XBLA Sales| CLOSED THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddjoey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
THREAD HAS MOVED TO HERE.

Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the US*. This include the Deal of the Week, Family Plan Sale Item, and any other sales or promotions. I have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases. Most sales are for one week.* Please feel free to PM or post if you doesn't see anything listed here. Please note: ALL ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! and some sales are for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY*. Have fun and enjoy.
(*unless otherwise noted)

[IMG-L=6565]17018[/IMG-L]
Xbox Live Deal of the Week:

11/8 - Legendary Warriors

XBLA:
-Deadliest Warrior: The Game - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic - Quick Look
-Scott Pilgrim The Game - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic - Quick Look
-Shinobi - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic

-Deadliest Warrior Samurai Helmet - 80 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-Scott Pilgrim Guitar (Prop) - 120 Microsoft Points - 50% off

Family Gold Pack Deal:

Misc Sales:

?????? - Pets GOLD MEMBERS ONLY
-Cat (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off
-Pug Dog (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I definitely recommend PoP Classic even if you didn't play the original. The redone cutscenes are kind of clumsy but it's an excellent classic platformer. The new ball of light that guides you to your objective helps take a lot of the frustration out of blindly wandering through the original. The sword fights help to break up the jumping over spikes and pits.

I'm also strongly considering Star Trek. Does anyone have any thoughts on it? I know it's another dual-stick shooter but I enjoy most of those and I love the Star Trek theme. Maybe the online will pick up a bit with the sale.

TMNT 1989 is a must-buy at this price if you like classic arcade brawlers. It's also a fun online co-op experience. I might have to play an online round or two if the sale helps bring a bit more traffic. This and Contra are great classic XBLA co-ops. PM me for my XBLA username if you'd like to ever set up a round for any of these.

Wasn't even aware of PoP Classic, will check out the demo for sure.

And dang, what a bummer for me about TMNT '89. I blew my remaining $5 credit from a GS trade on one of their in-store code cards for it just last week! Ah well. $2.50 or $5 alike, still a lot less than how much I blew on that game back in the day in quarters.

[quote name='stoned99']Is POP 50% off, or is that the regular price ?[/QUOTE]

The IGN review states the release price as 800 MS points ($10):
POP Classic, priced on the high-end for XBLA titles at 800 Microsoft Points (US$10), is a faithful recreation of the title that started the franchise.

Unless MS permanently dropped the price to 400 points, it's 50% off right now.

I wanted to like the game but I just died over and over. The combat is sort of 50/50 for me. I do recommend it, quality platforming game. People that finish the game within time have some balls, let me tell you haha.

Definitely in for PoP: Classic! Been waiting for that one to drop in price. Not so sure on the Turtles though. TiT: Re-Shelled (wow that looks awful) felt weird to me. And I'm not sure if the old one holds up, but for 200, can't really complain!

[quote name='wmclark']TMNT 1987 will not let you play 2 local + 2 online multiplayer. This was a bust after I paid $5 for it.

Will reshelled allow you to do this?[/QUOTE]

Ok, just bought re-shelled. It does allow you to play any number of local and online matches. It even lets you choose how many private slots you want vs public.

I know it got terrible reviews... but this game is probably 8/10 for an XBLA game (disregard the price). It's better than the 1987 version by far. More modes, quick play any level, better multiplayer, 360 attacks, better visuals, more gameplay, more combos/moves, and fullscreen. My only complaint is the sound. It truly is terrible.

I paid $5 for both TMNT games, I would have still bought the 1987 version, but for this value, I think re-shelled is the better buy. All the poor reviews are basically because it was $10...

The fact that 1987 only allows you to play 1 local player on xbox live multiplayer is a huge deal breaker for me and makes re-shelled worth $10 if you have a wife or kid that likes to play online with others.

[quote name='Zonic505']Anyone wanna comment on TMNT: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled? I heard it was a terrible remake compared to the original Turtles in Time.[/QUOTE]

I bought it at full price the day it came out since I'm such a fan of the original and I regret the purchase. My wife and I played the game for about a half hour (which is how long it takes to beat it) and I haven't touched it since. Most of my friends that bought it have the same experience. I don't know if it's just not remembering what the game was like or not being into that style of game anymore, but I'd consider the demo before downloading. I know short games can be fun and worth the money, but this is less than an hour short. To me that's not a great deal no matter what the price.

I got 200/200 in Star Trek D-A-C (they added some extra Achievements later). Trust me, it's not a very good game. There's no single-player other than bot skirmishes and it does not feel even a little bit like Star Trek. There's also a severe lack of variety since you can only play as ships for humans and Romulans and there's no real differences between either side.

[quote name='jdawgg76']OK, I give up. If I already have Pacman CE, why would I want DX? What makes it so much better?[/QUOTE]

everything. it really does feel like a proper sequel, dont let the name fool you its a whole new pacman experience, theres always the demo if you're not convinced

[quote name='nerdtown']everything. it really does feel like a proper sequel, dont let the name fool you its a whole new pacman experience, theres always the demo if you're not convinced[/QUOTE]

This. Imo if you bought the first one and liked it at all this really is infinitely better. I have CE on a couple of the compilation discs and it is truly fuckn garbage compared to how incredible DX is.

