE]

do you work for free?

somebody is actually honest about wanting to make as much money as possible and people knock him for it, like anybody makes these games just for the hell of it

I think MSFT's point is that the game will make more money in total at 800 points. They would know, the game maker doesn't have access to this type of info through hundreds of xbla titles.

If the game sells 50% more copies because of the lower price point it will come out to be the same whether the charge 800 or 1200 MSPs for it. My guess is that it will sell more than 50% more copies due to the lower price point so the developer will actually get more money for charging less for the game. All in all that was a stupid comment on the guy's part. It's bad PR if nothing else.

It should probably be pointed out that that interview isn't absolute confirmation that Fez will be 800. I could very easily see it end up being 1200 in the end, and the dev getting his way.

It may be part of SoA, where MS offsets the 1200 point costs by offering free points back/free games back if you buy all the games.

Or maybe they'll pull a Super Meat Boy and put it on sale for 800 for the first 2 weeks then bump it up to 1200. I jumped all over SMB at 800 (knowing it would retail for 1200 in just a couple weeks) and I think that strategy might work well here as well.

48% of developers described developing for XBLA as "excruciating," 36% described it as "difficult," and only 16% thought it was "so so." 0% thought it was "very easy." 0%![/QUOTE]

There is so much to question in that article... namely the sheer amount he based on what? 28 developers emailing him back? He also never clearly states if these 28 people were largely independent or if they were just one or two members of an independent team, etc. Also, it is unclear if the developers answers may have just been based on a current project, or hell, even a port from XBLA to PSN. We don't know because we don't know exactly what was asked.

Beyond that, basically he's asking that XBLA be opened up like iPhone or XBLIG's are. That format works alright for an iPhone where many games are to some extent free to play, and most net about $1, but just look at how the XBLIG service has fared. There have been hits, tons of fantastic games, but a significantly larger portion of just plain crap. Steam is a better model, but steam is one distribution system within a larger system. By that I mean that Steam isn't a console, Steam is a shell within which games operate on a PC. Steam isn't entirely open either, and at the same time Steam doesn't have to worry about Steam's reputation just because there are other bad games being released on PC. Xbox is a closed system, if they opened XBLA like this author wants, XBLA would quickly look like the app store or the XBLIG channel; gems buried in crap. Not even sure how the pricing structure would play out since arcade games are at the moment typically no lower than 400 points except when on sale.

EDIT: Just remembered an article I read from an iPhone game developer that ported the game to Windows Phone and found their sales/ratings to be much worse. The results they ultimately came to was that the WP7 crowd expected a significantly higher level of quality and game control, and so they rejected a game that was successful on iPhone in it's first incarnation on WP7. They ultimately went and significantly tweaked the game to improve things like precision. It is an interesting thought on the difference in gamers between something like XBLA and iPhone.

[quote name='ooga']If the game sells 50% more copies because of the lower price point it will come out to be the same whether the charge 800 or 1200 MSPs for it. My guess is that it will sell more than 50% more copies due to the lower price point so the developer will actually get more money for charging less for the game. All in all that was a stupid comment on the guy's part. It's bad PR if nothing else.[/QUOTE]

That assumes that the sales would be the same outside that 50% extra. If a game sells 10,000 copies at 800, it doesn't mean they would of sold 5,000 at 1200 (it could have easily been 2-3,000 instead). There is a relatively small group of people who will buy the game regardless, and only with those few people, will you see a "potential loss of profit."

Microsoft does seem to be kind of backing away from the 1200-1600 point price tags for new XBLA games. There was like a year where everything came out at that price, my guess is that the numbers were blatantly obvious and now they are kind of pushing for that to be more of the exception than the rule.

[quote name='wEEman33']Beyond that, basically he's asking that XBLA be opened up like iPhone or XBLIG's are.[/QUOTE]

Ninja'd to the extreme. While it was a very well written article, it can bascially be summized as "turn XBLA into the App Store". I don't feel like that's a good solution at all, and while it may help turn a profit with a bunch of random people picking up 99 cent apps and games, I think it actually would hurt the "hardcore" gamer immensely.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Beyond that, basically he's asking that XBLA be opened up like iPhone or XBLIG's are.[/QUOTE]

