XBOX 360 Jasper Chip Discussion

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']Has anyone here spotted or heard of a Jasper going RROD? I'm hoping the answer is no and that the RROD nonsense is finally completely over with.[/QUOTE]

Give it a year and then you will get a better idea of how well the Jasper will hold up. A few months is not enough time to say if the Jasper is going to be the greatest setup as so many people are hoping.

[quote name='Owen']Give it a year and then you will get a better idea of how well the Jasper will hold up. A few months is not enough time to say if the Jasper is going to be the greatest setup as so many people are hoping.[/QUOTE]

So true. However, mine will arrive next week, and at least now my light bill will not sky rocket as much as it would with a "first-generation" 360, which is always a plus.

[quote name='foltzie']http://www.capcom-unity.com/snow_infernus/blog/2009/02/26/major_nelson_unboxes_the_re5_red_xbox_360

Its not explicitly mentioned to be a Jasper, but Major Nelson mentions the 150W power supply in this video for the RE5 360 bundle...

I may have to jump on that particular item...[/QUOTE]

I was just tossing this up last night, but I have to give kudos to Major Nelson... Mentioning the PSU and the manufacture date was a brialliant move to give a heads up to us forum dwellers about the Jasper, but keeping in line with Microsoft's stated public relations line that they consider all Xbox 360's be it Arcade, Pro, or Elite lines as always equal for consumers.

[quote name='BuckinKaeding']Bought a 360 Yesterday from Gamestop. It was the one w/ Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indy.

Its a Faclon[/quote]
I'm pretty sure that all the holiday bundles of 2008 were falcon. It's a safe bet that they are good consoles since they were the last batch of falcons.

just picked up a pro from walmart....After searching and reading I'm about 90% certain it's a jasper.

Lot no: 0842x
Team: CSON
Mfg date: 10.22.2008
under the bar code: 12,1A.5

STORY!: ok i went and traded in part of my ps2 library of games two days ago and got 115$..plus the money i already had 101$..i had the exact same amount for the total price of an xbox 360 arcade jasper...the jasper model is very good..wen i feel the back of the xbox jasper, i can feel the hot air leaving and the smooth run of the xbox is cool...thats how i got the xbox 360 jasper....

STORY!: lets get to the point..i have my ps2 still and im going to trade it in tommorow..i did some reasearch on the trade of the ps2 including games and accesories to see how much i would get..the price that i got was 61.75 dallors know u guys kno the arcade version doesnt come with a hardrive or wireless network adapter or games...

QUESTIONS!:
Should i get the used 20gig hardrive for 60$???
Should i save up the 61$ and get a wireless network adapter???
Should i use the money to buy a game???(call of duty 4)

1. Get at least a 60 gig hdd
2. Do you plan on playing XBL right away?
3. Save up to buy that, or any other games for that matter, what are you going to use your 360 for?

[quote name='BackInBlack']1. Get at least a 60 gig hdd
2. Do you plan on playing XBL right away?
3. Save up to buy that, or any other games for that matter, what are you going to use your 360 for?[/quote]

1. well i think im getting 61+ dollars,so i guess i could wait a little longer and get 60gig live pack
2.im on low budget right know so i might not get live right away
3.if i dont get more money in a month and still dont have a hardrive,ill buy COD4...im mostly using it too play games(single player) as if i had a ps2

QUESTIONS!:

You can pick up a used 20gb for less through eBay ($40 shipped)

Cheaper to just get a longer ethernet cable and no lag.

Should i use the money to buy a game???(call of duty 4)

With the money saved, get two used games! or even three!

[quote name='Drocka818']1. well i think im getting 61+ dollars,so i guess i could wait a little longer and get 60gig live pack
2.im on low budget right know so i might not get live right away
3.if i dont get more money in a month and still dont have a hardrive,ill buy COD4...im mostly using it too play games(single player) as if i had a ps2[/quote]

get a used 120gb hdd imo, unless you are going to get the 60gb live pack for cheaper than 100 bucks.