[quote name='jdawgg76']OK, I give up. If I already have Pacman CE, why would I want DX? What makes it so much better?[/QUOTE]

DX takes CE to a new level, mainly by breaking down the game into objectives. You either need to eat all the apples, take out as many ghosts as possible or beat the stages with the best time. Pac-Man CE DX is I agree feels like a good sequel and I too was skeptical at first.

Bought Pacman, Star Trek, and Prince of Persia. Thanks to all those who contributed.

I just played pacman dx and got the 200 achievement points in just under 30 minutes. It's so much fucking fun. My heart was racing.

I guess I should mention that pacman and ms pacman are among my favorite games of all time. I've played them both way past what most people would consider an unhealthy amount of time.

Saw the 5% deal and all the amazing reviews for pac-man so I see it as a must buy this week and picked up some points for other games this month too.

I'm highly considering Limbo/Sonic 4 (huge sonic fan but have had such a huge backlog didn't even bother to get it) but they're pretty pricey right now anyone think these will go on sale soon?

[quote name='kidrocklive']Limbo was the last "countdown to new years" sale if I recall. I hope it goes on sale again though cause I stupidly didn't buy it lol.[/QUOTE]
yep, it was on sale for 800. was hoping for 600 (half price) but I bit anyway. great game, but short

[quote name='Chrono Gear']This. Imo if you bought the first one and liked it at all this really is infinitely better. I have CE on a couple of the compilation discs and it is truly fuckn garbage compared to how incredible DX is.[/QUOTE]

I've only played DX once, but so far I can't say I agree. I'm not sold on the ghosts-just-chase-you-directly aspect of this game. Maybe it gets better later, but so far I prefer the original because the ghosts aren't just single minded. DX doesn't feel like Pac-Man. I'm definitely going to play it more, though. I need to switch my HRAP EX-SE to 4-way mode first. Probably it will grow on me, this just my first impression.

I'm going to download the demo of PoP. I have the classic version on my iPhone and like that. Would like to see how it was done on the 360.

[quote name='Zonic505']Anyone wanna comment on TMNT: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled? I heard it was a terrible remake compared to the original Turtles in Time.[/QUOTE]

It isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. If you are looking at it as some epic high value game you'll be disappointed. It's a simple HD update of an old school beat em' up arcade game. X-men and TMNT 89 are all basically the same games and all take about a half hour to power through, but the point isn't about beating the game; arcade games were about score (hence why when you beat X-men arcade back in the day the game simply started over!) If you have kids/younger brother/niece or nephews/etc. it's a great game for them too. My nephew has played it quite a lot so even if I haven't played it tons, my $5 has gotten a lot of mileage.

[quote name='mxpowar']There's also the fact that the release date is written dd/mm/yy format and is on a Friday, which is when games typically are released in the UK, and not a Tuesday when they are released in the U.S. It's also still not up on Amazon.com but it IS up on Amazon.co.uk.[/QUOTE]

Well, couldn't it also be that the press release was simply written by a company that is in the UK and would format their dates as such?

It could be UK only, but it could also be that a UK company sent out a press release aimed at UK press and the US version either hasn't been dated yet or simply not "officially" announced. We will just have to wait and see, but I don't think there is enough evidence in what was written to assume one way or the other.

Anyway, off to try Star Trek and PoP Classic.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Limbo was the last "countdown to new years" sale if I recall. I hope it goes on sale again though cause I stupidly didn't buy it lol.[/QUOTE]

I bought Limbo on sale at Christmas. It's a genre I generally like, and the reviews are stellar.
On playing it I had a different opinion. It's decent enough (worth $5-$10), but not genre-defining, for two reasons.

1) It gets illogically hard about 70%-80% in.
I looked at my friends and most of them quit playing between 75% and 85% complete.
I am around 80% myself and haven't loaded it back up since.
Granted you could go to gamefaqs or youtube to see how to do it...
But that kind of takes the fun out of the brain challenge for me

2) It's just like every Cinematic Platformer you already played decades ago.
It got a lot of awards for originality... WTF ?!?!?!
Have none of the reviewers played:
PoP Classic (now on XBLA sale and the defining start of this genre)
Out of this/Another World
Heart of the Alien
Heart of Darkness
Flashback
Blackthorne
Oddworld (I or II)
Epyx: Impossible Mission (THE ORIGINAL, pre-PoP)

Back on Topic. I bough PacMan DX, and I'm seriously considering PoP Classic since I haven't played it in 15 years....

[quote name='raiser']I bought it on sale at Christmas. It's a genre I generally like, and the reviews are stellar.
On playing it I had a different opinion. It's decent enough, but not genre-defining, for two reasons.

