Xbox 360 Game Install Sizes and Loading Times: 900+ games! (Celebrating 5+ years!)

I am officially no longer an Xbox 360 owner. That said, I would like Dumlaox to carry on (with help of course). All I ask is that any sort of credit (if any is ever mentioned) includes a small mention of myself as perhaps one of the original thread/list founders? If not, no big deal. Carry on the good fight my friends!

Thanks much, SynGamer. As of right now I'm going to keep this thread open as opposed to creating a brand new one. In the meantime, I've always kept watch on the Wiki page and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future and anyone is welcome to make additions to both that and the initial post here. That being said, I know that both pages aren't in parity so that's something I'll be working on for the weekend.

What does installing a game do because i dont see a difference in my saints row 2 and im really considering clearing the 7.1 gb it takes

List updated, achieving parity with the Wiki for now.

xFaith: Game installation stops the system from having to read the disc all of the time when running the game, reducing wear and tear on the drive in the process and making the system quieter when playing the game. In some cases, it also reduces the average loading time for the game. According to the findings, Saints Row 2 has an average load time of faster than 6 seconds from HDD compared to DVD loads. However, the game installs at 6.8GB, not 7.1. Are you sure you're running Saints Row 2 or are you running Saints Row: The Third?

Glad to see you took my advice Syn! and well.. video games arent everything... im sure you will get a 360 again. :p thanks for making this in the first place... im suprised to be honest that we dont have one anywhere like this on the internet. o_O

Another new dashboard update it appears...any word on if install sizes are the same. curiosity has struct me again :p

EDIT1: I just noticed that this thread was created on November 3rd, 2008, which means we've now officially been working on this little project for 3 years! I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed throughout the numerous dashboard updates Microsoft has thrown our way. They may have slowed us down but we managed to keep the list updated and growing. That said, I added a 'cheat sheet' to the top of the official wiki page (hidden in the code) to make it easier for newcomers to update. I also added the "Jump to letter" option to the bottom of the wiki for convenience. Keep up the great work everyone :)

EDIT2: We are now the 3rd most-viewed thread on the 360 forum...just sayin'.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dumlaox']List updated, achieving parity with the Wiki for now.

xFaith: Game installation stops the system from having to read the disc all of the time when running the game, reducing wear and tear on the drive in the process and making the system quieter when playing the game. In some cases, it also reduces the average loading time for the game. According to the findings, Saints Row 2 has an average load time of faster than 6 seconds from HDD compared to DVD loads. However, the game installs at 6.8GB, not 7.1. Are you sure you're running Saints Row 2 or are you running Saints Row: The Third?[/QUOTE]

So I should theoretically be installing games I play frequently?

[quote name='Valorcide']So I should theoretically be installing games I play frequently?[/QUOTE]

Yes. If nothing else you will be cutting down the amount of times the DVD drive has to be used as well as noise from said DVD drive.

List updated. Got the sizes for UFC Personal Trainer and Looney Tunes: Acme Arsenal as well as performance for Bodycount. Here's hoping that the holidays will give us more to add to the list.

Added Autobahn Polizei, MorphX, and Puss in Boots to the list. Also modified the entry for Kengo: Legend of the 9. Same changes made to the Wiki.

I've been meaning to come over here and contribute what I can for some time now but kept putting it off.

Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet - 5.1
Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster - 5.7

When checking my system to the main list, I see discrepancies in these games:

Alan Wake - 6.3 (6.2 listed)
- this is the CE game disc, but I've heard both discs are the same
COD: Modern Warfare 2 - 6.8 (6.5 listed)
Civilization Revolution - 5.0 (4.9 listed)
Darksiders - 6.5 (6.4 listed)
Red Dead Redemption - 6.8 (6.7 listed)
The Orange Box - 4.0 (3.9 listed)

I'm assuming there has to be a good reason for this. Just so we're on the same page, I'm checking my games by this route:

System Settings< Storage< Hard Drive< Games and Apps

I then select the game and check the "Installed Xbox 360 Game" file. These are the numbers I come up with. Why are mine off? Cache has been cleared, but that shouldn't matter, right?

[quote name='TopsideKracker']I've been meaning to come over here and contribute what I can for some time now but kept putting it off.

Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet - 5.1
Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster - 5.7

When checking my system to the main list, I see discrepancies in these games:

Alan Wake - 6.3 (6.2 listed)
- this is the CE game disc, but I've heard both discs are the same
COD: Modern Warfare 2 - 6.8 (6.5 listed)
Civilization Revolution - 5.0 (4.9 listed)
Darksiders - 6.5 (6.4 listed)
Red Dead Redemption - 6.8 (6.7 listed)
The Orange Box - 4.0 (3.9 listed)

I'm assuming there has to be a good reason for this. Just so we're on the same page, I'm checking my games by this route:

System Settings< Storage< Hard Drive< Games and Apps

I then select the game and check the "Installed Xbox 360 Game" file. These are the numbers I come up with. Why are mine off? Cache has been cleared, but that shouldn't matter, right?[/QUOTE]

Have you had these installed for a while? I know that after the NXE update, file sizes decreased slightly, most likely due to the removal of padding/filler content. Try deleting the install for The Orange Box, and then re-install. See if the sizes changes...if you don't mind :)

[quote name='SynGamer']Have you had these installed for a while? I know that after the NXE update, file sizes decreased slightly, most likely due to the removal of padding/filler content. Try deleting the install for The Orange Box, and then re-install. See if the sizes changes...if you don't mind :)[/QUOTE]

Most were installed before the update, but Alan Wake and Darksiders I'm not sure about. I'll start deleting and re-installing to see what's what but you're probably right.

UPDATE:

I won't be able to check RDR or Orange Box (they were both borrowed... I've since then purchased Orange Box, but I won't open it until I'm ready to play it again in hope of finding an original case; I'm one of those OCD freaks).

Just re-installed Civ Rev and its still at 5.0 gb. Darksiders was actually installed less than a week ago, so no sense in checking that. Re-installed MW2 and its still at 6.8 too. I'm not going to bother checking Alan Wake at this point.

Do you (or anyone for that matter) have any of these games that you can double-check to make sure they're right? Anything else you can think of that might cause these differences? Not like its a huge deal, but at this point I'm pretty curious.

Added Soul Calibur V, Marvel Super Hero Squad, and Sesame Street: Once Upon A Monster to the list. I'll be dealing with the Wiki sometime this week.

TopsideKracker - I'll go through the process of rechecking all of those games sometime this week. I've got way too much work piled on at the moment but since I have all of those games in question, it couldn't hurt to do a re-verification on those titles.

Curious, but what size HDD do you have on your system? I'm currently rolling with a 320GB HDD and I'll be curious to see if that makes a difference for some odd reason.

[quote name='dumlaox']Added Soul Calibur V, Marvel Super Hero Squad, and Sesame Street: Once Upon A Monster to the list. I'll be dealing with the Wiki sometime this week.

TopsideKracker - I'll go through the process of rechecking all of those games sometime this week. I've got way too much work piled on at the moment but since I have all of those games in question, it couldn't hurt to do a re-verification on those titles.

Curious, but what size HDD do you have on your system? I'm currently rolling with a 320GB HDD and I'll be curious to see if that makes a difference for some odd reason.[/QUOTE]

250 HDD (Modern Warfare 2 Bundle)

And like I said, its no big deal. The discrepancies aren't even that big; I'm just curious. And I know that this is primarily used to check which games benefit more from installing them, but if interested I have the CE disc of Alan Wake installed too. I didn't know if that stuff was worth adding or not; I don't know what it is off the top of my head anyhow.

I never realized that both the NeoGAF and stripesonfire sites still did updates. I thought we were the only ones.

Just did a fairly large update for the first post based on the findings on stripesonfire. All of these are game sizes and not performance, something that'll have to get taken care of later. I'll update the first post with any findings from the NeoGAF thread before taking every update and throwing it on the Wiki.

EDIT: We just hit the post character limit again with all of the additions. I'm in the process of editing things down so don't be surprised if things look a bit different in a hour or so.

Edit #2: Alright, I got the post under the limit but it sure wasn't pretty. Sentences had to be edited for length, formatting dots got truncated to dashes, and the Japanese-only games are no longer there. I think we've finally reached that point where the initial post here won't sustain us for much longer so I'll have to start some prep work on a new thread. First things first, I'll have to make sure the wiki is up to date with all of the changes here. Then I'll start off a new thread and start transferring the list from here to there. Once I have it at a state I'm happy with I'll see if I can get someone to pin it. Even when all of that is done, this thread will stay put. This thread has been a labor of love from lots of people for close to three years straight and unless there's a perfectly good reason, there's no way it should just up and disappear.

I'll keep everyone updated on progress in regards to the new thread. In the meantime, there's some work I need to do.

[quote name='dumlaox']I never realized that both the NeoGAF and stripesonfire sites still did updates. I thought we were the only ones.

Just did a fairly large update for the first post based on the findings on stripesonfire. All of these are game sizes and not performance, something that'll have to get taken care of later. I'll update the first post with any findings from the NeoGAF thread before taking every update and throwing it on the Wiki.

EDIT: We just hit the post character limit again with all of the additions. I'm in the process of editing things down so don't be surprised if things look a bit different in a hour or so.

