XBOX 360 Jasper Chip Discussion

[quote name='nintendokid']Well I'm waiting for Zulu. I hear that if you commit to using the console for 20 hours or less a week, you get a blow job from it at the end of the week.[/quote]

The blow job puts out 4.6% more heat and is 1% more likely to RRoD.

[quote name='Ruined']similar to the 50-cent heatsink that was used with launch consoles.
[/QUOTE]

Link/wtf? Why would MS risk a $4.50 savings per console over having someone send their 360 back to MS and have them cost more? Doesn't make sense to me.

[quote name='raybert']Are they really switching from a $5 heatsink to 50cent one in the Jasper? That sux. Where did you hear that from?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Link/wtf? Why would MS risk a $4.50 savings per console over having someone send their 360 back to MS and have them cost more? Doesn't make sense to me.[/quote]

When MS switched from the launch 90nm IBM CPU to the Falcon 65nm IBM CPU in the 360, they swapped out the expensive heatsink/heatpipe in the launch consoles to the much cheaper heatsink in the Falcon consoles; do some googling and you will see in images that the launch consoles had a much more expensive CPU heatsink than the Falcon consoles on the CPU. OTOH, Falcon uses a better heatpipe heatsink on the GPU while the launch consoles do not. MS could have avoided RROD entirely if the Falcon GPU heatsink was used instead of the tiny one you see in the launch console, in addition to the cpu heatpipe heatsink.

Since the GPU generates less heat with Jasper, they can similarly switch to a cheaper heatsink and shouldn't have to worry about RROD incidents rising. Part of the reason why we didn't see a big pricedrop when Falcon was introduced was because though they used a cheaper CPU heatsink they swapped out the cheaper GPU heatsink for a more expensive one. That is a big part of how 65nm reduces the cost of the system, the heatsinks don't have to be as costly anymore since less heat needs to be removed.

I was hoping the new 60 GB models would have the Jasper chipset. That's why I'm still hesitant on buying a XBox360.

if you want a Jasper that bad wait till after the Xmas season so all the stores will have a fresh stock. I am waiting till about tax time to grab my new one

[quote name='Ruined']Heed the 360 console guru. My knowledge wise, and yours is not.[/QUOTE]

I understand all what you read and thanks for the valuable input. However, It's still disheartening that MS wouldn't put more money into RROD prevention with the Jaspers even at the lower heat output, because even Falcon's still RROD.

While at Target today, I saw a new shipment of 360's from Lot #0832. I thought that the lot number referred to the date they were produced (ie 0830 = August 30th), but obviously there is no August 32nd. I also remember hearing that anything beyond #0831 might be the Jasper. Can anyone clarify this for me?

No that's not Jasper. Lot 0835 is the latest that has been spotted and THAT'S not Jasper either. The last two digits refers to the week, ie, the 32nd week of the year.

How will we know if it's a Jasper? I was at Costco the other day and they had lot #0836. It's the holiday bundle with Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indy.

[quote name='cag1125']How will we know if it's a Jasper? I was at Costco the other day and they had lot #0836. It's the holiday bundle with Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indy.[/quote]

Until there is more noise about it on the internets. As far as I have seen that's pretty much the latest lot # from you. All around I keep seeing 832 at least.

I'm convinced that Microsoft has a stockpile of Falcon boards to use up and that we won't see a Jasper till after the holidays. I don't think I can wait that long with all the games coming out in the next few weeks. :(

Like cag1125 I've seen some lot #0836s at a few local stores. If I don't find a crazy new 360 in the next few days, like manufactured in October new, I'm going to buy one of the #0836 bundles on the 28th for Fallout 3.

I'm pretty good with electronics so I'll crack it open when I get it to confirm the chipset.

[quote name='ComfortablySad']I'm convinced that Microsoft has a stockpile of Falcon boards to use up and that we won't see a Jasper till after the holidays. I don't think I can wait that long with all the games coming out in the next few weeks. :(
[/quote]

You may be right, I can remember getting mine last Christmas and reading/hearing a lot of talk about people taking their consoles back that were purchased and still unopened for the new falcon boards. Additionally, they also come out with the holiday bundles right after Black Friday further encouraging the returns.

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']Confirmed Jasper chipsets
http://www.360drives.com/list?v_board=5[/QUOTE]

Actually those aren't confirmed at all. Not unless there's a picture somewhere with them, which I didn't see. Other people have reported those same manufacturing dates as Falcons, so I wouldn't trust anything someone posts unless there's pictures.

[quote name='keithp']Actually those aren't confirmed at all. Not unless there's a picture somewhere with them, which I didn't see. Other people have reported those same manufacturing dates as Falcons, so I wouldn't trust anything someone posts unless there's pictures.[/quote]

True no pics but that's one of those sites that 360 modders use to keep track of what drives are found in the systems and due a good job of trying to track their findings as far as hardware goes. I hate to sound kinda of like a dick but if you want a %100 chance of getting your hands on a Jasper the modders are the places to look at as their the one of the first ones to tear down a system just to see the inside and post specific findings such as manufacturing dates other revisions. Places like IGN and the fan boy sites and others due post findings and photos but only after the hacker community has done it first.