Ninja'd to the extreme. While it was a very well written article, it can bascially be summized as "turn XBLA into the App Store". I don't feel like that's a good solution at all, and while it may help turn a profit with a bunch of random people picking up 99 cent apps and games, I think it actually would hurt the "hardcore" gamer immensely.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']EDIT: Just remembered an article I read from an iPhone game developer that ported the game to Windows Phone and found their sales/ratings to be much worse. The results they ultimately came to was that the WP7 crowd expected a significantly higher level of quality and game control, and so they rejected a game that was successful on iPhone in it's first incarnation on WP7. They ultimately went and significantly tweaked the game to improve things like precision. It is an interesting thought on the difference in gamers between something like XBLA and iPhone.[/QUOTE]

As a WP7 owner, that doesn't surprise me one bit. I've always been pretty critical of MS's strict, closed, environment. But maybe I should be a little bit easier on them. They are doing a good job of filtering out a lot of shit, which makes it so I never have to waste my time filtering it out myself.

I was not commenting on how easy it was to work with MS but rather it MUST be the most financially lucrative route or why else deal with all the hassle? If you can make more by not going through all the issues with MS (or at least the same amount) then why not do that? Normally I am not a big ra ra person for corporations but in this case I side with MS. They have spent years and billions on development and promotion of the Xbox, Xbox Live and XBLA that they can do really whatever they want. It is their investment and they control it however they see fit. Is it always fair? Most likely not, but that is not MS problem. Indie developers (in the case of Fez it is only 2 people) need to be aware of their business model just as much as they are of the game development process if their goal is to make money. The issue is this guy has spent 5 years developing and tweaking a game and feels he should have 100% control over it...problem is he did not develop XBLA so he has to live by their rules. Do we need better gateways for indie developers? Sure but until then you cannot complain when MS only wants to do what is best for their company.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']
That assumes that the sales would be the same outside that 50% extra. If a game sells 10,000 copies at 800, it doesn't mean they would of sold 5,000 at 1200 (it could have easily been 2-3,000 instead). There is a relatively small group of people who will buy the game regardless, and only with those few people, will you see a "potential loss of profit." [/QUOTE]

How is that different from what I had just said?

[quote name='Cornelius']Awwww dammit ... I won a code for "Warp" (and in my elation, redeemed it). Now I actually am considering doing the House Party dump for the 800pt rebate. It wouldn't be so bad, except for the thought that I'm actually paying 800pts for Nexuiz. No offense intended to THQ/Illfonic, but I didn't ask for arena shooting to "come back", since there's plenty of good shooters essentially deserted. And worse, I'm now compelled to buy "Nexuiz" on Feb. 29th in order to get 5% back ... so in trade for my obsession for 50-cents, MS/THQ thinks there's 1 more obsessive "arena shooter" fan who HAD to have this game on "day #1".[/QUOTE]

Reminder...
If you're going for the House Party promotion (getting the 800pt rebate in mid-to-late April), make plans to grab Nexuiz on Wednesday (Feb. 29th) for an additional 40pts as part of Xbox Rewards. MS typically pulls reports using Pacific time-zone times, but you might settle up before 11:59pm EST / 8:59pm PST in case some analyst @ ePrize forgets to account for time-zone in their SQL query. As for me personally, I'd settle up before 6:59pm EST / 3:59pm PST on Wednesday, just in case purchases are tracked by GMT timecodes. :D

As a reminder, here's the small-print for the 5% reward from http://rewards.xbox.com/ :
Offer is valid for Xbox LIVE Rewards members who have an active continuous Gold subscription on or before 1 February 2012 which is in effect through February 29, 2012 with no lapse (This excludes trial Gold subscriptions). Eligible members will receive 5% Microsoft Points back on all Marketplace purchases made from February 1, 2012 through February 29, 2012. Marketplace purchases include Avatar items, game add-ons, movie purchases or rentals and Xbox LIVE Arcade games. No points will be given back for Gold subscriptions, Zune Passes and Microsoft Points purchases.
And to answer questions from this thread:
  • Games-on-Demand aren't included.
  • Your gold'ish status for downloading the Mass Effect 3 demo makes you a "trial gold" member, not "gold".
  • ANY lapse of XBL subscription will disqualify you, so hopefully nobody here was going month-to-month on their subscription payments, and let it lapse for a few hours/days.
  • Depending upon your current balance @ the Rewards site, you may have to spend up to 2000pts just to trigger the payout in March. Therefore, remember to take February's survey worth 40pts, so your payout (of 100pts or more) is triggered ASAP. Here's MS's statement on the payout date: "Heads up - it may take up to 96 hours for your Rewards Points to display as Pending. Once you have more than 100 Pending points, they will be deposited into your Xbox LIVE account by the 15th of the next month."