1) It gets flipping hard about 70%-80% in.
I looked at my friends and most of them quit playing between 75% and 85% complete.
Granted you could go to gamefaqs or youtube to see how to do it...
But that kind of takes the fun out of the brain challenge for me

2) It's just like every Cinematic Platformer you already played decades ago.
It got a lot of awards for originality... WTF ?!?!?!
Have none of the reviewers played:
PoP Classic (now on XBLA sale and the defining start of this genre)
Out of this/Another World
Heart of the Alien
Heart of Darkness
Flashback
Blackthorne
Oddworld (I or II)
Epyx: Impossible Mission (THE ORIGINAL, pre-PoP)[/QUOTE]

On point #2, I fall into the category of no lol. While I played the demo of PoP that's really it. Plus I never heard of any of those games either (my loss I guess).

Edit: Also I think part of it's originality was due to the presentation style.

[quote name='crunchewy']I've only played DX once, but so far I can't say I agree. I'm not sold on the ghosts-just-chase-you-directly aspect of this game. Maybe it gets better later, but so far I prefer the original because the ghosts aren't just single minded. DX doesn't feel like Pac-Man. I'm definitely going to play it more, though. I need to switch my HRAP EX-SE to 4-way mode first. Probably it will grow on me, this just my first impression.

I'm going to download the demo of PoP. I have the classic version on my iPhone and like that. Would like to see how it was done on the 360.[/QUOTE]

I've only played a little, but it seems to me the ghosts only follow you when you first wake them up. Once a ghost regenerates in their home box in the middle of the maze, it has a mind of it's own like in the original.

[quote name='kidrocklive']On point #2, I fall into the category of no lol. While I played the demo of PoP that's really it. Plus I never heard of any of those games either (my loss I guess).

Edit: Also I think part of it's originality was due to the presentation style.[/QUOTE]

Well then I am glad Limbo is reintroducing a classic game style.
If you like it you owe it to yourself to get a Genesis/SNES emulator and track down some ROMS!
I'd say buy them, but good luck finding any of these games for sale (maybe Oddworld PS1 on PSN?)

As to presentation these games and this genre offered the same presentation as Limbo,
except not in B&W Silhouette, that was the only thing new, less color. And didn't Winterbottom do that first too?

[quote name='probin74243']I've only played a little, but it seems to me the ghosts only follow you when you first wake them up. Once a ghost regenerates in their home box in the middle of the maze, it has a mind of it's own like in the original.[/QUOTE]

That's true, until you run by them for a certain length of time and they join the line of ghosts. I like it better personally.

[quote name='raiser']
It gets illogically hard about 70%-80% in.
[/QUOTE]

The game is over at 80% with no eggs collected.
They 'quit playing' because they beat the game.
Since you're at 80% and you have no eggs,
you gave up and quit on the last puzzle.
You're saying it's too hard so it's not a good game.

[quote name='gordojones88']The game is over at 80% with no eggs collected.
They 'quit playing' because they beat the game.
Since you're at 80% and you have no eggs,
you gave up and quit on the last puzzle.
You're saying it's too hard so it's not a good game.[/QUOTE]

I didn't actually give up, I guess I just wasn't that enthralled to complete the last puzzle.
But now that I know I'm almost done, I guess I can bother to finish it.
I have a few eggs, I didn't realize those were necessary for completion.
Then again I am not an achievement whore...
I could honestly care less about hide & seek items in any game if it doesn't add to the gameplay.

I didn't say the game was bad, I said it isn't revolutionary, hell it's not even evolutionary.
It's definitely not the game of the year material I was expecting. But neither was Braid.
It's worth $5-$10 if you like these kind of games, and obviously I do.
And apparently it's not as hard as I thought, just harder to 100% complete due to hide'n'seek.
I don't regret my purchase of Limbo, and would recommend it to anyone that likes this style of game at

[quote name='genfuyung']Has any of the Pinball FX stuff ever gone on sale?[/QUOTE]

the original pinball fx was on sale for half price over a year ago, other than that, no

[quote name='raiser']
I have a few eggs, I didn't realize those were necessary for completion.
Then again I am not an achievement whore...
I could honestly care less about hide & seek items in any game if it doesn't add to the gameplay.
And apparently it's not as hard as I thought, just harder to 100% complete due to hide'n'seek.
[/QUOTE]

It's weird design choice, but getting all 10 hidden eggs will take you from 80% game over complete to 111%. Finding and reaching the hidden eggs will seriously challenge your gameplay skills required rather than just simply beating the game.

Downloaded the Star Trek D-A-C demo, and is it just me or is the gameplay pretty weak? I love Star Trek, but even for what this game is (a top-down shooter), it just seemed boring. It seems like a time waster game more than anything and I couldn't see myself playing it for more than 5 minutes. Even at 400 points, I really doubt it's worth it.

I definitely vote for a different thread for Windows Phone games. I believe we've had discussions in the past, and most people just wanted this to be a thread for XBLA discussion.

Regardless of which thread it goes in, I would really appreciate updates on Windows Phone game price drops. I'm one of the few people I know with a WP7, but I absolutely love it.

Since the thread gets little traffic that's why I'd think it wouldn't be a bad idea to just have them in here. People complained about combining iPad deals with the iPhone thread, and that ended up not making a difference.

But ultimately it's up to Red, since it's his thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back