" I can always stick my head up a bulls ass to see if is a good steak or not ,but I'd rather take the butchers word for it."

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']True no pics but that's one of those sites that 360 modders use to keep track of what drives are found in the systems and due a good job of trying to track their findings as far as hardware goes. I hate to sound kinda of like a dick but if you want a %100 chance of getting your hands on a Jasper the modders are the places to look at as their the one of the first ones to tear down a system just to see the inside and post specific findings such as manufacturing dates other revisions. Places like IGN and the fan boy sites and others due post findings and photos but only after the hacker community has done it first.

" I can always stick my head up a bulls ass to see if is a good steak or not ,but I'd rather take the butchers word for it."[/QUOTE]

Believe what you want but here's 14 pages of the best thread on Jasper hunting on the web and no one has found one yet. Furthermore there are people using Kill-a-Watts to measure the power consumption of different manufacturing runs, and every single one (INCLUDING those posted on your "modders" site, I may add) have the same power profile of Falcons, NOT Jaspers. So I don't know about you, but I'd rather take hard evidence like power consumption numbers over some modders posting from a drop-down that has a choice for "Jasper"...I'm not trying to be a dick either but I'm just sayin'.....believe what you want...

[quote name='keithp']Believe what you want but here's 14 pages of the best thread on Jasper hunting on the web and no one has found one yet. Furthermore there are people using Kill-a-Watts to measure the power consumption of different manufacturing runs, and every single one (INCLUDING those posted on your "modders" site, I may add) have the same power profile of Falcons, NOT Jaspers. So I don't know about you, but I'd rather take hard evidence like power consumption numbers over some modders posting from a drop-down that has a choice for "Jasper"...I'm not trying to be a dick either but I'm just sayin'.....believe what you want...[/quote]
Yes and very good site but for that matter so is Hack a Day,XboxHacker,The Official Site of Benjamin J Heckendorn, who do the same power reading and such as you listed, just as Xbox hacker was one of the first ones to fully explore the finer details the main board for Linux reasons which i know their as eager as the gamers are to see what has been changed around that has not been in mass media.

Last edited by a moderator:
AnadTech has done a very nice article into Jasper hunting

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3440

Just to be totally clear here, forget the PSU power rating - it can be 175W/14.2A and still be Jasper. The only way the PSU will be an indicator is if you have a 150W/12.1A PSU - that would definitely indicate Jasper. The same goes for the current rating on the console itself - forget it! While 12.1A would definitely be Jasper, 14.2A may be Falcon or Jasper. Current rating on the PSU is completely irrelevant and will be 14.2A on all 175W PSUs, regardless of what is labeled on the console and regardless of what is inside the console.

I never said it wasn't... was just posting the other as the same i do read the whole thing before i post. The whole point of the modder thing was like i said they have the same if not more to gain/lose as the rest of us do

FWIW, I saw Elite Holiday Bundles (with the KFP and LIJ games) at Target in Cerritos, CA. Team FDOU, lot 0837. Would it be safe to say that Elites will have the Jasper MB's first before the Pro's?

Just curious. Thanks.

[quote name='cag1125']FWIW, I saw Elite Holiday Bundles (with the KFP and LIJ games) at Target in Cerritos, CA. Team FDOU, lot 0837. Would it be safe to say that Elites will have the Jasper MB's first before the Pro's?.[/QUOTE]

Doubt it. Probably depends on inventory levels.

Pics of the inside of a Jasper.

This (huge) image will probably go down soon, but:
6c3f98b6.jpg

It's confirmed!! From discussion at xbox-scene.com--

the GPU chip itself is 35mm x 35mm

CPU is 28.9mm x 28.9mm

larger die on the GPU is approx 10.82mm x 10.82mm

smaller die is approx 8.19mm x 8.19mm

and this is what you're looking for-
12.1A anywhere on the box confirms a Jasper console. If Amperage information isn't on the box, look at the power brick. 150W, 12.1A is what you're looking for. The only lot that you find this on (so far) is 0843X FDOU

Last edited by a moderator:
At least give credit to your source [xboxscene].

I have more pics coming at a slightly later time.. i put my Vernier Calipers on both chips and right on the dies of the GPU.. but sadly, i'm an idiot and saved them to my cameras internal memory and realized soon after my cord is MIA at the moment.. so now comes the hunt for that.. yay..

While i'm looking for the cord..

the GPU chip itself is 35mm x 35mm

CPU is 28.9mm x 28.9mm

larger die on the GPU is approx 10.82mm x 10.82mm

smaller die is approx 8.19mm x 8.19mm

i say approx because there may be thermal compound interfering with a precise measurement .. so could be smaller actually..

the overall chip sizes are dead accurate though
smile.gif

Thanks for looking..

and i'll get those other requests up shortly here too

How long until we will see these in mos stores? No correct answer on this ovbiously but lets just base it on past data(release of falcons, ect)....How long do you think it will before we can walk into GameStop and have a good chance of finding a Jasper? Weeks? Months? How long did falcons take from first sighting to being common.