[quote name='Drocka818']
QUESTIONS!:
Should i use the money to buy a game???(call of duty 4)[/quote]

1. if u dont plan on having dlc on it, it will do.
2. get an ethernet cable instead if possible. better connection than the wireless.
3. ur gonna need some games. look around first b4 getting used games. i almost got vf5 for bout 30 used from gamestop but at target it was 20.

You need a HDD if you play most mutiplayer games online, if the game has been patched and you don't have a hard drive, then you can't play online because you don't have the latest version of the game.

Also, if you get COD4 for multiplayer, you should get the mappack as well, which you also need a HDD for. So basically, a HDD is essential.

Less than 8 hours.

My new Jasper board (manufacture date 12/08) had less than 8 hours of play time on it. And now it's on its way back to MS in a coffin box. This is my second Jasper. Am I the only one getting pissed off at this company's inability to make a decent console? I have NES systems that still work perfectly for Chrissakes. Even my original Xbox (v1.0) still runs fine, albeit loud as a motherfucker. My PS3 runs fine without error, my Wii gets warm but hardly hot to the touch, my DreamCast can still chug along with the best of them, the SNES is working like a champ, the Genesis can still kick ass, and .. well, you're getting the picture, right?

My point in all of this (aside from a rather anti-MS rant) is that these Jaspers don't end the RROD problem, and I doubt MS ever will. I'm thinking it's time to abandon the 360 until they fix their problems, if ever. Once Sony fixes their upscaling issue, that's it -- I'm sold on the PS3. It may have a limited library, but what good is a game library I can't play because I'm always sending the console in for repair?

Thanks for listening.

jaspers have been released so recently for all we know They have a higher defective rate. Right now its too soon to tell.

IMO the best 360's were the Frankentein Models.

These are the older 90nm models with a GIANT heatsink improved unit covering both the CPU and GPU

again... people need to stop comparing the 360 to the over 20 year old NES. Crack open both a NES and 360 and you will notice a lot more sophisticated components inside the 360.

Fine. Let's compare it to the PS3. A failure rate of 10% vs.. What, damn near 90%? You can call it what you will, but the system is still failing right and left. I'm becoming a Sony fanboy.. And I'm dying a little inside because of it. :/

I love it how every time a new 360 model comes out, people proclaim, "this should fix the RROD." Here we are, countless revisions later, and they STILL can't get it right. It amuses me to no end.

I had an SNES it never broke down
I had a N64 It never broke down
I had a Gamecube it never broke down
I have a Wii its still kicking 2 360's later.

And my Gameboy Color never broke and my DS Lite has never broken.

And I had 3 bad PSP's But I returned or Sony Replaced them. Don't care because my PSP was FREE I will miss you Lazy Circuit City employees

So far I've had 6 bad 360's but no complaints Microsoft has always given me awesome compensation, Free Games Free swag new Controllers Vision Cams 1600 free Microsoft Points.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I love it how every time a new 360 model comes out, people proclaim, "this should fix the RROD." Here we are, countless revisions later, and they STILL can't get it right. It amuses me to no end.[/quote]

Jasper boards are the first ones to be heavily touted in the media as "the end of the rrod" though.. Just sayin'.

[quote name='Hacker Snacker']I had an SNES it never broke down
I had a N64 It never broke down
I had a Gamecube it never broke down
I have a Wii its still kicking 2 360's later.

[/QUOTE]

I had a NES and it eventually went kaput.
I had a Sega Genesis and the sound eventually went kaput on it (still played though).
I had a N64 and it never broke.
I had a Xbox and developed a case of the "Dirty Disc Errors", sent in once and still had the same problems.
I have a Wii and it hasn't broke.
I have a 360 and it hasn't broke.

Point is gaming consoles are complex machinery and have failure rates just like any other electronics. As far as saying that the Jasper was an end to all RRODs, is that something that the media gaming sites purported or is that something that came directly from MS themselves? There are bound to be consoles with the Jasper chip that fail. Hopefully, the failure rate will be lower than what it has with previous chip versions. Only time will tell us that.