And back to House Party, here's the small-print legalese for that 800pt rebate from http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Community/Promotions/House-Party :
Buy all four House Party games from February 15, 2012 – March 13, 2012 at 11:59 P.M. EST and receive 800 promotional Microsoft Points. Fulfillment will be made via direct deposit to qualified customer Xbox LIVE Accounts within 4-6 weeks. Limit one (1) per account. To qualify, you must purchase the four (4) games from Xbox LIVE Arcade using your Xbox LIVE account, between 12:01 am EST on February 15, 2012 and 11:59 pm EST on March 13, 2012. Promotional Microsoft Points will be deposited into your account within four to six weeks, and must be used by 12/30/2012. Offer available Worldwide in all Xbox LIVE countries except Italy, Japan and Korea, is non-transferable, not redeemable for cash, and cannot be combined with any other rebate or offer. Taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the recipient. Download charges may apply as set by your ISP. For Xbox LIVE Terms of Use and system requirements, see www.xbox.com/live. Offer provided by: Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052.

[quote name='Zonic505']Jet Set Radio is officially confirmed (as if we had any doubts from the video) to be coming this summer. Sega is also holding a contest where you can have your own tag be featured in the game along with a cool prize pack featuring 2 copies of the game, a jacket, beverage shaker that looks like a spray can, & a Portable Blue Tooth Sound System with Solar Panel.[/QUOTE]

Jet Set Radio is actually gonna be in HD as well, which is surprising to me. Were the other Dreamcast releases HD?

[quote name='tylerh1701']Jet Set Radio is actually gonna be in HD as well, which is surprising to me. Were the other Dreamcast releases HD?[/QUOTE]That all depends on if you consider upscaling as being HD.

Pretty much all Dreamcast games Sega re-released on XBLA/PSN got upscaled to 1080p & feature widescreen support (with the exception of Sonic Adventure, though it still has the upgraded graphics).

I can't help but wonder if it'll have avatar awards like the other Dreamcast games.

[quote name='mzvicious']There hasn't been Avatar Awards on XBLA games for a while now[/QUOTE]

Alan Wake American Nightmare has avatar awards and that was released only last week. :/

Did I miss out on the Legends Showcase DLC being 400 pts? Shows as 800 for me. I stupidly just noticed it was on sale.

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='sweeper1303']Did I miss out on the Legends Showcase DLC being 400 pts? Shows as 800 for me. I stupidly just noticed it was on sale.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
Yes, it ended this morning. Sorry.

[quote name='Zonic505']Pretty much all Dreamcast games Sega re-released on XBLA/PSN got upscaled to 1080p & feature widescreen support (with the exception of Sonic Adventure, though it still has the upgraded graphics).

I can't help but wonder if it'll have avatar awards like the other Dreamcast games.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I remember Sonic Adventures not having widescreen support, so I was thinking all of them didn't.

[quote name='Doctor Who']Alan Wake American Nightmare has avatar awards and that was released only last week. :/[/QUOTE]

Ya, that new pitching Kinect weird zombie game will have avatar awards as well. They definitely haven't done away with them.

[quote name='Cornelius']

And to answer questions from this thread:
  • Games-on-Demand aren't included.
  • Your gold'ish status for downloading the Mass Effect 3 demo makes you a "trial gold" member, not "gold".
  • ANY lapse of XBL subscription will disqualify you, so hopefully nobody here was going month-to-month on their subscription payments, and let it lapse for a few hours/days.
  • Depending upon your current balance @ the Rewards site, you may have to spend up to 2000pts just to trigger the payout in March. Therefore, remember to take February's survey worth 40pts, so your payout (of 100pts or more) is triggered ASAP. Here's MS's statement on the payout date: "Heads up - it may take up to 96 hours for your Rewards Points to display as Pending. Once you have more than 100 Pending points, they will be deposited into your Xbox LIVE account by the 15th of the next month."

And back to House Party, here's the small-print legalese for that 800pt rebate from http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Community/Promotions/House-Party :[/QUOTE]

Ah damn so exclusive Games on Demand games like the following:

Crysis
Deathsmiles 2
Resident Evil CVX
Resident Evil 4

Would not be eligible? :whistle2:( , guess I'll hold out for some type of deal in the future!