Lot Number beginning with 0843 or later = JASPER

08 is the year

43 is the week of the year there are only 52 weeks in a year.

65nm CPU and 65nm GPU (65nm is the big deal about JASPER)

some other random improvements better cooling should make it great.

[quote name='Jake77444']How long until we will see these in mos[t] stores? ...[/quote]

When I was a my local Bestbuy a few days ago, i saw several 0841X systems mixed in with some older stock (0821X). My guess is that we will start seeing jaspers consistently once the current stocks clear out. If the sales continue to do well, we may see them widespread right in time for Christmas. *fingers crossed*

[quote name='evyrew']When I was a my local Bestbuy a few days ago, i saw several 0841X systems mixed in with some older stock (0821X). My guess is that we will start seeing jaspers consistently once the current stocks clear out. If the sales continue to do well, we may see them widespread right in time for Christmas. *fingers crossed*[/quote]
I hope your right. I don't know if I can hold out though, I just traded in my xbox 360 tuesday to GameStop. Now lets see if I can wait it out to get a jasper.

[quote name='Ice Cold']Lot Number beginning with 0843 or later = JASPER

08 is the year

43 is the week of the year there are only 52 weeks in a year.

65nm CPU and 65nm GPU (65nm is the big deal about JASPER)

some other random improvements better cooling should make it great.[/quote]

There have been some 0844's so far that have been falcons though so who knows, its kind of a crapshoot at this point. Only ARCADES have been spotted with jaspers so far.

Yeah looks like I am on Jasper just picked up an arcade (traded in core for it) the power plug, and brick and manufacture date all match up. Plus jasper systmes are supposed to have a new 256 flash memory built in, this would easily allow NXE out of the box which my box had. (it was never used I still had to choose my initial set up prefrences and watch that stupid HD movie)

the Biggest news of ALL

Is that smart people on Xbox-scence etc NEOGAF have spotted

65nm Aracdes which are JASPERS BUT But....listen carefully they have 256MB on Board Flash memory and come with the NXE

PRE-INSTALLED !!!!!!!!!! Yes NXE Pre-Installed!!!!

OMG!
OMG!

Tommorrow I am trading in my 360 to Gamestop for $120 (we get to keep the Hard drive)

And Buying the JASPER Arcde model.

[quote name='ninja dog']150 watts? Isn't falcon 125? also, any difference in noise?[/QUOTE]
Falcon is 175.

[quote name='Ice Cold']the Biggest news of ALL

Is that smart people on Xbox-scence etc NEOGAF have spotted

65nm Aracdes which are JASPERS BUT But....listen carefully they have 256MB on Board Flash memory and come with the NXE

PRE-INSTALLED !!!!!!!!!! Yes NXE Pre-Installed!!!!

OMG!
OMG!

Tommorrow I am trading in my 360 to Gamestop for $120 (we get to keep the Hard drive)

And Buying the JASPER Arcde model.[/QUOTE]
The one Xbox-scener who said NXE was pre-installed was wrong. Turns out he popped on his old HD, which had NXE on it.

I know my box is so quiet no noise at all when playing installed games. Halo 3 is not installed I played it last night and it was no where near the noise of any other 360 I have heard it was pretty quiet too.

Week 1 Day 1 Jasper are 10-23-08 Arcade model

Anything Arcade that is 0843X, Manf Date 10-23-08 TEAM FDOU or later then you have a jasper. You can confirm this like said in previous posts by 150w, 12.1a PS or console.

I purchased a Manf date 10-22-08 Lot 0843X TEAM FDOU Arcade model and it is a falcon. Looks like the first day of jasper production was 10-23-08

Does no one remember anything from the release of the Falcon? When the first Falcon was found, not every unit released afterward was also a Falcon. They don't switch the entirety of all their factories over to new hardware in 1 day, it was a gradual process. If the introduction of the Falcon is anything to go by, not every unit after 0843X will be a Jasper.

Also, the first Falcons to come out still had old power supplies packaged with them. So just because you have a Falcon power supply doesn't mean you don't have a Jasper.

I picked up one of those arcade bundles from walmart with guitar hero today. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it is a jasper. It's going back tomorrow. I want to have the newer version and should just wait a little longer.

so i bought a 20gb about 9 months ago.
just bought an elite and it is WAY more quiet than the 20gb
both had a 175w ps.
the elite is far far cooler as well.

[quote name='erehwon']I picked up one of those arcade bundles from walmart with guitar hero today. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it is a jasper. It's going back tomorrow. I want to have the newer version and should just wait a little longer.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Dante Devil']I picked up a a model 0841. Two weeks shy of Jasper manufacture date. Should I take it back and wait for a jasper to come in?[/QUOTE]

In similar positions as both you guys...eh...the way I see it, a Walmart warranty is 20.00 for 2 years. You can't beat that. I think I might just stick with a warranty + falcon.

bread's done
Back