[quote name='jaysapathy']Jasper boards are the first ones to be heavily touted in the media as "the end of the rrod" though.. Just sayin'.[/quote]

Which is exactly my point. Before them, there was another one (the name escapes me) that was supposed to be the end all, be all, when the elite came out. Then the Pro's with HDMI. So on and so on. At this point, it's anyone's guess, "media" or not, as to when (or if) this problem will ever get addressed correctly.

I've known several people now who have had so many 360's die, that they've gone over to the PS3 side of things and promise to never buy another MS console again.

Please don't compare the 360 to systems with no moving parts. Compare it to something similar. Something with a heatsink, a fan, a disc drive, etc. Don't compare it to a freaking NES, which is so simple, that we can emulate it with only a few lines of code.

Anyway, totally agree that the 360 has too many problems. ;)

That's a shame but It's to be expected that when you buy a 360 it has a chance to fail. Two times in such a short span is insane though. I'm on my second 360 (I sold my refurb) since launch and so are my other friends (and some are on just one) so it makes me wonder how so many people here on CAG have gone through so many. I guess we are just lucky.

With that said my Wii does have the "dead pixel" effect because of a overheated video card and I haven't even put 500 hours into it. I've been reluctant to send it in since I hardly use it and It doesn't even bother me anymore when I do use it (2 hours a week usually).

Obviously I haven't had both for the same period of time but my first 360 has never given me trouble but my launch Gamecube no longer spins or reads discs. I don't doubt that the 360's failure rate is at or near 50%, but 90% it is not. Vocal minority, etc.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']That's a shame but It's to be expected that when you buy a 360 it has a chance to fail. Two times in such a short span is insane though. I'm on my second 360 (I sold my refurb) since launch and so are my other friends (and some are on just one) so it makes me wonder how so many people here on CAG have gone through so many. I guess we are just lucky.[/quote]

To me, this is how you do it. Yes, the 360 is not a perfect machine. But that's the hand we've been dealt. At least learn to play it correctly. When my 3/06 360 finally RR'ed back in November, I sent it into MS, ordered a nice core from Amazon for $200 with free Lego Batman, and then sold my refurb on ebay with a nice 90 day warranty from MS for $175.

After fees and shipping, I paid what...$50 for a brand new upgraded system (Falcon HDMI), with a fresh warranty, AND a game I was interested in anyway. Knowing how systems tend to fail, there's no way I'd chance holding onto a refurb. But I've put in the time and done my homework. If other people feel safe buying one, that's their business. You guys have all the resources available to you on this site. Just don't play into Microsoft's hands and you'll be fine.

[quote name='jaysapathy']Jasper boards are the first ones to be heavily touted in the media as "the end of the rrod" though.. Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]
Falcons were, actually.

I don't know about RROD but my freaking Jasper 60GB system I picked up back on 12/31/08 has been freezing on me literally every 1-2 days with either a black screen or just a frozen, unresponsive in-game screen. It's happened on 3 different games now that I've been playing recently: COD:WaW, RE5, and Fable 2. Two of those I ended up installing to my HDD just in case it was a DVD drive read issue and it's still freezing.

[quote name='jaysapathy']Fine. Let's compare it to the PS3. A failure rate of 10% vs.. What, damn near 90%? You can call it what you will, but the system is still failing right and left. I'm becoming a Sony fanboy.. And I'm dying a little inside because of it. :/[/quote]

I wouldn't jump too quick to the PS3 is better conclusion because all of my in-person friends who own PS3's have had them fail and my MGS4 Bundle PS3 that I got last June is now randomly not reading blurays and I've used it far far far less than my launch 360 that just finally RR'd this past New Years, which MS decided to warranty even though it was past 3 yrs. I can't say the same for all my friends who have to pay Sony $150 to get their systems fixed after failing in under 3 yrs.

[quote name='pete5883']Falcons were, actually.[/quote]

Exactly. Besides, the 360 cannot be "RRoD-proof." No piece of electronics, no matter how well designed, is exempt from potential failure.