[quote name='SideSwipe999']Ah damn so exclusive Games on Demand games like the following:
  • Crysis
  • Deathsmiles 2
  • Resident Evil CVX
  • Resident Evil 4
Would not be eligible? :whistle2:( , guess I'll hold out for some type of deal in the future![/QUOTE]
If the price is listed in dollars (or whatever's your local currency), then the rules say it's ineligible. That's probably how the Rewards site is able to run this promotion in so many countries, now that youv'e converted your local currency into Microsoft FunBucks(tm).

[quote name='Cornelius']If the price is listed in dollars (or whatever's your local currency), then the rules say it's ineligible. That's probably how the Rewards site is able to run this promotion in so many countries, now that youv'e converted your local currency into Microsoft FunBucks(tm).[/QUOTE]

But you can convert the regular currency to MSP by pressing X when it asks you to pay.. Still doesn't count? :(

[quote name='infamy']But you can convert the regular currency to MSP by pressing X when it asks you to pay.. Still doesn't count? :([/QUOTE]
Nope, you're doing the conversion of "currency"-to-points at the time of that purchase. It's Microsoft's rules, not mine, and I (thought I) was helping to clarify how MS sees currency-based GonD vs. points-based XBLA/DLC/Zune/avatar.

[quote name='S0DA POPINSKI']I'm really hoping for some arcade games next week. I got points burning a hole in my screen...[/QUOTE]

Me too, but I don't think we're gonna get much next week either, as it's the final week of House Party. Maybe in 2 weeks though, and MS is about due for one of their quarter-ending blowout sales too.

yeah, i think this is even cheaper than us price
i bet this is the first time in a long time you have seen something from australia.
we rarely have deals unless it is world wide.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may have been asked before, but how does the 5% back work for items where the 5% would be less than 10 points? For example, 80 point or 100 point items. Thanks in advance!

[quote name='xenosphere']This may have been asked before, but how does the 5% back work for items where the 5% would be less than 10 points? For example, 80 point or 100 point items. Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]
All purchases will be calculated at the end of the qualifying period, then rounded to the nearest 10

[quote name='infamy']Hmm, when is the last time a GoD game went on sale?[/QUOTE]

They do go on sale occasionally, but not often. If you're referring to RE:CV or RE4, I'm wondering if March is going to be early for a sale (when Operation Racoon City releases), but I would see if there is a sale either in October or when RE6 releases (in November iirc).

[quote name='JStryke']They do go on sale occasionally, but not often. If you're referring to RE:CV or RE4, I'm wondering if March is going to be early for a sale (when Operation Racoon City releases), but I would see if there is a sale either in October or when RE6 releases (in November iirc).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've kind of given up hope on those two. Seems more likely to go on sale later this year near RE6 release date, like you said. Crysis needs to go on sale, too.

Hmm... wonder what the chance of Trials HD (and/or the DLC) going on sale are given that the sequel will be out soon. Anyone know the last time it was on sale and for how much?

[quote name='mzvicious']There hasn't been Avatar Awards on XBLA games for a while now[/QUOTE]Sonic 4 Ep. 2 is going to have some, just like in Episode 1.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Ya, that new pitching Kinect weird zombie game will have avatar awards as well. They definitely haven't done away with them.[/QUOTE]Diabolical Pitch? Yeah, that has 3 awards.

It's a shame that more retail games don't have them. The last one that had them that I can think of is Sonic Generations (though Mass Effect 3 will have some). That, & unlockable gamerpics, are some nice bonuses to unlock & can help determine which system I get a game for.

Is anyone else incredibly disappointed with the deals for the last say...2 months?

I spent $50 on points which I have yet to use, except for the Fallout New Vegas DLC. These deals are terrible.

[quote name='Lazer77']Is anyone else incredibly disappointed with the deals for the last say...2 months?

I spent $50 on points which I have yet to use, except for the Fallout New Vegas DLC. These deals are terrible.[/QUOTE]

Unless you only buy points for deals, that $50 shouldn't last long. So many amazing games releasing very soon such as Trials 2 and Fez, not to mention Alan Wake which is awesome.

I keep having to buy points from Ooga, lol.

Also I'm surprised that in the Fez discussion, so many people didn't know about the game and mentioned screenshots.

SCREENSHOTS DON'T DO IT JUSTICE!

http://vimeo.com/m/21082507

There is a reason Fez is the most anticipated downloadable title for the last few years. Also, dat soundtrack!

[quote name='mpaullin']Hmm... wonder what the chance of Trials HD (and/or the DLC) going on sale are given that the sequel will be out soon. Anyone know the last time it was on sale and for how much?[/QUOTE]Look here. You can click on individual items to see their price history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back