Edit #2: Alright, I got the post under the limit but it sure wasn't pretty. Sentences had to be edited for length, formatting dots got truncated to dashes, and the Japanese-only games are no longer there. I think we've finally reached that point where the initial post here won't sustain us for much longer so I'll have to start some prep work on a new thread. First things first, I'll have to make sure the wiki is up to date with all of the changes here. Then I'll start off a new thread and start transferring the list from here to there. Once I have it at a state I'm happy with I'll see if I can get someone to pin it. Even when all of that is done, this thread will stay put. This thread has been a labor of love from lots of people for close to three years straight and unless there's a perfectly good reason, there's no way it should just up and disappear.

I'll keep everyone updated on progress in regards to the new thread. In the meantime, there's some work I need to do.[/QUOTE]

I see you did what I was considering a few months ago. I've gone through and (roughly) removed the rest of the ... which has reduced the character count down to less than 75,000. There's some spacing that needs to be fixed, but overall, this should tide us over for awhile. I actually like the look. The sizes are in brackets, so, it works.

EDIT: I know I haven't said this enough, but I really appreciate all the help EVERYONE has put into this little project. Over three years and still going strong. Hell, a full on wiki has grown out of this. Very impressive. And considering I'm OCD when it comes to other sites that also report sizes, only two of us are still around ;)

Added sizes for UFC Undisputed 3 and Asura's Wrath. I also did some major code cleanup to the list. You shouldn't notice anything when looking at the list but if you edit it using a browser like Chrome, you shouldn't see the torrent of tags like you did before. Whether this affects character length or not I have no idea.

Added size and performance for Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13. Added sizes for Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, Binary Domain, Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition, and Ninja Gaiden 3.

Added the sizes for a bunch of stuff including:

Devil May Cry HD Collection
Silent Hill HD Collection
Silent Hill: Downpour
Kinect Star Wars
Kinect Sports: Season Two
Birds of Steel
Grand Slam Tennis 2

Also got the size and performance for Ridge Racer Unbounded.

VICTORiOUS: Time To Shine [1.5 GB]

Load times only appeared to improve by 2 seconds or so. And yes, I did intentionally do it in the emphasized pun font the show uses.

It's probably been reported before since it's not on the list, but I don't think "Cabela's Outdoor Adventures" can be installed. Tried it several times on 2 different 360s and the meter never moved.

Kudos to those maintaining and updating this thread! My HDD space is low, so this list lets me see what's the minimum I can delete to fit a new game on it. Much appreciated!

List updated with GunsterRed's findings as well as the performances for Silent Hill HD Collection, Operation Flashpoint: Red River, and History Channel: Great Battles Medieval.

Hulk Hogan Main Event - [349 MB]

Game installed in about 30 seconds! Seems like load times are better by about 3 seconds on average. This game is a total POS, and not even in a so-bad-it's-good way. Just plain awful!

GunstarRed's findings have been put in. Game size for Happy Feet Two is now in and the size and performance for The Witcher 2 is in as well.

Crackdown keeps freezing on my 360. Should I not have installed it to my fat 360's hard drive?

I don't update/connect to the internet as much with my 360. I figured that can't be the problem since I updated about a few months ago. Got the new dashboard.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Crackdown keeps freezing on my 360. Should I not have installed it to my fat 360's hard drive?

I don't update/connect to the internet as much with my 360. I figured that can't be the problem since I updated about a few months ago. Got the new dashboard.[/QUOTE]

Your dash might have been updated but each game could have their own individual patches and those only update whenever you boot up a game. It might be best to go online and start playing Crackdown to see if the patch will help with the freezing issue.

[quote name='dumlaox']Your dash might have been updated but each game could have their own individual patches and those only update whenever you boot up a game. It might be best to go online and start playing Crackdown to see if the patch will help with the freezing issue.[/QUOTE]

Cool thanks, I might do that later today.

Edit: An update did occur when I booted up the game, while connected to Live. Thanks again, never knew about individual games requiring updates.

I think I might have to try with my other games. I go wired with my fat 360.

The way my router is located makes it annoying to hook up an Ethernet cable and then remove it whenever I'm done so nobody trips over. Makes me wonder which games I will now have to update.

Can't edit the Wiki from work, but here are the install sizes (according to stripesonfire.com):

Dead Space 2Disc 1 - 6.3 GB
Disc 2 - 6.5 GB

Does anyone know if it matters what disc or version of a game you use to install a game? I mean, let's say my copy of Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions is installed onto my 360's hard drive.

Later, I decide to trade-in that game and re-buy it when I have the money. Do I need to uninstall my old copy of the same game when I buy another copy again?

I'm guessing it might matter with limited editions/collector's editions/platinum hits with extra content.

Not that big of a deal, worse-case scenario I just reinstall the second copy. You know what would be horrible if game saves or even DLC were disc specific.

As far as I know, your scenario wouldn't need you to uninstall and re-install the same game. I did this with my cousin once where he scratched up his Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 disc. I went over to install my copy to his 360 HDD, had him put in his scratched up disc, and it played just fine.

bread's done
Back