[quote name='woodcan']I wouldn't jump too quick to the PS3 is better conclusion because all of my in-person friends who own PS3's have had them fail and my MGS4 Bundle PS3 that I got last June is now randomly not reading blurays and I've used it far far far less than my launch 360 that just finally RR'd this past New Years, which MS decided to warranty even though it was past 3 yrs. I can't say the same for all my friends who have to pay Sony $150 to get their systems fixed after failing in under 3 yrs.[/quote]

Well, the reality, the PS3's failure rate is certainly dramatically less than the 360's, especially when you take into consideration the mountain of early 360 consoles that failed. If the PS3's failure rate was even nearly as bad, you would see more people talk about it.

[quote name='woodcan']I don't know about RROD but my freaking Jasper 60GB system I picked up back on 12/31/08 has been freezing on me literally every 1-2 days with either a black screen or just a frozen, unresponsive in-game screen. It's happened on 3 different games now that I've been playing recently: COD:WaW, RE5, and Fable 2. Two of those I ended up installing to my HDD just in case it was a DVD drive read issue and it's still freezing.[/QUOTE]

That happened with me a couple of times, playing installed games too. Man, I hope these Jasper's don't get problems, because I'd have no way to send it to Microsoft here.

Why did Microsoft lie, saying that defective rates were within the normal range for consumer electronics devices of 3% to 5%?

From best estimates since Microsoft does not see fit to dignify its customers and preffers to ignore it they don't talk about defective rates. Retail sources and insiders place that rate at or above 30%. Should that not trigger a product recall?

For it to be a Jasper t has to have the 150w

power brick and say 12,1A.5 under the date and bar code

such low power usage would surely make it a JASPER

you can hear Major Nelson talk about the new Red Resident Evil 360's as having the new 150 watt power supply.

Since he can't directly say they are Jasper this is his secret way of confirming it since all the RE5 bundles are Jaspers

And he even shows the new connectors and the manufacture date as 1-16-2009

very nice Major nice way of confirming Jasper Elite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWk1bv__XPk

After this the new Chipset should be Vallhalla which either goes down to 45nm or combines the CPU and GPU to make everything very low power and cheap to make this should also trigger a new 360 SKU and form factor redesign to a smaller console evidence of this can be found in that Microsoft has sopped making ELITE 360's the black units the retail channel is dry for that SKU.

Did some checking at two local Bestbuys today. Looking through the box window all of the black elites had 14.1 amp to the left of the serial number / mfg date. Only the arcades had the 12.1 amp rating.

[quote name='Achuba Nanoia']That happened with me a couple of times, playing installed games too. Man, I hope these Jasper's don't get problems, because I'd have no way to send it to Microsoft here.[/QUOTE]

This has been happening on my 360 Jasper. MFG 3-25-09. 1.5 months old. Screen Freezes and the system becomes unresponsive (can't even turn off the controller). :roll:

Game was on disc, not HDD. Music or background noise still plays though. Strange.

[quote name='woodcan']I don't know about RROD but my freaking Jasper 60GB system I picked up back on 12/31/08 has been freezing on me literally every 1-2 days with either a black screen or just a frozen, unresponsive in-game screen. It's happened on 3 different games now that I've been playing recently: COD:WaW, RE5, and Fable 2. Two of those I ended up installing to my HDD just in case it was a DVD drive read issue and it's still freezing.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Achuba Nanoia']That happened with me a couple of times, playing installed games too. Man, I hope these Jasper's don't get problems, because I'd have no way to send it to Microsoft here.[/QUOTE]

Freezing has been happening on my 360 Jasper. MFG 3-25-09. 1.5 months old. Screen Freezes and the system becomes unresponsive (can't even turn off the controller). :roll:

Game was on disc, not HDD. Music or background noise still plays sometimes though. Strange.

Where you messing with the Guide Button at the time to get to the dashboard or had someone send you a message or a friend notification pop up? I notice that this new dashboard seems to lag in some games and becomes unresponsive at times when I try to answer a message or just go to the dashboard while playing a game.

[quote name='Owen']Where you messing with the Guide Button at the time to get to the dashboard or had someone send you a message or a friend notification pop up? I notice that this new dashboard seems to lag in some games and becomes unresponsive at times when I try to answer a message or just go to the dashboard while playing a game.[/QUOTE]

I know exactly the lag that you're talking about. After you press the guide button, there's a lag before that pops up. Sometimes after I boot up my system, the screen also stays at that Xbox 360 title screen for awhile. That lag does happen when switching between HUDs, but what I get is like system unresponsive and the controller won't even switch off. Remove the batteries from the controller and the "Please Reconnect Controller" doesn't pop up.

http://anythingthatsechssupport.blogspot.com/

[quote name='perdition(troy']I barely play my jasper (maybe 10 hours a week tops) and I've had the same issue as the above poster. Sigh.[/QUOTE]

On the same games or different games? All the time?

I don't think MS would just change everything slightly and just remove the 3RL all together, to let the unit run until the board or lens does actually burn out...

[quote name='christen25']On the same games or different games? All the time?
[/QUOTE]

GH WT / GH 3 / Tales of Vesperia.

Those are the games that it has done it on in the past 3 weeks or so. It isn't a constant thing. When I play I play roughly 3-4 hours straight, and when it happens it happens once or twice in that period. It's not an every time I play thing, maybe 1/3-1/5 of the time I play. I think I'll just start keeping track of it (not that any of you care when my xbox freezes, it'll just be nice to see it for myself).

I think its important some realize that when you mass manufacture a complex item for a cheap cost, you are going to have defective units and units that break over time no matter how good the design is. That is simply how it works when you need to deliver an expensive and complex item for a low price.

Bottom line is that the original XBOX 360 design and manufacturing was bad; the failure rate was MUCH too high and there clearly were issues both on the design side and manufacturing side. However, later design revisions such as Falcon, Opus, and Jasper have both solid design & manufacturing that result in most units being very reliable. That being said, there is still going to be many units that break due to the nature of the product category. So don't expect that just because you bought a Jasper it means it is bulletproof... Kinda scratch my head when people wouldn't buy a Falcon or upgraded Falcon to Jasper when the Falcon design proved reliable (unlike Jasper, which is relatively new).

To the person looking for the Jasper Elite, my advice is don't bother & buy a Falcon. Not worth the hassle when Falcon is proven reliable and Jasper is not proven any more reliable with several owners experiencing various issues as documented here. How much would it suck if you waited and spent all that time looking for a Jasper Elite and then it broke on you? It is a very real possibility given the nature of console hardware.

[quote name='Ruined']I think its important some realize that when you mass manufacture a complex item for a cheap cost, you are going to have defective units and units that break over time no matter how good the design is. That is simply how it works when you need to deliver an expensive and complex item for a low price.

Bottom line is that the original XBOX 360 design and manufacturing was bad; the failure rate was MUCH too high and there clearly were issues both on the design side and manufacturing side. However, later design revisions such as Falcon, Opus, and Jasper have both solid design & manufacturing that result in most units being very reliable. That being said, there is still going to be many units that break due to the nature of the product category. So don't expect that just because you bought a Jasper it means it is bulletproof... Kinda scratch my head when people wouldn't buy a Falcon or upgraded Falcon to Jasper when the Falcon design proved reliable (unlike Jasper, which is relatively new).

To the person looking for the Jasper Elite, my advice is don't bother & buy a Falcon. Not worth the hassle when Falcon is proven reliable and Jasper is not proven any more reliable with several owners experiencing various issues as documented here. How much would it suck if you waited and spent all that time looking for a Jasper Elite and then it broke on you? It is a very real possibility given the nature of console hardware.[/QUOTE]
Falcons are unreliable. they are prone to have the e74 failures. and its above the accepted 2% failure rate.

bread's done
Back